• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outriders retails at 17% in UK on Xbox (due to being free to all XGPU subscribers), PlayStation 4/5 has 83% of retail sales

Zoro7

Banned
Can someone legitimately answer the question...

If gamespass is 'bad business' why would square enix/people can fly launch their game onto Gamespass? Are Microsoft forcing them? Why don't you just buy a cheap PC or Xbox to get gamespass instead of wasting hours upon hours of your life debating how shit something is that you're not subscribed to?
Right now Microsoft is throwing money at everything. Its not bad for Square Enix. Right now everything is great.
But there will come a time when shareholders will want to see a return on this investment and that's when prices will start to increase. Quote me!

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
If the game bombs on Playstation, Steam that would be more of a case for Game Pass.

That its selling well across the board everywhere....except Xbox....I fail to see how this is an indicator about how great Game Pass is. There are no tears or salt, sorry to disappoint. Only logic. I dont understand how some of yall are trying to debate this.

Its good for what it offers....but it also shows that the traditional model of actually selling games is here to stay. For now.

Remember how Crackdown 3 was in the top ten played? Good times.

Interfectum

If the game bombs on Playstation, Steam that would be more of a case for Game Pass.

That its selling well across the board everywhere....except Xbox....I fail to see how this is an indicator about how great Game Pass is. There are no tears or salt, sorry to disappoint. Only logic. I dont understand how some of yall are trying to debate this.

Its good for what it offers....but it also shows that the traditional model of actually selling games is here to stay. For now.

The mental gymnastics you did here is nothing short of legendary. I mean, holy shit. Frame this post.

fermcr

All I hear is how BAD Gamepass is for developers... so, I wounder why so many developers are putting their games on Gamepass?

I also wounder how a service like Netflix makes money when they spend millions and millions on series and movies? I guess that's BAD for movie stars, producers and other people working on movies...

dcmk7

Banned
All I hear is how BAD Gamepass is for developers... so, I wounder why so many developers are putting their games on Gamepass?

I also wounder how a service like Netflix makes money when they spend millions and millions on series and movies? I guess that's BAD for movie stars, producers and other people working on movies...
Who are saying it's bad for developers?

sinnergy

Yes all bad, if you let GAF everything is still on 8track/vinyl/tape.. I mean CD, no I mean discs . Roar

Last edited:

Interfectum

Console warriors are used to comparing retail game sales as a win vs loss. As Game Pass starts taking over Xbox completely retail sales are going to tank. This will push the perception on forums that Game Pass is bad for developers and only MS money is keeping them propped up. They'll just ignore and/or write off the massive subscriber number Game Pass has going forward. If UK retail sales are bad, Xbox is a flop.

yazenov

Gamepass was introduced as a Panic button last resort when Microsoft was demolished by the PS4 and the software sales were lopsided towards the PS4. That was the only way Microsoft can compete with Sony.

Its amusing when I see people trying to downplay the huge split in sales and blaming it on gamepass. Even before gamepass was introduced, the split was 65% to 80% in favor of the PS4 depending on the game genre. People are buying more software on the PS4 simply because of the userbase. More hardware = more software.

And you see this with every multiplatform game that doesn't launch on gamepass day 1. Its the same split.

Now imagine what is the split like outside of the UK and US (UK and US are Xbox stongest markets) . Microsoft is in trouble.

Mikey Jr.

After a DECADE of borrowing 16 BILLION dollars, netflix actually made a small profit this year. Helped by the coronavirus.

They still have 15 billion dollars in debt though......

Last edited:

Interfectum

Gamepass was introduced as a Panic button last resort when Microsoft was demolished by the PS4 and the software sales were lopsided towards the PS4. That was the only way Microsoft can compete with Sony.

Its amusing when I see people trying to downplay the huge split in sales and blaming it on gamepass. Even before gamepass was introduced, the split was 65% to 80% in favor of the PS4 depending on the game genre. People are buying more software on the PS4 simply because of the userbase. More hardware = more software.

And you see this with every multiplatform game that doesn't launch on gamepass day 1. Its the same split.

Now imagine what is the split like outside of the UK and US (UK and US are Xbox stongest markets) . Microsoft is in trouble.
Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

giphy.gif

jroc74

The mental gymnastics you did here is nothing short of legendary. I mean, holy shit. Frame this post.
Please frame it. And revisit this post the entire generation.

So explain it to me. Because I dont see any counters from you to what I said.

Lets try elementary math:

Multi platform Game A doesnt launch on GP, 60-40 split in favor of Playstation.
Multi platform Game B launches on GP, 83-17 split in favor of Playstation.

The amount can still be the same, but the % can change....because it sold less on XBox. Explicitly because its on Game Pass.

Hey, also revisit this when the NPD info comes out.

Some of yall act like SE would be pissed that it sold more on another platform.

