• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch competitive mode out today on PC, next week on consoles

Zemm

No idea why they don't have solo/pair que vs. team que.

Impossible to win when on your own.

This would be idea (solo/duo queue vs everything else) but I can imagine the playerbase (especially long-term) wouldn't be large enough for quickish matchmaking. This isn't LoL for sure.

Arkeband

Banned
I stopped playing because it was too boring without ranked.

And now I have to grind up to 25 in unranked to play ranked.

faaaack

Biltmore

Banned
I feel like the game just randomly gives you a number from 45-60 regardless of your performance in the placements. Went 8-2 on the beta server got 58. Went 7-3 on live and got a low 49. A friend of mine that has substantially lower quick match MMR then me went 5-5 and got 51. System is so broken

More people are in the live than the beta, which would account for your drop. Also, how do you know your friends QP MMR rating, much less that it's "substantially lower" than yours?

You also have to account for individual play, who your playing against, etc. which is why a guy going 5-5 can have a higher rank than a guy going 7-3.

Well this quickly turned into this

4 games in, and in no short order

"WTF team?! You guys are the fucking worst i've ever played with!" (Who was saying this? You guessed it,
Widowmaker
, who had a 98% accuracy rate against the air)

"Why even play if you guys aren't gonna try?!?"

"Why did you pick [Insert hero here that Glorious Leader DOES NOT agree with, in his 20 part flawless strategy]? This is fucking competitive you Hillary supporter!"

"Can the non mic users switch to support? You fuckers aren't doing anything useful anyway!"

But hey, gotta get that GOLD right? :)

Yep, it's this kinda useless nonsense that will keep me away from ranked. It was already bad enough in norma play. Not shocked to see this.

Ayumi

Funnily most of my losses (4 losses, 6 wins in total) were on NA. I then switched to Asia, and things got way better. I always play on Asia usually, but it was early in the day and not enough people around to get a match when I started.

Needless to say, NA is super toxic right now, I'm definitely not going there again unless I'm going Quick Play with friends.

PaulloDEC

L - L - W - W - L - L - W - L - L - W, though several of the losses were in games where we were down a team member (or sometimes four of them). Although to be fair, some of our wins were against incomplete teams too.

Ended up with a competitive rank of 47 (to my regular level of 55). I've no idea if that's good or whatever, but there it is.

People were surprisingly friendly to be honest. Didn't hear a peep on voice chat, either.

I have a question. Are there less leavers? I don't care about teams with abysmal players. I care about leavers.

I think you're punished for leaving, but after we won the first round, someone on our team bailed, and it was permanently 5-6. It said we could leave at any time "without punishment", but would still count as a Loss, so we tried to scrape by. Almost did.

We had a trolling mei in competitive. Koldzero was called. All our team reported him.

And then in another the sudden death with attack on gibraltar, that is fucking impossible because they give super little time to get to the second point (they took out the first one)

We where even winning pushing their team back, super unfair.

Pretty shitty competitive mode. Going to wait and play with a full of friends instead on only one.

And I still dont understand the leavers thing, people leave, the game says you can leave in 50 seconds, and when you try by escape and then use leave match, the game pops up a giant message saying leavers will have a 75 percent exp penalty (we never did).

Also theres a lot of leavers, much more than in the normal mode. WTF people.

Is it out in EU or just US?

Playing on EU. Find 2 good communicating teams, the rest were all shit, and even one guy trolling as mei.
WHen they are not communicating, at the end people insulting the rest of the team when they were the worst, funny but sad and pretty toxic.

Went 6-4 and ended up at 55 rating. It actually went better than I expected and there was far less salt than I figured there would be. Probably just got lucky on that front, but it was a good start to competitive.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Playing on EU. Find 2 good communicating teams, the rest were all shit, and even one guy trolling as mei.
WHen they are not communicating, at the end people insulting the rest of the team when they were the worst, funny but sad and pretty toxic.

On the plus side Blizzard are pretty good at banning people for being toxic, especially as most people can't help but use racist and homophobic slurs to spice up their toxicity which are big no-nos. Sucks losing because people leave or troll, though.

