• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outriders is currently #1 Top Paid game on Xbox Store

Fredrik

It’s great that it’s selling well in the US but why isn’t it selling well in other parts of the world?
As I said earlier, go to the bottom of the page linked in the OP, click the globe then you can check where Outriders is on other countries top lists. I haven’t seen it at the top on any big EU market for example.

Kagey K

Banned
It’s great that it’s selling well in the US but why isn’t it selling well in other parts of the world?
As I said earlier, go to the bottom of the page linked in the OP, click the globe then you can check where Outriders is on other countries top lists. I haven’t seen it at the top on any big EU market for example.
I thank that goes to taste.

It’s like asking why isn’t “Are a you Being Served” or “Black Adder” the top rated shows in the US.

Maybe the game doesn’t click for people in those countries, or they never gave it a go.

Even though the world is getting smaller globally, different regions still have different tastes.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Gamepass = demopass

Joke aside, majority of gamepass consumer is not going to buy a physical copy when they can play the game with a much lower price, except for collectors and such.

Its a fact.

Last edited:

Vae_Victis

Banned
Isn't that just a list of the most downloaded/played paid games, in contrast to the one of free-to-play games also visible in the store? As in, not the games people paid the most for, but simply non-f2p games "in the spotlight" so to speak?

Does Microsoft explain anywhere how that list works exactly? It could be curated to an extent for all we know (as in, it takes the most 5-10-15 games people are engaging with, and lists them to prioritize what they think might sell more at any given time, like new releases).

I really wouldn't read much into this, there are too many unknown variables. This is a new release and it's selling decently on all platforms, so it's probably also selling on Xbox, but how much exactly, I don't think this listing gives us any solid information.

Last edited:

MacReady13

I'm playing it on gamepass, really enjoying it but i have no idea why people would opt to buy when they can play 400 games on gamepass?!

I used to buy all my movies on Blu-ray, I used to buy all my music on CD, I used to buy all my games on disc.

Now I just think, what's the point!? If there were any incentive like the media increasing in value over time then cool but in most cases this does not happen...

I think when Sony get their own competitive version of gamepass it will be huge too.
Maybe because some of us want to own our games instead of renting them and then seeing them taken away after a few months. I mean, is that not an option we are allowed to like?

As for this game selling so well on Xbox, how could it be selling so well if so many people have game pass and are getting it “for free”? Maybe there are more of us out there who actually prefer to own our games instead of renting them...

what are you even talking about? it’s at the top also in the other bigger markets in the world.

In Germany it’s the best selling full priced game: https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/store/top-paid/games/xbox

In the UK it#s the second best selling full priced game: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/store/top-paid/games/xbox?source=lp

And yeah, no one gives a shit about small countries, like finland, so not checking those.

and Germany and the UK are the biggest markets in Europe.

Fredrik

I thank that goes to taste.

It’s like asking why isn’t “Are a you Being Served” or “Black Adder” the top rated shows in the US.

Maybe the game doesn’t click for people in those countries, or they never gave it a go.

Even though the world is getting smaller globally, different regions still have different tastes.
Maybe it should be in the thread title that this is selling well in US only. As someone who lives outside of the US I’m not seeing a cause for celebration. Have anyone actually found any other country where it’s at the top?
No idea why it’s not selling, maybe GP is bigger outside of the US? 🤷‍♂️

Kagey K

Banned
Isn't that just a list of the most downloaded/played paid games, in contrast to the one of free-to-play games also visible in the store? As in, not the games people paid the most for, but simply non-f2p games "in the spotlight" so to speak?
There is a top paid games section, a top free games section and a most played section.

The most Played is by hours and Unique Users.

Top paid and top free are revenue.

Kagey K

Banned
Maybe it should be in the thread title that this is selling well in US only. As someone who lives outside of the US I’m not seeing a cause for celebration. Have anyone actually found any other country where it’s at the top?
No idea why it’s not selling, maybe GP is bigger outside of the US? 🤷‍♂️
What are the games above it and below it where you are?

Last edited:

Fredrik

what are you even talking about? it’s at the top also in the other bigger markets in the world.

In Germany it’s the best selling full priced game: https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/store/top-paid/games/xbox

In the UK it#s the second best selling full priced game: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/store/top-paid/games/xbox?source=lp

And yeah, no one gives a shit about small countries, like finland, so not checking those.

and Germany and the UK are the biggest markets in Europe.
So we are celebrating a #20 spot on a top list now? The thread could be clearer that we’re only talking about full prices games. I mean what other full priced games released recently that it’s competing with?

Last edited:

Chukhopops

While this is true, that study also highlights why GP really isn't the "best deal in gaming" that GP evangelists try to convince you it is.

GP is a rental service that gives you new games on day 1, only to then cycle them out in order to push you into buying the full versions on XBL.

I think a service like that might be a decent value at $5/month. But $15/month is a shockingly terrible value.
If I’m still playing Outriders in six months then I’m ok with buying it for whatever price it sells at by then minus 10%. But most likely I will finish it once, maybe twice with a different class and move on after having fun with it for 30-40 hours.

