• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch Competitive Play Season 2 Changes

dity

But all those others teams also trickle in and get ganged up on.

Which heroes do you play? Do you fill needed roles? Do you ask your teammates to switch if the comp isn't ideal (and politely explain why it isn't ideal)?
Not necessarily. It's luck of the draw for if you get cooperative teammates or not. You definitely can't just rely on their raw skill with no communication. You just have to hope for cooperation, or the other team being really bad.

I play basically any hero, with 5-16 hours on heroes relevant to the meta. And yes I do ask if people can switch sometimes but you're just likely to be called a cunt.

dity

If you put together a team of low 30s to queue with, I will gladly play with you.
Why a team? Most people around this rank aren't doing more than a duo queue on average on PC. Not to mention completely sidesteps the solo queue issue.

Thank god the coin flip is gone. Lost so many games we should have won because we got the wrong flip and a minute to do something. ugh

Every time I attempted to play competitive, even with a friend, and we would win, I would gain virtually no XP, no matter how well we did.

When I lost, I would always lose half a rank, two losses would always drop me a rank. No matter how well I did.

So my rank never got above 51 (my original rank) because of this.

You just need to string together consecutive wins. After about 5 wins you're earning half of a rank level for each win. If you keep losing or don't win at least half of your games you start getting hit really hard.

Thank god the coin flip is gone. Lost so many games we should have won because we got the wrong flip and a minute to do something. ugh

You just need to string together consecutive wins. After about 5 wins you're earning half of a rank level for each win. If you keep losing or don't win at least half of your games you start getting hit really hard.

I thought you only have to play games consecutively, not having to win them.

LordofPwn

all good changes imo. hit solo queue 50 hell. it's a nebulous black hole of suffering with just enough hope to keep you trying.

teams refusing to team up, finally get a good game and someone on your team leaves, only for someone to join after the damage has already been done. wanting to spawn kill the attacking team only to easily be thwarted by 1 reaper. now when next season starts and i do my placement matches as a team and get placed in gold-platinum i don't have to worry about falling into the lesser tiers.

Walpurgis

Banned
I thought you only have to play games consecutively, not having to win them.
I don't know exactly how it all works but I have noticed that consecutive wins do give half a rank. Consecutive losses also take a lot. My advice is to take advantage of winning streaks and to stop playing if you get 3 losses in a row. The thing is, you are always playing with a certain pool of players at any one time (this is why the same names frequently pop up). If you have a crappy pool today, you should try again the next day.

antitrop

I don't know exactly how it all works but I have noticed that consecutive wins do give half a rank. Consecutive losses also take a lot. My advice is to take advantage of winning streaks and to stop playing if you get 3 losses in a row. The thing is, you are always playing with a certain pool of players at any one time (this is why the same names frequently pop up). If you have a crappy pool today, you should try again the next day.

It's all about the streaks. With enough consecutive wins/losses, you can gain or drop an entire rank with a single game.

The system still remembers the three losses when you start it up next time.

On the other hand, it's probably a good idea to stop after two or three straight defeats anyway, just because you're likely on tilt.

Kysen

I hope the increased rating scale spreads out the player base. Right now its basically ranks 25-85 and everything else isn't used. Its why losing ranks sucks so much because the pool of players opens up drastically the nearer 50 you go. Meaning you can get games where the team average is 50 but the skill levels vary drastically. Add in leavers and its a mess.

And yet they haven't fixed the points problem when people on your team leave.
I agree there should be a higher penalty for leaving but why is there a point problem? People would just abuse the crap out of a system that gave teams with leavers less penalty for losing.

It's all about the streaks. With enough consecutive wins/losses, you can gain or drop an entire rank with a single game.

Is this a real thing or are people just saying this because of the psychological headspace you get into when you're winning/losing? Because if you actually get more rank loss/gain per game with consecutive losses/wins, then FUCKING BULLSHIT WHY DO THEY NEVER FUCKING TELL YOU THIS WHAT THE HELL BLIZZARD. I would be so pissed if it turns out the reason I dropped rank so goddamned quickly is because I had to quit way earlier than I did.

Tovarisc

I agree there should be a higher penalty for leaving but why is there a point problem? People would just abuse the crap out of a system that gave teams with leavers less penalty for losing.

Winning match with leaver gives you next to no XP, but losing side gets full penalty of loss currently. No matter if leaver was in winning or loosing side. How that is fair? If you don't give full rewards to winner maybe don't give full penalty to loser?

finalflame

Gold Member
Winning match with leaver gives you next to no XP, but losing side gets full penalty of loss currently. No matter if leaver was in winning or loosing side. How that is fair? If you don't give full rewards to winner maybe don't give full penalty to loser?

Not true, I've still gotten plenty of XP for finishing a match with a leaver on the opposing team. I'm pretty sure it just re-weighs taking into account the new player distribution.

With that said, leaver penalty should be much harsher -- probably a 24 hour lockout, and after 3 strikes a season ban.

