• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch Competitive Play Season 2 Changes

styl3s

Huzzah to the coin flip going away.

Whatever the penalties are, it doesn't appear to discourage the behavior. I'm still seeing quitters in about 20% of the ranked matches I'm in.
What else can they do other then full season bans? I don't know how many times someone has to quit before the ban but maybe shorten it?

Rage quitters gonna rage quit.

Heel

The only thing I don't like is being more strict on skill rating disparity when grouping up for Competitive.

I was a level 65+ occasionally playing with friends in the 50s, and it wasn't to get an edge. More often than not, it was a detriment to my ranking. Doesn't seem like playing with them will be possible in Season 2...

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
With the emphasis on wins over individual performance in competitive, it doesn't seem like team balancing will improve much.

What else can they do other then full season bans? I don't know how many times someone has to quit before the ban but maybe shorten it?

Significantly increase ban time, and apply the ban to all modes on repeated offense. If still not enough, reduce their comp point gains on repeated offense, optionally if their match completion ratio returned to normal, give back their reduced comp points from earlier wins.

I'm not really sure this is the right idea. 1-5000 might feel like I'm not making consistent progress. I'm 70 now and the big seven zero feels like an accomplishment. Now the real accomplishment will be diamond, master and grand master.

Dude 70 is top 3% and would be like mid-high master in the new system,

I'm not really sure this is the right idea. 1-5000 might feel like I'm not making consistent progress. I'm 70 now and the big seven zero feels like an accomplishment. Now the real accomplishment will be diamond, master and grand master.

The raw back-of-the-envelope calculation (based on incomplete info of course so giant grain of salt) would show that if I repeat my season 1 performance in season 2, I would end up going from high Platinum to low Gold (58 to 43). I mean, maybe that sounds better. I hope that psychological sleight of hand works on me. We'll see.

As for the changes in general, the biggest thing that stands out to me is the intent to make each game shorter. This is a very welcome addition; it means if you're being steamrolled, you don't feel steamrolled for as long. I really hope that means people will leave fewer games too, knowing they don't have to stick around for another half-hour, but I'm not that hopeful.

I'll probably continue to stick to quick play a lot when I do play, just because it's more fun and less stressful, but I'd be willing to give season 2 a shot based on these changes. I'll likely bail a lot earlier than in season 1 if things start to go bad, though. Just not worth the pain.

LiK

I thought there were already penalties for leaving in competitive including a full season ban if you leave too many games?

No point in putting any real penalties in casual mode because it's casual mode.

Not talking about casual mode. I play in high 60's matches and people will leave too often. The penalties just aren't good enough to prevent it. Right now you can't play for 10 min, big whoop. And I doubt people leave often enough to be banned. They should make it like 30 min to an hour so leaving def impacts their ability to rejoin to quickly.

bender

What time is it?

To make a recommendation I'd need to know the details of what the system is currently. I just know what they have now doesn't appear to be working. I figured getting out of the 40s would curtail the problem but I hit 65 this weekend and still saw quitters. Just a spit ball idea (harsher up-front bans):

-1st Offense - warning
-2nd Offense - 2-3 day competitive ban
-3rd Offense - 1 week competitive ban
-4th Offense - season ban

blakep267

To make a recommendation I'd need to know the details of what the system is currently. I just know what they have now doesn't appear to be working. I figured getting out of the 40s would curtail the problem but I hit 65 this weekend and still saw quitters. Just a spit ball idea (harsher up-front bans):

-1st Offense - warning
I'd say 2-3 days is kinda excessive, as there may be power outages etc. Maybe like 1 hour from all modes. Then 1 day if you keep quitting

LiK

-1st Offense - warning

I would say that internet DC happens so that's a bit strict. But the ability to return to play should be increased each time it occurs. If they have shit Internet, play QP.

Permanently A

So huh....is the current system but x 10?

Golden weapons now cost 3000 instead of 300, but you're also getting 10x the rewards so you get 3000 instead of 300 if you hit 65. They're doing that because they want a tie to reward competitive points but not as much as a win would. I would guess 10 points for a win and 5 for a tie.

