• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT11| Have Mercy

The Ana/Sombra/Doomfist situation is so upsetting. It's not like pre buff Torb/Bastion/Sym where they're legitimately bad, they're actually good characters where the risk/reward for using and mastering them simply isn't worth it. Why play Ana when you can play Mercy, why play Sombra when you can play Genji, why play Doomfist when you can play literally any other dive character. They need buffs ASAP.

Sombra was seeing regular pro play before this patch. I think the stats for the tournament today we're an outlier.

What they should do is make her kit more active than it is passive, so she spends more time shooting people and hacking them rather than farming EMP from health packs.

I think That’s dumb. Every character in this game is a hybrid of some kind. They really need to remove the 4 classes and do it like HotS to remove this mentality

And thats a problem in a game designed to have hard counters

In a better designed game where all heroes were viable and only soft counters existed that would be plasuible

Blues1990

And thats a problem in a game designed to have hard counters

In a better designed game where all heroes were viable and only soft counters existed that would be plasuible

Blizzard needs to put a ton of attention into the Support class. We need variety, meaning a diverse hero pool, and we need options, meaning not have healers be completely outclassed by other healers in all situations. I don't give a damn about a hero needing aim, as there are other classifications of skill. I do, however, care about one hero just flat-out being better than the other options.

But even if Blizzard does make a new healer and perfectly balances all of the Support Heroes, there's still one issue:

A lot of non-Support players seem to be completely against the idea of having healers that make an impact in the match. One thing I've seen repeatedly in the last few weeks is that any time someone mentions buffing Ana or improving healer abilities, others jump on them with "No! Power creep's bad! We don't need to make healers better! We just need to NERF MERCY!" A lot of players seem to have the opinion that healers should be complete cannon fodder, be completely helpless, and should never be able to have a noticeable impact on a game, but holy shit they'd better fucking heal that nitwit that went in over their head.

Frankly, when the Mercy changes first happened and people started complaining, I wrote the complaints off, because they primarily seemed to come from Genji/Tracer mains bitching that they can't get free kills and decide entire team fights by themselves. It became clear that that's not the reality of it, but so many of the conversations eventually boiled down to "It's bullshit that I can go in, get a pick, then recall, and then Mercy can just res the person! My pick should have given my team the objective! Instead, we lost because it was a 6v6 instead of a 6v5."

It just read as "It's not FAIR that the support hero was able to do something useful!" and I had trouble taking it seriously.

So yeah.

• Mercy needs to be tweaked a bit, but they are otherwise in the right direction with her kit.
  • Blizzard needs to release a new healer that doesn't step on the toes of the others.
  • Ana needs a buff and be a hard counter to Tracer/Genji's antics.
  • Players need to decide whether we can have healers that can actually make an impact other than when they press Q.
Anyway....

AN OVERWATCH TALE: "THE RETURN OF JUNKENSTEIN"

NeoRaider

Ana really does need a buff i agree with that.

I hope that new character that they are revealing at Blizzcon will be a healer like it's rumored.

Blizzard needs to put a ton of attention into the Support class. We need variety, meaning a diverse hero pool, and we need options, meaning not have healers be completely outclassed by other healers in all situations. I don't give a damn about a hero needing aim, as there are other classifications of skill. I do, however, care about one hero just flat-out being better than the other options.

But even if Blizzard does make a new healer and perfectly balances all of the Support Heroes, there's still one issue:

A lot of non-Support players seem to be completely against the idea of having healers that make an impact in the match. One thing I've seen repeatedly in the last few weeks is that any time someone mentions buffing Ana or improving healer abilities, others jump on them with "No! Power creep's bad! We don't need to make healers better! We just need to NERF MERCY!" A lot of players seem to have the opinion that healers should be complete cannon fodder, be completely helpless, and should never be able to have a noticeable impact on a game, but holy shit they'd better fucking heal that nitwit that went in over their head.

