• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT9| There is no Cow Hero

LiK

Just yell at your teammates to die on point and if a battle is losing to just up and die for the Rez.

It also helps if your teammates are more aware of the situation and know when to die or retreat.

The Pooh method is tried and true...for the most part.

Kadin

Just reinstalled the game, haven't played in a long time since before I got a new video card and monitor. Any suggestions on how to best achieve 144fps with the below specs in 1080p?

i5-4690k
8GB
1070 SC

For some reason it seems the fps is capped at 60 even though I have the slider set to 144 in the settings.

antitrop

Damage Boosting is still preferable over Mercy's pistol for two main reasons:

1) Boost accelerates the Ult charge of the person being boosted
2) Switching between Healing Beam or Damage Boost is instantaneous, going back and forth between the pistol has a delay

Animetic's videos are cool and all, but she chooses flash and style over efficiency.

Yes, help me please when you spot Pharmercy. I hate it so much.

I help as much as I can (as Zarya) but the problem is if they're flying low enough for me to hurt the Pharmercy, chances are they're just doing cleanup duty, so even if I somehow kill both of them... they at minimum took out 2 of our teammates.

I'm gonna try to learn to play Bastion proper to help alleviate the issue. Also, there's gotta be some kind of sign/signal you can do to tell us you're getting off soldier (since no mic) or that you want to switch to Junk. I remember there was one game (like a week ago?) where we just gave up on countering Pharah (Volkskaya?) for some reason on point B, ND almost tilted because we had no actual counter (Pharah vs Pharah doesn't count) but we had counters on Point A (admittedly we botched it hard when they came at us full force).

Probably have to lose Lucio and add Ana to the mix. Drop Mercy and have a Zen as well. D.Va, Soldier, McRee.

In my case I'm not seeing myself playing Ana to counter pharmercy, takes too many shots to take one of them down and in the meantime I'm not healing my teammates. I'm also not that confident in my scope accuracy against enemies. I'd rather have a Lucio providing healing to the other 3 teammates (at the choke presumably) and having Mercy or Zen supporting the soldier at all times.

I really don't like McCree, especially compared to how good Bastion is now imo, but that's a decision the other dps will have to make. It takes pharah 3 direct shots to take him down, you can go to cover while healing if needed, and if they don't spot you you can just go turret mode and kill one of them in 2 seconds.

Thinking back to that Numbani game, I actually neutralized that Pharah pretty well. The very first fight I was in a stalemate with her for like a minute plus and no one could finish her off which had me thinking that it wasn't working. But the rest of the game I harassed the hell out of her and we won pretty decisively.

I think that might be my go to switch against Pharah.

Yup, if you are playing off-tank that's a really nice change to counter her. Good thing you and Scrub play her, if you guys are playing Zarya and we need the switch everything's fine.

LiK

I help as much as I can (as Zarya) but the problem is if they're flying low enough for me to hurt the Pharmercy, chances are they're just doing cleanup duty, so even if I somehow kill both of them... they at minimum took out 2 of our teammates.

I'm gonna try to learn to play Bastion proper to help alleviate the issue. Also, there's gotta be some kind of sign/signal you can do to tell us you're getting off soldier (since no mic) or that you want to switch to Junk. I remember there was one game (like a week ago?) where we just gave up on countering Pharah (Volkskaya?) for some reason on point B, ND almost tilted because we had no actual counter (Pharah vs Pharah doesn't count) but we had counters on Point A (admittedly we botched it hard when they came at us full force).

I think you're referring to Eichewalde. I didn't give up. I just switched to Junk cuz their tanks were just aggroing me hard as Soldier and I kept dying. I had to switch to Junk to kill the barriers since we kept getting pushed back. I assume other people can take up the role of taking out Pharah especially if we have Zarya since Pharah can't fly that high in Point B. I was already damaging her most of the way with my mines in the point but couldn't finish her off. I tend to switch to Junk there all the time and win there more than lose.

