• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outriders is currently #1 Top Paid game on Xbox Store

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Even if someone doesn't have GP or cares to do it, being on GP promotes the game automatically.

Every game put on GP gets splashscreened saying new GP arrivals on the dashboard, so you're going to see what games came out.

Some gamers might see Outriders just launched, maybe did some digging online and bought the game.

TalentedMrJ

and so is gang beasts? from what I'm looking at the list is pretty mediocre making it possible that it didn't sell much just some more than average indy games.

Also, why tf is it not on PC gamepass......

Daughter asked me to get Gang Beasts. My first reaction was what is this $10 horse shit. Then I watched her play a few matches.

Game is too funny

A week or two ago a study came out that found Game Pass users spend 20% more on gaming than non-Game Pass users. They are buying games on top of renting them. Not as a replacement. In addition to.

A lot of people act like they are replacing buying games with renting them, but it doesn't actually work that way once you crunch the numbers. Maybe some users do, but the overall effect is that they spend more money than usual, not less.

So this makes total sense.

Last edited:

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
the wire roland brice GIF

phil_t98

#SonyToo
That’s not the point. We shouldn’t need to report things when just yesterday this was policed and restructured to appease some. There’s more than enough options at this point. Do we need a thread masquerading as sales thread that’s really another gp thread now?
How many gamepass threads do you pop up in? By what your saying you should only pop up in one lol

Fredrik

Eh...didn’t you throw a tantrum just yesterday about this? This is what the mods want. Isn’t it? This isn’t enough?

Notable announcements can get their own threads. Monthly sets of regular releases can get their own threads. General ongoing talk can go here to cut down on the daily hype wars and bickering threads.

Sounds fair. At least it’s not in the communities section;)
In the end it became quite clear what the mods wanted, they simply wanted less pointless love/concern/hate/war threads filling up the front page.
To try silence any mention of it in other threads would be absurd. The problem isn’t mentioning GP, it’s the number of dedicated dumb threads on the front page.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Top paid game on Xbox Store is always the most frequently bought game. It has nothing to do with Game Pass, except for console war trolling.
What does what I said have to do with console warring or Gamepass? I never mentioned Gamepass at all. I just merely said I don't believe all these lists are legit and wouldn't be surprised if there was paid promotion going on.

This thread has nothing to do with Gamepass.

tr1p1ex

Good to hear Outriders edged the 8 year old GTA V in its sales debut.

obviously massive evidence GP doesn't cannibalize game sales.

Last edited:

Fredrik

If you go to the bottom of the page, click the globe, then you can click on any country you want and see the same list.
The results are varied to say the least.

MrS

Banned
I think this is bogus. Why would people buy it in droves when they can play it for free via GP? Makes no sense.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
In the end it became quite clear what the mods wanted, they simply wanted less pointless love/concern/hate/war threads filling up the front page.
To try silence any mention of it in other threads would be absurd. The problem isn’t mentioning GP, it’s the number of dedicated dumb threads on the front page.

You mean like FoBoB Wza is doing here; trying to derail and turn this thread into another Game Pass War thread like he does in every other Xbox thread even though I seriously doubt he has an Xbox or Game Pass.

The game is fun, the game is doing well, a lot of people like the game, Frank. Why don't you play the game and discuss it and why it's doing well instead of derailing this thread with your Game Pass trolling.

If you are so desperate for some Game Pass warring, GAF has a thread for that:
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/xbox-game-pass-general-discussion.1600178/

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I think this is bogus. Why would people buy it in droves when they can play it for free via GP? Makes no sense.
I found it interesting that the Gamepass tag didn't go on the game until 24 hours after release in the store. It was under the Gamepass tile though.

My point is that if one didn't know it was on GamePass and was browsing the store, they would have purchased the game unknowingly before going to the Gamepass tile and seeing it was there. I've never seen this happen before as games say in the store if it's in GamePass.

Edit: More like 12 hours, not 24 hours.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Hard to say they are buying "in droves" without sales numbers. The majority of Xbox gamers don't subscribe to Game Pass.

Last edited:

Alright

Banned
I don't doubt these figures, but this thread got me thinking:

Would it be possible for a company to manipulate a game so that it showed up at number 1, regardless of what it sold? I don't mean this website and this instance, just a thought.

I know we've seen manipulated reviews on Amazon, fake trends on Facebook, for example. Could steam, xbox, Sony etc so something similar to draw crowds to its storefront?

Alright

Banned
Well if you agree, that there are 2bn gamer, that figure might be right.

100m games know Game Pass exists and care about it.
Microsoft said there were 3 billion gamers.

Which should concern all of us. Because it means that Microsoft (and maybe others like EA) now put the guy playing Daggerfall, in the same category as the person playing candy crush.

That should worry us.

I still don’t know why people give 2 shits about whether it’s selling copies or being played on gamepass. Developers seem to be flocking to gamepass and it’s generating profit, otherwise they wouldn’t use it.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
No one said Gamepass should be illegal. Also, Gamepass should be illegal.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Dr Bass

A lot of people will purposefully miss the point of the post. That's okay.

Fact is, the game is proving that GamePass doesn't swallow up the sales. You can't debate that. If everyone who was going to play the game just opted for the GP route, it wouldn't be on this list.

