• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch's Laughably Convenient Ageism / Sexism

Insaniac

it'd be interesting to see some more variety in the age and appearance of the female characters (as in more aged) I wonder what kind of role that character would take.

Syril

Has Blizzard ever featured a aesthetically older woman in a game? Even in Warcraft I'm only remembering a young and naively idealistic female cast.
The only ones I can think of are a couple of "wise old woman" NPCs in Diablo II, which is hard to count because the sprites of NPCs tended to obscure details.

It feels like blizzard deliberately chose not to show age in a significant manner, regardless of gender. Most characters exhibit very little signs of aging and those who do generally have a mask to cover it up.

If I recall correctly, the only vanilla skin'd character that shows age is the balding soldier76?

hadn't really gotten into the deeper lore of Overwatch so the examples in the OP regarding and Tracer and Mei are new to me; and absolutely ludicrous.

It feels like blizzard deliberately chose not to show age in a significant manner, regardless of gender. Most characters exhibit very little signs of aging and those who do generally have a mask to cover it up.
both 76 and Reinhardt have voice clips and/or animations that directly call their age into focus, i don't think they're necessarily hiding it.

Ivan 3414

Yeah, this is why I'm going to assume that she will have an alternate outfit that shows her unmasked based on how they've been doing it for other characters (if the look in those few pieces that have been floating around is what they're going for).

You know, I hope so too, but, if Sombra does have an unmasked alt, I'd put my money on it being a "past" Sombra, or Sombra as she was when she was "alive" and young. Reaper's unmasked alt(Blackwatch Reyes) is a younger, non-"dead" version of him as well. In Reaper's default, if you look closely, his arm is considerably lighter now. Not sure exactly what that means but there certainly seems to be a physical change when he became Reaper. Only 76 has a non-young unmasked alt, but he's not supposed to be dead. Edit: Oh and Reinhardt too.

I would like to be wrong but an older, unmasked Sombra...don't see that happening =/

Good thread. Tracer and Mei's backstory in particular are just waaay too convenient. And obviously, this isn't just a Blizzard thing; it happens in many other games. However, it seems like Blizzard is pretty open to criticism. As long as we keep the discussion active, I'm sure they'll catch wind of it eventually.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah this is one of those things that can only be helped by more dialogue. Overwatch gets deserved credit for having women (and men) of various body types, which is something the industry has needed to get right for ages now, but the specific phenomenon the OP is describing is similar to a problem other hero based games like LoL and Dota often have where the male characters can run the full spectrum from "grizzled giant red axe man" to "rhinotaur" while the female characters are...mostly conventionally attractive and/or young? Its another permutation on the Naga Siren/Slardar problem
Naga-Siren-2.jpg

dota2_slardar_by_biggreenpepper-d64qg1g.jpg

(these are supposedly from the same "race")

LiK

I feel like there's more to Mercy's age than they're telling us, because she would literally have to be 7 years old when Overwatch was originally founded, which makes no sense with Mei's line that says she looks the same as back then.

Oh ok, if it's more of a lore thing, then yea.

Griss

Almost everyone in the Overwatch cast is attractive so I don't think it would be too out of place.

Yes, because of sexism and ageism, and so we need to dismantle the ideas that men are allowed to age naturally like fine wine but women should stay eternally youthful to remain attractive.

It's literally only that way because it is currently that way, and media has the power to change it.

I disagree. I believe it's a natural result of human biology, being that women of a certain age range are the most fertile. Therefore men find those women most attractive. The same doesn't hold true in reverse, so it's not a concern for women.

Things that are instinctive aren't sexist or ageist. They are natural. You won't educate people out of finding young, fertile women more beautiful than older ones. This is where I tend to depart with liberal thinking, I suppose.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Do people feel Mercy doesn't actually look like she's 37? Please note again that I agree that the lack of 45+ year old women in problematic.

---

Mei is 31? I thought she was a teenager. I was also surprised to learn that Mercy was in the original Overwatch team, yet she looks exactly the same.

She actually came in later actually. One of the stories was condensing 25 year time period without making it clear that it was and it confused quite a few people.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
You have a point but tbh I couldn't care less about it. I like the characters in the game the way they are

Yeah...it's kind of ridiculous. Reminds me of fighting games,

The character designer of the game is Arnold Tsang of Udon... so the Capcom fighting game influences are pretty obvious.

Anyway the first post launch character is Sombra- who I believe is Pharah's mother... so this whole topic was kind of over before it even started.... She's a cyborg like Genji, but under the mask the character is technically an "old lady".

It definitely happens, but I dunno if it needs a word that brings to mind sexism and racism. Not really on the same scale.

Well you're free to use "prejudice towards age" or "age discrimination" however ageism is a much more convenient thing to say or type while getting across the same idea.

Do people feel Mercy doesn't actually look like she's 37? Please note again that I agree that the lack of 45+ year old women in problematic.

No I would have never guessed 37 from that or any images I've seen of her. Not saying 37 can't look like that, just that I wouldn't have assumed 35+.

OSHAN

Besides the dwarf, I never really thought about the ages in Overwatch, probably because until I read the OP, I had no idea about the story. There really hasn't been a game like Overwatch that I've enjoyed so much but also had zero interest completely in the story. Everyone just kinda looks like the same age.

With that said, good op. Pretty interesting info.

