• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overcooked Special Edition finally hitting the Switch this week

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Holy hell the last level is HARD. We've been doing really well up to this point, lots of 3 stars, it feels like a really big spike in difficulty.

weekev

Banned
My wife and I just finished the ice levels. We're 3 starring as we go. This game is amazing! So much fun and hilarity. Stayed up too late a few nights in a row though and our kids don't know what a lie in is. Yawn...

oatmeal

Banned
Late world 5 levels. Need 57 stars but have 56. Struggling to get the 57th :(

Definitely expect you to get a lot of 3 stars. I only have 1 level with 1 star. Kinda lame.

Wish my gf loved itm she seemed to be having fun, but like 5 minutes in she started screaming that it gave her anxiety and she didn't like it.

I've had this a while on Xbox and yeah it gives me serious anxiety. I love it, its super fun, and I do great under pressure but I hated working in a kitchen in real life and it definitely creates a similar type of pressure and anxiety.

I have to stop after a few rounds. My wife loves the game and thinks its funny it gets me so bad.

//ARCANUM

No update for the Switch port yet, right? Want to get this on Switch to play with the wife, but I'm waiting for the FPS to get fixed.

F34R

No update for the Switch port yet, right? Want to get this on Switch to play with the wife, but I'm waiting for the FPS to get fixed.

Nope. Just checked to be sure. One of the dev guys made a comment about the patch; I'm guess he means the patch for Overcooked:

https://twitter.com/OliDe_Vine/status/894967233310601217

This patch is going to include maths that is inexplicably wrong by a factor of 0.85 and compensates with a magic multiplier...

Not really much info in that, but at least it seems they are working on it.

Steiner

Banned

I honestly wouldn't let this stop you. Just get through the tutorial quickly then have fun with your wife. It's not bad enough to stop you from enjoying it.

That being said, the fact that this is (or has been) the number 1 best seller on Switch lately hopefully has lit a fire under the devs' asses to patch it asap.

I honestly wouldn't let this stop you. Just get through the tutorial quickly then have fun with your wife. It's not bad enough to stop you from enjoying it.

That being said, the fact that this is (or has been) the number 1 best seller on Switch lately hopefully has lit a fire under the devs' asses to patch it asap.

I agree. I've been playing with my wife quite a bit and we haven't noticed enough frame stuttering to hinder the experience outside of the intro level, which was frequently dipping into the low 20s, high teens if I had to guess.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

Yeah, I hope they update it but my wife and I have almost completed the entire game. I guess we'll just start over and play through it again after the patch, it's so much fun! Already have 15 hours on it in a combination of docked and tabletop mode. It may not run great, but hasn't stopped us from enjoying it!

I'm very picky about framerate, hiccuping, framepacing/hitching or any input delay, but I find the game to be playable after the first level.

It's fairly obvious during the first stage, as the input delay from the low framerate is present, but after that it seems to be fine. Whether it be because the camera is stationary during MP or whatever, but I find it to be playable.

It's not perfect and still needs a patch, yet, I doubt your co-op partner will notice and it's a fun game nevertheless.

deoee

The problem with the framerat for me is that my inputs are inconsistent because of it.

I might directly stand before something and hit pick up but the game is still moving my char and so I pick up some other shit.

Nevertheless the game is really enjoyable and super fun (and an absolute asshole)

jariw

Holy hell the last level is HARD. We've been doing really well up to this point, lots of 3 stars, it feels like a really big spike in difficulty.

Yes, but that's the final boss level, so that's seems ok.

Just started that level today. How many sections are there? We got to the third stage (where there's pizza and fish & chips). Are there more sections after that?

kaydigi

The problem with the framerat for me is that my inputs are inconsistent because of it.

I might directly stand before something and hit pick up but the game is still moving my char and so I pick up some other shit.

Nevertheless the game is really enjoyable and super fun (and an absolute asshole)

Wife and I stopped playing the switch version. Played all the way to the last level and the fps drop was too brutal. We purchased the ps4 version and it was like night and day, feels really polished.

oatmeal

Banned
My wife kind of petered out as it got too hard but my cousin and his wife filled in and we played a bunch of 3 player.
Much better! Got 3 stars on all but 2 and finished it.

That last level is wonderful though the fish and chips/pizza part is a nightmare.

Amazing game. Almost done DLC levels. Inneed MORRRRREEW

JCH!

Any news about the performance? I really want to get this game for Switch but I don't want to play a janky version of the game :(

Bazry

Amazing game, having so much fun with my wife and 3 year old, although we've now reached the ice levels and its hard to progress trying to get the required stars.

My wife and I will have to try and mop up the missing stars whilst our son is in bed

Coxy100

Banned
My wife kind of petered out as it got too hard but my cousin and his wife filled in and we played a bunch of 3 player.
Much better! Got 3 stars on all but 2 and finished it.

That last level is wonderful though the fish and chips/pizza part is a nightmare.

