• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch competitive mode out today on PC, next week on consoles

Animator

Hopefully this means I will play with a team that doesn't run to the front door of enemy spawn on payload defense maps and get murdered.

Thinking about it more, each hero should have different things that are weighed in one when determining your rank. Lucio & Mercy for Heals, Reinhardt for Damage Blocked & Objective Time, etc.

Unfortunately I think it only determines winning and losing. At least for ranking up. Placement matches may be different.

jerd

Thinking about it more, each hero should have different things that are weighed in one when determining your rank. Lucio & Mercy for Heals, Reinhardt for Damage Blocked & Objective Time, etc.

I'll never understand why people want this in games. Accruing the most stats doesn't mean you're playing well

Mush

The McCree and Widowmaker nerfs should be bundled into this patch. The Torb nerf won't be coming until late July.
Wait, we haven't even gotten those yet? Oh man is my friend gonna be stoked about incoming McCree changes considering he thinks they've already happened.

My overwatch server went down. Related?

4d9f6d572c.png

357cfda80b.jpg

In my experience, this happens somewhat often.

The loud mouth random jackass on the team sees you do your one or two fuckups for the entire round and he'll either bitch at you over text or on his mic.

I'm kinda worried that competitive mode is just going to make this behavior even more common as players seek to take their frustration out on everyone else.
My experience of competitive was people were actually calmer and more cooperative than in Quick Play, but admittedly I only played 11 games in the PTR.

Also, if someone is particularly abusive or nasty, you should report them. Blizzard can review in-game chat logs.

TheFatMan

Toxic is becoming such an overused word to the point where it's gonna lose all meaning soon enough.

I'm trying to imagine people hearing trash talk during sports and going "wow this sure is toxic".

There is a HUGE difference between trash talk and the shit that comes out of peoples mouths and keyboards in online games. Toxic is a perfectly fine description of the names and attitudes I hear on Overwatch and other games daily.

Se_7_eN

I am guessing the Season Costume rewards will be revealed later?

I am excited to see how much worse Zarya's costumes can get...

I'm so tired of this game, so many people are using mouse and keyboard on console. It's unfair.
I hope Blizzard could do something about it but I don't think they can cuz it's a third-party stuff. Sigh...

Warewolf

My experience of competitive was people were actually calmer and more cooperative than in Quick Play, but admittedly I only played 11 games in the PTR.

Also, if someone is particularly abusive or nasty, you should report them. Blizzard can review in-game chat logs.

I ended up playing 13 games (including Placement) in PTR so not many at all either but I had to chime in.

I had the exact opposite experience. Far less willingness to coordinate than I am used to in Quick play. People much more worried about rank than playing as a team, far too hyper about their ideas of good team composition. people stopping mid play to type out harassment at each other over the chat. lots of early GG spam and other such typical nonsense. I blocked more people in 13 PTR competitive matches than I probably had in my preceding 50 Quick play matches. I uninstalled the test region it was so counter productive.

For what it's worth I have ~36 hours in game with Reinhardt as my most played at somewhere north of 8 hours.

I hated it. for the most part people need to get out of their own way. I would much prefer a more obfuscated or maybe completely hidden player rank. But I don't usually play anything competitively so that may be completely off the table.

Sounds good to me. People who view it as "serious business" can migrate over to ranked and do their complaining about sucky teammates and non-optimal compositions there.

Not yet, but I'm sure more are coming. I'm betting on an eventual nerf to any character that is super agile. On console, their survival rate is amplified because of the poor aiming controls of their opponents. Characters like a good Genji, Tracer, or Lucio have much higher survival rates on console because of warping around, jumping around, whatever maneuverability that makes it difficult for controller players to get a lock on them to kill. Bunny hopping in general becomes an effective tactic on console more than PC due to this. Bunny hopping junkrat tires have a very high survival rate on their way to target as well.

Basically compensation for shit analog stick controls will probably be made balance-wise to the more agile characters and abilities.

Just wondering if you ever tried aiming and actually hitting anyone as Genji while bunny hopping.

Fitts

Cool. Now that there's a separate competitive mode there's no reason not to bring back aim assist for controllers in quick play.

...come at me.

ArjanN

Players can be pretty mean to each other too.

I'm not defending any of this btw, I'm simply saying the word feels really played out, at least in my eyes something that is "toxic" should be slowly killing itself rather than have some of the biggest numbers of all time for a game right?

Just because a game is popular doesn't mean the community can't be toxic. A lot of people will just put up with people being assholes online because they like a game, but that doesn't mean it isn't still a negative.

23qwerty

My hope is once you reach a decent MMR you'll start to be put with and against people of your skill level so games are more even instead of the stomp or be stomped situation we see in Quick Play.

I'm pretty sure it already is doing matchmaking. Stomps are gonna happen sometimes even if both teams are evenly matched.

Salex_

It feels so satisfying to climb up the ladder and seeing improvements in your gameplay over time. Looking forward to trying this out tonight.

Off-topic: Who is that in your avatar Spring Drive? I don't think I ever seen an asian woman with kinky curly hair (I think that's what it's called). Kind of looks like she's blasian?

Top Bottom