• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overcooked Special Edition finally hitting the Switch this week

My wife is having a really tough time picking up and setting down things in the right spot. She keeps dropping ingredients on the square next to the cutting board, setting plates down beside the finished dish instead of plating them, etc.

This is even happening to me pretty frequently when in a hurry. I feel like there needs to be a little give. If she's holding an ingredient and standing right in front of the cutting board and presses A.... Just let it drop on the damn cutting board, even if her character is facing very slightly to the right or left.

It's been a huge point of frustration for her and it's making her feel like she's screwing up the levels for me. =/

That would ruin the game when you want to stack veggies next to the chopping board (in levels like
the moving truck, or when you're giving ingredients over the counter to other players
, where you want to hoard them.

WhatNXt

Really considering this for me and my wife. Is two player good?

I'd consider it the best local multiplayer currently available for Switch. Certainly for couch gaming with significant others.

Got to the ice levels with the gf last night. She insists on 3 starring every level, it's been exhausting on one or two of them!

Okada

Coming from the PS4 and PC versions, the framerate is definitely a bit iffy. Especially the intro level. It's not game breaking at all but it's definitely not smooth.

Having the game portable makes it worthwhile though. Me the wife and kid played some three player at a service stop on a trip home yesterday and it was great.

Raysoul

Okay, the final level is as laggy as the tutorial. This is the only level that affected us in terms of performance. It's doable, but it really needs a framerate boost.

oatmeal

Banned
My wife really didn't like Snipperclips but actually asks to play this as she enjoys it so much.
Cool, my wife didn't care for Snipperclips either.

It's the main game my wife had played with me this generation. She doesn't play with me often - but she loved this. She was determined to get 3 stars on all levels!

Definitely get it mate. For me it's the best couch co OP game since castle Crashers
HmmmMmmm...I'll see if she's interested.

Got this yesterday, and my girlfriend didn't like it because of the touchiness of the controls which may possibly be due to the framerate. Not too sure if she'll want to play it again. :/

She does like Pac Man Vs. a lot on Namco Museum though.

After playing this with my sort of non gamer wife we are preparing the divorce documents. Haha.

Seriously though this is a fun co-op game but there is plenty of yelling going on during some of the difficult stages.

Maiar_m

Played this with completed videogame newbies last week, day of release. The framerate could do better, but they still loved it a lot. My GF and I used to play the PS4 version until we realised we hated each other's guts when playing coop games :D Still the same instantly fun game though.

Raysoul

Update: We finished the game with my GF.

The framerate of the final stage really did bother us. It's also brutal so we had to look up some tips to finish the game.

Can't wait to have our officemates play this.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Everyone playing this game with their spouse/partner/GF I would also recommend: Infinite Minigolf & Death Squared. $14.99 each on the eShop, great spouse games if they enjoyed this.

I thought both were better for non-gamer spouse, like my wife, than Snipperclips.

oatmeal

Banned
Bought it today and played through about 2-4 with my wife. Did the first 5-6 and then went back for 3 stars. Doing fairly well, but I fear that her gameplay skills aren't good enough to advance much further. We'll see...that's always been the problem withe games.

Super Mario 3D World was fun when it was the easy levels, but but World 3 she couldn't keep up and lost interest fast.

Marceles

Everyone playing this game with their spouse/partner/GF I would also recommend: Infinite Minigolf & Death Squared. $14.99 each on the eShop, great spouse games if they enjoyed this.

I thought both were better for non-gamer spouse, like my wife, than Snipperclips.

I saw Minigolf on the store and automatically thought this. I'll probably get it tonight

El Odio

Banned
Picked this up when a friend came over today and played a bit into the second world with 3 people and I really don't see the framerate issues some people are complaining about. The load times are much more bothersome.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Picked this up when a friend came over today and played a bit into the second world with 3 people and I really don't see the framerate issues some people are complaining about. The load times are much more bothersome.

Agreed. The load times are sliiiiiightly faster if you installed to the internal memory.

How the hell do people get 3 stars on 2 players? Seem so impossible. We can get 2 stars no prob, but 3 seems so far out of reach!