Is this a real thing or are people just saying this because of the psychological headspace you get into when you're winning/losing? Because if you actually get more rank loss/gain per game with consecutive losses/wins, then FUCKING BULLSHIT WHY DO THEY NEVER FUCKING TELL YOU THIS WHAT THE HELL BLIZZARD. I would be so pissed if it turns out the reason I dropped rank so goddamned quickly is because I had to quit way earlier than I did.

People say this is a thing, but I don't see it. I won 5 or 6 games in a row, and only went up 1 and half ranks. That doesn't seem like a lot for 6 wins.

Tovarisc

Not true, I've still gotten plenty of XP for finishing a match with a leaver on the opposing team. I'm pretty sure it just re-weighs taking into account the new player distribution.

Huh? I have gotten next to nothing from matches that had quitter. No matter how well or badly I personally performed.

finalflame

Gold Member
Huh? I have gotten next to nothing from matches that had quitter. No matter how well or badly I personally performed.
I've definitely won matches where the opposing team had a quitter, yet myself and my teammates either got close to a normal amount of rank or even a bit more than usual.

The general theory is that the game has an internal, invisible MMR for you based on a number of factors far more complex than what you see externally. If you are close to that number, then your ranking up/down will be relatively sluggish, as the game is trying to fully re-adjust you from the "center". If your internal MMR is far below or far above your rank, based on a host of factors that determine your skill, then a win will theoretically boost you up further and down less. It's like wherever your internal MMR is compared to your rank will have sort of a gravitational pull on your ranks/losses.

However, this isn't confirmed. What I suspect is that the game takes the 3rd (and beyond) consecutive win or loss and makes a big adjustment in either direction. I have definitely noticed that from my 3rd consecutive wins onwards, I tend to snowball in rank gain and move up really fast. I don't usually go on long enough losing streaks to see myself snowball down, but typically if I do go on a tilt and get 3 consecutive losses, the third loss is a much greater rank loss than the first two.

At least this has been my observation getting placed at 34 due to a terrible 6-man group in placement matches and then climbing my way up to 60 on PC.

ramyeon

all good changes imo. hit solo queue 50 hell. it's a nebulous black hole of suffering with just enough hope to keep you trying.

teams refusing to team up, finally get a good game and someone on your team leaves, only for someone to join after the damage has already been done. wanting to spawn kill the attacking team only to easily be thwarted by 1 reaper. now when next season starts and i do my placement matches as a team and get placed in gold-platinum i don't have to worry about falling into the lesser tiers.
Solo queue 50 isn't that bad. 30s and 40s are hell.

All of these changes are for the better.

Spinifex

I'm actually going to miss coin flip. The team I play with won 90% of coinflips, regardless of whether it was defense or attack.

Yukinari

Considering i lost like 5 matches in a row today and some of it was thanks to coinflip and the dumbass mechanics of competitive im happy for these changes.

Now we just need to make it so people stop picking hanzo, widow and bastion on offense.

Tovarisc

It's happening? Support mainers like me wont get fucked over that hard in Season 2 when it comes to ranks and rank XP?
e796XOt.jpg

Edit: Trigger material to get quite a bit more rank XP from very mediocre Cree round than from excellent Mercy round

Rodelero

Considering i lost like 5 matches in a row today and some of it was thanks to coinflip and the dumbass mechanics of competitive im happy for these changes.

Now we just need to make it so people stop picking hanzo, widow and bastion on offense.

Don't forget the people who play Reaper or Genji all the time regardless of the situation and regardless of whether they are good with the characters! I see a lot more of those than people picking the snipers, to be honest.

Gorillaz

Their matchmaking engine or equation they use has been insane in terms of being hot and cold. The entire black hole of the 50s is just broken the game changes easily after getting past 58 and if you go below 53 it's over. This problem with their matchmaking was easily noticable in Quickmatch and is juiced up to crazy degree in comp.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Don't forget the people who play Reaper or Genji all the time regardless of the situation and regardless of whether they are good with the characters! I see a lot more of those than people picking the snipers, to be honest.

Or the people who think it's acceptable to play a hero they have an hour total playtime with in ranked.

antitrop

Psychological headspace? I mean... you can see the bar move, I wasn't hallucinating. :p

Firestorm

If you win like five games in a row the game assumes you're probably not in the right spot and starts advancing you faster to get you to where you should be. Vice versa for losses.

ramyeon

It's definitely a thing. I was on a streak last night and was gaining a rank for every win, whereas before I'd go up a little and it would take 2-3 wins to go up a rank.

LordofPwn

Solo queue 50 isn't that bad. 30s and 40s are hell.

