• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch competitive mode out today on PC, next week on consoles

Oni Jazar

Got ranked 60 on PS4... Dropped to 57 today.

Playing 3:0 on Route 66, then 3:3 (both clutches on final point) for half an hour, just to get that attack coin flip on sudden death and loose... not to mention not getting any legendaries for twenty levels now... damn, I'm gonna need a break.

The coin flip on attack/defend is the WORST. If neither team can win on defense then the coin flip is just going to decide the winner. They need a better system.

T-Rex.

Banned
The coin flip on attack/defend is the WORST. If neither team can win on defense then the coin flip is just going to decide the winner. They need a better system.
Yup, it's fucking annoying. I had the same thing earlier, both sides kept winning on defence and losing on attack and then the damn toss gave us attack for the decider.

leaf_

The leavers are killing me and the way the game is handling the situation is mind boggling :|
Apparently when someone quits the game mid match the winning team receives less rating points while the losing team takes the full loss. WHY?
I understand that if there was no penalty the losing side could always just make someone quit, but for me if only blizzard inverted the current way it would be incredibly less frustrating.
The leaver takes the full loss and the risk of getting banned, the rest of the team takes less and the winning side receives the rating normally. Hopefully this week something is done about it.

Rad-

I wonder what would be a good sudden death system for next season. I'm not a fan of Stopwatch either because it just enforces playing certain heroes. Maybe throw the teams into a KOTH map and whoever caps first wins?

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Been on a massive losing streak the past few days, me and my friend have lost like 85% of our matches. I feel like most matches can be won by pushing as a group and picking the right characters, but people still pick stupid characters and rush in alone like idiots.

Z3M0G

What I like about "competitive" mode is most people are actually playing the game together instead of aimlessly running around trying to get some kills like it is team deathmatch. That said, I don't get how anyone can take the attached ranking system seriously. Playing only solo I lost 11 ranks with a winrate of over 60%. I can see why some people are frustrated and toxic when losing because losing up to 10x more XP than you can gain seems a bit broken. And it's not that there is much difference in player skill between the low 60s and low 50s. On the contrary, I've seen MUCH better players in the low 50s than at 60.

Blizzard put a lot of effort into making the game as fun as possible even when losing (no traditional scoreboard etc.) and then they royally fucked up the ranked mode. The mostly positive climate in the community during beta and the early release days was refreshing. Ranked mode just murdered it. The amount of insults and racial slurs I've seen in chat is staggering. Right now the climate makes me want to turn off voice and even chat. That is truly a great success for a team based game, right?
Woah i havent played in a few weeks and assumed this would be a great reason to return...im starting to worry if i may be done with the game for good.

Perhaps i should trade while value is high and get it again later when the game has much more content and a better price value, maybe even a nice discount.

Pineconn

You have to be level 25, which is really easy to hit. Frankly, I think the minimum level for competitive should be higher.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
You have to be level 25, which is really easy to hit. Frankly, I think the minimum level for competitive should be higher.

25 is far too low, it should have been 40 - 50 IMO.

Oni Jazar

25 is far too low, it should have been 40 - 50 IMO.

15 hours of time in a game in order to start playing in competitive is too low? cmon. If you don't know the general rules of the game after that long I doubt raising the bar would make a difference.

abundant

A better system is Stopwatch Rules, which practically every Overwatch tournament uses. For Hybrid and Assault matches, if neither team can capture the first point, then the game should send them to a 1 round KOTH match.

OVDRobo

I hate to think what this mode does to my blood pressure.

People are willing to absolutely anything to win. Scumbag Torbjorns and Bastions everywhere on PS4. Hell, at the end of the last match I was playing, as we were in the final payload run to the end on attack, we were up against 4 Bastions where players had slowly switched from other characters as they became more desperate. We still won because I was playing Pharah, Rein was shielding me and we had a good Soldier player, but jeez. At least lose with some grace, people.

Bastion isn't a win ticket and I'm glad this mode is demonstrating that, but picking the most bullshit annoying option because you're losing reflects more poorly on you than it does on anyone else.

