• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch competitive mode out today on PC, next week on consoles

I was doing quite well, but our 68 is a really good player. He had a game with 90% kill participation. Makes sense. I wonder how it factors in how well you are doing if you are playing something like Reinhardt. What useful metrics could they pull from how well you are playing against a good team? You won't have a whole lot of damage or elims, and amount blocked is equally useless.
They said they have different expectations for different heroes based on averages for those heroes in different categories. Your Mercy will be judged on her healing, for instance.

aeolist

Banned
Yeah I'm not worried. I hardly ever play Reinhardt anyway. Just trying to think of the edge cases. Lucio is another one. Properly timed speed boosts and ultimates are infinitely more important than amount healed, but you can't really quantify that. I'm sure there's plenty of similar examples.
all that still affects your winrate though. if you're a higher skill player doing things like that you'll reach high mmr even if the algorithm has trouble quantifying your individual play.

So is it considered super-uncool to play as Bastion? I like playing him during Payload runs, but some 12-year-old was all bent out of shape.

all that still affects your winrate though. if you're a higher skill player doing things like that you'll reach high mmr even if the algorithm has trouble quantifying your individual play.
Also, the game tracks, e.g., damage nullified by a Lucio ultimate. It looks for that. Of course it's never going to be able to judge the importance or relevance of stats and behaviors the way a human would, but there's an effort to quantify different kinds of contributions.

So is it considered super-uncool to play as Bastion? I like playing him during Payload runs, but some 12-year-old was all bent out of shape.
He is generally considered a weak hero and is only trotted out by pros in very specific gambits on Control maps. But that doesn't mean he can't crush normal players in the right circumstances.

People too often look at the pro meta and think it applies to them.

Arkeband

Banned

He's a great defense hero if you find intelligent places to use him.

Unfortunately if you can't set him up properly you're completely useless, so he's a common hero newbs often handicap their team with.

I always consider it a badge of honor when somebody gets pissed at me for having fun playing the game in a way that I find fun. Do what you want. People who get bent out of shape should find their own group if they want to be so controlling.

Apathy

He has a lot of counters but is still strong if you play him right and do map mechanics. Basically heroes like widow,hanzo,torb and bastion have a bad stigma over them because many people that play them don't care about objectives and the game ends up feeling like a 5v6 for a team. When playing those characters you need to be conscious that people will always start off thinking you're bad and you have to prove to then that you're not one of the bad people that play them but one of the good ones that understands the objectives of the maps.

Don't worry about it, play what you want. A good Bastion (especially supported by others like a Reinhardt/Mercy) can be extremely devastating.

Mupod

I get that it's apparently looking at your individual performance when assigning a rating. But what do ragequitter/leaver matches do? Of course I'm going to get 5 golds if my teams keep leaving me to 1v6. I just don't understand why these botched matches have to count towards your 10 placement matches.

cakely

I'm really confused on how this mode works.
So when we first launch the Competitive mode and have to play the 10 games to decide rank, do we have to do that alone? Or can I have a group of friends play those those 10 games together?
Also, let's say I'm rank 50, my friend is rank 60. Are we allowed to play together? And if we can, does that mean my rank 30 then brings in 30-40 level players?

If it's anything like Starcraft, you'll have a individual ratings for your party.

So, if you and a friend party up and play, that group will have its own rating.

If another friend joins your party, that new group of three will have its own rating.

If you play solo, you'll have your own rating.

Rank should have nothing to do with matchmaking, it should be all skill-based.

I always consider it a badge of honor when somebody gets pissed at me for having fun playing the game in a way that I find fun. Do what you want. People who get bent out of shape should find their own group if they want to be so controlling.

Yeah. I do try to keep moving, since he can die so quickly.

And yeah, the people who go nuts about things like that really need to dial it down. Heroes of the Storm wasn't too toxic when i played. This will probably calm down eventually.

Still lots of fun.

MrPanic

Hm, just got into my first Sudden Death situation and I'm already considering never playing competitive again because of that bs. Why couldn't they just let the team that got to the last reached point faster win, I legitimately ragequit just now because of that coin flip loss, sent me straight into a bad mood.

MUnited83

For you.
Hm, just got into my first Sudden Death situation and I'm already considering never playing competitive again because of that bs. Why couldn't they just let the team that got to the last reached point faster win, I legitimately ragequit just now because of that coin flip loss, sent me straight into a bad mood.

If it's anything like Starcraft, you'll have a individual ratings for your party.

So, if you and a friend party up and play, that group will have its own rating.

If another friend joins your party, that new group of three will have its own rating.

If you play solo, you'll have your own rating.

Rank should have nothing to do with matchmaking, it should be all skill-based.
the rank [is] your skill. Its your MMR.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

He's easily countered, and unless the team is working around him he's just not very good.

It's being removed for season 2, so we just have to deal with it for 1.5 months.

elyetis

Amusing anecdote about the Widowmaker player that was avoided by everyone. Blocking players has now gone as a result.
I still think it's pretty stupid to simply cut the fonctionality. To avoid things like that you simply make it work as a "try to avoid". Matchmaking will first try to find a game like it did, then after a given time ( which could be based on the player pool at a given mmr and the average waiting time ) begin to ignore the block request.

Superflat

Competitive has been a shitshow for me with 1 win, 4 losses. I mostly play supports and i've never been this frustrated with OW before :[

It's like a completely different experience where everyone makes worse decisions lol

Yibby

Just bad luck or is this normal? Had 3 games with 3 leavers, all games counted as a loss. Two times they left in the first round, the other one left after we lost the first round. :(

LCGeek

formerly sane
There's no other option really. That would be extremely exploitable if you just tell one of your friends to leave so none of the rest of you lose rating.