Your score is determined by more factors than whether you just win or lose. It tracks your individual performance, no? Also, iirc, people who play support grow slightly slower too.

Is this true?
WTF Blizzard!

Now nobody will want to play mercys or lucios.
And I play support on a lot of the matches, becuase I like it, and becuase most of the time people are not even bothered to choose supports.

Talking PS4 version, but what penalty do you get for leaving? Less exp, which honestly only makes grinding for free loot boxes more annoying.

There's like zero punishement for leaving, you don't get an impact on your W/L percentage, you can still happily play the game as if nothing happend.

Currently at 1L-3W in calibration.

It works so much better if you mute & block toxic players.

But so far, team comps have been a bit better apart from the double Junkrat team we faced but they went down super easy.

Something I'm finding though is it's very easy to steamroll on attack if you get a good start. It's also easy to get stomped of your team comp is nonsensical or your team overextends too much.

So I guess it's kind of balanced in that regard.

Love the new music tracks to add to the tension as well. Super happy with cooperative so far.

nOoblet16

Yeah if they don't have the rewards in place already, what is the point? I don't have enough faith in the playerbase to expect them to randomly start playing the objective just because it's ranked. Could probably expect a lot more grief.
Point is that the modes themselves are more competitive, encouraging objective play.
Objectives play differently, payload is dependent on distance for example and both teams compete for maximum distance pushed while they take turn attacking/defending....rather than whether the pushing team manages to get to the end.

Talking PS4 version, but what penalty do you get for leaving? Less exp, which honestly only makes grinding for free loot boxes more annoying.

There's like zero punishement for leaving, you don't get an impact on your W/L percentage, you can still happily play the game as if nothing happend.

Well, the boxes spice a little bit the game, so I wouldnt like them to take me 75% exp FOREVER. Im also not going to buy any boxes, so I wouldnt like it either.

But yes, maybe some people dont gave two fucks about lootboxes. Maybe month long bans would be better.

nOoblet16

My hope is once you reach a decent MMR you'll start to be put with and against people of your skill level so games are more even instead of the stomp or be stomped situation we see in Quick Play.

But that happens even now, your MMR gets compared and you get put in a match according to that.
It's the reason why me and my friends don't run into the useless players that everyone talks about that often because we get put in with other people with high MMR...and is also the reason why we don't often see opponents do stuff that's only effective in low level matches.

DrArchon

Played 5 matches for calibration so far. I'm at 2W-3L. Playing solo is rough though. I would've won my first match is some numskull didn't stick with Widowmaker for 4 rounds of KotH on Lijiang Tower. Pretty much everyone on my team willing to talk was asking him to switch.

I have no idea how they expect normal people to get golden guns though. Are they seriously only gonna give out 1 competitive point per win? And then charge 300 per weapon? I kinda wanted Zenyatta's golden orbs (they fit so well with his Ra skin) but I guess I'll just forget about that.

jotun?

Well this quickly turned into this
http://i.imgur.com/XwPTe4G.jpg

4 games in, and in no short order

"WTF team?! You guys are the fucking worst i've ever played with!" (Who was saying this? You guessed it,
Widowmaker
, who had a 98% accuracy rate against the air)

"Why even play if you guys aren't gonna try?!?"

"Why did you pick [Insert hero here that Glorious Leader DOES NOT agree with, in his 20 part flawless strategy]? This is fucking competitive you Hillary supporter!"

"Can the non mic users switch to support? You fuckers aren't doing anything useful anyway!"

But hey, gotta get that GOLD right? :)

Press P, turn off chat, bliss

Well, the boxes spice a little bit the game, so I wouldnt like them to take me 75% exp FOREVER. Im also not going to buy any boxes, so I wouldnt like it either.

But yes, maybe some people dont gave two fucks about lootboxes. Maybe month long bans would be better.
DOTA 2 once (still?) had it this way, leave too often, and you'll get in a low priority pool and only able to play with other leavers/people in the low prio.

Took longer to find a game, and the player quality was ... well ... yeah. Problem was, in earlier DOTA 2 days one could freely report anyone for anything, so there was a fat chance to land into that low prio for "nothing".

