• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch competitive mode out today on PC, next week on consoles

Qwyjibo

I'm not surprised to see Lucio that high. He's so fun to play and has versatility that seems so important to teams. I always tell myself that I'm gonna try out some new characters but still end up playing Lucio mostly.

Got ranked 58,

8 wins
2 loses
In placement.

Well, I was honestly expecting higher. That's a shame.

Edit: This was playing solo, no party

Defuser

People who are still complaining about being grouped with horrible players in ranked might wanna start getting used to the fact that they aren't as good as they think they are.
When you get terrible players who use hanzo to snipe for every mode it is as good as a 5 v 6 match.

MUnited83

For you.
People who are still complaining about being grouped with horrible players in ranked might wanna start getting used to the fact that they aren't as good as they think they are.

Or matchmaking is not working nearly as as good as you think it is.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I thought placement matches with friends would give me an advantage. I was wrong. Not only are they all terrible, 2 out of my 4 first games I got defaulted losses because people in my stack randomly DC'd and/or crashed.

Also it's real nice when your stack of people with in game levels ranging from 30-60 get matched up with a stack of players that are level 130-150. At least it was a fast loss.

jabuseika

61th not bad.

I got destroyed in the last game of placement.

Solo Q can be great or terrible.

I think I got paired against a premade, cause they steam rolled us in less than a minute, then the premade of 3 on my side left for the second half.

Got ranked 58,

8 wins
2 loses
In placement.

Well, I was honestly expecting higher. That's a shame.

Edit: This was playing solo, no party

its just math. however many of your 10 placement games you win + 50 = starting rank

really tho wouldnt surprise me if that was legit the extent of blizzards calculations

Hybris

its just math. however many of your 10 placement games you win + 50 = starting rank

really tho wouldnt surprise me if that was legit the extent of blizzards calculations

Except it's not like that. Already been shown that quick play mmr played the biggest factor in your placements.

Interestingly enough, it seems that the quality of all players, even those in Quick Play, has generally gone up since the update. The player base feels more educated as a whole...

...Or maybe it's just me?

A few weeks after launch, a lot of the bad players either lose interest from frustration of losing all the time or get better as they get more experienced. It happens with pretty much all competitive games, the first month or so you'll see a much wider range of player skill than at any other point in the game's life.

MUnited83

For you.
Then it worked, your top 11% which is pretty close.

Whatever makes you feel better.

Just facts, matchmaking has been crappy since release.

Unless you believe that somehow being paired up with people that have no concept of team or playing the objective is somehow matchmaking working well. Or matching those shitty teams with teams that curb stomp them. I mean, it's literally all the proof you need. If it was working properly, that wouldn't happen and matches would be equilibrated.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I got stomped in my placements when I was in a large group, and kicked ass in duo queuing. Fighting really coordinated teams was rough.

Ended up 2 and 8 in placements with Rank 38. Not bad. About what I expected. I look forward to ranking up from here.

finalflame

Gold Member
I got stomped in my placements when I was in a large group, and kicked ass in duo queuing. Fighting really coordinated teams was rough.

Ended up 2 and 8 in placements with Rank 38. Not bad. About what I expected. I look forward to ranking up from here.

Same situation. Got stomped in my placement matches and placed 37.

Getting out of the 30s in solo queue is fucking hell, as nobody wants to even remotely try to play the meta and you are often paired against teams that do, for some fucking reason. I've gone tons of games without proper support, no decent damage, or any kind of cooperation despite begging people to coordinate and switching myself to tank/support.

It fucking blows. This game really needs to be played with a coordinated group of people.

Zomba13

Did my matches, 59. Won 7 lost 3.

Did the last 8 with a super kick ass team formed of a friend and three randoms we met in a quick play that were already in a group. We did so good lost a fairly close game, had someone AFK at the start of a match (forcing a close) and then got slaughtered in the next two matches on Dorado and Kings Row. If we played the game with the AFK leaver I'm sure we would have won. Last game was really fun as we ended up having someone on our team quit halfway through our attack run but we still managed to beat the other full team.

Plenty of salt and toxic behaviour including some I found super funny where a guy was berating a team member (both the enemy team) and I said "be nice" and he went on a whole rant how it wasn't my business etc even though he was using match chat and after I blind mortared him with Zarya and did a quick ";)" he went on a rant about "bad manners" after seconds ago he was swearing at me.

Anyway, I think I like the structure of a comp match better (both sides play, whoever gets furthest or has the better time wins) but the community/toxicity will kill me unless I'm in a full or near full team (like I did my back 8 placement matches).

eloxx

Interestingly enough, it seems that the quality of all players, even those in Quick Play, has generally gone up since the update. The player base feels more educated as a whole...

Also the recent console patch has a major fix with the deadzone update. The aiming is so much better. I did so bad with McCree pre-patch and now I hit alot of shots.

HiiiLife

Still not a fan of some of the maps to attack and defend. Anubis point B is just silly to attack.

Much rather KOTH matches or payloads if it came down to it.