Keikaku

Played a couple of levels with my girlfriend yesterday and we're ready for more today!

Haven't noticed any framerate issues in the early levels and my girlfriend had loads of fun. This is just as awesome a coop game as I remembered!

Holy shit this is actually the most fun I've had with a multiplayer game in years. Probably since Castle Crashers. Just so fun. It flits between hilariously failing and getting way too intense with it. I was occasionally shouting stuff at my friends like I was working in an actual restaurant i.e. "Get out of my station!"

Love it so much.

Add me to the list of people with a non gaming wife constantly asking to play Overcooked.

Only have 1 controller on X1 and PS4 so the Switch release was an insta buy. Well worth the wait.

Is there no way to have a second player drop out of the game without completely shutting down the game? I got stuck in a state where it kept telling me the controller was disconnected and covering the center of the screen and remained that way unless I either connected the second controller again or shut down the game to start it again. Seems like a really bad bug.

ne1

Even though they've said that they are working on it, I think perhaps it would be a good idea for everyone to report the performance issues on https://www.team17.com/support/ to increase the demand, in hope of them putting some serious resources on fixing them. In the best of worlds they'd even make some improvements of the code that could benefit the performance of the other versions of the game as well.
I bought it despite the initial reports and have to say that it really hampers the fun of the game.

WhatNXt

Is there no way to have a second player drop out of the game without completely shutting down the game? I got stuck in a state where it kept telling me the controller was disconnected and covering the center of the screen and remained that way unless I either connected the second controller again or shut down the game to start it again. Seems like a really bad bug.

For me I just press L+R (or SL+Sr) from the map or any of the menu screens and then just sync one controller.

If you didn't already know, one tap of the sync button turns a controller off.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
My wife and I went back and got 3 stars on the first four stages in World 1. We felt SO COOL. It seemed impossible when we first started, it's great to see our own skills level up. But for real, some of those stages in World 2 and 3 seem crazy impossible. Especially when dealing with the ice stages.

Raysoul

My wife and I went back and got 3 stars on the first four stages in World 1. We felt SO COOL. It seemed impossible when we first started, it's great to see our own skills level up. But for real, some of those stages in World 2 and 3 seem crazy impossible. Especially when dealing with the ice stages.

Yeah, we also thought that, but we did it anyways and was also surprised. The downside is I'm the one being shouted at whenever we fail. Haha!

For me I just press L+R (or SL+Sr) from the map or any of the menu screens and then just sync one controller.

If you didn't already know, one tap of the sync button turns a controller off.

I tried that and it kept complaining that a controller was disconnected and I had to hit L + R to get to the controller setup to fix it. Nothing would make that go away unless I added the second controller back in.

ViolentP

Agreed. The load times are sliiiiiightly faster if you installed to the internal memory.

How the hell do people get 3 stars on 2 players? Seem so impossible. We can get 2 stars no prob, but 3 seems so far out of reach!

A friend and I get together every couple of weeks and get drunk and play Overcooked. We never jump to the next level without hitting 3 stars first. We are currently on the last level.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
A friend and I get together every couple of weeks and get drunk and play Overcooked. We never jump to the next level without hitting 3 stars first. We are currently on the last level.

Maybe we need to get drunk to become better focused!! Yeah!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So it's fun, but not marriage saving fun?

After each attempt, we talk about what we did right, what we did wrong, and adjust our plan of action accordingly. It's honestly been half the fun.

That's exactly what me and my wife do as well after stages. It's a lot of fun, we haven't had any shouting or yelling, just a lot of laughing after setting the kitchen on fire, while floating on an iceberg.

oatmeal

Banned
Further thoughts...

- Game is great overall, awesome design that really makes you think sometimes.
- Lack of a quick "Retry" option is such a bizarre oversight.
- I learned from this game that my left joy con is indeed plagued by the problem everyone else had at launch and I just sent it in to Nintendo today. My wife didn't like the Pro Controller and preferred the JC's with the grip but complained about struggling with the controls. I figured it was just the 'not gamer' in her having an issue, but when I tried it last night I felt how fucked up it was. D'Oh!
- Really enjoyable. Lots of content with all of the DLC. Three stars is a great feeling when you get it.