People with GP will tell their friends about this game. Their friends, who aren't interested in GP will consider buying the game. That's just one way GP helps spread sales - increased word of mouth due to mass accessibility.

GamePass doesn't kill sales.

Doesn't the other thread with the PS/XBox split kind of debunk this idea? Its like 80+% slanted towards PS sales. One could argue that Xbox players buy more digitally, but considering the amount of digital sales PS does as well I just don't think that holds water. So "top selling" on a store with no numbers doesn't mean "selling a large volume." It just means it's at the top of that particular list.

What one COULD actually deduce from the combo of those the two above facts is that software is just currently not selling well on Xbox, at all.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Doesn't the other thread with the PS/XBox split kind of debunk this idea? Its like 80+% slanted towards PS sales. One could argue that Xbox players buy more digitally, but considering the amount of digital sales PS does as well I just don't think that holds water. So "top selling" on a store with no numbers doesn't mean "selling a large volume." It just means it's at the top of that particular list.

What one COULD actually deduce from the combo of those the two above facts is that software is just currently not selling well on Xbox, at all.
I think you have a point, but we also have to consider that the studio is being compensated for putting their game on GP, in addition to sales. It's also not unreasonable to predict that GP will also help sales on Playstation, again due to massive word of mouth provided by GP.

FrankWza

I pointed out the same thing but apparently this is the explanation. Warning: the following material may cause vomiting. Reader discretion is advised.
This thread a bit different though. It’s showing that a game can still sell and be on gamepass. The other thread was done to show negativity towards the game not selling as well on xbox when it clearly is

Knucklepux

Neo Member
I'm playing it on gamepass, really enjoying it but i have no idea why people would opt to buy when they can play 400 games on gamepass?!

I used to buy all my movies on Blu-ray, I used to buy all my music on CD, I used to buy all my games on disc.

Now I just think, what's the point!? If there were any incentive like the media increasing in value over time then cool but in most cases this does not happen...

I think when Sony get their own competitive version of gamepass it will be huge too.
I don’t think the game is going to be on Gamepass indefinitely. It will most likely leave eventually. So, you may have to buy it eventually since it seems like they’ll be supporting this game for awhile

Three

A week or two ago a study came out that found Game Pass users spend 20% more on gaming than non-Game Pass users. They are buying games on top of renting them. Not as a replacement. In addition to.

A lot of people act like they are replacing buying games with renting them, but it doesn't actually work that way once you crunch the numbers. Maybe some users do, but the overall effect is that they spend more money than usual, not less.

It doesn't. Why would anybody with gamepass spend more on games by buying a game that is still currently on gamepass? I mean how does that make any sense?
20% was not specified on what, it could be microtransactions or even just having to pay the $180 subscription yearly vs those who don't have gamepass and buy individual games.

People have lost the plot in fanboy wars and it's mostly the cheerleaders. The hard data for UK retail sales came out showing only 17% bought on X series and xbox one combined. The reason given by them was that "well they get it on gamepass so why would they buy it" . Now less than, what, 2 days later just as I predicted people are back to trying to say it increases sales again? Not only that but it's in fact the gamepass users with 20% more spending buying the games that are already on gamepass. Why?

The fact is that there is no metric to compare to here. How many units are we talking? How many units would we be talking without gamepass? We don't have that. What we have however is on a platform without gamepass it held 83% of sales in a region. On a platform with gamepass it held 17% of the sales. It's not to say this is conclusive evidence that gamepass decreases sales but a lot of people are trying to have their cake and to eat it too. "Oh of course it sold way less it's on gamepass!" then two days later "oh it's top of the xbox chart, gamepass increases sales" . No, you're just cheerleading whatever is the best look for your brand loyalty (not you specifically).

Last edited:

While this is true, that study also highlights why GP really isn't the "best deal in gaming" that GP evangelists try to convince you it is.

GP is a rental service that gives you new games on day 1, only to then cycle them out in order to push you into buying the full versions on XBL.

I think a service like that might be a decent value at $5/month. But $15/month is a shockingly terrible value.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
While this is true, that study also highlights why GP really isn't the "best deal in gaming" that GP evangelists try to convince you it is.

GP is a rental service that gives you new games on day 1, only to then cycle them out in order to push you into buying the full versions on XBL.

I think a service like that might be a decent value at $5/month. But $15/month is a shockingly terrible value.
It's a great deal.

Not only can you play and tests games for cheap, but games on GP are sold at up to 20% off too if you are a GP subber.

Many of us got in even cheaper than $5/mth. I got 3 years GPU top up for $1. And that includes playing The Show 21!

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I don’t think the game is going to be on Gamepass indefinitely. It will most likely leave eventually. So, you may have to buy it eventually since it seems like they’ll be supporting this game for awhile

I saw in another thread that they may do expansions that will be seperate new stories. I'm liking the story so far and the game is totally fun so I would certainly be interested in buying the game and the new story expansions if and when they come out.

If you’re paying $15 a month then it’s the Ultimate version, which includes PC GamePass and Gold. And Gold is normally $10 a month, which means you’re paying $5 for GPU. Which makes it a value in your book. Got eeeemm

Top Bottom