• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch Competitive Play Season 2 Changes

Defuser

I wish they would reduced Koth wins to 2. It seems torture to play 5 fucking rounds. I bet Koth is one of major reason there are leavers. Quitters will have a high chance to leave after 2 losses because they don't want to waste time/torture themselves playing the 3rd round

Medals don't really mean anything.

They mean you're performing better than the rest of your team in specific metrics. In this case, two of those metrics involve playing the objective (which are also the only two metrics for objective play). I'm curious as to what this person should be doing to improve their team's play, if you're really taking the stance that somehow it's this person's fault their team is losing.

KarmaCow

Medals don't really mean anything.

The value of medals as an indicator is overstated since elims is just based on getting a hit in and damage also includes hitting shields but they're not worthless either. Having gold damage, elims, obj elims, and obj time probably means that you're at least pulling your weight.

MBison

In my dream world they release new skins/emotes/highlight intros for currency for season 2

Lol who am I kidding

Whats wrong with Rank 50?

I went from 54 to 35. It's hell in the thirties. I 3x or 4x gold medals every match but keep sinking in ranks because of other awful players who insist on playing Genji/Sniper lady

Just cus I was so close to that rank 56 comp points goldmines for a very short time...

But it seems there are always people worse off. I will light a candle and pray for you, nobody deserves to suffer as you do.

Ramirez

Tiers and no dropping out of them, thank fucking God.

I'll also never have to play with low 50s and high 40s tagging along with their friends too?? Based Blizzard.

Now just nerf discord orb, thank you.

Apathy

i'm loving the OW team over every other team that blizzard has. Jeff being the face and coming out and talking so often is a godsend

finalflame

Gold Member
Amazing changes. I'm really, really happy with how Blizzard is handling OW in general, and especially competitive. They're really listening and iterating wisely.

I went from 54 to 35. It's hell in the thirties. I 3x or 4x gold medals every match but keep sinking in ranks because of other awful players who insist on playing Genji/Sniper lady

I did the opposite -- 34 to 59. It's hell in the thirties, and somewhat better but not great in the 50s. The thing that's most lacking is team communication and people's willingness to coordinate. Sometimes you get great times where everyone is on board, sometimes you get teams with a bunch of people who give no fucks.

I truly only think this improves in the 70s.

Blizzard

Banned
It's coming.

Also possible Mei buffs, which is sickening, quite frankly.
Balance feels decent right now in average ranks except for Mei (not good), Mercy (inferior to Lucio/Zenyatta/Ana combos), and Widowmaker.

Widowmaker can probably never be good in average rank games without pro games being dominated by her, though.

Oh and Bastion/Pharah are bad to awful against good players, but work in average ranks.

tarheel91

If you're really a rank 54, you'd be CARRYING a rank 35 team and winning every game. I'm rank 63 and have a bunch of friends in the 40s I join for quick play. I can get on one of my best characters and put the team on my back all the way to victory. 35 is probably closer to your true rank than 54, and that's okay.

Balance feels decent right now in average ranks except for Mei (not good), Mercy (inferior to Lucio/Zenyatta/Ana combos), and Widowmaker.

Widowmaker can probably never be good in average rank games without pro games being dominated by her, though.
I think they can rework Widowmaker to give her more mobility and other advantages without returning to her devastating instakill power. Other characters that could use some sort of rework rather than a straight buff: Hanzo, Bastion, Symmetra.

Mercy will be fine if they nerf Lucio and Zen. How Lucio has got this far without a nerf is beyond me.

Mei is not good, but their solution should be to hit the delete key, imo!!

Cels

medals can often be empty, so having 4 gold medals doesn't mean much, even something like objective time can be meaningless if you are not working with your team.

to get an elim all you need is to scratch the enemy (which is why it's very easy to have gold elims as tracer)

damage done includes damage done to shields, turrets, and icewall which can also be misleading.

damage dealt to heroes is a far superior stat, but for whatever reason blizzard hasn't decided to give us that number.

dity

If you're really a rank 54, you'd be CARRYING a rank 35 team and winning every game. I'm rank 63 and have a bunch of friends in the 40s I join for quick play. I can get on one of my best characters and put the team on my back all the way to victory. 35 is probably closer to your true rank than 54, and that's okay.
You can't always carry every game.

mollipen

Decimals look less neat, and this brings the competitive currency more in line with the cosmetic currency.

But why do you even care about this?

Well, I think point inflation changes are pretty silly across the board a lot of times, yet I also said "but whatever". I don't really care all that much, just think it's not necessary. My actual caring is saved for how you won't drop tiers (which is legitimately dumb) and no mention of stricter penalties against quitters.

Oh and Bastion/Pharah are bad to awful against good players, but work in average ranks.