Last edited:

Interfectum

So explain it to me.
I know you are smarter than this...

1. A game doesn't have to bomb on competing platforms to be a 'win' for Game Pass.
2. The entire point of getting Outriders on Game Pass is to entice Xbox users to subscribe instead of purchase the game.
3. You literally no idea of the actual player base on Outriders. For all you know it could be 10 to 1 on Xbox vs PS5. All you have is a percentage of physical sales in the UK.

Last edited:

The data will be in the usage. The game will likely sell worse on Xbox because of game pass. The real question is the length of the tail revenue from being on game pass vs the other platforms.

If the game makes more money via game pass due to the game now being available to all GPU users and there is a longer shelf life to the game and a longer tail on revenue then its a great choice by the publisher to put it out that way.

This game will live or die by its community. SoT has survived and thrived because of its available to all GP users. The revenue tail has been great and the community sustained because more people can get access to it and play it. This game will be structured similarly. GP means you have a much larger community readily available which will enable the game to live for a long time and make more money.

On the other platforms, if the games community doesn't take off out of the gate you are headed down a bad path. You need to convince people to buy and play the game, rather than just making it better and having it available.

The game will sell worse on Xbox because its on game pass. However, the money made by the publisher and the tail on revenue is to be seen.

Pop

Why would anyone using gamepass buy a game for retail price when paying a dollar for a new acc let's you play brand new games. Of course sales won't be good on Xbox anymore going forward.

Interfectum

Please frame it. And revisit this post the entire generation.

So explain it to me. Because I dont see any counters from you to what I said.

Lets try elementary math:

Multi platform Game A doesnt launch on GP, 60-40 split in favor of Playstation.
Multi platform Game B launches on GP, 83-17 split in favor of Playstation.

The amount can still be the same, but the % can change....because it sold less on XBox. Explicitly because its on Game Pass.

Hey, also revisit this when the NPD info comes out.

Some of yall act like SE would be pissed that it sold more on another platform.
I mean you can still use retail sales in the UK and NPD all you want. Have fun with these 'wins' but they aren't going to be very relevant in the near future. I'm sure you'll write off the 40, 50, 60 million subs Game Pass will eventually have as $1 giveaways too.

Last edited:

sainraja

MS had treated game ownership far better than Sony (The BC initiative, auto HDR, auto FPS, etc) so I don't think Game Pass changes that conversation either way.

And you want to talk about the future... how far? 20 years? Shit could go bad. 5-10 years? MS is just getting started. These aggressive deals with third parties are to get gamers to hang on for MS first party which will start up around 2022. So for the immediate future it looks like MS is going all in on providing content and establishing Game Pass as the game service to beat. I would not expect that to change this generation.

I mean, looking at the current state of Playstation and Xbox right now it seems to be the fear should be placed on where the hell is Sony going? PS Now is a haphazard and confused streaming / download service, exclusives going to other platforms without any tethers back to the playstation ecosystem (no cross save, no cross buy, no trophies), little regard for legacy titles and now they charge $70 per game at launch. Sony has the brand power on lock but I don't see how anyone can deny that their current trajectory is messy.
Alright?

Those are not my arguments. I can't believe I have to explain this but I was simply pointing out that people who want to discuss that can and should be allowed to discuss it without anyone getting offended or upset by it. We don't really know what the future of gaming is going to look like and personally I am taking the wait and see approach but there are things I would not like to happen and I mention that anytime I get the chance and it makes sense to mention my thoughts.

But yeah, those are points you should be bring up in conversations that have to do with game pass instead of using labels to discredit what people might be saying.

jroc74

I know you are smarter than this...

1. A game doesn't have to bomb on competing platforms to be a 'win' for Game Pass.
2. The entire point of getting Outriders on Game Pass is to entice Xbox users to subscribe instead of purchase the game.
3. You literally no idea of the actual player base on Outriders. For all you know it could be 10 to 1 on Xbox vs PS5. All you have is a percentage of physical sales in the UK.

1. If it bombs on other platforms....game pass becomes much more important, relevant....because it didnt sell across the board. Game Pass is a nice safety net.
2. I get what the point of game pass is for xbox users, we all should get the point. Its also a better incentive for SE because they dont have to rely solely on sales on Xbox.
3. You're right. No one does. And yes this is just the UK. But I said this days, weeks ago in another thread: What metric are we gonna use....because at first glance it will be sales vs users/downloads.

I wonder what the initial player base was of Crackdown 3, and months later.....because that also was in the top 10 played.

The data will be in the usage. The game will likely sell worse on Xbox because of game pass. The real question is the length of the tail revenue from being on game pass vs the other platforms.

If the game makes more money via game pass due to the game now being available to all GPU users and there is a longer shelf life to the game and a longer tail on revenue then its a great choice by the publisher to put it out that way.