They could program it so that premades take penalties vs strangers not organized. Not hard either and am wondering why it wasn't done.

This would be idea (solo/duo queue vs everything else) but I can imagine the playerbase (especially long-term) wouldn't be large enough for quickish matchmaking. This isn't LoL for sure.

Nonsense, Rocket League has like 1/8 the sales of OW and has perfectly functional solo ranked matchmaking. Put me also in the column of people wanting this. It's hard sometimes to get a full group of five together, so having everyone on the same playing field with randoms is the best solution.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Guess I've been somewhat lucky.

8-2 and the two losses we were pretty outclassed and my team couldn't kill shit.

1 super close match that was quite fun but the other matches we seemed to roll the other team pretty hard. The thing I like is that I don't usually carry (maybe one of those games) and even with 19 kills I didn't have a medal as a suppor character (means the offensive characters actually were offensive)

Aselith

Man, this patch tanked my framerate hard. Went from always near or well above 60 to like 35 at best and often below 30. Unplayable :/

NeoRaider

Just bad luck or is this normal? Had 3 games with 3 leavers, all games counted as a loss. Two times they left in the first round, the other one left after we lost the first round. :(

I lost first 3 games too. :(
What happens if i lost all 10? lol I hope to win at least 5.

Superflat

Ah yes, the classic three-junkrat combo for attacking control point -- it's amazing that we didn't win with that comp.

i hate everyone

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
what the fuck kinda bullshit sudden death mode did they implement?! just played one match. went to SD. Randomly put on the attacking team. shit was over in what, 2 mins? you get 2 mins to move the fucking payload? so basically you get put on offense in SD you're immediately at a huge disadvantage. fuck that.

ekim

what the fuck kinda bullshit sudden death mode did they implement?! just played one match. went to SD. Randomly put on the attacking team. shit was over in what, 2 mins? you get 2 mins to move the fucking payload? so basically you get put on offense in SD you're immediately at a huge disadvantage. fuck that.

Isn't sudden death also 2 rounds? No?

TI82

Banned
I can't wait for all the butthurt from not playing the game right.

I'm level 20 something and I'm already seeing it turn from passive aggressive to downright aggressively mean.

I love it.

my friend gets so cranky at the team and even when i know im not playing well hes being nice because we are friends but if we werent he would be cranky at me too so it's extra hilarious for me

DarkKyo

Hmm... I just won a placement match but then when the chart came up it said it was a loss for me... anyone encounter this yet?

Bootsy

Hmm... I just won a placement match but then when the chart came up it said it was a loss for me... anyone encounter this yet?
Did you DC at any point in the game?

You can also receive a loss for performing very poorly and simply getting carried to a victory.

Ozium

competitive is bullshit btw

the servers were shit and I got disconnected, I immediately rejoined the game, and got back in.. we won that round, then lost the next, then had a great overtime and pulled it off..

but it counted as a loss, because I got disconnected.. here are threads about it from overwatch forums:

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745615327

and from reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Competitiv...ning_placement_matches_and_winning_counts_as/

so what is the point of rejoining? what a stupid fucking system

makes me not want to play tbqh

Chaser324

Banned
I'm already finding the matches becoming a bit more evenly matched and competitive as the ratings shake out a bit. There's still a lot of people coming into competitive with a quick play sort of attitude that is pretty frustrating, but in general, I'm finding more people that seem interested in coordinating.

The biggest issue right now to me is the apparent bug or miscalibration that is causing king of the hill maps to have very little impact at all on your rating. It's incredibly frustrating to go five rounds and win a hard fought king of the hill match and receive peanuts, just to then turn around and get stomped on a payload map causing you to lose an entire rank. It's crazy, and it has to be causing some issues with some players getting stuck at a lower rank than they should be just because they've happened to get put into a lot of king of the hill matches.

Kysen

Leavers and groups completely fuck up matchmaking. What is the point of having a forced loss the moment someone leaves early? Why even continue to the match.

Also an EU issue, matching making should consider spoken language. Had a few rounds with Russians who couldn't understand what I typed or said.

2 wins, no communication at all on EU side
mostly negative experiences, more so than Quick Play
team comp shenanigans: I had to deal with teams with double Bastions and double Hanzo's ... yeah
as well as shitty play; fuckbois attacking at enemy team's spawn on defense at the start, they get rekt and first point is taken really fast
had 1 or 2 leavers in total

placed 42, now at 43 trying to work my way up, these matches have been a better experience than the placement ones

ekim

So how are the ranks? 100 is best, 0 is worst? Everyone I'm seeing in my group is around 50-60 while I'm still at qualification matches. Do only wins count or can you also climb up when losing but playing very good?

I heard there is a limit of 50... is this the player lvl or the rank and what does this limit do?

Kysen

fuckbois attacking at enemy team's spawn on defense at the start, they get rekt and first point is taken really fast

This lol, I had a bastion on hollywood in the room across from attacker spawn asking me in chat why I wasn't damage boosting him. 2 seconds after he sent the message he was dead, I replied "that's why". We lost that game.

Kain

So far my experience with Competitive has been positive. The first match put me into a lost match already so that particular one was awful, but the rest have been very fun. At least people fight for the objectives instead of kills.

The last one I had in particular ended in an awesome melee in Gibraltar that we lost in the end but we didn't care, we had a lot of fun, some crazy shit went down there. There were no bad words, no finger pointing, no "ez" no "learn2play retard" and shit like this you so usually see in quick play. That said, I only did 5 matches and still need to be ranked, but that was definetely the best group experience with pugs so far.

Top Bottom