All in all, Blizzard should think about making a similar approach, yet a bit more restrictive. BUT, they also, badly, need to work on the matchmaking, as right now, it sometimes seems just as simple as "who's searching right now and pack them together" instead of a little more in-depth decision based on player-meta-data and all.

Like i said in an earlier post, playing 3 games in a row where the enemy team completely dwarfs your own in terms of level, where this level actually had a meaning on how experienced a player was, is not fun and encourages leaving. (Or in my case insane inner raging)

We had a trolling mei in competitive. Koldzero was called. All our team reported him.

And then in another the sudden death with attack on gibraltar, that is fucking impossible because they give super little time to get to the second point (they took out the first one)

We where even winning pushing their team back, super unfair.

Pretty shitty competitive mode. Going to wait and play with a full of friends instead on only one.

And I still dont understand the leavers thing, people leave, the game says you can leave in 50 seconds, and when you try by escape and then use leave match, the game pops up a giant message saying leavers will have a 75 percent exp penalty (we never did).

The way leaving in a competitive mode works is this:

- you leave a 6v6 game before it starts, no penalty and no loss, but everyone else gets kicked out to start a fresh game unless you rejoin;
- you leave a 6v6 game after it starts, I don't think you take a loss but you do take a potential penalty depending on how often you do it, and you cannot join a new game until the match you left is over;
- someone else has left your team after the game starts, you'll get a message saying you can leave the match in X seconds (this is to allow the person who left to rejoin if it was a disconnect or a mistake). During this period, if you leave you will incur the same penalty as if you left a 6v6.
- someone left your team, and the "you can leave in X seconds" period is over, you can now leave without incurring the potential XP penalty/join restrictions/etc., but you'll get an automatic loss if you do.
- someone left the other team, no change for you. Play as normal, you get full XP and no penalty.

I think the confusion is that people think "penalty" and "loss" are the same thing. The penalty is specifically the 75% XP reduction, the inability to join another game while yours is in progress, and potentially more severe penalties down the road (Blizzard said something about banning people from the whole season, I think?). A loss is just a loss on your record, and has no implications beyond "you lost this one match."

The other thing I'm uncertain about is whether you take a loss as soon as you disconnect/grace period times out if you're the leaver.

Hybris

Went 10-0 with a premade 6 stack for 7 of those games and landed at rank 56. I'm thinking previous MMR from beta and quickplay is taken into account for your placement. Others in my group landed around 52-58 and one who played a ton of beta was 68.

dentoomw

W-W-W-L-L-L-L-W-W-L

Looks like that 50% winrate algorithm is working! Ranked 42, guess I'll take it.

All my games didn't seem very vitriolic, good sportsmanship for the most part apart from one game where we had a troll Torb on attack AND def who just sat in the base the entire time doing nothing, then proceeded to call us all noobs, LOL'd and left after we lost.

Went 10-0 with a premade 6 stack for 7 of those games and landed at rank 56. I'm thinking previous MMR from beta and quickplay is taken into account for your placement. Others in my group landed around 52-58 and one who played a ton of beta was 68.
It takes personal performance into account to some degree.

Hybris

It takes personal performance into account to some degree.

I was doing quite well, but our 68 is a really good player. He had a game with 90% kill participation. Makes sense. I wonder how it factors in how well you are doing if you are playing something like Reinhardt. What useful metrics could they pull from how well you are playing against a good team? You won't have a whole lot of damage or elims, and amount blocked is equally useless.

The way leaving in a competitive mode works is this:

- you leave a 6v6 game before it starts, no penalty and no loss, but everyone else gets kicked out to start a fresh game unless you rejoin;
- you leave a 6v6 game after it starts, I don't think you take a loss but you do take a potential penalty depending on how often you do it, and you cannot join a new game until the match you left is over;
- someone else has left your team after the game starts, you'll get a message saying you can leave the match in X seconds (this is to allow the person who left to rejoin if it was a disconnect or a mistake). During this period, if you leave you will incur the same penalty as if you left a 6v6.
- someone left your team, and the "you can leave in X seconds" period is over, you can now leave without incurring the potential XP penalty/join restrictions/etc., but you'll get an automatic loss if you do.
- someone left the other team, no change for you. Play as normal, you get full XP and no penalty.

