• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overview of Nintendo's FY 2016 Second Quarter Earnings Release/Briefing on Oct. 26/27

sinxtanx

I'll keep my expectations low. What would they even talk to investors about, other than "The Switch will launch in March 2017. Please watch our preview trailer to understand the concept behind it."?

ReitStuff

I'll keep my expectations low. What would they even talk to investors about, other than "The Switch will launch in March 2017. Please watch our preview trailer to understand the concept behind it."?

They will ask questions. They'll want to know price. Kimishima said at the last meeting that NX was releasing in March and not this Holiday due to software lineup. I think someone will ask about that. Don't know what kinds of answers Nintendo will give, but I think we'all get some interesting nuggets.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Wasnt Kimishima supposed to be an acting CEO until they find the next one?

Wonder if that'll come up at the meeting.

I'm betting they will talk about Switch briefly at the news conference, talk about how well the trailer was received, yada yada, and then take some questions at the Q&A at the briefing. Someone is going to ask about price and they'll say they've learned from Wii U/3DS pricing but can't confirm a price today.

And that's all.

Whatever info we'll get out of this will likely be light on substantial Switch news unless Mochizuki lost something in translation and they meant that they would only speak about the Switch before release and not after 2016.

Results are in 12 hours or so. Investor briefing isn't for another 30 or so.

They sometimes do announce stuff alongside the former, though.

Whatever info we'll get out of this will likely be light on substantial Switch news unless Mochizuki lost something in translation and they meant that they would only speak about the Switch before release and not after 2016.

This is at least possible, since I haven't seen a single direct quote from Nintendo PR that says this, as opposed to "sometime before March." Not getting my hopes up, though.

FZZ

Banned
I'm still expecting some Switch news

should be interesting regardless

RIP Wii U

I'll never miss you

Ogodei

I'm still expecting some Switch news

should be interesting regardless

RIP Wii U

I'll never miss you

Splatoon, Bayonetta 2, Smash 4, Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3, the online version of Monster Hunter 3 U.

There'll be plenty to miss, personally, although not having to recharge my controller every other day (when playing in the dock, anyway) will be great.

Just wanted to repost a couple of things Kimishima said in a prior investors meeting

When he was asked about his decision to miss out on holiday sales, Mr. Kimishima explained his point of view, stating,

"When people finish the launch titles, they will want things to buy in spring, on summer break, at Christmas. As such, it’s not simply a question of when the hardware’s ready; rather, we need to ensure our software lineup is also in a good place."

He was really driving home how important software is and thereafter.

Mr. Kimishima also explained that sales predictions for the NX's launch were still uncertain. Finally, when asked if the NX would be more expensive than the Wii U, Mr. Kimishima responded,

"It’s true there is a certain expectation for the prices of Nintendo consoles. Our developers put a lot into them, but we can not sell at a loss. The final price is determined by balancing these two conflicting ideas. I don’t believe it’s as simple as “because this is a new platform, we can make it more expensive.”

I like how he said just because it's new it can't be expensive. Bodes well for the pricing of the Switch.

A price would be nice. I fully anticipate "no updates until 2017," but who knows? Investors probably have more than enough questions to drill Kimishima-san into dropping more details.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
A price would be nice. I fully anticipate "no updates until 2017," but who knows? Investors probably have more than enough questions to drill Kimishima-san into dropping more details.

I doubt we see that until January.

The real question is how much will the stock move after these two meetings...

I'm anticipating a drop after the earnings report shows that Nintendo didn't make all that much on Pokemon GO, but will good Switch forecasts override that? Inquiring minds want to know...

So when the OP says a Corporate Management Policy Briefing is scheduled not to happen... What exactly are we missing out on?

Will there still be an opportunity for investors to ask questions? (Regardless of whether or not there is live tweeting)

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
So when the OP says a Corporate Management Policy Briefing is scheduled not to happen... What exactly are we missing out on?

Will there still be an opportunity for investors to ask questions? (Regardless of whether or not there is live tweeting)
Financial Results Briefings usually have a Q&A, and members of the media will get to ask Tatsumi Kimishima questions about Nintendo Switch during the news conference in conjunction with the earnings release.

MuchoMalo

Banned
I see no reason to expect anything other than maybe a sales projection for Switch.

Oh, and people saying that Nintendo is doomed due to the huge loss.

Anth0ny

conservative predictions:

brief summary of the switch video and their mission statement with the platform
new 3d mario trailer
metroid prime 4 announcement + trailer
smash for switch featuring ice climbers and snake

TheJoRu

I expect brags about big exposure (views on social media etc.) for the trailer and a lot of iterating stuff we already knew.

The most I expect is something like an investor asking "I like smartphones. They have touch screens. Will Switch have touch screen?" with Kimishima giving a sort of non-confirmation, but basically says that it's something people have come to expect from portable devices, and it's something they've been "aware of when developing Switch".

sinxtanx

conservative predictions:

brief summary of the switch video and their mission statement with the platform
new 3d mario trailer
metroid prime 4 announcement + trailer
smash for switch featuring ice climbers and snake

this is not a Direct and these are not at all conservative predictions for this
MoiSO4v.gif

AzaK

"Switch will be released on March 2017"
"We are developing a new Mario Game for it for release within the launch window, of 0-18 months"
"Zelda will be ready on release day"
"We are remastering some of our Wii U title to avoid previous droughts"

THAT is what to expect.

ggx2ac

Hopefully we have people this time actually talking about the thread topic instead of backseat modding.

OSAKA -- Nintendo is expected to report a 160% year-on-year increase in group net profit to around 30 billion yen ($289 million) for the April-September fiscal half thanks to the sale of a stake in the Seattle Mariners professional baseball team.
The profit surge came even as the strong yen led to foreign currency losses of roughly 40 billion yen.

The company booked an operating profit of 8.9 billion yen in the April-September period of 2015 but will likely report a loss of about 5 billion yen for the just-ended half.

http://asia.nikkei.com/Japan-Update/Nintendo-profit-seen-surging-160-on-sale-of-Mariners-stake

More at the link.

Hopefully we have people this time actually talking about the thread topic instead of backseat modding.

http://asia.nikkei.com/Japan-Update/Nintendo-profit-seen-surging-160-on-sale-of-Mariners-stake

More at the link.

Mariner's sale will wash their books for the FY.

Completely forgot about that Mariner's sale. I guess they did wind up picking the exact right time to do that, since this would've been a fairly dismal quarter otherwise.

Jackano

Time to go to bed and in the morning read about some tiny glimpse of Switch news, and dumb media/investor questions to Mr. K.

AntMurda

There will definitely be something worthy during the presentation, and especially during the Q&A. Not specs or official game announcements - but Switch related news for sure.

EVH

I wonder if we will get some powerpoints woth info as we sometimes do. Hope they say something about online capabilities.

Its time for the Q&A epic war about price!

Investor: Give me a price NOW!
Kimi: Nah. We want to show the "value" of NS.
I: We need a price for that.
K: NO I SAY!
I: GIVE ME A FUCKING PRICE NOW!!
K: This is Nintendo, where we do our own thing. So no price until January!
I: FFS Nintendo.

I really want a price tonight. Is there even a 1% chance? :(

Top Bottom