You have to start landing those bomb projectiles on Pharah as Zarya, stop throwing man!

I don't remember that game, there was that king's row game on attack, but besides I can't think of anything else.

I think you're referring to Eichewalde. I didn't give up. I just switched to Junk cuz their tanks were just aggroing me hard as Soldier and I kept dying. I had to switch to Junk to kill the barriers since we kept getting pushed back. I assume other people can take up the role of taking out Pharah. I was already damaging her most of the way with my mines in the point but couldn't finish her off.

Oh I remember that one. IMO Pharah isn't good on attack in that last point, and I really love junk there on defense, when I play solo comp I've switched to him there even having barely played him at all in the season (think I've made a few comments here about that). I think we had a Tracer there too.

In my case I'm not seeing myself playing Ana to counter pharmercy, takes too many shots to take one of them down and in the meantime I'm not healing my teammates. I'm also not that confident in my scope accuracy against enemies. I'd rather have a Lucio providing healing to the other 3 teammates (at the choke presumably) and having Mercy or Zen supporting the soldier at all times.

I really don't like McCree, especially compared to how good Bastion is now imo, but that's a decision the other dps will have to make. It takes pharah 3 direct shots to take him down, you can go to cover while healing if needed, and if they don't spot you you can just go turret mode and kill one of them in 2 seconds.

Thing is I'm learning to play Ana. She does great in heals even if she can't aim at the Pharmercy combo. But if she can she can do both. Zen adds to it.

I know you don't want to give up the Lucio... I don't want to give up the Mercy but I did and it helped us win games yesterday. But a Lucio against a Pharmercy seems like it wouldn't help hard countering it.

Bastion would be a good addition since I only listed 5 heroes.

Also just spam hello LiK when you switch. So we know.

I spammed hello as Mercy coming from spawn so someone could meet me and I can get to the point quicker. But I don't think anyone picked up on it and if they did they were in battle.

LiK

Thing is I'm learning to play Ana. She does great in heals even if she can't aim at the Pharmercy combo. But if she can she can do both. Zen adds to it.

I know you don't want to give up the Lucio... I don't want to give up the Mercy but I did and it helped us win games yesterday. But a Lucio against a Pharmercy seems like it wouldn't help hard countering it.

I spammed hello as Mercy coming from spawn so someone could meet me and I can get to the point quicker. But I don't think anyone picked up on it and if they did they were in battle.

Heh, I assume switching itself would make you guys notice. But I'll do that next time. I always pay attention to the hero switching text on the screen. But I'll spam next time.

It's not a matter of giving up on lucio, my healing with him is only second to mercy. You don't want two healers helping with pharah, and since we are talking about defense I'd rather have Lucio than anyone else with the rest of the team, since I can provide healing while dealing with flankers/doing damage and also to be able to drop the beat in case we need it.

It's not a matter of giving up on lucio, my healing with him is only second to mercy. You don't want two healers helping with pharah, and since we are talking about defense I'd rather have Lucio than anyone else with the rest of the team, since I can provide healing while dealing with flankers/doing damage and also to be able to drop the beat in case we need it.

Ana can do the same but has the added benefit of doing long range if it calls for it. Not saying that Ana just needs to be on Pharmercy... The primaries on that are Soldier and Zen. But it's important for other characters in the group to have the tools to assist if need be. Lucio I don't think calls for that.

Problem is if we switch as an entire group to counter Pharmercy, that still leaves four other enemy characters we aren't countering. Ideally there should be two people dedicated to that - likely some form of Soldier/Bastion/Zen/Mercy while the other 4 are dedicated to whatever else the team is playing.

komaruR

Just yell at your teammates to die on point and if a battle is losing to just up and die for the Rez.

