• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch competitive mode out today on PC, next week on consoles

Sifl

I'm gonna admit, I'm going to be 1 of those salty as fuck people if I decide to play it. I don't care if we lose, I only care if we are flagrantly and offensively terrible, which seems to be commonplace. If I see any sub 1000 heal Mercy's like I did last night (I got the gold medal with Roadhog) the salt will increase tenfold.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
So did they make any improvements or fix issues from the PTR version?

hydruxo

I'm only playing this with a full squad. As much as I love Overwatch, I've experienced enough frustration when playing with 2 or 3 of my friends and a couple of randoms on our team who don't go for the objective in quick play.

R0ckman

Wait, we haven't even gotten those yet? Oh man is my friend gonna be stoked about incoming McCree changes considering he thinks they've already happened.

They may wait on McCree, they are realizing that the nerf has actually screwed up the balance a bit, Reapers running rampant, Genji being tougher to deal with, 0.7 stun too short for all bullets to unload for the kill etc.

1upsuper

Do we know how exactly the rewards and points work? Can you just play lots of that mode and eventually get cool stuff, or is it contingent on actually playing well? I'm hoping for the former, personally.

TheYanger

Do we know how exactly the rewards and points work? Can you just play lots of that mode and eventually get cool stuff, or is it contingent on actually playing well? I'm hoping for the former, personally.

We don't know EXACTLY how it works, but it's the former. They said very high ranking players iwll be able to afford a golden gun just from one season, others will accumulate points over multiple to buy them.

1upsuper

We don't know EXACTLY how it works, but it's the former. They said very high ranking players iwll be able to afford a golden gun just from one season, others will accumulate points over multiple to buy them.

Phew, awesome. I love this game and I'm decent, but I was worried I'd be locked out of the skins and stuff because I'm not great.

fresquito

I just played my first official ranked game. It was very exciting. I've decided I will be focusing on playing tanks and supports. I'm not fit to make the difference on attack heroes.

Btw, we won by a slight margin.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
So you still eat a loss if a random on your team leaves, I really don't think that's fair. The game should be eligible to leave without penalty nor a loss for anyone not in the leavers party.

Ferrio

Banned
So you still eat a loss if a random on your team leaves, I really don't think that's fair. The game should be eligible to leave without penalty nor a loss for anyone not in the leavers party.

Then you have people abuse that. I think the idea is that in the end leavers penalty balances out 50/50 in/against your favor.

MUnited83

For you.

jesus, so it's going to take a while. Kinda underwhelming tbh

16BitNova

I like that there is ranked mode coming, but I don't like this new trend of seasons. I don't have as much time to play anymore, and I feel like I barely start moving up the ranks and then they just reset. I wish things were still like the old days, like Socom for example, where the ranks and leaderboards didn't reset every few months, I think they reset like 2 or 3 times in the games life (Socom 1 and 2).

Just kind of makes rank pointless to me when they reset so often.

Skux

Let the toxicity begin. Now everyone will play cheese heroes and abuse reach other for doing so/not doing so.

jediyoshi

I like that there is ranked mode coming, but I don't like this new trend of seasons. I don't have as much time to play anymore, and I feel like I barely start moving up the ranks and then they just reset. I wish things were still like the old days, like Socom for example, where the ranks and leaderboards didn't reset every few months, I think they reset like 2 or 3 times in the games life (Socom 1 and 2).

Just kind of makes rank pointless to me when they reset so often.

Except you still have your regular level that's cumulative and that doesn't reset.

You should enjoy this better because over a set interval, everyone is put on an even level again.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Then you have people abuse that. I think the idea is that in the end leavers penalty balances out 50/50 in/against your favor.

How do you abuse it? Unless you think a random will "take one for the team". That would be a damn sight rarer than losing rating because of a leaver which is totally out of your control. Winners should still get their win, but no one other than the leaver should lose anything.

D.Va

Neo Member
And then you get into a nasty cycle where you die - waiting to respawn - you're teammates die, which leads to them bitching about "the shitty Mercy player".

