• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch competitive mode out today on PC, next week on consoles

TaterTots

Banned
1-3...do they evaluate your skills or just wins? This is bullshit. I'm the only pushing the payload/healing/making fucking plays.

Ughhh

I'm pretty sure it's wins during placement. I went from a 53 to hovering around a 44-45, but I play with randoms. I especially tend to have my shit pushed in playing against groups.

Swig_

Trying to decide if I should even bother with ranked. I play Dota2 and ranked is a headache, especially when you get awful teams and go on a losing streak. I almost think that just staying in Quick Play will be nice and less stressful.

Unless there are some perks that you otherwise can't get from non-ranked.

Dreavus

Trying to decide if I should even bother with ranked. I play Dota2 and ranked is a headache, especially when you get awful teams and go on a losing streak. I almost think that just staying in Quick Play will be nice and less stressful.

Unless there are some perks that you otherwise can't get from non-ranked.

I think right now its pretty much just the unlockable golden weapons. Need competitive points for those.

Cornbread78

Sorry if this is a redundant question, but my buddy in the office is harassing me about it.

Does anyone have any kind of firm release date for the competitive play on PS4?

Bluth54

Whelp I imagine this is where that community goes full MOBA in their attitudes.

TF2 probably remains the chilliest fps game.
TF2 is going to get 6v6 competitive matchmaking in the next major update that's coming soon, expect plenty of toxic players in the matchmaking.

Murdoch

Sorry if this is a redundant question, but my buddy in the office is harassing me about it.

Does anyone have any kind of firm release date for the competitive play on PS4?

No idea but I'd also love to know. I just want the updated control options! Aiming diagonally is borderline impossible for me on a personal level.

Won

Gave this thing a go. First game a leaver, second game 2 players didn't even pick a character, third game another leaver. What joyous experience.

fhqwhgads

TF2 is going to get 6v6 competitive matchmaking in the next major update that's coming soon, expect plenty of toxic players in the matchmaking.
Even worse considering tf2's solid meta. People are gonna get kicked from ganes just for picking heavy/spy/engineer

adversarial

I've accumulated 30+ hours on Pharah and exactly 0 on others. I think I'm going to try to main one of each category. Pharah, Hanzo or Widow, Roadhog or Zarya, Mercy.

If anyone wants to play: Thugonomics#11898

The only other competitive FPS I played was CS 1.6 when I was a teenager, and Overwatch is the most fun I have had in years.

Grief.exe

Here's the professional competitive tier list for anyone looking to prioritize learning the best heroes.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I've accumulated 30+ hours on Pharah and exactly 0 on others. I think I'm going to try to main one of each category. Pharah, Hanzo or Widow, Roadhog or Zarya, Mercy.

If anyone wants to play: Thugonomics#11898

The only other competitive FPS I played was CS 1.6 when I was a teenager, and Overwatch is the most fun I have had in years.

No offence but I absolutely hate getting put with a team mate that only plays one hero, there's just no way you can fully understand what counters what or how a hero feels or what its strengths and limitations are without playing them. The first thing I did was play every hero once, figured out who I liked and played them some more, then I went out of my way to play my least played heroes and I'm now a better player for it. Being able to play every roll well is absolutely vital, having at least one in every category is a must, preferably 2 or more so you don't counter yourself, for example what do you do as a Pharah "main" if the other team goes double Soldier? If they have any idea how to play you're now a hindrance to the team.

It seems like you want to branch out though which is good, just start by filling the roll the team needs, going through all the heroes slowly, eventually you'll find ones you're best with and enjoy the most and as long as you have a varied stable you'll always be an asset.

adversarial

No offence but I absolutely hate getting put with a team mate that only plays one hero, there's just no way you can fully understand what counters what or how a hero feels or what its strengths and limitations are without playing them. The first thing I did was play every hero once, figured out who I liked and played them some more, then I went out of my way to play my least played heroes and I'm now a better player for it. Being able to play every roll well is absolutely vital, having at least one in every category is a must, preferably 2 or more so you don't counter yourself, for example what do you do as a Pharah "main" if the other team goes double Soldier? If they have any idea how to play you're now a hindrance to the team.

It seems like you want to branch out though which is good, just start by filling the roll the team needs, going through all the heroes slowly, eventually you'll find ones you're best with and enjoy the most and as long as you have a varied stable you'll always be an asset.

It hasn't been an issue yet, as I play with a group of 6 and we haven't been taking it too seriously, just getting accustomed to the game and its mechanics. I haven't run into a situation where I'm not top fragging and damage and applying pressure as Pharah does. I have been really lucky to play teams that don't ever seem to look up, haha, but I can see that with how the game is set up (Counter picking is important) how this would be an issue in competitive play, which is why I've started researching the other characters and will be learning them next time I log on. I think I'll start with Zarya.

Finished placement matches last night, 7-3, ranked 61. For a brief shining moment I was #2089 on the US leaderboards (on masteroverwatch at least). Already dropped to 2500 but I choose to still feel awesome about it, lol.

Roubjon

Who is complaining about hero stacking? If everyone is a single hero they have such a disadvantage and shouldn't be winning.