This game will live or die by its community. SoT has survived and thrived because of its available to all GP users. The revenue tail has been great and the community sustained because more people can get access to it and play it. This game will be structured similarly. GP means you have a much larger community readily available which will enable the game to live for a long time and make more money.

On the other platforms, if the games community doesn't take off out of the gate you are headed down a bad path. You need to convince people to buy and play the game, rather than just making it better and having it available.

The game will sell worse on Xbox because its on game pass. However, the money made by the publisher and the tail on revenue is to be seen.
One of the few points that makes sense. Thank you.
I mean you can still use retail sales in the UK and NPD all you want. Have fun with these 'wins' but they aren't going to be very relevant in the near future. I'm sure you'll write off the 40, 50, 60 million subs Game Pass will eventually have as $1 giveaways too.

Eventually the $1 deal will be gone. Because at some point like many said the goal is to make a profit.

Btw..seeing a disagreement as a win or loss is the first problem.

Alright?

Those are not my arguments. I can't believe I have to explain this but I was simply pointing out that people who want to discuss that can and should be allowed to discuss it without anyone getting offended or upset by it. We don't really know what the future of gaming is going to look like and personally I am taking the wait and see approach but there are things I would not like to happen and I mention that anytime I get the chance and it makes sense to mention my thoughts.

But yeah, those are points you should be bring up in conversations that have to do with game pass instead of using labels to discredit what people might be saying.
Exactly.

Last edited:
Math is hard.
If anything this shows that 17% of Xbox players are fucking morons.
17% represents the percentage of copies that were sold on Xbox Series. Not that 17% of Xbox series owners bought outriders. 17% share of games sales could represent 100% of Xbox series owners.
He never uses logic. The game had only 36% more sales on PS5 over the Series consoles, and thats with PS5 supposedly selling more, and the game being on Gamepass.
How does that marry up with any of the drivel he said?.
No. ONLY 206% more. PS5 copies sold more than three times than Xbox Series copies. LMAO you cant just do 52%-17%.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Right now Microsoft is throwing money at everything. Its not bad for Square Enix. Right now everything is great.
But there will come a time when shareholders will want to see a return on this investment and that's when prices will start to increase. Quote me!

We just literally witnessed games raising in price to 70 dollars thanks to Sony. Yes, pricing may increase on gamepass but games might become 80 dollars. We are already seeing pointless 100 dollar versions of games as well as having micro transactions and season passes.

...here is a tough fact to swallow sometimes. Everything has the chance to go up in price and probably will.

Last edited:

Sygma

It's apparent each day that this will not be good in the long term. I like Gamepass but it's not going to be good for us in the long term.

Gamepass as in older titles can work for the industry, AAA and exclusives day one on a subscription model is going to destroy these games sooner or later and if you can't understand why, you are part of the problem.

I mean its only for xbox consoles, game literally has the biggest launch out of any SE games on pc on steam. Can't imagine what the overall number is for this game, and I'm very happy to see that its a success for PCF

Last edited:

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member

So quick to shit post based on one week of retail UK sales? 😂

I know when I enjoy a game on GamePass that I already have digitally installed on my system and can get a good discount to buy through the service, I instead opt to go out and pay more and buy physical.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Simple.

Annual sub plan sales > Annual costs = Profit

Anything to do with debt load and cash flow can be subjective how it affects annual numbers. Those two aren't even income statement metrics.

If NF is still making profit since 2003 with giant debt (interest expense), it means they must be doing decent to cover it and still make money.

They are investing a lot into content/infrastructure like Amazon did.

Last edited:

Larvana

Shouldn’t gamepass be bolstering sales? According to lying Phil anyways.

I mean all PR are lies anyway, so are Sony come to think of it, they're already slowly doing what gamepass offers, so uhh. Don't be so blind sighted.
But Phil told me GamePass leads to more game sales not less.

Sure our guy Phil can't be lying!

Starting to wonder if you think or just ignorant, maybe both. It's actually not an ouch, they've made the money back from it being on gamepass.

Kerotan

I already got an mbko ahead and spend $70 to play it then. And then spend $70 next month to play MLB. Whereas il play both for free 🤣👌🏻
I already have an MLB they gave us for free in the past year and guess what I didn't download it. So I won't be buying the new one either.

I buy my games on the USA store which works out cheap for EU players. I also get most of them cheap on sale 6 months to a year after. And I get full ownership not a rental I'm tied to.

Goalus

Microsoft desperately wants to get out of the HW market and into streaming it’s hilarious.

They can’t wait for Game “I’ll suck your dick for a cheese burger” Pass and streaming to become viable so they can stop the need to make hardware and exclusives
Delicious :messenger_ok:

Calverz

Gold Member
I already have an MLB they gave us for free in the past year and guess what I didn't download it. So I won't be buying the new one either.

