• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch competitive mode out today on PC, next week on consoles

MaxiLive

Wut, I placed Rank 60 and I'm terrible at the game. I would expect to be in the top 60% of players...

So IS Rank 55 and above seemingly "good"?

p3n

What I like about "competitive" mode is most people are actually playing the game together instead of aimlessly running around trying to get some kills like it is team deathmatch. That said, I don't get how anyone can take the attached ranking system seriously. Playing only solo I lost 11 ranks with a winrate of over 60%. I can see why some people are frustrated and toxic when losing because losing up to 10x more XP than you can gain seems a bit broken. And it's not that there is much difference in player skill between the low 60s and low 50s. On the contrary, I've seen MUCH better players in the low 50s than at 60.

Blizzard put a lot of effort into making the game as fun as possible even when losing (no traditional scoreboard etc.) and then they royally fucked up the ranked mode. The mostly positive climate in the community during beta and the early release days was refreshing. Ranked mode just murdered it. The amount of insults and racial slurs I've seen in chat is staggering. Right now the climate makes me want to turn off voice and even chat. That is truly a great success for a team based game, right?

trugs26

Tie breaker sucks. They should either:
1. Remove it altogether, call it a draw.
2. Determine the winner based on who got the payload to the goal quicker.
3. Play two more rounds of attack/defend, and whoever got the payload further wins. If both teams get the payload to the end, then fall back to 1 or 2.

Note: I've only played competitive mode with the payload match type.

It sucks that it does a coin toss, puts you on either attack or defense, and it ends there. Because most maps have a bias to one or the other.

Tie breaker sucks. They should either:
1. Remove it altogether, call it a draw.
2. Determine the winner based on who got the payload to the goal quicker.
3. Play two more rounds of attack/defend, and whoever got the payload further wins. If both teams get the payload to the end, then fall back to 1 or 2.

Note: I've only played competitive mode with the payload match type.

It sucks that it does a coin toss, puts you on either attack or defense, and it ends there. Because most maps have a bias to one or the other.

Yes absolutely they should go with #2

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Stopwatch is all we need, I definitely don't want to play 2 more rounds as competitive games can get very long already.

konjak

My lord, does comeback maybe factor into the rank boost bar size you get after a match? Because we got slaughtered first round, just made it on second and then in sudden we were defense, and won. I've never seen a rank up bar as big or bigger than the loss bar before.

I do agree with some people that the introduction of this mode has kind of made people angrier and less friendly. Probably a lot to do with the massive punish in ranked from a loss, and it also feeling vague as to why the bar is whatever size. And it also changed the attitude of play in Quick Play, as it seems more haphazard than it was becoming before this mode was introduced. Just my feelings though.

Wow, competitive mode is probably the least fun I've had playing Overwatch so far. The ranking system is busted, especially for support characters and I play Mercy often. Coin flip for tiebreaker is really rough. And the community is already mad toxic, never seen as much hate in the game as I saw in my placement matches and after. No thanks, quick play for me.

Biltmore

Banned
Wut, I placed Rank 60 and I'm terrible at the game. I would expect to be in the top 60% of players...

So IS Rank 55 and above seemingly "good"?

Either you aren't as bad as you think or you will be brought down to earth in short order. Either way 60 isn't good, it's excellent. It puts you in the top 7% of players.

What I like about "competitive" mode is most people are actually playing the game together instead of aimlessly running around trying to get some kills like it is team deathmatch. That said, I don't get how anyone can take the attached ranking system seriously. Playing only solo I lost 11 ranks with a winrate of over 60%. I can see why some people are frustrated and toxic when losing because losing up to 10x more XP than you can gain seems a bit broken. And it's not that there is much difference in player skill between the low 60s and low 50s. On the contrary, I've seen MUCH better players in the low 50s than at 60.

Blizzard put a lot of effort into making the game as fun as possible even when losing (no traditional scoreboard etc.) and then they royally fucked up the ranked mode. The mostly positive climate in the community during beta and the early release days was refreshing. Ranked mode just murdered it. The amount of insults and racial slurs I've seen in chat is staggering. Right now the climate makes me want to turn off voice and even chat. That is truly a great success for a team based game, right?