Ah well. Looking forward to season 2 with better rewards than dull golden guns and hopefully a couple of rebalances.

fhqwhgads

I can completely see why the torbjorn nerf is a thing now. It's like Blizzard knew that people would be lazy as shit and just run triple torb with Reinhardt/Bastion/Lucio to get easy wins. Kind of annoying how the process is coming down to "Well I was hoping to play as someone else but I'll have to play as Pharra again"

What? Who cares what level people are? If they suck, they'll be ranked low with other sucky players. Isn't that how the whole thing is supposed to work?

abundant

Competitive needs a harsher punishment for quitting because in my experience it ain't deterring shit as is.

The problem with quitters is that Blizzard doesn't have a way to distinguish between rage quitters and people who disconnected, so for right now Blizzard can only punish people who leave the game multiple times within a certain time frame.

Lum1n3s

The problem with quitters is that Blizzard doesn't have a way to distinguish between rage quitters and people who disconnected, so for right now Blizzard can only punish people who leave the game multiple times within a certain time frame.
After playing a couple of games with quitters and what not I feel at this point it should have Dotas 2 matchmaking system which I was a great fan of.

PaulloDEC

Had a great game on Dorado last night with myself, two friends (one of whom had a ping of between 400 and 700 for unknown reasons, so he just went Junkrat) and three strangers. One of our strangers spent the whole game complaining that our character picks were all wrong and that he was heaps better than everyone else and that because we wouldn't do what he said he wasn't going to try.

We ended up winning on defense and very nearly winning on attack. Might've been a loss, but it felt like a victory (especially when everyone in the game was taking our side against our whinging teammate).

Let me just tell you how it should be. If someone quits the rest of the team doesn't take the loss. If they win they get credit for winning. Punish those who quit. Or, better yet, fucking matchmake someone else into the game!

We fought hard to get the second point and we're about to win only to lose someone and have the other team steamroll us for the rest of the match. That really sucks.

Let me just tell you how it should be. If someone quits the rest of the team doesn't take the loss. If they win they get credit for winning. Punish those who quit. Or, better yet, fucking matchmake someone else into the game!

We fought hard to get the second point and we're about to win only to lose someone and have the other team steamroll us for the rest of the match. That really sucks.

Nobody wants to be matchmade into a game in progress and definitely not one where the team you joined is losing. That would be horrible.

ayartalha

Neo Member
With competitive play, people have become even more intolerant to each other, and this involves me as well. Last night, my team won a head to head match on route 66. I was Mercy and I did my best to keep my team alive, in the end luckily I used my ultimate to revive 3 of my mates so that we delivered the payload. After the match, I recieved a message from one of the players of the opposing team cursing me. That kind of thing never happened to me before (well at least on ow).

Also, when people does not play according to the objective, I generally find myself yelling at them to come help their teammates. In quickplay I haven't interfered with people this much when similar things happened. The game first placed me to level 55 on ps4, however I have dropped to 53. Since then, I am going between those levels. I bought this game to have fun, not to get stressed. If I can't calm myself down I'll probably give it a break.

There are also some problems with the competitive mode itself, like many of you have mentioned earlier. Like sudden death situation when the match is draw. In my last game, we played on king's row, and none of the teams could even take the first objective. Match ended as draw and after the coin flipped my team became the attackers again. It gave us only 2 minutes to take the objective that we couldn't have been able to capture in nearly 5 minutes.

What? Who cares what level people are? If they suck, they'll be ranked low with other sucky players. Isn't that how the whole thing is supposed to work?

Exactly. Rank means nothing. Otherwise there wouldn't be all these stars playing with me down at my rank. It's hilarious to me after we lose a match how someone will always be talking about how horrible we are. I'm like dude, me, you and damn near everyone else on the team is the same rank. You aren't any better. I've always been pretty resigned to the fact I'm mediocre at this game, but a lot of other people are taking it real hard and project that frustration off on others. I've gotten very frustrated at times with this game, but in all instances except when players drop I just accept the other team was better.

PaulloDEC

I realise this isn't a controversial statement, but seriously, f*ck the coinflip tie-breakers.

I only had time for four matches tonight, and two of them ended with us being robbed of a fair fight by the flip of a digital coin. When even your opposition are offering their sympathies for your fate, you know the devs have got something wrong.

There has gotta be a better way than this.