I think the confusion is that people think "penalty" and "loss" are the same thing. The penalty is specifically the 75% XP reduction, the inability to join another game while yours is in progress, and potentially more severe penalties down the road (Blizzard said something about banning people from the whole season, I think?). A loss is just a loss on your record, and has no implications beyond "you lost this one match."

The other thing I'm uncertain about is whether you take a loss as soon as you disconnect/grace period times out if you're the leaver.

Thanks chrominance, thats was super well explained.

I dont know if it was a problem of the spanish translation but it was worded badly (or maybe we just read it too fast everytime it happened, because you are in the middle of the game) and we thought we hade to leave during those 50 seconds to not get a 75% penalty, now it makes more sense. You have to wait.
Still counting the loss is horrible, it should not count, you cant do anything if 3 persons in your team bail out, even if you try a 5 vs 6 at first. Even 5 vs 6 is pretty bad if the other team was already good enough.

vypek

Have the fixed the broken trophy on PS4? I haven't played Overwatch for a few weeks.

That Lockdown trophy that is absolutely broken will be fixed next week with the competitive add-on. There was a mention of it being fixed by a Blizzard employee. Issues with other trophies in select scenarios (like the Path Is Closed with D.Va) seem like they will be solved in another patch.

Which one is broken?

Patch should be out next week with all the new updates.

Gimmie that McCree nerf.

It is impossible to earn Lockdown. Someone mentioned to me that a few have earned it but if that is true then at the very least, the trophy being awarded is incredibly inconsistent.

aeolist

Banned
I was doing quite well, but our 68 is a really good player. He had a game with 90% kill participation. Makes sense. I wonder how it factors in how well you are doing if you are playing something like Reinhardt. What useful metrics could they pull from how well you are playing against a good team? You won't have a whole lot of damage or elims, and amount blocked is equally useless.

reinhardt gets a lot of objective time and damage blocked is an ok stat. hitting good ults for your team would certainly help too.

Hybris

Still counting the loss is horrible, it should not count, you cant do anything if 3 persons in your team bail out, even if you try a 5 vs 6 at first. Even 5 vs 6 is pretty bad if the other team was already good enough.
There's no other option really. That would be extremely exploitable if you just tell one of your friends to leave so none of the rest of you lose rating.

Hybris

reinhardt gets a lot of objective time and damage blocked is an ok stat. hitting good ults for your team would certainly help too.

Just seems arbitrary to me. We held first point on volskaya without them even touching the point once, so no one had objective time. Damage blocked is completely dependent on what other team's heroes are. Game only lasted long enough for 1 ult and it was just to use it at the end because the other team was so disorganized and never grouped up well enough. Idk I'm sure they have something in place, but I just can't see how it would be consistent.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Was initially ranked Level 37. Went all the way down to level 30, stayed up until 2AM and rose to level 31 before calling it a night. Thanks, Blizzard.

Ryde3

man was a brutal placement! Went lost the first 3, won 2, lost 2, then won 3, ended 5-5 and got level 48.

Excited to try and rank up.

There's no other option really. That would be extremely exploitable if you just tell one of your friends to leave so none of the rest of you lose rating.

Someone on my shortened team said the game could at least sub in bots. You wouldn't want bots that could really turn the tide of a match, obviously, but a bot Mercy providing bonus healing would be a better than nothing.

aeolist

Banned
Just seems arbitrary to me. We held first point on volskaya without them even touching the point once, so no one had objective time. Damage blocked is completely dependent on what other team's heroes are. Game only lasted long enough for 1 ult and it was just to use it at the end because the other team was so disorganized and never grouped up well enough. Idk I'm sure they have something in place, but I just can't see how it would be consistent.

algorithmic skill ratings will always be fuzzy, once they get a large enough sample size of games your mmr will be more accurate

Hybris

algorithmic skill ratings will always be fuzzy, once they get a large enough sample size of games your mmr will be more accurate

Yeah I'm not worried. I hardly ever play Reinhardt anyway. Just trying to think of the edge cases. Lucio is another one. Properly timed speed boosts and ultimates are infinitely more important than amount healed, but you can't really quantify that. I'm sure there's plenty of similar examples.

Top Bottom