Your win rate is irrelevant if you are losing to teams you are supposed to beat. And if players are better at 50 than 60 you wouldn't have lost 11 ranks...lol. Any "better" players you happened to see in the 50's are people working their way up the ladder, not because the average lower level player is better.

Ranked mode didn't "murder" anything, a bunch of people who think they are better than they are and are pissed off that it's not true are what kills the community in ranked mode, just like every other competitive ranked mode in the history of gaming. The ONLY way that Blizzard can make ranked less toxic is go to back to the progress bar so every special snowflake feels like they are accomplishing something rather than being told the truth about their skill as it is currently.

Also, why does everyone act like that things like XP loss, disconnects, random bad teammates only happen to them? There are plenty of people out there dealing with all of the same things that people keep blaming for their poor performance and yet they still manage to rank up. Funny how that works.

Zemm

Playing only solo I lost 11 ranks with a winrate of over 60%.

Welcome to the club. I have a positive win/loss ratio and also lost a rank. Losing 11 is crazy though, wtf? I lost mine because people quit when they know they're going to lose and when that happens you get like 1/10th the XP you should do. Thanks Blizzard.

m4st4

Got ranked 60 on PS4... Dropped to 57 today.

Playing 3:0 on Route 66, then 3:3 (both clutches on final point) for half an hour, just to get that attack coin flip on sudden death and loose... not to mention not getting any legendaries for twenty levels now... damn, I'm gonna need a break.

Well, started at 50, got pulled down as low as 45. Got back to 48.

I am not enjoying this as much as I was.

As a solo player, I might get back to quick play. What am I getting out of this, except for rage? Nothing. A zero to none chance for a gold Symmetra gun maybe in two months time. More skins/icons/sprays/whatever would be appreciated.

kiguel182

It's too bad the nerfs destroyed absolutely everything McCree was good at. He's not even that good at killing squishy targets anymore.

I couldn't even kill a Junkrat at point blank with the usual stun + shoot combo. The nerf was too much.

Also, hearing the overall reception to competitive play is sad. I only played one match so far but already got it with people quitting a bunch.

m4st4

Wait, 60 is top 7%? Holy shit. Of course I had to drop today, not significantly but still. Had a pretty cool 20 kill streak with Sym though, plus I learned how to play Lucio on Attack. The length of these matches might kill the competitive for me, no matter how damn good your team is, everything can change and then there's sudden death which is the worst. How can you capture the point in two minutes?

Nioret

I honestly think the placement initial ratings are too generous. Tired of seeing all these level 50's that don't know basic team composition or voice chat communication skills.

Just wait until the dust settles, people stop being carried, and the truly skilled will stay 50+.

I honestly think the placement initial ratings are too generous. Tired of seeing all these level 50's that don't know basic team composition or voice chat communication skills.

Just wait until the dust settles, people stop being carried, and the truly skilled will stay 50+.

I'm happy to say I've run in to very, very few people who were poor communicators.

Only memorable bad experience was my team flaming a guy for picking Torbjorn on offense on Hanamura. We won the game anyway after I calmed the natives down.

m4st4

Well I'd like to voice chat but my PS 'Gold' are broken... again. That's my second pair of those shitty headset excuses. Plus you never know what sort of dumbass is on the other side of the line, I can only take that punishment for Destiny raids.

I play solo and I know how to react when things get rough... it's a shame that most people don't and just stick to whatever character. Respect to OP Hanzos with 35 eliminations or whatever, but those are rare.

I doubt that. Yesterday I was on a Nepal map and everyone was like
"You play Bastion? WTF?"
"You cant even play Overwatch. How come you are on our level."
"WTF? Bastion???? Noob!"

Strangely I captured the point all by myself and got the gold medal for most kills and objective...

Only memorable bad experience was my team flaming a guy for picking Torbjorn on offense on Hanamura. We won the game anyway after I calmed the natives down.

Torbjörn isnt really that bad on offense. We had him on the London map and it was great, because he knew where to put his turrets and protected the payload very well.

Nioret

I doubt that. Yesterday I was on a Nepal map and everyone was like
"You play Bastion? WTF?"
"You cant even play Overwatch. How come you are on our level."
"WTF? Bastion???? Noob!"