BTA

My wife is having a really tough time picking up and setting down things in the right spot. She keeps dropping ingredients on the square next to the cutting board, setting plates down beside the finished dish instead of plating them, etc.

This is even happening to me pretty frequently when in a hurry. I feel like there needs to be a little give. If she's holding an ingredient and standing right in front of the cutting board and presses A.... Just let it drop on the damn cutting board, even if her character is facing very slightly to the right or left.

It's been a huge point of frustration for her and it's making her feel like she's screwing up the levels for me. =/

This is potentially a really dumb/insulting question, but: is she letting go of the analog stick?

It took like 3/4 of the game for my sister and I to realize that the reason our mom was having this problem (on PS4, mind, so I get that framerate stuff may make missing more likely on Switch) was that she was never letting the stick be still.

Palehorse

My wife is having this exact problem and I'm running into it too. I'm the gamer, she's not. I had the Pro controller and she had a joy-con with rail. We got a ways into world 2.

May try swapping controllers next time, but we were having fun despite it.

oatmeal

Banned
My wife is having this exact problem and I'm running into it too. I'm the gamer, she's not. I had the Pro controller and she had a joy-con with rail. We got a ways into world 2.

May try swapping controllers next time, but we were having fun despite it.

Check if your joy con is having the sync issue from launch. Mine is, and I had to send it in today.

Palehorse

Check if your joy con is having the sync issue from launch. Mine is, and I had to send it in today.

She was using a brand new grey con I picked up as a 4th so the family could play. I haven't tested it for sync issues, didn't even think of it. I'll check it tonight.

Further thoughts...

- Lack of a quick "Retry" option is such a bizarre oversight.

Not quite the same, but in the last few seconds if you realize you're not going to meet your goal, you can hit pause and select restart. We've done that plenty of times.

oatmeal

Banned
Not quite the same, but in the last few seconds if you realize you're not going to meet your goal, you can hit pause and select restart. We've done that plenty of times.
I have done that as well, and it works when I know the target. But first time or second through a level I'm not thinking about what my goal is and am trying to squeeze out every seconds

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I have a hard time setting things down/picking them up in the correct spot too.

I wish the game zoomed in on the kitchen a little more, I feel like that would help.

Just played this for the first time tonight with my kids. So much fun. This is the perfect game for the Switch. Cannot wait to play this with some friends over drinks.

Bought the game last night, played it with the wife and she loves it.

Two questions:

1. Does the game's difficulty adjust to the # of players?

2. Anyone else's Switch run loud playing this game? Never happened to me before playing this one, not for Zelda or Mario Kart. My Switch was burning hot and its fan was screaming.

Hegarol

Bought the game last night, played it with the wife and she loves it.

Two questions:

1. Does the game's difficulty adjust to the # of players?

2. Anyone else's Switch run loud playing this game? Never happened to me before playing this one, not for Zelda or Mario Kart. My Switch was burning hot and its fan was screaming.
1. The three star requirement changes depending on the amount of players. 1 and 2 stars stay the same.
2. Have no problems so far.

lt519

Man this game is fun, have never gotten my wife to play games with me for as long as we did last night on this one. Was rough at first but the games humor keeps the tension down. By the end we were nailing the 3 star challenges through the first world. Made it through three worlds. "I need a tomato" "Coming up!" "That's a fire extinguisher"

Some great moments.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Man this game is fun, have never gotten my wife to play games with me for as long as we did last night on this one. Was rough at first but the games humor keeps the tension down. By the end we were nailing the 3 star challenges through the first world. Made it through three worlds. "I need a tomato" "Coming up!" "That's a fire extinguisher"

Some great moments.

Same here, my wife LOVES this game! Are there any unlocks or prizes for 3 staring everything?

Gradon

My boyfriend bought me this for my birthday today, I've been meaning to get it for a while on PlayStation but the Switch version is the one he got! It's so good, me and my bf are quite particular to coop games and this game is perfect for coop. So hectic! Having to communicate and do everything is mind boggling. Can only get 2 stars ATM on everything but hopefully we'll get better soon.

Top Bottom