I buy my games on the USA store which works out cheap for EU players. I also get most of them cheap on sale 6 months to a year after. And I get full ownership not a rental I'm tied to.
On xbox u can buy off argentina store which is cheap. You can then pay 50% of that reduced price if u digital share with a friend.....

assurdum

Banned
Anyone knows what's developers revenue to publish a game on gamepass the day one compared to sell it in a digital store? Because maybe for gaas gamepass could be worth it. But I don't understand how much cash flow can lead to the softwarehouse a game on gamepass from the day one. It's confusing to me.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
That's hardly shocking. They likely got a fat check, any day one AAA game will.

And.. it will leave GamePass in a few months, and any players that stuck around will have to buy it anyways.

Agree 100%. Wouldn't be surprised to see them go bankrupt within the next 12 - 18 months. Investing into the gaming channel with $7.5B on Bethesda and then potentially $10B on Discord will be the death knell for the company.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Agree 100%. Wouldn't be surprised to see them go bankrupt within the next 12 - 18 months. Investing into the gaming channel with $7.5B on Bethesda and then potentially $10B on Discord will be the death knell for the company.
Has to be a joke post?

Microsoft is gonna go bankrupt?

Compared to the > 2x ps4 install base, ps4 has no 2x software sales advantage over Xbox.

So xbox has more software sales per console sold.

betrayal

Banned
Compared to the > 2x ps4 install base, ps4 has no 2x software sales advantage over Xbox.

You have to admit, though, that he's right. GP is nothing more than making existing products available to customers at low cost. No new values are created that would not have existed without GP.
This is great for the customer, but bad for the industry, because MS learns that it is enough to make the customer happy through price instead through innovation.

It's like McDonald's and a Michelin-starred restaurant. Of course, many people like to eat at McDonald's because it's cheap and tastes good at first. But in comparison, it has little to do with quality and innovation.

Last edited:
It really is like Netflix, Spotify, Disney+, Apple Music etc never happened to some of you :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It’s 2021, I can subscribe to Roomba ffs.

It’s like fucking Jurassic Park or Cocoon in here.

Last edited:

Goalus

On a more serious note - they will always need a highly efficient, lowest-common-denominator hardware that serves as a reference system for xCloud developers. And such a system is essentially a console, therefore I highly doubt MS will get out of the console business anytime soon.

Malcolm9

Yes, but according to some fanatics on the other side, everyone who has GP got 3 years worth for only $1 and Microsoft is bludgeoning money every second.
I would imagine the vast majority have though. That's not a bad thing for the consumer but I doubt MS want to be giving it away longterm.

Last edited:

Mmnow

You have to admit, though, that he's right. GP is nothing more than making existing products available to customers at low cost. No new values are created that would not have existed without GP.
This is great for the customer, but bad for the industry, because MS learns that it is enough to make the customer happy through price instead through innovation.

It's like McDonald's and a Michelin-starred restaurant. Of course, many people like to eat at McDonald's because it's cheap and tastes good at first. But in comparison, it has little to do with quality and innovation.
You're looking at it from completely the wrong direction.

It's about better monetizing those people that don't actually buy any video games. The value to core gamers is basically secondary.

There are ~120m PS4s in the wild. Ghost of Tsushima sold 6.5m copies. That means despite all the hype, the great reviews, the excitement, ~115m PlayStation 4 owners didn't buy a copy of one of the biggest games of last year. They didn't buy Final Fantasy VII. They didn't buy The Last of Us 2.

And those 6.5m copies aren't fully priced. That's with nearly a year of discounts and deals. That's with hundreds of thousands or even millions of lost sales through the used market.

What's better? To get 20m people to spend $15 or to get 6.5m to spend somewhere between $60 and $30, if they bought it at all?

GP isn't about making existing products available to customers at low cost. It's about taking the hundreds of millions of gamers who buy maybe three or four games a generation, or those people who wait for heavy discounts, or who scab off their friend's accounts, or who buy used, and it's saying "if you subscribe, you can have all this stuff day one without all the hassle."

"And, oh, by the way, subscribe for the next seven years, because every single month we'll give you something worth you're time."

They're making the same amount of money, if not more. The product is just as good - in fact the product is identical most the time. It's just on one console you'll have to pay $70 and on the other you'll get it through your subscription.

yazenov

Actually we have numbers for Monster Hunter World, one of the biggest Multiplatfrom game last generation. The split was not pretty for Microsoft.

MHW PS4: 8.693 Million
MHW Xbox: 1.789 million

The PS4 version outsold the Xbox One version by 4.86 times.

Ps4 Ice borne: 4.545 million
Xbox IB 448k

Ps4 version outsold the Xbox approximately 10x.

Top Bottom