It also helps if your teammates are more aware of the situation and know when to die or retreat.

rember the times that you didnt call out to me to die and I always miss the res? well it just further reinforce that I'm a resilient player! to the talk about mercy healing discussion we had at one night :p
But anyway, yea, yelling at the teammate to let them know theres a res incoming helps out to die faster lol. else you'll miss the rez bus!
Just reinstalled the game, haven't played in a long time since before I got a new video card and monitor. Any suggestions on how to best achieve 144fps with the below specs in 1080p?

i5-4690k
8GB
1070 SC

For some reason it seems the fps is capped at 60 even though I have the slider set to 144 in the settings.
Hmm a pc with a 1070sc should be more than enough to get you 144hz+ on 1080p even with max setting.
Make sure the nvidia control panel has vsync off and ingame too, to not get capped at 60. Nvidia control panel has like a program specific and global setting. for me in the program specific i just set it to use global and in global i turn off vsync.

I think you're referring to Eichewalde. I didn't give up. I just switched to Junk cuz their tanks were just aggroing me hard as Soldier and I kept dying. I had to switch to Junk to kill the barriers since we kept getting pushed back. I assume other people can take up the role of taking out Pharah especially if we have Zarya since Pharah can't fly that high in Point B. I was already damaging her most of the way with my mines in the point but couldn't finish her off. I tend to switch to Junk there all the time and win there more than lose.

Yes! It was Eichenwalde, we didn't notice the switch until it was way too late. Not that it was a bad switch, but when there's no hitscans all of a sudden, we have to adjust our playstyles (play more defensive).

You have to start landing those bomb projectiles on Pharah as Zarya, stop throwing man!

I don't remember that game, there was that king's row game on attack, but besides I can't think of anything else.

Oh I remember that one. IMO Pharah isn't good on attack in that last point, and I really love junk there on defense, when I play solo comp I've switched to him there even having barely played him at all in the season (think I've made a few comments here about that). I think we had a Tracer there too.

I land a mortar on Pharah approx every 30 games, I say that's pretty good! (only one ever died with 60% charge)

Now I remember why you didn't tilt, that Pharah was getting destroyed on that last point :p, even with no real counters.

Heh, I assume switching itself would make you guys notice. But I'll do that next time. I always pay attention to the hero switching text on the screen. But I'll spam next time.

It's too hectic, I get tunnel vision. I see a Mercy, I either kill her or her team kills me... no in between! No but seriously, we all miss important details. How many times have we heard "Oh shit, there's a Roadhog behind us"... 8 seconds later "Oh wtf, there's a Roadhog behind us" *another person* "Guys, there's a Roadhog behind us, lets punish him!"

LiK

We just need one person to help me with Pharmercy. Not the entire team. Zen is preferred so whoever is Zen should be Discording her and shooting her. Ignore the enemy tanks. As long as she's distracted, I won't be focused on so I can kill her. If she keeps killing me, she's going on uncontested anyway.

antitrop

Lucio seems too good now to leave off most teams tbh. Even if I can't play him, he's just really damn good.

Zen, Mercy, and Sym stay fucking losing

That Lucio is more of a healer than a speed bot now fits my playstyle better, though. I call myself a Support main, but realistically I'm a Healer main. I don't play Sym and I don't like playing Speed Lucio.

Problem is if we switch as an entire group to counter Pharmercy, that still leaves four other enemy characters we aren't countering. Ideally there should be two people dedicated to that - likely some form of Soldier/Bastion/Zen/Mercy while the other 4 are dedicated to whatever else the team is playing.

I'm thinking it should be Ana, Zen, Soldier, Sombra, D.Va, Genji.

If we go by Anne's comp for a Pharah they should have a Winston, Pharah, Tracer, Mercy, Lucio/Zen, Genji.

I think what I have in my list counters well. D.Va is still a beast against Winston, Sombra can hack Pharmercy combo and leave Tracers dead in the water, Soldier and Zen counter Pharmercy, Ana produces main heal out puts. Genji does Genji and nanoblade will be great.