Played most of my placement matches solo on Xbox One. It honestly felt the same as quickplay with regards to other players. No mics, odd hero picks, refusing to change heroes when something is not working. I think I won 2 or 3 of the 10. Ended up 43. The reality is, it shouldn't be some epic goal to win them all and get placed higher. Once you're placed, if you're lower, you'll end up winning more and moving that skill rank up.

It takes a long time for those matches though. KotH style maps like Nepal and Ilios, are best out of 5 rounds.

Overall, I feel like I'll play Competitive exclusively because it does feel the same and I feel like the skill rank gives you an entire new layer to playing and ranking. Plus there's that gold gun carrot now.

Zocano

Who is complaining about hero stacking? If everyone is a single hero they have such a disadvantage and shouldn't be winning.

It's not about 6 of a hero. It's about trying to break past 3 roadhogs or double/triple Winstons.

It's maddening to try and fight against.

Played most of my placement matches solo on Xbox One. It honestly felt the same as quickplay with regards to other players. No mics, odd hero picks, refusing to change heroes when something is not working. I think I won 2 or 3 of the 10. Ended up 43. The reality is, it shouldn't be some epic goal to win them all and get placed higher. Once you're placed, if you're lower, you'll end up winning more and moving that skill rank up.

It takes a long time for those matches though. KotH style maps like Nepal and Ilios, are best out of 5 rounds.

Overall, I feel like I'll play Competitive exclusively because it does feel the same and I feel like the skill rank gives you an entire new layer to playing and ranking. Plus there's that gold gun carrot now.

So competitive is up for X1, but not PS4?

Braag

RIght, I did the first 10 matches, 6 wins 4 losses. I think I'm gonna enjoy this game more in quick play as in competitive mode you keep seeing the same handful of heroes all the time :/
But it's a nice option if I want something more serious.

Yeef

It's not about 6 of a hero. It's about trying to break past 3 roadhogs or double/triple Winstons.

It's maddening to try and fight against.
Roadhog is very good against Winston in my experience. Reaper is also really good against Roadhog. It's been my experience that the hero-stacking team tends to either lose or stop stacking.

Zocano

Roadhog is very good against Winston in my experience. Reaper is also really good against Roadhog. It's been my experience that the hero-stacking team tends to either lose or stop stacking.

Yah but one reaper will just die too fast and multiple reapers makes your team to flimsy.

Dragoon Roll

Neo Member
I'm sure people have addressed this in the thread, but these are a few of my complaints with competitive so far:

If people leave mid match, in most cases, you basically lose. The game still takes rank from you. Despite the fact that it isn't your fault your teammates left.

In assault and its variants after a match in the case of a tie, a coin is flipped to decide which team will attack and which will defend. In a normal assault the attacking team has around 3+ minutes to attack, during the coin flip you have 1:40, which I feel is a bit unbalanced.

Personally, my first 3 matches I had my teammates leave so I was already down 0-3 for placement, and I had to wait 3 rounds in some cases just so I could at least get a rank for a loot box.

So far it's okay, but I think competitive still needs some work, hopefully sooner rather than later, as right now it's pretty disheartening.

Zomba13

So just did my first placement match, our team won, 3-0 and the instant it was over the other team just exploded in vile hate towards each other blaming each other for the loss. So far competitive is 100% exactly as I expected.

erale

Wow competitive mode sucks big time. Finally got ranked, played my first game ranked, then got kicked because of Battle.net. Reconnected and we still won. Got maybe a 10% progress to the next rank.

Then we played another match, two people left after about one minute and it was 6 v 4 for the rest of the match. Of course we lost and I lost about 50% of my rank.

Seriously this is the worst ranking mechanism ever. Getting punished for some morons leaving the team.

Is there even some punishment for leaving the game?

Gator86

The game desperately needs better tools to reward players who play the right way. Like if you're the only healer on the team you should get a XP boost or extra XP for objective kills. I honestly don't know at this point. I think I just hate this fucking playerbase. The 5 attacker team who somehow still can't get a kill, the perpetual door strafers, ranged characters who refuse to step foot near the objective even in sudden death, etc. I haven't even finished all my placement matches and I'm already broken.

Zabka

Sudden Death in competitive is kinda awful. Just had a game where neither team scored. Since we got Attack on the coin flip we got the loss.

Had Ranked lose track of a game. I won a game just a bit ago, and it "Ranked Up" to the same rank I got this morning. That sucks.

By the time you get to the payload on some maps and realize they're stacking, and that it's a problem, you sometimes can't get back to spawn and back fast enough to switch to counters. That's assuming they're still stacking the same ones by the time you get there.

dorkkaos

Man, sometimes terrible teammates just kill me and make me want to scream. I'm hovering around rank 51 <,< Got as low as 49 and as high as 54.

If anyone wants to play with me, i'm on PC North America. Blackkaos#1930

I usually use soldier or reaper, but can use other heroes as well, just not as good, I feel. Need more practice :(

Team carrying in ranked Overwatch is one of the most aggravating things I've experienced in competitive gaming recently. Averaging 3-4 gold medals per game and yet just took 3 losses in a row.

There are so many people that are just baaaaad at this game when playing with randos

Top Bottom