• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch competitive mode out today on PC, next week on consoles

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
The KOTH bug makes competitive a complete waste of time until it's fixed.

AdamT

I don't know what the gold symbol with a white background is next to my rank? I tried searching and found mixed answers.

patapuf

5-0 so far.

There's definitely a totally different attitude in competitive compared to quick match. Most go for the objective, more people, even if reluctantly, pick what's needed to win.

There's also been minimal salt/shit talking going on. But i'm sure that's going to change very quickly.

Don't worry once you hit lvl 58-60 you will get your shit kicked in. There are some ridiculous fucking groups out there.

I'll never get there. Every win only seems to bring my rank up a tiny bit, while a loss drops me down almost a whole rank. I'm down to 51 already. :/

Wish I could play this mode when it hits PS4 but all of my friends have bailed on the game already and this seems like a mode where playing with randoms is not a good idea lol

I lost 4 out of 4 matches yesterday because the enemy team skill wise was twice as good as ours, it's frustrating it felt no better then regular play

Wish I could play this mode when it hits PS4 but all of my friends have bailed on the game already and this seems like a mode where playing with randoms is not a good idea lol

Same. My friends list usually had 2-3 full to almost full groups early on, but now, hard to get into one this week. Played 3 matches last night solo, and quit. Im not great and dont mind losing, but all 3 matches were just awful. 2 on D where the team just waltzed the entire way without stopping, and 1 on O where my team couldnt get out of spawn (I was the only one that could, but hard to change the tide being the ONLY one). That one, had 2 Widows, 2 Hanzos and a offensive Torbjorn. No one changed. Very interested in competitive but will only play with a group. Lol

Feel free to add me - TheApatheticOne

saskuatch

do random pugs get put against groups? it seems like the teams I go against are a lot more organized, have mercy bastion reinhardt etc. Meanwhile my team has a widow and hanzo and torbjorn on offense....

DesuNe

do random pugs get put against groups? it seems like the teams I go against are a lot more organized, have mercy bastion reinhardt etc. Meanwhile my team has a widow and hanzo and torbjorn on offense....
On the first screen where it shows all the players it tells you who is grouped together along the sides of the screen. A line along a group of players denotes a group.

saskuatch

their match leaving penalties have made it worse, now we have people that sit AFK in the spawn moving their mouse every 30 seconds instead of someone quitting with the possibility of another joiner lol.

Bydobob

5-0 so far.

There's definitely a totally different attitude in competitive compared to quick match. Most go for the objective, more people, even if reluctantly, pick what's needed to win.

There's also been minimal salt/shit talking going on. But i'm sure that's going to change very quickly.

Probably because you have been winning. The bitching and whining has gone up another level in my experience, and more people are taking to the mic to do it too. The funny thing is, these self-appointed armchair generals appear blissfully ignorant that everyone on the team is roughly as good or bad as the other.

saskuatch

Probably because you have been winning. The bitching and whining has gone up another level in my experience, and more people are taking to the mic to do it too. The funny thing is, these self-appointed armchair generals appear blissfully ignorant that everyone on the team is roughly as good or bad as the other.

The irony is half the time you have 12 year old genjis or tracers telling people to go tanks or healer over mic lol

I was enjoying competitive until a match where this one ass started flaming us hard over voice chat. I can't remember the last time I encountered someone so angry/vulgar on voice in any game. We weren't even doing poorly, it was a very close game. I'll go back to quick play for a little while :p

aeolist

Banned
their match leaving penalties have made it worse, now we have people that sit AFK in the spawn moving their mouse every 30 seconds instead of someone quitting with the possibility of another joiner lol.

competitive games can't have anyone matched in after they start. if someone leaves they're the only ones who can fill that empty slot.

Yeah if they don't have the rewards in place already, what is the point? I don't have enough faith in the playerbase to expect them to randomly start playing the objective just because it's ranked. Could probably expect a lot more grief.

Bingo. My buddy is completely stoked about ranked play, and I keep asking him why when there aren't any tangible rewards other than some gun skins and an "exclusive" skin/logo that everyone will have in a couple weeks? Bragging rights, sure, but it's more of a casual shooter anyway so I'm not interested in gaining prestige by ranking up.

I was hoping for exclusive players skins, victory moves, voice lines etc and/or bonus currency for hitting certain milestones or gaining a certain amount of wins in ranked mode. I assume you'll still receive a loot box every time you rank up, but that's the same as quick play.

Can see the "better team composition" argument, but also the other team will have better players plus there will be added pressure of not wanting to let your team down then being grieved if you do.