So we are celebrating a #20 spot on a top list now? The thread could be clearer that we’re only talking about full prices games. I mean what other full priced games released recently that it’s competing with?

What are you Talking about? It’s at #6 in Germany. I mean come on. Obviously if a sale is going on, e.g. the Witcher for €5.99 it’s going to sell more. But this doesn’t really matter at all.
What matters is revenue. And as you can see, although it’s full priced. And it’s on gamepass DAY ONE FOR FREE, it’s still selling well.
No matter how you are going to try to spin it, it’s selling well on Xbox.

Fredrik

What are you Talking about? It’s at #6 in Germany. I mean come on. Obviously if a sale is going on, e.g. the Witcher for €5.99 it’s going to sell more. But this doesn’t really matter at all.
What matters is revenue. And as you can see, although it’s full priced. And it’s on gamepass DAY ONE FOR FREE, it’s still selling well.
No matter how you are going to try to spin it, it’s selling well on Xbox.
Lol calm down I’m not spinning anything and I love GP, just trying to paint a more realistic picture for the worldwide market than what we see in the OP. It’s linked to a MS storepage and it’s a worldwide board and that toplist ain’t looking like that if you follow the link outside of the US where it gets redirected to your local storepage where Outriders isn’t sitting at #1. And it’s #20 in UK you linked to.

Last edited:
If I’m still playing Outriders in six months then I’m ok with buying it for whatever price it sells at by then minus 10%. But most likely I will finish it once, maybe twice with a different class and move on after having fun with it for 30-40 hours.
My point was that this plan is actually more expensive in the long run than just paying $60 for it up front.

More power to you if you’re okay with that, but it does contradict the “GP is the best deal in gaming” rhetoric.

Fredrik

My point was that this plan is actually more expensive in the long run than just paying $60 for it up front.

More power to you if you’re okay with that, but it does contradict the “GP is the best deal in gaming” rhetoric.
Lol I think you need to split the sub cost over all games you play during that period for that to be a fair take. It’s not like anyone would get Gamepass for 6 months, only play Outriders, then cancel the sub and buy Outriders.

Really enjoying the game but frustrated at the same time. Its been so buggy with servers that I've been booted out even when playing solo.

I've been trying to log in for 2 days now and can't even get past the load screen when I click continue game on solo.

Chukhopops

Between The Medium, Cyber Shadow, Call of the Sea, Monster Train, Jedi Fallen Order and Star Wars Squadrons I’m already breaking even on the year of subscription and that’s only counting what I finished. Soon I will add Outriders too.

But it’s true that the value is proportional to how much you play and how many genres you enjoy. It’s subjective but to me the value is there for sure.

Kao The Kangaroo

Neo Member
Personally - The story sucked me in, it's intense, it's emotional. You bond with the characters around you quickly. There are many twists and turns, and it feels like you're in a sci-fi Game of Thrones universe.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Because many parts of the world actually use US accounts for cheaper deals and better store overall. I use US account for my PS as well although Oman store is now actually mostly cheaper than US, especially the PS Plus is $50 here for 1 year vs $60, and that's without any discount. There is no Oman store for example, and xbox aren't officially released here and in some other parts of the world and most of them just buy US-spec Xbox from the grey market, which as well inflates the US sales. For example TLOU2 is banned here, so you buy US copies here from some smaller shops, but they're afraid now to sell GTA5 as you get a 500 OMR ($1,300 USD) fine. But you can buy it digital anyway with a US account.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Concern

eric cartman respect GIF by South Park

Nyxir

Surprised by the amount of trolling and anger. Even entering the thread expecting to see just that.

and so is gang beasts? from what I'm looking at the list is pretty mediocre making it possible that it didn't sell much just some more than average indy games.

Also, why tf is it not on PC gamepass......
And somehow you missed Call of Duty and GTA.

Surprised by the amount of trolling and anger. Even entering the thread expecting to see just that.

And somehow you missed Call of Duty and GTA.
It flies in the face of the know-it-all losers who think they have business insights into million dollar deals between billion dollar companies. I'm surprised the cognitive dissonance didn't cause their heads to explode.

turtlepowa

Banned
Why do the most generic games imaginable always become so popular?
Casuals love those games and casuals dominate the market by i think easily 80%. On the internet and in forums like this are core gamers that usually get wet panties over (cinematic) singleplayer games and enreage about Fortnite etc.. Casuals usually don't give a shit about (cinematic) singleplayer games and love multiplayer games. It's the same thing with the Oscars. 80% prefer blockbuster popcorn movies, but those never get Oscars.