Absolutely true. Everyone I played with in competitive think they're amazing and get angry at their team when in reality they were as average as the rest of us.

Biltmore

Banned
Just facts, matchmaking has been crappy since release.

Unless you believe that somehow being paired up with people that have no concept of team or playing the objective is somehow matchmaking working well. Or matching those shitty teams with teams that curb stomp them. I mean, it's literally all the proof you need. If it was working properly, that wouldn't happen and matches would be equilibrated.

First off nothing you said is a fact. Second, I don't think you understand how competitive games work. Matches will never be "equilibrated" because that's not how this stuff works. The Braves curbstomped the Marlins 9-1 does that mean they are the far superior team? Blowouts happen all the time in competitive gaming. Further, anything you claim is happening to you is happening to everyone else, unless you think the game is out to get you.

And again, if you're being matched with scrubs it's because you're probably not very good and you'd be better served working on your own game than complaining about your teammates. People who deserve higher rank are either already there or working their way up, if you aren't one of those people you're right where you belong or you haven't played enough to let the system do its job.

I get it, no one likes finding out they aren't as good as they thought they are, but you guys can't hide behind the shitty teammates excuse anymore.

konjak

Maybe it has something to do with personal performances ? I don't know how this whole thing work, I'm just guessing

Definitely personal performance, I also had 6-4 and got 53. And when you win/lose a competitive game after that the bar you win/lose by DOES change, and it has to be based on some sort of performance.

screenshot_16-07-03_1veu0y.jpg

Played 20 games in competetive mode. 3 wins.

Fuck solo queue.

Biltmore

Banned
Definitely personal performance, I also had 6-4 and got 53. And when you win/lose a competitive game after that the bar you win/lose by DOES change, and it has to be based on some sort of performance.

There is also the fact that your quick play MMR is the jumping off point for where your qualification matches start so while your re order in those first ten games matters it's in no way comparable to anyone else.

Edit: For example, Surefour just did his qualifying on a second account, went 8-2, and ended up at 78.

patapuf

I'd say that's a side effect of the game being out a month now, the player base is only going to get better.

Hyun Sai

First off nothing you said is a fact. Second, I don't think you understand how competitive games work. Matches will never be "equilibrated" because that's not how this stuff works. The Braves curbstomped the Marlins 9-1 does that mean they are the far superior team? Blowouts happen all the time in competitive gaming. Further, anything you claim is happening to you is happening to everyone else, unless you think the game is out to get you.

And again, if you're being matched with scrubs it's because you're probably not very good and you'd be better served working on your own game than complaining about your teammates. People who deserve higher rank are either already there or working their way up, if you aren't one of those people you're right where you belong or you haven't played enough to let the system do its job.

I get it, no one likes finding out they aren't as good as they thought they are, but you guys can't hide behind the shitty teammates excuse anymore.

that's a lot of words and I hear you, but in the end they just amount to excuses that will slow your own improvement. If you're in the 35-40 range and are having a hard time improving, there are a lot of things you need to get better at. If there's one thing I know after playing MOBAS competitively for 5 years, it's that most people aren't as good as they think they are. You're not as good as you think you are either. You're not a 60 rank player trapped in the stupid penitentiary of 30 rank players and unable to escape or convince the warden to let you out for good behavior. You're a 30-something player that will get better over time if (s)he puts the work in to get good.

Keep your eyes on the prize and man up. Moonmoon (the popular streamer that plays with popular streamer Seagull a lot) lost 9 ranks today and he didn't blame anyone along the way. Learn the lesson.

Good posts.

Honestly I'm a bit disappointed by what I see in those Overwatch threads and OT, but to be honest I'm more used to Fighting games communities where we are less prone to blame partners for our losses (obviously).

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

I started on 58 with 6 wins 4 losses, so no. Just no.

Also this underdog system is brutal I went down like 3 ranks in just a few hours with a winrate of about 45%. Which I know I should have deranked for but it's simply impossible for me to rank up again and a loss sets you back so far.

I thought placement matches with friends would give me an advantage. I was wrong. Not only are they all terrible, 2 out of my 4 first games I got defaulted losses because people in my stack randomly DC'd and/or crashed.

Also it's real nice when your stack of people with in game levels ranging from 30-60 get matched up with a stack of players that are level 130-150. At least it was a fast loss.

My friends aren't that great. Placed 47. Solo Q'd to 54. Grouped up and now back down to 47. Still fun though.

I went 8 losses in a row then won my last 2. Placed 45. Seems ok compared to what my friends all done and placed too. I hate the lack of progress because of opposition quitters. Why do I get a penalty? It's so stupid.

The matchmaking in competetive completly sucks. How is it possible that i get teamed up again and again with idiots that are lvl 60+ that dont know how to play this game?

zoukka

The matchmaking in competetive completly sucks. How is it possible that i get teamed up again and again with idiots that are lvl 60+ that dont know how to play this game?

The level doesn't really tell anything about a player. You can encounter people who have put 100 hours to hanzo and never even tried healers or tanks. They really need to start incentivice or penalize the picks.

Top Bottom