Frankly, when the Mercy changes first happened and people started complaining, I wrote the complaints off, because they primarily seemed to come from Genji/Tracer mains bitching that they can't get free kills and decide entire team fights by themselves. It became clear that that's not the reality of it, but so many of the conversations eventually boiled down to "It's bullshit that I can go in, get a pick, then recall, and then Mercy can just res the person! My pick should have given my team the objective! Instead, we lost because it was a 6v6 instead of a 6v5."

It just read as "It's not FAIR that the support hero was able to do something useful!" and I had trouble taking it seriously.

So yeah.

• Mercy needs to be tweaked a bit, but they are otherwise in the right direction with her kit.
  • Blizzard needs to release a new healer that doesn't step on the toes of the others.
  • Ana needs a buff and be a hard counter to Tracer/Genji's antics.
  • Players need to decide whether we can have healers that can actually make an impact other than when they press Q.
Anyway....

AN OVERWATCH TALE: "THE RETURN OF JUNKENSTEIN"

Mercy does not completely outclass every support in every way. Ana is a great support. She can heal fast as fuck from any range, has an instagib ability, a nade that either makes your team invincible or the other team cannon fodder, an ult that combined with her nade makes any dps character an invincible death machine etc. She absolutely should not hard counter flanking dps. Like wtf???

Blues1990

Mercy does not completely outclass every support in every way. Ana is a great support. She can heal fast as fuck from any range, has an instagib ability, a nade that either makes your team invincible or the other team cannon fodder, an ult that combined with her nade makes any dps character an invincible death machine etc. She absolutely should not hard counter flanking dps. Like wtf???

Mercy's 30-Second Resurrection alone makes her a no-brainer pick over Ana.

Yes, Ana has her sleep dart to defend herself, but good luck with utilizing it when it can get countered by barriers, or someone on your team (either by accident or otherwise) wakes up the snoozin' target. With how she is, Ana's a free meal ticket for the flankers and/or the Dive Tanks.

Which is why I said above that Ana needs some kind of balance change to offset the difficulty curve that is required to play her (which she had before her DMG potential was taken away, and was left with the weaknesses without the strengths). Ana was a utility sniper who had to make choices between healing and damage, who in all honesty, really just needed her healing reined back a bit. Instead, she is a hero that's best described as "High risk, little reward" in the current climate, and you'd be a fool to pick her.

So everyone on my team quits after terrible defense round on dorado. I go Pharah on attack, it’s 2v6. I walk out the right opening, see a widow standing near the planter near me and kill her immediately, I get hacked so I retreat off the map behind the ledge. Their Doomfist, Sombra, And Ana walk to the ledge trying to race each other on who gets to finish off the hacked Pharah. Hack wears just in time, rocket jump up and boop all 3 off the map.

Best 2v6 loss ever.

Mercy's 30-Second Resurrection alone makes her a no-brainer pick over Ana.

Yes, Ana has her sleep dart to defend herself, but good luck with utilizing it when it can get countered by barriers, or someone on your team (either by accident or otherwise) wakes up the snoozin' target. With how she is, Ana's a free meal ticket for the flankers and/or the Dive Tanks.

Which is why I said above that Ana needs some kind of balance change to offset the difficulty curve that is required to play her (which she had before her DMG potential was taken away, and was left with the weaknesses without the strengths). Ana was a utility sniper who had to make choices between healing and damage, who in all honesty, really just needed her healing reined back a bit. Instead, she is a hero that's best described as "High risk, little reward" in the current climate, and you'd be a fool to pick her.

Sounds like youre just bad at ana. Her sleep dart has a very high success rate for me and the enemy teams i play against(as ot should considering the hitbox is like 5x the size of the visible player model)

Nepenthe

Mercy is basically the only support that can get away with solo healing with the least amount of complaining from people concerned about team comps. In all but the most skilled hands, she trounces the other supports in sheer utility and rewards. Rez is still a monster of an ability, and her rate of healing is difficult to outclass if that's what you're focusing on.

Which is fine by me. If she's gonna be in every match as a must pick, I might as well use her for practice peeling off from the team to kill bitches.

Overwatch Genji statue is now available to preorder. 11.75 inches at $150.00.

Does the Blizzard Gear store charge immediately? I don't have enough to spare for this but I really want it.