KiraFA37

i5-4690k
8GB
1070 SC

I think you have vsync on while also having selected a resolution with 60Hz refresh rate. First check your vsync, secondly in the resolution settings ensure that the refresh rate is 144, its the number between brackets. If you have a 144hz monitor also ensure that the cable connected to the screen can support 144hz, when in doubt use displayport.

Ana can do the same but has the added benefit of doing long range if it calls for it. Not saying that Ana just needs to be on Pharmercy... The primaries on that are Soldier and Zen. But it's important for other characters in the group to have the tools to assist if need be. Lucio I don't think calls for that.

No she can't, you are either healing or doing damage. And you don't heal while being harassed by flankers. I also always prefered a defensive ult to nanosomething, but that's just me. Ana is hard to play on console and definitely not a pick I will make if I'm playing seriously on defense. I like her on attack though.

This.

I land a mortar on Pharah approx every 30 games, I say that's pretty good! (only one ever died with 60% charge)

Now I remember why you didn't tilt, that Pharah was getting destroyed on that last point :p, even with no real counters.

:)

Yeah she didn't do much there.

Lucio seems too good now to leave off most teams tbh. Even if I can't play him, he's just really damn good.

I'm gonna ask you to play him a few times though :p

Your winrate with him is a meme by now (like owzers charges) but obviously we all know that you are a good player.

If we go by Anne's comp for a Pharah they should have a Winston, Pharah, Tracer, Mercy, Lucio/Zen, Genji.

I think what I have in my list counters well. D.Va is still a beast against Winston, Sombra can hack Pharmercy combo and leave Tracers dead in the water, Soldier and Zen counter Pharmercy, Ana produces main heal out puts. Genji does Genji and nanoblade will be great.

Yeah that might not be a bad comp. Could also replace Sombra with Roadhog if we need more tank support: his hooks can neutralize most of the squishies on that kind of team.

As long as we are just talking. I REALLY dislike that team.

Seems kind of divey but no Lucio. One tank, and a bunch of small targets makes Ana a bad pick imo.

Maybe it would work, but in my head I see tons of issues. Especially because no one really specializes in many of those characters.

LiK

It feels good when I kill a Pharah enough that the enemy player gives up and plays someone else. But a Pharmercy combo is the worst. I might even switch to McCree in the future to counter her until the player gives up.

Kadin

Hmm a pc with a 1070sc should be more than enough to get you 144hz+ on 1080p even with max setting.
Make sure the nvidia control panel has vsync off and ingame too, to not get capped at 60. Nvidia control panel has like a program specific and global setting. for me in the program specific i just set it to use global and in global i turn off vsync.
Thanks. Turning off vsync unlocked the cap so that worked. But at Ultra I'm only getting upwards of mid 70's at least in the training map. I feel like this should be better. Dropped it down to High and then I was around 144 mostly. hmmm

Owzers

Either zen or Lucio has to die, we are not going to a Mercy/symmetra-less future.

Whenever you think of having a Zen, remember kings row and the thousands who died due to robot-kind.

KiraFA37

Thanks. Turning off vsync unlocked the cap so that worked. But at Ultra I'm only getting upwards of mid 70's at least in the training map. I feel like this should be better. Dropped it down to High and then I was around 144 mostly. hmmm

Check render scale, put this at 100%. I also have a 1070 and it puts my render scale at 140% if I let the game decided.

As long as we are just talking. I REALLY dislike that team.

Seems kind of divey but no Lucio. One tank, and a bunch of small targets makes Ana a bad pick imo.

Maybe it would work, but in my head I see tons of issues. Especially because no one really specializes in many of those characters.

Fair points. We could swap for a more tanky comp.

Kadin

Check render scale, put this at 100%. I also have a 1070 and it puts my render scale at 140% if I let the game decided.
Will do. Just realized the installer put it on my HDD instead of my SSD so that might have a slight impact as well, whoops.

edit: there we go, moved to SSD and dropped the render scale down. Now getting just under 144 on Epic. That was the difference... I'm an idiot.
edit2: Constant 150ish at Ultra. I think this will be the better option.

