• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch Beta League plagued with cheaters

Most people in this thread forget that Overwatch was recently in open beta and banning cheaters was most likely a very low priority task for Blizzard considering banned players could instantly create new accounts. It is likely that Blizzard will release a big ban wave shortly after release, significantly culling the number of cheaters. Those banned could repurchase Overwatch however the cost of the game ($40USD +) will certainly act as a reasonable deterrent for repeat cheaters. Relax peeps, Blizzard knows what they are doing.

I played the game for about half a dozen hours and don't seem to have encountered any hackers. I think some people are overreacting a tad about the number of hackers. Lighten up people.

i played the game for about 30 hours total...

i THINK i experienced hax in about 10 matches within that time? (mind you, like 4 of those matches were against the same people).

so all in all....those matches lasted like 5 minutes each....so thats about 50 minutes out of 30 hours.

That's not bad at all....but still annoying as hell when you are in those games.

Risible

Have you ever rolled your eyes so hard reading something that you were afraid they got stuck? Your snark level is an 11 right now. They just made an observation. I played this round of the beta for about 50 hrs and didn't notice anything. Nor did I notice anything in all the previous amount of time I spent playing with pubs. And I played a lot.

I really don't think this is a widespread problem. However, if this is true, it needs to be taken down quickly. That evidence seems pretty strong from all that I have seen. I'll wait and see what Bliizard does before jumping to conclusions.

Playing for six hours and then claiming people are overreacting about there being hackers because they didn't see any in their six hours of playtime rates some snark, in my opinion.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Playing for six hours and then claiming people are overreacting about there being hackers because they didn't see any in their six hours of playtime rates some snark, in my opinion.

Depending on how their MMR works I would lend to believe the longer you play the more you find due to, in theory, getting better and getting higher MMR in which you'll get more groupings with cheaters in the higher ranks.

I've played way longer than 6 hours and I don't think I've played against a single hacker. Months in the closed beta btw. So heck yeah, people are overreacting like crazy avoiding a platform because of this.... lol.

Crono27

I've played way longer than 6 hours and I don't think I've played against a single hacker. Months in the closed beta btw. So heck yeah, people are overreacting like crazy avoiding a platform because of this.... lol.

agreed. Been in closed beta for months. People are just over reacting. Also people saying i'm not going to pick it up on pc cause cheaters and canceling it and switching ti console a or b never planed on picking it up on pc anyway.

Blizzard made an official statement on how they're going to deal with cheaters:
http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20743596231

Blizzard said:
We’ve always taken cheating in Blizzard games very seriously, and that stance is no different for Overwatch. “Play nice; play fair” is one of our core values as a company, and it’s something we’ve taken to heart not only when designing the game, but also as we’ve developed our plans to support it and our players after launch.

What does this mean for Overwatch? If a player is found to be cheating—or using hacks, bots, or third-party software that provides any sort of unfair advantage—that player will be permanently banned from the game. Full stop. Not only does cheating undermine the spirit of fair play that all of our products are based on, but it works to diminish the fun and enjoyment of others. While we are unlikely to publicly acknowledge when accounts are closed as a result of cheating or using unauthorized programs, we have and will continue to monitor Overwatch for exploitative behavior, as well as take action as needed to preserve the integrity of game.

These assertions aren’t new or groundbreaking for Blizzard, but they’re important and serve as a reminder of our commitment to delivering epic gameplay experiences. For us, it’s not just about creating awesome games, but about supporting those games and their communities for years to come. The upcoming launch of Overwatch on May 24 is in many ways just the beginning, and we’re doing all that we can to prepare for that milestone and (perhaps more importantly) what comes after—not just in terms of new game content, but also how we can ensure a fair and equitable play environment for everyone.

More at the link.

It's definitely a good thing to do.
People should not pay 40 bucks to play the game just so they can cheat at it. Really hope that the price is also one reason why the game will be less plagued with cheaters than games like TF2 are.

Now they should just do something about that server ticks issue and this could probably be the best online shooter since the dawn of online shooters.

Tecnniqe

Banned

More at the link.

People should not pay 40 bucks to play the game just so they can cheat at it. Really hope that the price is also one reason why the game will be less plagued with cheaters than games like TF2 are.

Now they should just do something about that server ticks issue and this could probably be the best online shooter since the dawn of online shooters.
I think that 60 tick could help with the wonky camera shit, but lets see what they do.

What they said in that post dont explain the revive snap which was identical on Taimous clip.

I just want to highlight this portion because some were claiming that spectator/potg was irrelevant versus direct footage. I only mean to correct that specific line of thinking.

Our in-game camera system does not always play back footage at the same fidelity as real-time gameplay (this loss in fidelity applies to the killcam, Plays of the Game, Highlights, and—to a lesser extent—the spectator camera as well). This can sometimes result in a player’s aim appearing more snappy or less fluid in playback than it did in-game.

With the above, there may be bugs with the in-game camera system that affect playback footage. In the Closed Beta, we actually had a bug that caused the killcam and spectator camera angle to suddenly “snap” whenever Zarya cast Particle Barrier or Projected Barrier. While we’re unaware of any issues with the camera system at present, undiscovered bugs are always a possibility to consider.

Toxi

Banned

More at the link.

So does this mean they're gonna do spot bans or will they do waves?

Top Bottom