I'll give it a try, but may switch back to quick play since I'm just looking to play a fun shooter with buddies.

Mupod

If they locked tons of cool stuff behind ranked mode that would suck even more. If I can't get a group together tonight or tomorrow I guess I'll get the 10 placement matches done and give up on the game for now. Ranked is unplayable solo.

TaterTots

Banned
I'm going back to quick play. Oddly enough it seems more balanced, match making wise. I believe I've lost the last 7 or more games I've played and I've dropped in rank dramatically. Every game was a complete stomping. They should fix it by putting people in groups with and against other players in groups. Randoms should play with randoms imo.

aeolist

Banned
I want mei on my team now because I'm so sick of losing.

Bring on the cheapest of the cheap!

mei is not that strong in competitive games unless the other team has no idea how to deal with her

also she doesn't do well against pharah who is really dominant in the meta right now

Cocaine_

Neo Member
If they locked tons of cool stuff behind ranked mode that would suck even more. If I can't get a group together tonight or tomorrow I guess I'll get the 10 placement matches done and give up on the game for now. Ranked is unplayable solo.

What are you at for ranked matched? I think I have 6 done now, when I'm off work maybe we can queue up and finish this up

Yeah, competitive is rough solo. If you don't go in with a zen frame of mind, you will suffer. People are crazy salty no matter the rank (I've been playing all solo in the upper 40s). I'm probably going to switch back to quick play soon. The funny thing is that everyone can see everyone's rank, so the guy who is bitching about how good he is and everyone else sucks has the same rank as you, so yeah....

Played 5 of my placement matches now. Won 4 lost 1. No toxicity really. I've had a good experience solo in quick play too though. Maybe I just play the game differently than a lot of people. There are only a couple characters that I'm not comfortable playing and I see a lot of people that play like one or two characters. Probably doesn't need to be said again, but maining is not how you play this game. Switching heroes to adapt is also super important. Just make sure to do it between ults. Don't want to waste those if you are almost charged up.

MrPanic

Yeah, solo competitive seems like a complete waste of time so far. Your rank seems to be based purely on W/L ratio so ranking up/down as a solo player almost feels like a coin flip for getting the good players on your team as this game is build to make solo carries nearly impossible. It also seems a lot slower to level in this mode, probably because of the longer matches which causes less postgame bonuses, so that means less loot boxes as well. I guess the only lure to keep playing it is the golden weapons, but as a solo player getting 300 wins just seems like a path of horror.

hollomat

Banned
I really like how they match up parties against other parties. I solo queue so it's nice being only matched against other solo queue players and not parties of 6.

4-1 so far.

I'm really hoping Blizzard reconsiders the gold reward system. Maybe make gold medals count towards it? Because 300 is insane if you only get 1 per win.

MUnited83

For you.

They don't need to lock "tons" of stuff, but they really should have some mid-tier weapon skins and other stuff in there for sure. Only having golden weapons that even the best of players can barely get in one season is ridiculous.

Bydobob

I'm still not sure why I should drop a whole rank for losing a closely fought match and gain about 1/5th for winning. It doesn't seem to matter how much you contribute as an individual. Is anyone actually going up whole ranks for winning?

Was doing Volskaya and all but one of the other players on the other team left! Felt bad for the guy, because he had no clue why they all dropped.

Gnomist

randomlee26 said:
Was doing Volskaya and all but one of the other players on the other team left! Felt bad for the guy, because he had no clue why they all dropped.

Yeah, I was on the receiving end of that during my placement games. One person left/disconnected/rage quit and then the other 4 bailed instead of making an effort in a close game. Very frustrating.

mxgt

Banned
Comp isn't even worth playing after placement due to the KOTH points bug. Can't believe it wasn't fixed from PTR

Therin

While on a pretty bad losing streak, we had a player on our team who just bitched constantly & mustve been like 8 years old because he posted how many medals he got after every single match. He kept getting matched with us even after we left, though, so it's like .. if you're so damn good, wouldn't you be ranking up & getting matched with better teams?

Comp isn't even worth playing after placement due to the KOTH points bug. Can't believe it wasn't fixed from PTR

Have to agree. This bug will need to get fixed before I dive into the mode. I don't necessarily care about my rank, but I don't want to unfairly lose rank points either.

I finished my qualifying matches and will just hold off on playing anymore for the time being.

Dartastic

competitive games can't have anyone matched in after they start. if someone leaves they're the only ones who can fill that empty slot.
Yeah. It's frustrating because once that happens you're at a competitive disadvantage and if you leave, you have to take the L. I'm 1-2 so far. One of those L's is due to me quitting because literally half the team left. :(

Top Bottom