• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch's Laughably Convenient Ageism / Sexism

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I love Overwatch but this is a great point. I think Overwatch has some other more general diversity issues in its cast (it's very American and Euro centric, African/Latino heroes don't have lines in their native languages unlike the European heroes, etc.), but that's for another thread.

Reinhardt is an old geezer, Roadhog has an incredibly unattractive body type, Torbjorn is hella short, Junkrat looks like an anorexic crazy person, yet every female in the game (bar Zarya) is an incredibly fit, slim, attractive beauty.

MartyStu

This...is actually a really good point. Not an Overwatch-specific issue, but the game is still frustratingly exemplifies it.

Harlequin

If it were just making the characters certain ages, that'd be one thing (it still wouldn't be okay, though) but actually making them older and then coming up with such ridiculous, contrived excuses for why they don't look their age? That just makes this whole thing all the more idiotic.

Henkka

Banned
Not real life but

Grizzled military like the Boss from MGS3

An older version of Nadine from Uncharted 4

Maybe an older witch type character (though probably be called out for sexist "of course she's a witch")

Older Ripley character from Alien

There's a bunch of stuff they could do.

Boss is a good one. I can definitely imagine an Overwatch character that had her features, only a bit more cartoony.

NotLiquid

Interestingly enough, Sayuri is in Senran Kagura, is playable, and is a badass:

eWC9pMc.jpg

DK8znQP.jpg

So if god damned Senran Kagura can do it, I don't see why Overwatch can't. Sounds like a good idea.

Not an entirely flawless example since her Shinobi Transformation is essentially turning into her younger self where she's just as risque as everyone else, but still a solid point nonetheless.

But there are old men in the game and not older women because those don't make good waifus.
I don't want to play as old men either. I'm guessing we'll probably get Samba to balance it out though. If she's supposed to be Pharah's mother that would be super creepy if they're close to the same age.

dan2026

You'll notice that the only characters that could be considered ugly or unattractive are men as well.
Ie Roadhog and (maybe) Torbyorn.

Hell most of the female characters look like models.

You only named two males, one of which is barely human.

If you want to complain about women looking sexy then do so without the contrived arguments.

LiK

You'll notice that the only characters that could be considered ugly or unattractive are men as well.

Roadhog is incredibly handsome without his mask. :p

Prelude.

But there are old men in the game and not older women because those don't make good waifus.
Absolutely unrealistically idealistic old men, they're buff as fuck. And Torb is basically a dwarf, that pretty much comes with that archetype.

If they tried to do that with women everyone would complain because it's sexist. "No 50ish years old woman looks like that!" "5000 yo dragon" etc. Which is happening with, for example, Mercy, with people saying she doesn't look 37.

Derpot

Why do some people say "nobody wants to play an ugly and old character"? This is so ridiculous and so not true.
If the character has a good personality, design and is fun to play, of course people are gonna play them.
Jeez, if nobody liked old/ugly characters, nobody would play as Junkrat, Roadhog or Torbjörn.

KLoWn

Yeah, because complaining about lack of varied body representation got us nowhere and was a waste of time... We should just be happy with whatever!
Yes you should, it's not your game. You don't get to tell the artists what they should make. If you don't like it don't buy it.

That said, I'm all for a diverse cast in games. You can have all different kinds of ages, colors and races in the game and I'll be 100% fine with it (why wouldn't I be). What I'm not fine with is when people constantly tells other people what they should put in their games or else they'll get offended and start to cry about it. The artists clearly made the characters they wanted to make, and that's the way it should be. Maybe they'll make more old people down the line so you'll be happy.

I believe Blizzard was made aware of this problem partially through development, after which they made Zarya. They're trying to fix it I think.

Why do some people say "nobody wants to play an ugly and old character"? This is so ridiculous and so not true.
If the character has a good personality, design and is fun to play, of course people are gonna play them.
Jeez, if nobody liked old/ugly characters, nobody would play as Junkrat, Roadhog or Torbjörn.
Those characters are just ugly, not old.

Overwatch having a fairly diverse group of characters doesn't make it immune to criticism, and if anything, highlights how far we still have to go. I mean, we're talking about one of the shining examples of diversity in gaming not featuring a woman who looks a day over 30. We'll see what the rumored new character brings, but it is something noteworthy.
This is true, and even more when they clearly have female characters pushing 40s, they have ugly males in this game while all the women are beautiful, it's like that sitcom rule that men can be fat and flawed but the wives of said men must be young and hot, disgraceful.

MartyStu

I love Overwatch but this is a great point. I think Overwatch has some other more general diversity issues in its cast (it's very American and Euro centric, African/Latino heroes don't have lines in their native languages unlike the European heroes, etc.), but that's for another thread.

