• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch Competitive Play Season 2 Changes

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
There are several solutions to that problem, the obvious being to increase the time you can reconnect to the game without penalty.

Another solution is to allow other players to join the match in the middle, just like in solo queue. Of course, those who join should not suffer for the fact that they quite possibly joined a losing match but there are ways to relieve that (late joiners can not suffer penalty on losing, etc)
Wouldn't it be possible to harshly penalise people who quit through the menu or exit the app rather than get a disconnect? I feel like they must be able to tell the difference on their end.

It doesn't stop people deliberately disconnecting to game the system, but I feel like it at least adds some barriers to make people less likely to do it, and they can still penalise people who disconnect too frequently seeing as they really shouldn't be playing competitive if they don't have a reliable connection.

Me and my friend made it to top 500 this season but good god did we drop out soon after. We were on an absolute hot streak at the time but now no matter how well we do we lose almost every match. I don't know what it is about ranked play but it's so hard to win consistently if you aren't playing with a full team of 6. That is incredibly demoralising when you're doing your part in the team and placing at the top consistently but still losing.

• Coin toss is going away, all sudden death is going away.

I actually like sudden death after the patch that only allows 1 hero per team. Before that defense won 90% of the time on PS4, because people would just stack Torbjorn.

Now it's way more fun with the hero diversity, and because 1:30~2:00 it's basically the right amount of time to build an ultra, things can get really chaotic if a lot of ultras go out at the same time, it's awesome.

Tovarisc

I actually like sudden death after the patch that only allows 1 hero per team. Before that defense won 90% of the time on PS4, because people would just stack Torbjorn.

Now it's way more fun with the hero diversity, and because 1:30~2:00 it's basically the right amount of time to build an ultra, things can get really chaotic if a lot of ultras go out at the same time, it's awesome.

But how much diversity there really is in SD? You stack 2-2-2 or 3-2-1 comp depending on map and just pray like hell you managed to blind counter other side. Usually you have something like Rein, Hog/Zarya, Mercy, Lucio, Tjorb/Cree and Tracer/Soldier in SD as comp, over and over again with third tank at times for that extra team HP. What makes SD very annoying is that you need to get lucky and do some blind countering while getting to winning side of toss.

E.g. Route 66 SD as attack? Yeah, you are so fucked its not even funny.

dity

I find it consistently awful on PC because even if you aced the whole thing and had 4min left while they had to go into overtime, everything is undone because the team on attack have a way better chance to change and adapt to your setup in a short period of time than defence does to respond to that. It's unfair. It's like the golden snitch from Harry Potter basically: nothing else matters that happened before it.

Auctopus

Though this would probably hurt matchmaking, I recently hit level 50 and thought that that should be the Ranked entry level.

The amount of stuff I learned between 25 and 50 made me think 25 just isn't really high enough.

I find it consistently awful on PC because even if you aced the whole thing and had 4min left while they had to go into overtime, everything is undone because the team on attack have a way better chance to change and adapt to your setup in a short period of time than defence does to respond to that. It's unfair. It's like the golden snitch from Harry Potter basically: nothing else matters that happened before it.

Yes. Most of my losses during the season were losses in overtime or straight up "they didn't belong in ELO Hell" level roflstomp. Of those, it's about a 70-30 split, where normal, well lost games were somewhere along the lines of 25% of my games.

Vintage

I still don't get the tier system. If you reach a certain tier, you wouldn't drop down even if your rank falls? So if I somehow reach diamond, but start sucking badly, I'll still stay in diamond forever? What logic is this?
Also, they introduced 1-100 system because tier system was hard to understand. They upgraded it even more to 1-5000 to reflect you skill even better. Then they said fuck it and just implemented tier system which doesn't really reflect your skill. What's the point?

TaterTots

Banned
Sudden death needs to hit the bricks, so that's great news. However, what will Blizzard do about the quitters? Every other game someone leaves, either on my team or the opposing team. My rank has taken a massive hit due to this.

Z3M0G

uh, what? you're either level 10 or you're absolutely terrible at overwatch

Level 10, whatever it is called.

Is this related to the Comp Season 2 changes at all or are you just bitter?

Bitter I guess. One of my most regretted purchases this gen.

Game is loaded with charm, character, and perhaps gameplay depth... but by the time I reached level 10, I felt I was done with it... saw all I wanted to see. Competitive games don't hold me unless there is something to earn as I play... and the loot crates were unbelievably uninteresting.

You were level 10. You haven't even played ranked. lol

Nice to see the changes! :)

Rank, Level, whatever. I stopped caring almost immediately.

Hopefully in a year or so the game evolves in a considerable way and I may check back, but I'm highly doubting it.

zoukka

I still don't get the tier system. If you reach a certain tier, you wouldn't drop down even if your rank falls? So if I somehow reach diamond, but start sucking badly, I'll still stay in diamond forever? What logic is this?
Also, they introduced 1-100 system because tier system was hard to understand. They upgraded it even more to 1-5000 to reflect you skill even better. Then they said fuck it and just implemented tier system which doesn't really reflect your skill. What's the point?

I think you can drop in tiers between seasons?

KarmaCow

The thought is that if you can reach that tier, the chances of it just being a series of (many) lucky wins is low and so it's still an indicator of your skill. People have posted stories but it would be pretty unlikely to see someone go from Diamond to Silver and languish there for the entirety of the season. They originally didn't want to include tiers because they felt like it would categorize people so including it here is more for an ego boost to counter potentially dropping several skill ranks than an actual badge of honour like say the top 500 emblem.

Vintage

I think you can drop in tiers between seasons?

Maybe, that would make sense.

The thought is that if you can reach that tier, the chances of it just being a series of (many) lucky wins is low and so it's still an indicator of your skill. People have posted stories but it would be pretty unlikely to see someone go from Diamond to Silver and languish there for the entirety of the season. They originally didn't want to include tiers because they felt like it would categorize people so including it here is more for an ego boost to counter potentially dropping several skill ranks than an actual badge of honour like say the top 500 emblem.

It's still funny and strange how a higher skill rating player can be in a lower tier.

Mupod

between leavers ruining 80% of my matches and supports being screwed over, competitive outright killed my interest in a game I was playing daily. Like I got my 10 placement matches done and was so let down by it I never logged in again. They'll have to do a lot to it to ever get me back.

LiK

Maybe, that would make sense.

It's still funny and strange how a higher skill rating player can be in a lower tier.

well basically, you managed to reach a milestone and they're not gonna take it from you if you start sucking for whatever reason. it basically lets everyone know that you actually reached that high so when you play with others, they know you have some skills. it's no different than someone seeing your season high in season 1, imo.

dity

I think it mitigates the instances of bad luck players can have. In the current system if you're doing real well and get to rank 50 a crappy match afterwards will drop you back down. Now if you reach silver and have a bad game or three peopoe still know you're skilled enough to hit silver and will be working back towards that against the odds.

Top Bottom