Amazing game. Almost done DLC levels. Inneed MORRRRREEW
Pretty sure I read somewhere that their next game was going to be completely different :(

Any news about the performance? I really want to get this game for Switch but I don't want to play a janky version of the game :(
Patch is in testing phase:
https://twitter.com/Overcookedgame/status/896043323562926080

ksamedi

playing it with my wife and the game is great. Aside framerate and technical stuff, the gameplay concept is very well thought out. No one should hold off because of technical reasons. The game is very playavle as is.

Can't beat the final boss until the framerate is patched, good lord. I didn't have much issue with the performance for the entirety of the game up until then (the spotty responsiveness is almost charming for a game like this. PICK UP THE FUCKING SKILLET), but holy shit the final boss must be like 5fps.

JCH!

No one should hold off because of technical reasons. The game is very playavle as is.

Can't beat the final boss until the framerate is patched, good lord. I didn't have much issue with the performance for the entirety of the game up until then (the spotty responsiveness is almost charming for a game like this. PICK UP THE FUCKING SKILLET), but holy shit the final boss must be like 5fps.

MAKE UP YOUR MIND PEOPLE. :(

jariw

Is it really a fps issue? I have no problem doing speed boost on that level without stuttering animations.

We haven't beaten the final boss yet (but have reached quite far now) and I get more of a feeling it's a analog-stick-movemement-in-a-dpad-style-game issue. When things are close together, I usually pick up the wrong thing. And I can be close to a thing, but it will not pick up anything, because the angle towards the thing is wrong (and the highlight on the thing isn't that sharp).

WhatNXt

Pretty sure I read somewhere that their next game was going to be completely different :(

I read a recent interview following their BAFTA success where they said they had a few ideas - some are like Overcooked, some are not. I think they've pulled in some really great business for Team 17, so it won't surprise me if they get more manpower / funding for their next venture. I hope so - they deserve it!

Excellent. Nearly beaten the main campaign without it, but improvements of course welcome!

Talking of difficulty spikes, I'm playing with my girlfriend - and the first level that has caused a real problem (in 2 player for us, at least) is the lava level where the fryer/hobs/pans are floating around two islands in a figure eight. I'm sure there's a trick to getting the timing right, a system that will work, but it caused that much stress we had to put the game down haha..

jariw

Talking of difficulty spikes, I'm playing with my girlfriend - and the first level that has caused a real problem (in 2 player for us, at least) is the lava level where the fryer/hobs/pans are floating around two islands in a figure eight. I'm sure there's a trick to getting the timing right, a system that will work, but it caused that much stress we had to put the game down haha..

I'm playing with my daughter, and that's the only level that we don't have 2 stars on yet. We have to switch sides on that one to even get 1 star. I think (?) the are a couple of keys to beat that level:
1. Take it calm and use secure locations. You don't have to fill that many orders, but you can't afford to fail them in lava.
2. Rice and meat take different times to cook. The cooking has to be started at certain locations, and should complete on the left "island".

Peléo

A bit LTTP with this one, but just finished 3-1 in Co-op mode with my gf, what a great game. Some thoughts:

-Enjoy the way the games combine strategy, execution and coordination. It is one of the few games that actually requires constant and clear communication, because someone will eventually mess up the plan.
-Presentation and overall UI is a little bit worse than I expected. Looks cheap in some parts. Overworld is pretty neat though.
-Feel visuals could be slightly more clear.
-Controls are loose, but I feel this might be due to the joy-com.
-Glad they went over the top with the history and level design. Did not expect that level of crazyness, with splitting food trucks and slippery icebergs.
-Only played with 2 players so far, would love to see how it works with 4.
-Being able to use the plate to take food from the pan instead of using the pan to drop the food on the plate was a game changer.
-Wish there was an option to rewatch the level to spot areas of improvement.

LordKano

When we brought Overcooked: Special Edition to Nintendo Switch this July, we were delighted to see how much the Nintendo community embraced our brand of chaotic co-op cookery. We're thrilled to have seen Nintendo Switch owners all over the world playing on their TV screens, in handheld mode and even using tabletop mode to play together on the go.

But we understand that some players have also experienced a handful of performance issues that we did not detect during development. We've been actively working on addressing these issues ever since and we're now very happy to announce that the first of two planned patches is live!

Patch 1 is now available to download on your Nintendo Switch console and contains the following fixes...

General improvements to framerate across the entire game
Improvements to controller input
HD Rumble no longer activates for all players when Player 1 carries out an action
A crash triggered after lowering the vibration setting is fixed
An exploit for chopping in the single-player mode has been removed
An error in which worktop highlights was missing under certain circumstances is fixed
A bug causing the timer to cut off when switching between handheld and TV mode has been fixed

Now that Patch 1 is complete and live, we are busy finalising Patch 2, which will introduce even more improvements to performance. Please keep an eye out for it in the near future!

We're confident that these fixes result in a much-improved playing experience on Nintendo Switch and hope you agree too. If you have any comments at all regarding Overcooked: Special Edition then please let us know at the official Overcooked Facebook page or Twitter account where we'll be sure to see them.
https://www.team17.com/overcooked-special-edition-updated-nintendo-switch/

This game is basically my second favorite game on the Switch after Zelda. It's become so much of what my friends and I play now and is especially great at attracting the attention of those who don't play video games otherwise. Really addictive.

Top Bottom