Izayoi

Banned
Though the same thing happens in other "hero" games. All of the girls in Dota 2 are hot except for like, Broodmother. I'm gonna assume the same is true for LoL.
Never even thought about this, but I'm sure it's the case. Anyone who plays League here who can confirm? When I stopped playing, the roster was pretty much exclusively younger women, as far as I can recall.

Steejee

I had a similar discussion with a friend a while back who was strangely focused on the lack of black representation in Mad Max: Fury Road.

Although it's weird that there's no major black characters in Fury Road, the movie is set in Australia, which has a very small black population, so it's not too illogical. Don't know if there were any black people (or any non-white people in general) in the crowds.

As for an older female character that would be awesome, you could base someone off Helen Mira, Gillian Anderson, or Sigourney Weaver. All would be great templates for an older, hardened/wisened woman but would still check off their 'No Uglies' box.

Jobbs

Banned

She has an idealized young woman's body and no visible wrinkles or other age signifiers. She could plausibly be 37 but she never struck me as being as old as that. I would have assumed 30 or under like all the other "sexy" girls in the game

I disagree. I believe it's a natural result of human biology, being that women of a certain age range are the most fertile. Therefore men find those women most attractive. The same doesn't hold true in reverse, so it's not a concern for women.

Things that are instinctive aren't sexist or ageist. They are natural. You won't educate people out of finding young, fertile women more beautiful than older ones. This is where I tend to depart with liberal thinking, I suppose.
Just like how men need multiple partners, right?

How do gay people and lesbians fit in to your theory?

Derpot

I talked a bit about it in another topic about Feminist Frequency some weeks ago:

Ya know, it would be cool and refreshing if the game could include an old woman too.
I mean, the oldest female character at the moment is 37-year-old (Mercy) and the oldest male one is 61 (Reinhardt). It's as if ,for some developers, women who are more than 40-year-old is a no-no lol

I mean, we can have badass old men, but there aren't many badass old women in video games in general (fighting games are a good example). Even in LoL, which is a game that has many, many characters, there isn't any old woman.

So yeah, we need it.

5qR5ZHN.jpg

Ripenen

Aren't these characters running about and engaging in fast-paced combat? That type of activity is much better suited to younger people, just like you see younger people in professional sports. I guess you could have an older person with bionic implants or something.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF

Kinsei

Banned
It is certainly a bit jarring in comparison to the men. Hopefully Sombra has a maskless alt that doesn't de-age her.

I feel like there's more to Mercy's age than they're telling us, because she would literally have to be 7 years old when Overwatch was originally founded, which makes no sense with Mei's line that says she looks the same as back then.

She also has that emote where she checks her pulse and there's nothing there. There's definitely more to Mercy than meets the eye.

is all this lore in the game? blizzard needs to add some single player content a la hearthstone

It comes from the official website, animated shorts, comics, and dialogue in game.

not even tryina be edgy, i had no idea "ageism" was a real thing

It's a serious problem, especially in the workplace. Older workers have very weak protection under the law and can often be bullied out of holding a job and end up with no recourse. The EEOC knows that it is extremely hard to win an age discrimination case and barely tries. It's a very sad situation. Kind of OT, but yeah, ageism is a real thing.

Good point, OP.

I think you're going to hit a nerve with many folks here, but your point is legit. It's one of those things you barely even notice anymore because it's so normal for older women to be wholly ignored in gaming/media.

I doubt Blizzard is even aware of it. They'll be the first to respond to the sentiment by designing a kick-ass mature female character, I bet.

Just goes to show we've got a long way to go, still.

sharpzero

Banned
Can we just stop all of this pointing fingers garbage. We're guys and we notoriously like younger women. Why? Because biologically they produce better (or in some cases more frequent) quality off-spring.

Its not sexist its natural science, asking them to stop is asking all men to apologize for being men. Yes, guys can be sexist pigs but that's more of a personal choice not a biological pre-determined decision.

If you want your game to sell you have two choices.

Make a game with an amazing story and fluid mechanics (that make sense) -> Undertale
or
Make a game with a shitty story and "beautiful" women -> DOA: Extreme Volleyball

They both sell and that's the point, don't like it don't buy it.

TaterTots

Banned

---

She actually came in later actually. One of the stories was condensing 25 year time period without making it clear that it was and it confused quite a few people.

She looks like she is in her 30's imo. People in their 30's typically do not look like they are 50 years old.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I made a slight correction to the OP about Tracer (she came in near the end), but this should not detract from the OP's overall point.

Interfectum

Good point, OP.

I think you're going to hit a nerve with many folks here, but your point is legit. It's one of those things you barely even notice anymore because it's so normal for older women to be wholly ignored in gaming/media.

I doubt Blizzard is even aware of it. They'll be the first to respond to the sentiment by designing a kick-ass mature female character, I bet.

Just goes to show we've got a long way to go, still.

Yeah.

I'm struggling to think of any post 50 female hero in the MCU.

n5IPKp3.jpg

Sapientas

Never even thought about this, but I'm sure it's the case. Anyone who plays League here who can confirm? When I stopped playing, the roster was pretty much exclusively younger women, as far as I can recall.
Stopped a while ago too but yeah the roster was full of body and age diversity with males, but nothing of that with females. Lissandra might be a exception though it doesn't really fits right either.

KLoWn

Some people are never fuckin happy...

How about we just let Blizzard's artists do the characters they want to do without starting to cry about that this and that isn't represented. This is pathetic at this point.

Top Bottom