Strangely I captured the point all by myself and got the gold medal for most kills and objective...

Torbjörn isnt really that bad on offense. We had him on the London map and it was great, because he knew where to put his turrets and protected the payload very well.

This is what I mean though, no one knows the situations that situational characters are good at. Try picking Zenyatta or Bastion, like ever. Prepare to educate your whole team on meta.

he's almost always good on offensive payload maps. on capture point maps on offense? nope. but we carried his ass. unfortunately I think it reinforced that it was a good pick which it was not.

Also, I don't know if I'm going to realistically get 300 wins. I hope there will be another way to earn points towards a gold weapon or two. That's going to be at least 500 matches and ranked matches are damn near twice as long as normals in some cases.

Black Hat

New patch on PS4 has a 30fps hero select screen now, sometimes dodgy killcam and stats stop recording on certain maps at times.

Hope we get these fixed and the Torb nerf quickly!

Biltmore

Banned
Also, I don't know if I'm going to realistically get 300 wins. I hope there will be another way to earn points towards a gold weapon or two. That's going to be at least 500 matches and ranked matches are damn near twice as long as normals in some cases.

You get a lump sum of points at the end of each season depending on where you are ranked, so between that and your win total you should be able to score a weapon.

MUnited83

For you.
First off nothing you said is a fact. Second, I don't think you understand how competitive games work. Matches will never be "equilibrated" because that's not how this stuff works. The Braves curbstomped the Marlins 9-1 does that mean they are the far superior team? Blowouts happen all the time in competitive gaming. Further, anything you claim is happening to you is happening to everyone else, unless you think the game is out to get you.

And again, if you're being matched with scrubs it's because you're probably not very good and you'd be better served working on your own game than complaining about your teammates. People who deserve higher rank are either already there or working their way up, if you aren't one of those people you're right where you belong or you haven't played enough to let the system do its job.

I get it, no one likes finding out they aren't as good as they thought they are, but you guys can't hide behind the shitty teammates excuse anymore.

I know perfectly well how competitive games work, and no, I shouldn't be getting paired up with people that literally don't know how to play.
The matchmaking is bad; deal with it.

You do know that the vast majority of higher ranks are playing with their groups, right? They will never have the issue of crappy matchmaking pairing them with shitty teammates to begin with.

But Biltmore told me that it's working as intended! You just have to "get better"!

TaterTots

Banned
I know perfectly well how competitive games work, and no, I shouldn't be getting paired up with people that literally don't know how to play.

You do know that the vast majority of higher ranks are playing with their groups, right? They will never have the issue of crappy matchmaking pairing them with shitty teammates to begin with.

But Biltmore told me that it's working as intended! You just have to "get better"!

Pretty much. I've come to discover most high ranking teams are players in a group. I quickly fell due to poor matchmaking. I'm frequently on teams with Rein, Roadhog, Hanzo, Widowmaker, Lucio, and Mercy. I don't know why this is a strat, but it needs to stop now.

Pretty much. I've come to discover most high ranking teams are players in a group. I quickly fell due to poor matchmaking. I'm frequently on teams with Rein, Reaper, Roadhog, Hanzo, Widowmaker, Lucio, and Mercy. I don't know why this is a strat, but it needs to stop now.

Double Tank and Double Support is amazingly good, you guys just aren't executing as well as the other team.

saskuatch

well I got put in as 40 after my ranking matches, I have slowly worked my way up to 48 now, been a tough slog. It is entirely luck based, if your team are retards or not. Also sometimes I get like 10 matches in a row on an "underdog" team.

Got ranked 60 on PS4... Dropped to 57 today.

Playing 3:0 on Route 66, then 3:3 (both clutches on final point) for half an hour, just to get that attack coin flip on sudden death and loose... not to mention not getting any legendaries for twenty levels now... damn, I'm gonna need a break.

As a solo player, I might get back to quick play. What am I getting out of this, except for rage? Nothing. A zero to none chance for a gold Symmetra gun maybe in two months time. More skins/icons/sprays/whatever would be appreciated.

