• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Over 100 heroes in DOTA, yet hardly any of them are minorities

injurai

Banned
If we want to play devil's advocate, almost every female humanoid character has a face with caucasian features, so maybe there is some bias about what is considered attractive...

Everyone has their own bias of attraction. I hope there is not an issue that western developers end up making a game that they want to see. Never mind a fair number of the humanoid characters are sourced off of their counterparts from WC3, so It's a bit of a non-sequitur to suggest non-caucasian features are considered unattractive at valve.

vocab

Not enough blue people imo. Venge must be really lonely. She could probably date enigma, but venge doesn't like blueberries. Also, poor meepo. Dude just in his own league of sadness. Then theres WISP A SUBMARINE. Can't get more diverse than that.

Nosgotham

Hmmmmm maybe their FICTIONAL world does not have the same race breakdown of our world? It's not like it's set in modern day New York or something

The fish people are well represented.

yea they are

400px-Dota2slardar.jpg

XAL

Of the humans (not including humanoids: demons, ghosts/spirits/phantoms, trolls, furries, etc - Kunkka, Skywrath Mage, Templar Assassin, Phantom Lancer, Phantom Assassin, Storm Spirit, etc):

Sven - ?
Beastmaster - Native American?
Dragon Knight - Black
Legion Commander - Black
Omni Knight - White
Anti-Mage - Orange Spray Tanned Magic Hating Tibetan
Mirana - Asian White?
Bloodcyka - Aztec
Crystal Maiden - White
Lina - White
Lone Druid - Russian
Windranger - White
Silencer - White
Zeus - Greek
Luna - Hyaaa~~*~*
Kotl - Bush Fapper
Chen - Black
Drow Ranger - Smurf Black Lady
Invoker - Fabulous Gay Hair
Rrrrrruuuuuuubbbickick - ?

7/20/112 not bad

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Seriously, WTF? So many damn characters and almost all of the human heroes are white.

So many damn mobas with a ton of characters in them and yet there is no diversity in the look of human characters in these games. Fuck man, throw minorities a bone.
Are you sure you aren't just blinded by seeing them as default whiteness
eyeroll.gif

Of the humans (not including humanoids: demons, ghosts/spirits/phantoms, trolls, furries, etc - Kunkka, Skywrath Mage, Templar Assassin, Phantom Lancer, Phantom Assassin, Storm Spirit, etc):

Sven - ?
Beastmaster - Native American?
Dragon Knight - Black
Legion Commander - Black
Omni Knight - White
Anti-Mage - Orange Spray Tanned Magic Hating Tibetan
Mirana - Asian White?
Bloodcyka - Aztec
Crystal Maiden - White
Lina - White
Lone Druid - Russian
Windranger - White
Silencer - White
Zeus - Greek
Luna - Hyaaa~~*~*
Kotl - Bush Fapper
Chen - Black
Drow Ranger - Smurf Black Lady
Invoker - Fabulous Gay Hair
Rrrrrruuuuuuubbbickick - ?

7/20/112 not bad

Lol bush fapper.

BTW what was undying before ehh turning into the rotten fellow it is today?

Jumplion

I feel like OP isn't being sincere here. At least give us some examples of what you mean by DOTA not having many minorities. I don't necessarily disagree that there's a dearth of minority characters in games, but at least do something more than just go "man, what's up with all the whiteys!" and leaving it at that.

It's a problem with a bunch of games. Looking over at league, the "Plant man" is a hulking tree trunk. Swap over to "Plant woman" and all of a sudden she's basically Poison Ivy. Plenty of other women characters like that. It took Lucian, the first ever black character in League, over 3 years to be introduced, which is ridiculous. They've improved since then, having Rek'sai finally introduce a non-sexed-up female creature character, and of course Ekko is there now.

I'm not as familiar with Dota, but I'd wager it has some similar problems. From what I can tell, it falls under a similar trap of having a good portion of its female cast being all dolled up and "sexy" for no particular reason. Not quite sure how it fares on the minority front, but it could probably be better at it (thought looking through this thread, it might be better than most). It's something t hat needs to be addressed, and as more diversity comes in the more diverse character's we'll get.

Goddard

A game with over 100 characters has like 15 or 16 white characters, and OP being the SJW that he is is calling racist? Seriously there are almost more blue characters than white ones.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
DOTA 2 is definitely lacking in hispanics and southeast asians.

Very odd when you consider how many brazilians and filipinos play this game. Valve please gib BR Warden.

Making a game ruining pos like Arc Warden Brazilian would make me think Valve had something against Brazilians.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I feel like OP isn't being sincere here. At least give us some examples of what you mean by DOTA not having many minorities. I don't necessarily disagree that there's a dearth of minority characters in games, but at least do something more than just go "man, what's up with all the whiteys!" and leaving it at that.

It's a problem with a bunch of games. Looking over at league, the "Plant man" is a hulking tree trunk. Swap over to "Plant woman" and all of a sudden she's basically Poison Ivy. Plenty of other women characters like that. It took Lucian, the first ever black character in League, over 3 years to be introduced, which is ridiculous. They've improved since then, having Rek'sai finally introduce a non-sexed-up female creature character, and of course Ekko is there now.

I'm not as familiar with Dota, but I'd wager it has some similar problems. From what I can tell, it falls under a similar trap of having a good portion of its female cast being all dolled up and "sexy" for no particular reason. Not quite sure how it fares on the minority front, but it could probably be better at it (thought looking through this thread, it might be better than most). It's something t hat needs to be addressed, and as more diversity comes in the more diverse character's we'll get.

The particular reason is Blizzard has a real problem designing females and Valve decided not to change that.

I'm all in on the, "it's good for us to have more diverse characters in the industry" train, but this seems like a prime example of how not to pick your battles. Dota is not a hill I'm going to die on in the name of diversity. Find better content to discuss, this just makes the discussion look goofy.

Cassius

What's a minority in the Dota verse?

Didn't know it was seeped in American political correctness. I'll have to contact my local Naga representative to see that I'm better represented in the game since Slardar is a gross representation of my people.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm still confused as to why people think DK is black, he very clearly looks white.

I'm pretty sure DK is white, he's just covered in shadow all the time so he looks black:
dragon_knight_vert.jpg

His voice actor is black too so it's a short leap from there.

I'm sure some of it stems from the fact that many of the models are from around the year 2000. We've come some ways since then, maybe?

Still, I can really only think of three female Dota 2 characters that are "sexed up" (Crystal Maiden, Queen of Pain and Lina) and have their tits hanging out in the middle of a battle to the death.

The rest of the female cast are Legion Commander, Drow Ranger, Mirana, Vengeful Spirit, Phantom Assassin, Templar Assassin, Spectre, Luna, Broodmother, Naga Siren, Medusa, Wind Ranger, Death Prophet, Enchantress and Winter Wyvern. None of those seem sexed up to me, many fully armored or not human at all - unless you include just being pleasing to look at, I guess.

Three out of eighteen isn't bad, I'd say. And those are some pretty damn powerful characters too (all heroes are, actually).

Kard8p3

I'm pretty sure DK is white, he's just covered in shadow all the time so he looks black:
dragon_knight_vert.jpg

His voice actor is black too so it's a short leap from there.

Ya i guess it's cause of the voice actor.

Dude (kinda) looks like fuckin Claudio Sanchez from Coheed & Cambria.

PFD

I thought this thread was about how well balanced the game is because all the heroes get played evenly...

Aselith

Is Nature's Prophet a minority? He's Native right?

And Antimage is maybe Samoan?

Plus like WD is Jamaican and Shadow Shaman is Native.

Your thread is lies

Top Bottom