Had that happened today.

As a person who typically plays healers, I'm so glad that all of the characters in Overwatch are amazing to play so I can avoid this type of poison. It really sucks though, but what you should do then is "if you can't even keep the healer alive, then really who is the shietty player rn" in match chat. Or is that stooping to their level... idk. :/

On topic: I'm so excited for this. I've never really done competitive play before because I was always the "I don't care about multiplayer!!!!!" along with the crappy internet and never really playing on PC, but Overwatch has awakened something within me...............

Not feeling the sudden death round on payload. The coin flip decides it, easier to attack.

Didn't they say they'd be removing this?

this sounds similar to competitive play in rocket league

I only played that cause there was less chance of quitters

wonder if that's the case here

otherwise golden guns don't seem worth the salt

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
And they kept in kill cams? It doesn't seem they took on board any feedback from the PTR.

RevenWolf

How do you abuse it? Unless you think a random will "take one for the team". That would be a damn sight rarer than losing rating because of a leaver which is totally out of your control. Winners should still get their win, but no one other than the leaver should lose anything.

The general abuse I've seen is that a partial premade group will start throwing abuse, harassment, and trolling at the lone player until he breaks down and leaves. Freeing the group from penalties.

Blizzard

Banned
First Overwatch game! 44 elims, 3 gold medals, we're 1 minute away from winning!

GAME CRASH, WAITING ON SCAN AND REPAIR, WAITING ON REPAIR UPDATE, REJOIN DURING SUDDEN DEATH, TEAM LOSES

That was heartbreaking. I was playing so well. ;_;

jediyoshi

First Overwatch game! 44 elims, 3 gold medals, we're 1 minute away from winning!

GAME CRASH, WAITING ON SCAN AND REPAIR, WAITING ON REPAIR UPDATE, REJOIN DURING SUDDEN DEATH, TEAM LOSES

That was heartbreaking. I was playing so well. ;_;

If you're like me and had to rejoin a comp game to then win, my placement results bugged and still got a loss.

M.J. Doja

Banned
Competitive definitely comes down to how many willing support players your team has.

When only two people in a group can play Tank/Support, youre bound to lose hard.

Animator

The two competitive matches I played with randoms were amazing. People switching heroes to counter heroes all the time. Good times.

Shit is INTENSE.

Cynn

They may wait on McCree, they are realizing that the nerf has actually screwed up the balance a bit, Reapers running rampant, Genji being tougher to deal with, 0.7 stun too short for all bullets to unload for the kill etc.
Is this your opinion or has Blizzard said something about not doing the patch?

Blizzard

Banned
If you're like me and had to rejoin a comp game to then win, my placement results bugged and still got a loss.
Fun times.

My second game was a payload offense with no healer where literally only 2 of us ever seemed to touch the kart. We didn't even get the first point, even with me spamming that I had Zarya ult ready and begging on mic for anyone to come near so I could shield them.

Hyun Sai

They won't delay the console competitive patch for McCree like they won't delay it for Torb nerf. The patch is alreay in certification.

Speely

Banned
Anyone here with modest to low MMR have thoughts on how well it matches you up? In QP I usually do ok, and playing against a BETTER overall team is awesome because it makes me better, but playing on a team where I am the weak link sucks. How accurate does the matchmaking seem in practice?

Nope

You put people who abandon in low priority queue just like Dota 2 with other quitters. They then have to win 5 games and they're not able to pick the character they play as and the other team needs at least one person in at the end for it to count.

Blizzard

Banned
Found one dumb thing: Competitive KOTH forces you to play all 3 rounds, even if one team wins the first 2. After we went 2-0, half the enemy team left and it just felt stupid while we waited on the point to capture.

Spruchy

Went on a tear as Lucio first match, clutch ults, kills, healing machine...team got wrecked by a skilled tracer.

R.I.P. my mmr or w/e they call it ;_;

aeolist

Banned
i'm not bothering with my placement matches till this weekend probably

need to have a couple warmup games before i can play well and i have to have some time to dedicate

Top Bottom