Reinhardt is an old geezer, Roadhog has an incredibly unattractive body type, Torbjorn is hella short, Junkrat looks like an anorexic crazy person, yet every female in the game (bar Zarya) is an incredibly fit, slim, attractive beauty.

And Mei.

To Blizzard's defense, all the women are beautiful in very different ways, so at least thats something.

Yeah nobody wanted to play as Joel in Last of Us.

I didn't... I wanted to play as a little girl stealthing it up cuz she's too weak to confront anybody up close... for realsies. game only offered few moments of that and even then only by the time I already dropped the game from boredom.

Jobbs

Banned
THe discussion of the story is silly to me for some reaosn. It's just a bunch of dumb schlock to prop up a battle game and as a waifu generator (as supported by all the ridiculous reasons that the women still appear young like being frozen)

I wouldn't think any of it through too much but it would be nice if they'd be a bit less shameless

mindsale

I don't want to play as old men either. I'm guessing we'll probably get Samba to balance it out though. If she's supposed to be Pharah's mother that would be super creepy if they're close to the same age.

Hah, Sombra was hanging out with Tracer in a slipstream, then was cryonically frozen, then it turns out she had Benjamin Button disease, and now she looks like a 16 year-old Pixie. But it's a medical condition, so 56-year old woman still represented.

ACE 1991

Fine, and that's okay. The point is the game included one representation but not the other. We'll see about Samba, though!

kswiston

I never really thought about this. On one hand, soldiers are mostly young in general. On the other, if they can have old men, they can probably have old women too.

Yeah.

I'm struggling to think of any post 50 female hero in the MCU.

n5IPKp3.jpg

Mei's actress is over 50 if you are counting the TV stuff.

That said, there aren't many men over 50 either. RDJ, Don Cheadle, and SLJ I think. SLJ is the only one who started over 50 when they were cast.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Does that actively keep you from picking Reinhart and Torbjorn?

Zaventem

Junkrat is pretty cute to me in a crazy archetype way. And roadhog doesn't even show his face so i already caught the fat shamers in this thread. Let's see them try to dodge this one.

-Amon-

It's entirely possible to enjoy something while also being able to provide it with constructive criticism, so it can be even better.

To make a game that makes noone offended by the lack of a certain minority or race or age or caractheristic would require a roster of 300 ~

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
May I ask where the Muslims are?

We're underrepresented in gaming, almost none in positive terms, where is it in Overwatch?

I would assume Pharah is a Muslim given that she's Egyptian. However religions aren't really highlighted at all in Overwatch. The bigger issue here, which I highlighted earlier, is that the cast of heroes is incredibly America and Euro centric. There are only two heroes from Africa or Latin America (Pharah, Lucio), while everyone else is basically from America, Europe, and Australia. Asia has some good representation (Japan, China), but that's not a new thing for video games.

There are actually more non-human heroes than there are African or Latino heroes.

"non-ludotypical body types for women"

what does this even mean ?

ludo and non-ludotypical are not defined and show zero search results in google.

someone educate me right quik

Beartruck

Mercy being 37 doesnt really make sense age wise to me since shes a founding member. Not that it matters, as the fanbase views her as the 'mom' of the game.

Tracer being youthful thanks to time shenanigans doesn't seem like an asspull to keep her at "waifu" levels considering timeand what it did to her is linked to her entire character. Mercy to me looks like she's in her thirties, she's just really attractive. I can see the argument for Mei though.

I'd be cool with older female characters personally, as long as they aren't lame characters. I'd rather have a cool older female over edgelords like Widowmaker (and Reaper if we count the men) any day.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
"non-ludotypical body types for women"

what does this even mean ?

ludo and non-ludotypical are not defined and show zero search results in google.

someone educate me right quik

Ludo just refers to play, I think they just mean they're body types we don't play as much

Torbjörn is 57.

Soldier 76 and Reinhardt (who is 61) are also old but they wear a mask/helmet.

There is a Reinhard skin:

Where its really lacking is in African and South American representation. One character each is a bit ridiculous, I hope they improve on that

I guess we will see them in the future. Right now such a complaint just feels like "my contintent isnt represented yet that well. There is Lucio now and I am quite sure we will get some south american one considering Dorado as a map.

nOoblet16

Pharah is 32 and is the only woman who looks her age, everyone else has some stuff going for them to make them look younger or are just young....except Mercy.

At 37 she is one of the oldest Overwatch character in the game and yet she does not look the part. Even weird when she asks Mei how she looks so young and Mei answers Cryo freeze, despite the fact that Mercy looks young eventhough she didn't go through that nor did she go through the time warp thing Tracer did.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
To be fair, the only visibly old male is a dwarf.
Hanzo may be 48, but definitely looks 30ish.
The contrivances in the OP are.. peculiar, though.

Top Bottom