Widowmaker is unbelievable trash on console. Out of like 70 ranked games in the 60s I bet I saw her once. She's a guaranteed dead weight. Same with Symmetra. Those two should never have been nerfed on console.

finalflame

Gold Member

Not really, there is no carrying in the traditional sense in Overwatch. You can be a really good player, both mechanically and strategically, but if you're stuck on a team with little to no coordination you aren't gonna do shit. Just watch pros (surefour, seagull, greggo, etc) stream solo queue matches. If they can't carry some of those, then you're sure as hell not carrying anything.

tarheel91

If you are 20 ranks above the rest of the players, it's easy. Level 60 is top 6% of players, extrapolating that down to 35 you're probably looking at bottom 2-3% of players. If you're slightly above average (rank 54) you should have no difficulty wrecking the worst of the worst.

@finalflame: I'm not carrying shit when I solo queue. There, the ranks are properly balanced. It's when I group up with below average players. I'm speaking from experience over a couple dozen hours of playing with friends who suck at overwatch. There's a big stink (and the whole reason the +-500 skill points thing is being implemented) is because players are comp queuing with low ranked friends to get easy wins and inflate their rank.

As an example, the difference between a 3rd percentile Soldier and a 50th percentile soldier in terms of DPM is about double (from ~550 to >1000). That's massive. That's like playing 7v6.

They mean you're performing better than the rest of your team in specific metrics. In this case, two of those metrics involve playing the objective (which are also the only two metrics for objective play). I'm curious as to what this person should be doing to improve their team's play, if you're really taking the stance that somehow it's this person's fault their team is losing.
The value of medals as an indicator is overstated since elims is just based on getting a hit in and damage also includes hitting shields but they're not worthless either. Having gold damage, elims, obj elims, and obj time probably means that you're at least pulling your weight.
Medals just show you're doing good by simple numerical standards in relation to your teammates, not how far ahead of your team you are. Having a gold medal in something doesn't mean you're playing well, it just means you're doing better than others in your team in that particular category.

My point is you don't drop almost 20 ranks just because of teammates no matter how many medals you have to show for it.

Cels

Not really, there is no carrying in the traditional sense in Overwatch. You can be a really good player, both mechanically and strategically, but if you're stuck on a team with little to no coordination you aren't gonna do shit. Just watch pros (surefour, seagull, greggo, etc) stream solo queue matches. If they can't carry some of those, then you're sure as hell not carrying anything.

if you put any of these pros into a rank 50 game they would carry easily.

when everyone in the match is rank 75+ though then yeah sure they can't carry and win every single game but they are still winning like 60% of their games which is still pretty good.

This is true. But if you are legitimately much better than a 34, you can drag your team up on balance over time. I went from 43 up to 56 this season, and I played mostly solo queue to do it.

A huge part of the problem is players thinking they're the "triple gold medal DPS carry" and picking Genji/Reaper/McCree the majority of the time. It's easier to put the team on your back with, e.g., Lucio, Zarya, or current-iteration Zenyatta.

Go to overbuff.com, look at your winrates. Any hero you have <50% winrate with after 10 or more games played? Stop using that hero.

What is "lower ranks" in this case? Below 70, 60, 50...? Leavers in 50s are super common.
I'm 56, and I honestly think I haven't seen a leaver in my last two dozen games or more. A few DCs, sure, but they come back.

I also kind of wish the SR and tier be hidden until after the match, I've been in so many matches involving top 500 players (or several 70+ players), where the opposing team just mentally beats themselves. They're convinced they can't beat the team and just stop trying or quit immediately after they quickly cap the first objective. They stand no chance when their first thought is, "well we're screwed, they got a top 500 and we got a SR 63". I've been on both ends of the spectrum and neither is fun for me, sure it's cool to win by forfeit, but the reality is I don't win as much SR because I wasn't able to contribute as much on the scoreboard. I'm the type of guy who will stay on point so there's no surprises (when it's 6v5 or less), meanwhile the rest of the team is out padding their stats with damage/kills.

Medals just show you're doing good by simple numerical standards in relation to your teammates, not how far ahead of your team you are. Having a gold medal in something doesn't mean you're playing well, it just means you're doing better than others in your team in that particular category.

My point is you don't drop almost 20 ranks just because of teammates no matter how many medals you have to show for it.

There is another factor: communication. There is a region called Asia where Chinese, Taiwanese, Korean and Japanese play together, in that kind of environment, there will be zero amount of communication, text or voice because no one can effectively communicate with each other. In lower ranks games are a super mess and it is extremely easy to drop lower and lower.

Perona

The point of the skill point inflation is to that they have more room with awarding points because right now its 1 point or nothing. This way they can give people 5 points instead of the normal 10 for a tie. Giving decimal currencies is not going to happen.

pantsmith

Quitting out of competitive needs to be treated even more seriously.

It wastes everyone elses time when someone does it, and it is incredibly rare to see a team win when they're down a player.

Nazo

All of these changes sound good to me.

I have a feeling that the increase of points needed to get a gold weapon is to discourage people from farming competitive points by purposefully sabotaging their own rank and just stomping low ranking teams. to amass points quickly.

Which is cool with me, I think the gold weapons should be something you earn instead of being lame and just gaming the system.