Chance

Overwatch Genji statue is now available to preorder. 11.75 inches at $150.00.

Does the Blizzard Gear store charge immediately? I don't have enough to spare for this but I really want it.

I'm pretty sure you're charged immediately. I'd have to dig into my CC info to verify but yeah - pretty sure. On the bright side they've been great about returns/that one time I ordered 2 Tracer Nendos but only 1 showed up but customs charged me the tax on 2.

Oh and the shipping to Canada was incredibly fast, and I think we can all agree that shipping is very important to this community.

juli4z.tumblr.gif

Blues1990

Sounds like youre just bad at ana. Her sleep dart has a very high success rate for me and the enemy teams i play against(as ot should considering the hitbox is like 5x the size of the visible player model)

Mercy simply pumps out a larger healing output than Ana (at this time, because who knows what the development team will do to Mercy in the upcoming months), along with providing abilities that give more value for her team. The recent APEX matches showcased Mercy and Zenyatta coming into the mix, which is a big thing, considering that Lucio is/was the golden child with a high pick/win rate.

There are a lot of things going against Ana at this time, and it really bums me out, as I prefer playing her than Mercy any day of the week.

Remember back in May when Blizzard said they weren't going to be doing new events (instead just making cosmetics for existing events), but the trade-off would be that we'd get more new content on a faster basis?

It's clear that isn't happening -- since May, we've received one character and two maps (one of which was presumably in development well before May). So is Blizzard working on something else? Maybe new game modes or a major balance patch that fixes the deeply-set balance problems inherent to the game?

Or are they just getting rich off loot boxes?

Blues1990

Remember back in May when Blizzard said they weren't going to be doing new events (instead just making cosmetics for existing events), but the trade-off would be that we'd get more new content on a faster basis?

It's clear that isn't happening -- since May, we've received one character and two maps (one of which was presumably in development well before May). So is Blizzard working on something else? Maybe new game modes or a major balance patch that fixes the deeply-set balance problems inherent to the game?

Or are they just getting rich off loot boxes?

We still haven't got that revamped POTG yet, so perhaps a lot of the team are working on something?

Gorillaz

The Ana/Sombra/Doomfist situation is so upsetting. It's not like pre buff Torb/Bastion/Sym where they're legitimately bad, they're actually good characters where the risk/reward for using and mastering them simply isn't worth it. Why play Ana when you can play Mercy, why play Sombra when you can play Genji, why play Doomfist when you can play literally any other dive character. They need buffs ASAP.

The way they handled the new characters other then the iron cow with the shield has been disappointing. Not geting that interested in a new character they will announce at Blizzcon because either the community will say stupid shit and ruin it or bliz will do that themselves.

2454 At the end of the day, a good streak of wins in a row, with some win/loses right at the end. Need to figure out what to do when the opponents have a reaper on their team, he seems to be the one ending things for me at present...

Not only is the high variance in play time bad, but constant res from Mercy makes the fights way more chaotic and difficult to follow. I only got to catch a little bit of APAC today and it was kind of a mess.

And I swear to god if Adam can't find a team I'll set the league on fire myself. He's maybe the second best player in the main support (Lucio) role in all of the west.

Custa is still without a team, as well. But he did move to Toronto suddenly a few months ago, so maybe Boston was in the offing all along?

If they make this change, Orisa will be OP. I'd like to see them make a change to her bongo (maybe invulnerable the first 5 seconds or something). That's about it.

Just get rid of the bongos and give her a Trample ult, where every other step she takes acts like a Winston landing. Give her Lucio speed while doing it.
Maybe have her kick behind her for her normal melee, while we're at it?

MCD

I'm still not clear on what D.Va's current role is supposed to be. Chasing down people who are out of position?

I destroy everyone with new D.VA. Reason why I'm Diamond now.

Tracer gets chased and melted. Healers get destroyed and our healers are no longer harrased. Who cares about eating ults when I can kill them faster and harder than our DPSs hahahaha.

And I didn't know that my Zen was this good? Rank 884? How accurate is this?