Try with GAF maybe? It's tolerable with GAF because we can rage together. I have always been a solo player, until this game.

kiguel182

Had a ranked placement match were the other team all left but one person. Great stuff.

When ranked is competitive is much fun that regular casual play but it can be infuriating.

Also, can't you turn off chat on PC? I play on PS4 and can't imagine being constantly insulting when just trying to have fun.

OneUh8

While there is lots of room for improvement in how competitive mode is handled, I was enjoying it last night. The matches are super intense. There is just that extra layer of importance that makes everything much more urgent.

saskuatch

the problem seems to be that in the beginning everyone was ranked randomly because the placement match teams were basically random. But as the better players separate out from the garbage like me. The rank based teams should be more evenly matched....

Biltmore

Banned

You know how competitive games work and yet you complain about things that happen in every competitive game ever invented?

The "vast majority" of higher ranks may or may not be playing with groups, but you can look through this thread and any other thread on any forum that discusses this game and see a ton of people who are at really high ranks playing strictly through solo queue, which means they've managed to deal with all the things you think are just happening to you and still manage to rank decently.
As for getting paired with shitty teammates, Surefour managed to make a second account playing completely solo and ended up at 78 at the end of qualifying, his team account is an 82, looks like it worked fine for him.

And here's the thing about you and your complaints about getting teamed with shitty players. Unless you think the game is out to get you, and only you, getting teamed with shitty players would be happening to everyone. So even IF that were the case, the fact that you are so much better than all of these pleabs would make your team better than the other team...and yet you aren't. How does that work, exactly?
But, no, we get it, Blizzard has flagged your account so that you get the worst players on your team while simultaneously putting pro level players on the other team so that you can't rank up. That's far more likely than the idea that you might not be as good as you think you are or at the very least the people you are playing with aren't nearly as bad.

Yeah, I'm totally the one who should "deal with it".

labx

Banned
Wow, competitive mode is probably the least fun I've had playing Overwatch so far. The ranking system is busted, especially for support characters and I play Mercy often. Coin flip for tiebreaker is really rough. And the community is already mad toxic, never seen as much hate in the game as I saw in my placement matches and after. No thanks, quick play for me.

This x 100 times.

WTF happen to the fun guys? I have the ps4 version and the hate is REAL. Isn't fun anymore some guy that thinks he is the boss because he is super in CoD, bossing everybody because again he is good at CoD. What a nightmare. And surprise the man sucked because everyone else sucked, because this is not CoD.

I though that competitive mode was a good thing because it would make people on the ps4 communicate and play the game the way is meant to be played (objectives first, run away from your party and killing solo, later), but I was wrong is the same thing with people shouting or people silent numb.

For the pc community: the Mic is used often or the people is silent too.?

fhqwhgads

Three of my games so far has been turret stacking (Double or Triple Torbjorn with a bastion/symmetra) that's either a case of one team not knowing how to deal with turrets or the other team utterly creaming the turret stackers (Had one game where they won Anubis in just over two minutes with Reinhardt/Lucio/Double Pharra/Double Junkrat) Hoping this doesn't become too common place, those turret teams aren't exactly helpful to supports.

dan2026

So I got kicked from battle net during one of my placement matches and it just kept giving errors.

Now I see that it's counted as a loss. That doesn't seem fair.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
This x 100 times.

WTF happen to the fun guys? I have the ps4 version and the hate is REAL. Isn't fun anymore some guy that thinks he is the boss because he is super in CoD, bossing everybody because again he is good at CoD. What a nightmare. And surprise the man sucked because everyone else sucked, because this is not CoD.

I though that competitive mode was a good thing because it would make people on the ps4 communicate and play the game the way is meant to be played (objectives first, run away from your party and killing solo, later), but I was wrong is the same thing with people shouting or people silent numb.

For the pc community: the Mic is used often or the people is silent too.?

On PC? I often get 2-3 people speaking when I play solo.

Also the extreme hostility in the community right now stems from it being a team game so a win or loss doesn't really refelct your skill and that losses are so extremly punishing in this system where you can lose a whole rank for a loss while a win will net you a 1/5th of a rankup. This means eveyrthing is on the line and you alone can't make much of a difference, your rank is compeltly in someone elses hands.