Also, hearing Jeff talk about how players at rank 60 are actually in the top six percent of players make me feel really good being rank 64!

dity

If you are 20 ranks above the rest of the players, it's easy. Level 60 is top 6% of players, extrapolating that down to 35 you're probably looking at bottom 2-3% of players. If you're slightly above average (rank 54) you should have no difficulty wrecking the worst of the worst.

This is true. But if you are legitimately much better than a 34, you can drag your team up on balance over time. I went from 43 up to 56 this season, and I played mostly solo queue to do it.

A huge part of the problem is players thinking they're the "triple gold medal DPS carry" and picking Genji/Reaper/McCree the majority of the time. It's easier to put the team on your back with, e.g., Lucio, Zarya, or current-iteration Zenyatta.

Go to overbuff.com, look at your winrates. Any hero you have <50% winrate with after 10 or more games played? Stop using that hero.

I'm 56, and I honestly think I haven't seen a leaver in my last two dozen games or more. A few DCs, sure, but they come back.

You two should come down into the late 30s and tell me again that it's "easy" to consistently carry when you're down here. I don't care how good you are, you can't fill multiple roles at once and can't do much about teams that consistently trinkle and being ganged up on. 1v6 can only go so far if you keep getting matched up with the same folks with no way of stopping it.

You two should come down into the late 30s and tell me again that it's "easy" to consistently carry when you're down here. I don't care how good you are, you can't fill multiple roles at once and can't do much about teams that consistently trinkle and being ganged up on. 1v6 can only go so far if you keep getting matched up with the same folks with no way of stopping it.
But all those others teams also trickle in and get ganged up on.

Which heroes do you play? Do you fill needed roles? Do you ask your teammates to switch if the comp isn't ideal (and politely explain why it isn't ideal)?

peakish

i'm loving the OW team over every other team that blizzard has. Jeff being the face and coming out and talking so often is a godsend
He's great. Hopefully he will keep on being reasonably open about what's going on in forum posts and these videos.

Quitting out of competitive needs to be treated even more seriously.

It wastes everyone elses time when someone does it, and it is incredibly rare to see a team win when they're down a player.

So it's still not really taking personal performance into account, which is kinda disappointing.

My thoughts too. I really think if someone leaves they should incur a full penalty and everyone else on the team should have half the penalty they would normally if it's not in the final bit of the match. Was hoping that would be somehow addressed as someone who mostly plays with randoms.

Which heroes do you play? Do you fill needed roles? Do you ask your teammates to switch if the comp isn't ideal (and politely explain why it isn't ideal)?

I don't think logic and reasoning really work at that level...

Lee

Do you wait for your team to respawn while constantly spamming group up?

I really think if someone leaves they should incur a full penalty and everyone else on the team should have half the penalty they would normally if it's not in the final bit of the match.
This encourages people to either strategically leave or to bully others into leaving.

R0ckman

This is such BS, you would need an instakill character and be on the objective almost all the time.

With a bad team even if you carry you are constantly out of sync with your teamates, even if you wait for them because you will survive longer. The only thing you can do is wait for your team to group up in a random chance to distract the other team to sneak behind and kill them one by one and ult them and even in those sotuations which I have done your team will still die faster than you can kill each of their.

tarheel91

If you put together a team of low 30s to queue with, I will gladly play with you.

@R0ckman: Except, at that level, the other team's just as bad. It's 2 uncoordinated teams playing poorly against each other. Ready for the crazy awesome strat? Offense: Get high ground, pick the healer, whittle down enemy team, get ult and wipe. Defense: Get high ground, pick the healer, whittle down the enemy team as you can but DON'T DIE; retreat to health pack when necessary, get ult and wipe. At these levels, no one's protecting the healer, no one's communicating, no one can hit a strafing target, and no one moves evasively very well. If you can play above average or better, none of that should be difficult against the worst of the worst.

Chaser324

Banned
Do you ask your teammates to switch if the comp isn't ideal (and politely explain why it isn't ideal)?

Ha! Does this ever actually work for you?

I've almost completely stopped asking since so many people take it as some sort of personal insult if you question their hero choice. Even if you say something general and not directed at a particular person like "we could use a [insert unfilled role]", the best response you can hope for is "well why don't you change?" It's tempting to reply with "I'm the only healer/tank" but they almost certainly won't care so why bother?

Finalow

new ranked system should be better than the current one. and of course removing the awful coin toss sudden death was expected, worst thing they ever came up with. also as expected, they fixed boosting.
going for 1-5000 and tiers should at least fix the issue where most of the players get put in the 45-55 range regardless of their actual skill. people playing the game for the first time (so as you'd expect they have no idea of what they should be doing) and then after 2 days they play 10 competitive games and they get placed in the rank 50s when they play like someone who is 20 ranks lower? Ya, not a fun scenario.

what I wanted to see though was a different queue and skill rating for solo q and parties, like any other decent ranked game out there has.

Top Bottom