• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Over 100 heroes in DOTA, yet hardly any of them are minorities

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Given the distinctly fantasy setting of the game, I'm not exactly going in expecting such. Seems a silly, nitpicky thing to get worked up about given the context of the game. Probably far better choices of games, or quadrants of society to focus such energy on to be honest.

Shengar

lKfmdbL.png

Looks pretty colorful to me. Drafts that work out to blue vs red always make me smile a bit.

But whatever, try to make an issue out of a non-issue.

This is getting hilarious each passing minute.
First time I read the title I thought it was a parody thread, then turned out it was not.

Chen is black and Skywrath Mage has a Middle Eastern accent, by the way.

sshhh, didn't you know that minority defined by their skin color, not their cultural background?
Beastmaster is definitely a white man goes tribal.

there's also quite a few sexy female heroes but no sexy male heroes

Invoker is bishounen. I don't know what people find attractive men to be though, people attracted to men's tastes seem to have a wide range. There's plenty of muscular half clothed men with wide shoulders and thin waists.

Zeus has dark skin too.

Zeus-1.png

Undoubtedly he is Greek.

She's based or named after an anime character but IDK she seemed white to me.

She's definitely white but yeah she's named after an anime character.

AcridMeat

Banned
That's amazing.

Some games have issues with their non-casting of minorities, but I think you're barking up the wrong tree with Dota 2. Hell, you're barking up the wrong tree with Valve games in general.
It should have been a thread about League of Legends. DOTA 2 is fine.

mantidor

High fantasy is based in medieval Europe where people were overwhelmingly caucasian, and even then we end up with tons of fantastical races and creatures that aren't even human in these worlds. I've always found these complains silly.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
OP looks like you're gonna have to move on to DotA 2 as everyone in this thread is suggesting. Much more racial diversity in the sequel.

Keasar

I believe League of Legends have had some characters that are supposed to be asian inspired for a while and more recently have gotten two black characters, their latest champion being a black kid who is pretty awesome and fun to play.

Lucian
NOfE1BG.png

Ekko
N95gF46.jpg

Not gonna imply however that there are many of them, but at least there are some to start with.

Kinyou

I'd say Heroes of the Storm has more problems in that regard. I can only think of the Witch Doctor in that game. (and technically Tyrael but he's in his Angel form)

However the roster will also keep getting expanded

Asian people are the majority in the world and China won the last TI, while also having the most representatives and they have to settle for...Storm Spirit. And they blue-washed that dude from a panda. Why does the Blue Man Group get a rep but not pandas?

ShinMaruku

I believe League of Legends have had some characters that are supposed to be asian inspired for a while and more recently have gotten two black characters, their latest champion being a black kid who is pretty awesome and fun to play.

Lucian
NOfE1BG.png

Ekko
N95gF46.jpg

Not gonna imply however that there are many of them, but at least there are some to start with.

Why do they look like Wesley Snipes bred with Gabriel Union?
I'm terrible XD

Asian people are the majority in the world and China won the last TI, while also having the most representatives and they have to settle for...Storm Spirit. And they blue-washed that dude from a panda. Why does the Blue Man Group get a rep but not pandas?

Isn't it something to do with China?

charsace

This is getting hilarious each passing minute.
First time I read the title I thought it was a parody thread, then turned out it was not.

sshhh, didn't you know that minority defined by their skin color, not their cultural background?
Beastmaster is definitely a white man goes tribal.
Most the Heroes draw from european cultures or they have a scifi background. Not too many heroes influenced by african continent or asian cultures.

Koobion

You're basically counting every character that isn't blatantly darker skinned as white by my count.

And by the way, you really do a disservice to this kind of argument when you bitch about it in a scenario where you are clearly just looking for something to be in an uproar over.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
Holy shit this isn't a parody thread.....

You're complaining about race in a game with blue, red, yellow, green, orange, white, black, etc... colored people?

Lucian
NOfE1BG.png

Ekko
N95gF46.jpg

Not to mention Karma
Karma_0.jpg

Mononoke

Banned
I mean diversity is always welcome and I would love to see more. But I honeslty find DOTA to be a very diverse game because of all the fantasy elements. I guess the fact that of the small pool of human characters most of them are white, I can see why someone would wish for more diversity there. Since this is a legacy thing with a previous game, I think it's more understandable. But they can make changes like they have with Legion Commander.

So sure, why not. I'm all for that. But I don't think DOTA is purposely not being inclusive. So I'm fine with criticism and suggestions. But I don't think Valve should have anger directed towards them.

This thread could be an interesting discussion on MOBAS though.

la_briola

Also: Ember
thinking.gif
and Earth Spirit
disapprove.gif
. Anti-Mage
laugh.gif
is also Asian.

Lucian
NOfE1BG.png

Ekko
N95gF46.jpg

Also some question marks like Nidalee, Sivir and Draven (are they white? They don't look it), but yeah, certainly Ahri, Akali, Yasuo and others are not white at all.

Most the Heroes draw from european cultures or they have a scifi background. Not too many heroes influenced by african continent or asian cultures.
Dota 2's original design was going to be Asian themed and a lot of that original style still comes through with heroes like Earth Shaker, Mirana or Phantom Lancer, that aren't Asian technically, but have elements about their character or design that take clear cues from Asian styles. And then there's the three spirits and brew who are directly Chinese inspired.

Also: Ember and Earth Spirit. Anti-Mage is also Asian.

Nah man. Ember is Panthro on fire and Earth Spirit is just a rock dressing up like an asian-monk person, like some weaboo.

Ember and Earth Spirit lost their original Panda form because Valve hates Pandas.

Yeah I thought about that,

I decided I wanted to play the Undead.

I now practice & play using Death Prophet.

sucks you know.. but it's not like us black folk don't have cool gods or myths to play off of. /s

Top Bottom