Cels

i don't see the point of multiplying the competitive point values by 10.

they could easily have the exact same thing they have now, and instead award half a point for a tie.

Permanently A

i don't see the point of multiplying the competitive point values by 10.

they could easily have the exact same thing they have now, and instead award have a point for a tie.

He says in the video they don't want a tie to award the same amount of competitive points as a win.

Ellite25

My biggest issue is someone leaving mid match and basically handing your team a loss and then you lose half a rank when you never had a chance.

mollipen

*Skill rank changes from 1-100 to 1-5000 to better differentiate player skill.
*(Re)introducing Skill Rating Tiers. I.E your Golds, Plats, etc. At Diamond or lower, you won't drop below your current tier.

DUMB. You should be able to drop out of tiers, and I say that as someone who wants to curl up and die because every time I'm one win away from 50, I get games that drop me back down to 47~48.

*Competitive point gains and gold gun costs multiplied by 10. Also applies to your current point bank.

Stupid "make people feel cooler" inflation, but whatever.

What I don't see in this big list is "more punishment for quitters," which is the single biggest factor in my losing Competitive games or not even being able to get started in the first place.

dezzy8

They should do it like Epic with Paragon and force you to rejoin the game until it's over. That'll help stop people from leaving to join a diff game.

Also, I can't remember the last time I saw a player quit a competitive game before it ended (as opposed to DCing and rejoining).

Maybe it happens more at lower ranks?

bender

What time is it?
I would say that internet DC happens so that's a bit strict. But the ability to return to play should be increased each time it occurs. If they have shit Internet, play QP.

It's probably too harsh but you need the punishment to sting to discourage behavior. An hour long ban isn't going to do that.

Syntax

They didn't like that players were associating themselves with a number and that players felt bad when dropping skill rating even though it's supposed to happen. Skill tiers solve this.

I don't understand!

So they don't want players' self worth tied to numbers so they introduce Skill Tiers but(!) there are still numbers. Someone explain this to me. Numbers still seem to be the only metric except that now you have striations associated with precious metals?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Looking forward to unironically calling people bronze scum again.

Squire

Banned
I don't understand!

So they don't want players' self worth tied to numbers so they introduce Skill Tiers but(!) there are still numbers. Someone explain this to me. Numbers still seem to be the only metric except that now you have striations associated with precious metals?

You don't drop tiers.

You can give players .5 or .25 or whatever points. The world wouldn't end.

Could say the same of just multiplying the points.

I don't understand!

There is a number scale on which you place, which you can move up and down. 1-5000.

Once your number goes past certain set values, you have reached a given Skill Tier and you're now unable to fall below that set value — unless it's one of the top Skill Tiers, in which case you have to maintain your high ranking by playing semi-regularly.

It's an attempt to find a hybrid between a grind system (where just playing more can rank you up) and a pure Elo system that is accurate but kinda dispiriting for the majority of players.

The whole thing is designed to be rewarding and encouraging of repeat play whatever your actual level of skill.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Now this is exactly what I needed to get me pumped for season 2, some great changes. Looking forward to seeing what else is in store. Nothing about the leaver issue, though.

Syntax

You don't drop tiers.

Inaccurate. You don't drop tiers after reaching Diamond Tier.

Edit: Or maybe I'm just dumb and didn't understand that part.

But my question had to do with the new system overlayed the old one. The numbers that make players feel bad (ie. Rank) still exist; they've only added labels to certain ranges.

Also, what does not dropping a tier entail? What is the benefit of that? Matchmaking work based on Tier or Rank? Rank still drops even if Tier doesn't?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think there have been studies showing people have an aversion to fractions, even when it comes to arbitrary values. I forget the source though.

Formosa

Subsequent "assemble your team" time after the first round is reduced.

OH no...Now my bathroom break time is reduced :/

They should do it like Epic with Paragon and force you to rejoin the game until it's over. That'll help stop people from leaving to join a diff game.

They already changed the leave cooldown so that you can't join any new competitive games for 10 minutes after you leave. Not the same as forcing people to rejoin their match, though. Not sure if that would actually help or not; particularly petulant players might just decide to idle if they get forced back into their old game. Though I guess that risk always exists no mater what.

Top Bottom