Then the ragequitting that makes both teams end up getting no XP if they win and that playing support puts you in a giant rank disadvantage because of how much you get of a win is calulated in a way that favors damage dealers.

This comp sysetm is fucked and will continue to be fucked at least until fall but realistically it won't be good until winter or spring season.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Why? Because the imminent overhaul?

Stuff won't be fixed until this season is over and when they get the feedback from fall they won't patch that until winter and so forth.

I do not expect Blizzard to get this right on their first try and probably not on their second try either.

EDIT: Well beta comp was their first try and this is their second try so I guess that's already obvious so I won't expect them to get it right their 3rd or even 4th time even.

Won

The irony here is of course that the design philosophies that are responsible for "no scoreboard" are also the reason why this system sucks so much. Instead of giving people a simple and straightforward mmr system, we instead have to suffer through the endless chase for player happiness and player retention rates. The thing that actually matters gets hidden and obfuscated behind "bings", "zoommms", levels and weird progress bars. Of course everyone is just irritated and confused.

I expect a lot of revamps in the future, because as for now the current system feels like it is at odds with itself.

Sullichin

Double Tank and Double Support is amazingly good, you guys just aren't executing as well as the other team.

Lucio and Mercy is a great combo to have on your team. It seems to be a popular comp in competitive. They're my two favorite characters to play so I'm not complaining

labx

Banned
The irony here is of course that the design philosophies that are responsible for "no scoreboard" are also the reason why this system sucks so much. Instead of giving people a simple and straightforward mmr system, we instead have to suffer through the endless chase for player happiness and player retention rates. The thing that actually matters gets hidden and obfuscated behind "bings", "zoommms", levels and weird progress bars. Of course everyone is just irritated and confused.

I expect a lot of revamps in the future, because as for now the current system feels like it is at odds with itself.

Well, yes. I don't care big shinny screens and stuff and Blizzard telling me that even if a play with my Mercy you can succeed when all is a lie and the heroes that have the bigger cut are the ones that deal more damage. This game is polarizing at best. If you are in casual people thinks that is a deathmatch. Is you are in comp, people get so salty and angry because things don't go as the expected in the first round that they rage quit.

And still don't understand I win and I my skill bar rise like a fifth I lose and my skill bar drop a level? Cool.

EDIT: QUESTION! Why are some rockets at the side of some people when the teams are config in comp mode?

Bydobob

You know how competitive games work and yet you complain about things that happen in every competitive game ever invented?

The "vast majority" of higher ranks may or may not be playing with groups, but you can look through this thread and any other thread on any forum that discusses this game and see a ton of people who are at really high ranks playing strictly through solo queue, which means they've managed to deal with all the things you think are just happening to you and still manage to rank decently.
As for getting paired with shitty teammates, Surefour managed to make a second account playing completely solo and ended up at 78 at the end of qualifying, his team account is an 82, looks like it worked fine for him.

And here's the thing about you and your complaints about getting teamed with shitty players. Unless you think the game is out to get you, and only you, getting teamed with shitty players would be happening to everyone. So even IF that were the case, the fact that you are so much better than all of these pleabs would make your team better than the other team...and yet you aren't. How does that work, exactly?
But, no, we get it, Blizzard has flagged your account so that you get the worst players on your team while simultaneously putting pro level players on the other team so that you can't rank up. That's far more likely than the idea that you might not be as good as you think you are or at the very least the people you are playing with aren't nearly as bad.

Yeah, I'm totally the one who should "deal with it".

Quite a lot of sense being spoken here.

Like many others, I couldn't understand why I was losing whole ranks for losing despite getting 3+ gold medals, but then it dawned on me. When calculating rank the game isn't comparing you with your teammates, you're being compared with the overall playerbase using that particular hero, on that particular map, on that particular mode.

What isn't clear though is how they assess players who change characters during a match, as I frequently do. If I go from say Mei to Soldier 76 mid-way through the match, how do they assess my level of play per character? Is it a case of calculating stats per unit of time rather than stats per match? I'd really love to know the algorithms that determine skill level, it would put to bed once and for all the complaints of being unfairly ranked or matched with a team of plebs!

Top Bottom