Fredrik

Because many parts of the world actually use US accounts for cheaper deals and better store overall. I use US account for my PS as well although Oman store is now actually mostly cheaper than US, especially the PS Plus is $50 here for 1 year vs $60, and that's without any discount. There is no Oman store for example, and xbox aren't officially released here and in some other parts of the world and most of them just buy US-spec Xbox from the grey market, which as well inflates the US sales. For example TLOU2 is banned here, so you buy US copies here from some smaller shops, but they're afraid now to sell GTA5 as you get a 500 OMR ($1,300 USD) fine. But you can buy it digital anyway with a US account.
Good thinking there! And that sucks that Xbox isn’t launched in your country. Is it just XSX or previous consoles too?

I was in that situation in Sweden at the start of last gen, probably ranted a lot about it, had to wait an extra year, which was enough for me to build up a solid grudge. 😬

This gen we got it day 1 though 👌

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Good thinking there! And that sucks that Xbox isn’t launched in your country. Is it just XSX or previous consoles too?

I was in that situation in Sweden at the start of last gen, probably ranted a lot about it, had to wait an extra year, which was enough for me to build up a solid grudge. 😬

This gen we got it day 1 though 👌

You could still get one here as the demand is very low nonetheless same as PS5 official price or cheaper from scalpers here. I could've got it day one for 215 OMR ($559) just like PS5 from smaller shops. Xbox never officially released here, also we get plenty of PS exclusives with Arabic subs and some with full translation. Although we study English here but the vast majority don't really understand beyond the very basics.

The real deduplicated number is 467 as of end of March 2021. Note that this includes some games only available on PC.
Ohh.. nope, if I go on the site and pick only consoles with 200 games / page there is less duplication, but the second page is still not complete.

The main reason for someone to get a game instead of registering for a recurring fee service is that they are aware of how things work and they know it will be rotated out of the library at some point, they also known that even if it has 400 games they don't care for 95% of these games because the library depends on the deals MS can muster than whatever the specific client may actually want to play.

I play specific games, not 400 random games, I get free games all the time (Epic, now Sony) there are f2p games--truly f2p on other platforms-- and often I get games on the cheap. How many ufc games do you need? And what about the battlefield games,. If you like the old ones they are pretty cheap by now. Etc.

Bruh, why do you buy games?

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Maybe because some of us want to own our games instead of renting them and then seeing them taken away after a few months. I mean, is that not an option we are allowed to like?
Lol, at this rate, it will be a race between GP and Sony Online servers to see who takes down a game faster.

I wouldn't call any digital purchase "owning" something, in this day and age.

Chukhopops

Ohh.. nope, if I go on the site and pick only consoles with 200 games / page there is less duplication, but the second page is still not complete.

The main reason for someone to get a game instead of registering for a recurring fee service is that they are aware of how things work and they know it will be rotated out of the library at some point, they also known that even if it has 400 games they don't care for 95% of these games because the library depends on the deals MS can muster than whatever the specific client may actually want to play.

I play specific games, not 400 random games, I get free games all the time (Epic, now Sony) there are f2p games--truly f2p on other platforms-- and often I get games on the cheap. How many ufc games do you need? And what about the battlefield games,. If you like the old ones they are pretty cheap by now. Etc.

Bruh, why do you buy games?
I’m not sure what you’re asking but the idea of a catalog isn’t that you use all of it, but that it gives you options. You don’t watch everything that is on Netflix but if you want to watch a specific movie or genre it’s nice that it is there. It’s nice that my nephew can play Minecraft Dungeons when he comes without having to buy it. Same with every subscription really.

I still buy games, I bought MHRise and the Repentance extension for Isaac this month. It’s just a matter of having options for a low price.

As for the count of games, feel free to deduplicate them if you want, but if you go here https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-game-pass/games you will see 601 results. Once you remove the duplicates you get 467 unless I made a mistake (but it will be over 400 nonetheless).

CAB_Life

I'm playing it on gamepass, really enjoying it but i have no idea why people would opt to buy when they can play 400 games on gamepass?!

I used to buy all my movies on Blu-ray, I used to buy all my music on CD, I used to buy all my games on disc.

Now I just think, what's the point!? If there were any incentive like the media increasing in value over time then cool but in most cases this does not happen...

I think when Sony get their own competitive version of gamepass it will be huge too.
The problem is that MS already has all the momentum in the industry. At best Amazon will be a competitor, because they have more money and resources than Oprah and God combined. I think the ship has sailed for Sony to release a truly compelling service to rival Gamepass.

Fredrik

You could still get one here as the demand is very low nonetheless same as PS5 official price or cheaper from scalpers here. I could've got it day one for 215 OMR ($559) just like PS5 from smaller shops. Xbox never officially released here, also we get plenty of PS exclusives with Arabic subs and some with full translation. Although we study English here but the vast majority don't really understand beyond the very basics.
Thanks man, it’s interesting to get some info from another person in a small country. You don’t have any problems with english that’s for sure! We never get local subs in Sweden, except in Minecraft. I can’t speak english, only write, takes awhile just to write a post like this. But as long as the games have english subtitles it’s okay, unless the text moves too fast.
Small country issues lol 😋

Top Bottom