HiiiLife

25 is def too low. People hit 25 and wanna get their feet wet in ranked, playing characters that don't make sense at all for payload maps lol.

I wish it was all straight KOTH. Hanamura and Anubis can kiss my ass.

15 hours of time in a game in order to start playing in competitive is too low? cmon. If you don't know the general rules of the game after that long I doubt raising the bar would make a difference.

Good point.

Flintty

The competitive levelling system seems dumb as fuck. If you win a game you only get a smidgen of XP. If you lose, and even if it's a really close game where your team played a blinder and only just lost out, you lose fuck loads of XP. I started as 57 but have dropped like a fucking brick to 50. It doesn't seem to reward performance, only a win. That's bullshit. Not really much incentive to play when the competitive xp gains and losses are so unbalanced, I can't even be arsed for the golden weapons.

Please explain if I've missed something but it really feels fucked right now.

Tuffty

4 of the enemy left in round two. Won but it doesn't feel like victory at all :/

Same thing happened to me yesterday. We had actually pinned them back and spawn trapped them. Easy for us but it must be so frustrating if you're on the other side of it.

K' Dash

I started on level 40 now I'm down to level 32, I play with some friends and we almost always tie with the other team, then we have to attack in hollywood or hanamura and win the point in less than 2 minutes, obviously we lost every fucking time.

Not once in the coin toss we have defended, this competitive seems broken as fuck.

I started on level 40 now I'm down to level 32, I play with some friends and we almost always tie with the other team, then we have to attack in hollywood or hanamura and win the point in less than 2 minutes, obviously we lost every fucking time.

Not once in the coin toss we have defended, this competitive seems broken as fuck.

I didn't know people could be even worse than I am

Apathy

The competitive levelling system seems dumb as fuck. If you win a game you only get a smidgen of XP. If you lose, and even if it's a really close game where your team played a blinder and only just lost out, you lose fuck loads of XP. I started as 57 but have dropped like a fucking brick to 50. It doesn't seem to reward performance, only a win. That's bullshit. Not really much incentive to play when the competitive xp gains and losses are so unbalanced, I can't even be arsed for the golden weapons.

Please explain if I've missed something but it really feels fucked right now.

I don't know if it changes, but I won a few games yesterday after my placement matches (I think like 5 or 6 wins) but every win I went up exactly 1 ranks worth off xp (I started at halfway between two ranks and win put me halfway between the rank I went up and the next one.

They should just use halo 2 1-50 ranking, it's still one of the best systems and super simple too, I know times have changed but halo 2 always felt like it created good matches over half the time.

Flintty

I don't know if it changes, but I won a few games yesterday after my placement matches (I think like 5 or 6 wins) but every win I went up exactly 1 ranks worth off xp (I started at halfway between two ranks and win put me halfway between the rank I went up and the next one.

I wish it was like it for me. I move up hardly any co at all :(

K' Dash

They should just use halo 2 1-50 ranking, it's still one of the best systems and super simple too, I know times have changed but halo 2 always felt like it created good matches over half the time.

I remember reaching level 50 in halo 3 and never touching it again, but yeah, it is good.

Apathy

I wish it was like it for me. I move up hardly any co at all :(

My friend who only plays support told me she barely moves in xp even on winds. I was playing junk/pharah

And she was lower rank than me and lower rank than the people we were facing and winning against

I remember reaching level 50 in halo 3 and never touching it again, but yeah, it is good.

wow nice, I reached 43 I think, but what I like about that system is that it was simple yet effective. When you found a match with everyone around the same level as you they always played rather well (lag issues aside)

What made halo 2 good was the way you leveled up and down, if you were paired against higher ranks for whatever reason and won you got a nice extra boost, if you lost agianst that team because they were higher rank you only lost a little bit of skill level. Two well balanced teams would win and lose the same rate of points so after a while you would float around a level which worked well for your skill.

Nearly every game since then has tried to improve the matchmaking formula but sometimes being simple is better, don't use a hidden MMR, don't punish players for stacked teams like overwatch seems to do.

Dmax3901

Lost on Vostoya Industries after four rounds. I don't like it, not sure how to fix it, but right now it's frustrating.

Top Bottom