Either zen or Lucio has to die, we are not going to a Mercy/symmetra-less future.

Never again.
I really like Symm Lucio and Zen/Mercy on defense. The triple support is just dumb, she's not really a support and can wreck havoc. Still a niche pick, so just pick your battles and tell us when you are feeling the Symmetra pick.

We aren't getting rid of Mercy, before yesterday she was in literally every comp we ran. But being more flexible is helpful. She is still the best pure healer in the game and definitely has a place in our comps. Sometimes you just need some more damage especially with the trepidation to go DPS for many of our players.

BigDug13

Zen, Mercy, and Sym stay fucking losing

That Lucio is more of a healer than a speed bot now fits my playstyle better, though. I call myself a Support main, but realistically I'm a Healer main. I don't play Sym and I don't like playing Speed Lucio.

They lowered his buff to 30% instead of the 50% he had on PTR. Is the 16 healing a second with 46 amp really so much more amazing than the 12.5 with 36 amp he had before? Seems like the 19 healing a second he had on PTR with 54 amp made him into more of a legit healer.

LiK

Symm is not "support". She's not a healer so people saying it's triple support and are against it when she's picked with two healers does sorta annoy me. She can quickly melt squishies on Defense.

Zen Aku

The frustrating thing about Pharmercy is that I feel like we do everything correctly, we have the counters, we focus her. And it's still a huge pain in the ass.

I really don't know what the solution is. If the Pharmercy players are above average then its just really fucking hard to stop.

All you really need is someone who is a much better Soldier/McCree or an above average DVA and Soldier to stop that combo.

Dva dive up at the Pharah blocking her shots, while Soldier shoot at Mercy. Or alternatively get a godlike Ana who can sleep the Pharah.

antitrop

They lowered his buff to 30% instead of the 50% he had on PTR. Is the 16 healing a second with 46 amp really so much more amazing than the 12.5 with 36 amp he had before? Seems like the 19 healing a second he had on PTR with 54 amp made him into more of a legit healer.

Even DSP "Heals are for the weak" Stanky is using healing aura and amping it more than he did before, so I guess yes.

Whenever you think of having a Zen, remember kings row and the thousands who died due to robot-kind.

My record with Sym in QP is 110-40.

I don't think I've played as her more than twice in competitive. :/

Zen Aku

You can't substitute a healer for Sym in higher ranks unless you're running a Mercy, Torb, Sym as your core group AND it has to be a map where there's a small choke like Hanamura or Volkaya.

Even then, a better coordinated team can tear it apart with a widow who can get a pick or a diving, Winston and Genji on to that Sym.

So yeah, most of the time "cheesing it" doesn't work out well for the defending team.

antitrop

Genji's Dragonblade is getting a buff/fix

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20753995404?page=8#post-152

Geoff Goodman said:
So looking into this more, it looks like the issue some people are seeing is due to a different bug fix.

Before the last major patch, the amount of sword swings you could get changed depending on your latency. Strangely, if you had higher latency you could swing more often. This bug was fixed, which caused some players to suddenly get less swings than they were used to.

Looking into this bug in more detail, the ping threshold before you could gain a single extra swing was somewhat low, so many people probably got used to 7 swings rather than 6.

With that in mind we're going to increase his swing speed overall so he'll gain that 7th swing back for all players, regardless of latency. I'm not entirely sure when we can get that update into the players hands, but we'll make sure its in the patch notes when it hits.

Sorry for the confusion.

komaruR

yea, render scale to 100%. game tends to increase for me on default too. it did that on the last update too.

if me, il trade a winston with that sombra and dive the f out of that pharah comp's support. they got squishy genju that monkey aint afraid of. and winston has mobility with dva to get the f out (back to ana for heals) when enemy's discord is doing work.
but also having own pharah to deal with that kinda comp that has no counter is good too.

Top Bottom