All of these changes are for the better.
On console once you hit low 50's you start to get roped in with 40's and it just takes 1 bad match to drop you below. Playing with team I hit 54 and was on pace for 56 had it not been for a couple coin flips. Those dropped me down to 52, did solo queue a week ago and and it was hell. Low was 49 and I managed to salvage a 51... Stopped playing until season 2.

ramyeon

On console once you hit low 50's you start to get roped in with 40's and it just takes 1 bad match to drop you below. Playing with team I hit 54 and was on pace for 56 had it not been for a couple coin flips. Those dropped me down to 52, did solo queue a week ago and and it was hell. Low was 49 and I managed to salvage a 51... Stopped playing until season 2.
I'm on console too. Low 40s and 30s is much, much worse than what you experienced.

dity

Just need 6 more comp points until I have a guaranteed golden weapon. Just playing comp willy nilly until I get them. And then I can hit season 2 with no regrets and a fresh start!

Most people here play on PS4 don't they?

LordofPwn

I'm on console too. Low 40s and 30s is much, much worse than what you experienced.
Clearly kicking ass on Anubis tied 2-2, 6:40 to take 1st point, and teammate leaves, we cap it but not enough time to take the second point. Finally get a 6th person in but not till enemy team caps 1st point 5v6 couldnt stall long enough. They won in OT. Devastated.

Another time, we had a mercy, mercy kept having bad positioning, kept dying, they switched to torb, on attack. We lost.

On attack on volskaya, I'm Zarya, we got a Genji, bastion, Hanzo, widow, and roadhog

If that's not Hell idk what is.

Honestly I'm not sure what you were saying in the first post (Seems to be typo or two in there), but I'm guessing you mean that you want them to take into account individual performance more.

It does in some respects, but at the end of the day this is a team game.

Oh, yes, sorry. Auto correct I guess.

But yes, I meant to say that I'd appreciate it if they took individual performance into consideration I would be happy.

There's no incentive to play if you're going to be penalized for a bad team.

Really disappointed he did not address leavers

I'm confused by these posts, a 30 minute suspension is pretty brutal as is, what else can you do besides that?

I've got about 200 comp games played and I don't know that I've experienced an actual rage quitter more than 3 or 4 times. I see people get DC'd and come back like two minutes later, but actual dudes that leave us out to hang, not very often. I usually queue as a party of 2-4 for reference, rarely play solo.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
But yes, I meant to say that I'd appreciate it if they took individual performance into consideration I would be happy.

Anecdotal evidence says they do. See: https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/4sgx1w/how_mmrrank_is_calculated_should_individual/

The problem is, there's no way to actually consistently compute "did this player outperform at his level?" and they have to rely on heuristics. They can't make it transparent because it's clearly flawed, and if they show you how it works people will just try to game it. There's also questions of whether such a thing is good in the first place, because it will irrevocably favor a certain kind of player or a certain kind of hero/role over others. Support mains complain about the opposite happening for them, that they seem to get less rating than the fighters in their groups. This is the problem with going beyond pure win-loss. No one is ever happy with the result. You think you might be happy with it but the fact that it likely already exists and you don't even notice just goes to show that you wouldn't be happy with it in the end anyway.

I'm confused by these posts, a 30 minute suspension is pretty brutal as is, what else can you do besides that?

I've got about 200 comp games played and I don't know that I've experienced an actual rage quitter more than 3 or 4 times. I see people get DC'd and come back like two minutes later, but actual dudes that leave us out to hang, not very often. I usually queue as a party of 2-4 for reference, rarely play solo.

That's probably why, You're always in a group so you normally get matched with other groups. Solo Q is a whole another animal. Especially once you reach the lower ranks like the Low 50s/40s/30s RQ are rampant.

30 Minutes is nothing to be honest, you can go alt tab and watch a show for 30 minutes. If you legitimately leave a game and don't come back the first offense should be 24 hours. Each occurring offense after that should be double until you are banned for the reminder of the season.

ramyeon

That's probably why, You're always in a group so you normally get matched with other groups. Solo Q is a whole another animal. Especially once you reach the lower ranks like the Low 50s/40s/30s RQ are rampant.

30 Minutes is nothing to be honest, you can go alt tab and watch a show for 30 minutes. If you legitimately leave a game and don't come back the first offense should be 24 hours. Each occurring offense after that should be double until you are banned for the reminder of the season.
The other day my internet disconnected and I was unable to get back into the game not for lack of trying. Are you suggesting that I should have been hit for a 24 hour ban for that?

NimbusD

Really disappointed he did not address leavers

They said they have a lot more to announce. This is mostly just addressing main competetive changes, so I wouldnt be surprised if that just doesnt fit here.

Also, looks like they're going back to what they originally wanted to do with tiers. I'm a fan of that, so sick of dropping to a bunch of people who just don't care to even try to do better, I'd at least like to get stuck in a tier where people at least where capable of trying at one point to pay attention to what's going on to reach a specific tier even if they're not consistently good.

The other day my internet disconnected and I was unable to get back into the game not for lack of trying. Are you suggesting that I should have been hit for a 24 hour ban for that?

There are several solutions to that problem, the obvious being to increase the time you can reconnect to the game without penalty.

Another solution is to allow other players to join the match in the middle, just like in solo queue. Of course, those who join should not suffer for the fact that they quite possibly joined a losing match but there are ways to relieve that (late joiners can not suffer penalty on losing, etc)

Top Bottom