P.S. I hit Silver portrait last night. Officially no life. Thanks Jeff!

So the Halloween Event is the first time I've put serious time into the game since the Summer event. Did Sombra get a buff recently? I'm destroying with her

Yukinari

Event or not Mercy has killed all my motivation to play this game.

Think I'll stop until she's roadhog deleted.

Mystery Heroes used to be really good but the moment the other team gets one or even two mercys is when all fun stops.

Shes ruining momentum in matches and your whole team has to chase her down.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I don't really think Ana needs a buff, if anything, maybe make her ult have a secondary effect because a damage boost is trivial to neutralize in comparison to the other three. Give it a shield too or an instant regen on the unit. Maybe an AE effect.

It's just Mercy really needs Rez removed. She should be able to out heal the other three. She is the only one who can't attack while healing.

I actually feel like the healers are in a pretty good state otherwise, because each one operates pretty differently. But in the current situation, there is no reason to choose any of the others, over Mercy outside of Zarya ult protection.

I've pointed it out, but the bigger issue still are the defensive skills. Specifically ones like Deflect, Matrix, and Bubble. They neutralize too many abilities in their current state, for easily spammable effects. If Genji's can block almost every weapon, it wouldn't be as bad to kill him. Going through and putting more counters to them, should fix a lot of the issues with other classes as well. If he couldn't block things like Rockets, Energy blasts, etc. Suddenly, he can't just stand out in the middle of the map like a fool anymore. Alongside being able to blindly charge in and out for free.

Does anyone else completely loathe getting put on the same team as a boyfriend/girlfriend pair? It always feels like a miserable experience in one way or another.

I don't really think Ana needs a buff, if anything, maybe make her ult have a secondary effect because a damage boost is trivial to neutralize in comparison to the other three. Give it a shield too or an instant regen on the unit. Maybe an AE effect.

It's just Mercy really needs Rez removed. She should be able to out heal the other three. She is the only one who can't attack while healing.

I actually feel like the healers are in a pretty good state otherwise, because each one operates pretty differently. But in the current situation, there is no reason to choose any of the others, over Mercy outside of Zarya ult protection.

I've pointed it out, but the bigger issue still are the defensive skills. Specifically ones like Deflect, Matrix, and Bubble. They neutralize too many abilities in their current state, for easily spammable effects. If Genji's can block almost every weapon, it wouldn't be as bad to kill him. Going through and putting more counters to them, should fix a lot of the issues with other classes as well. If he couldn't block things like Rockets, Energy blasts, etc. Suddenly, he can't just stand out in the middle of the map like a fool anymore. Alongside being able to blindly charge in and out for free.
Couldn't the rez just be significantly worse?

It could be on a delay.
It could require channeling, like her beams.
It would only resurrect characters for a portion of their health so it isn't such a strong swing.
Characters could resurrect with their cooldowns at max so they can't have as much of an instant impact on a fight.

I feel like any one of these could make her more reasonable, and I'm sure there are plenty of other options that would work as well. The problem is that the move is an immediate, instant resurrect of a character to 100% health in the middle of a fight, completely negating all resources expended to kill that character. It just needs to be tempered in some way.

exYle

Or perhaps a speed boost

Now there's an idea

Does anyone else completely loathe getting put on the same team as a boyfriend/girlfriend pair? It always feels like a miserable experience in one way or another.

Couldn't the rez just be significantly worse?

It could be on a delay.
It could require channeling, like her beams.
It would only resurrect characters for a portion of their health so it isn't such a strong swing.
Characters could resurrect with their cooldowns at max so they can't have as much of an instant impact on a fight.

I feel like any one of these could make her more reasonable, and I'm sure there are plenty of other options that would work as well. The problem is that the move is an immediate, instant resurrect of a character to 100% health in the middle of a fight, completely negating all resources expended to kill that character. It just needs to be tempered in some way.

It's almost like they could make it an ultimate or something so she couldn't use it every 30 seconds.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
is there a reason the game occasionally throws you onto high ping servers? like, they can easily query that ahead of time. it's a waste of everyone's time when you just leave immediately on join.

Top Bottom