• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"P.T" Interactive teaser up on PSN Store

Status
Not open for further replies.
ibrkPhVy7R2I7k.gif

I'm going to cry :(
Haven't played the PT, been watching twitch, this is great! I haven't ever been excited for a game like this!
But, I still going to cry while I play.

How long should I be standing at each spot? Just for one ghost cycle?

In my experience, it took anywhere from 5 minutes to 20 minutes to get the second giggle. I also noticed that one time I stood at the bathroom mirror, and nothing happened, so for the next cycle I went to the radio and stood there, and nothing happened, then I went BACK to the bathroom mirror for the next cycle, and that time it worked.

So I'm not sure exactly on how it decides which spot will work.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Playing this teaser with good headphones at night was so damn intense. Just imagine playing this with Morpheus/Oculus. I would literally lose my shit.

Tadale

I'm really glad I went in not knowing what to expect. I've played a lot of horror games, and PT unnerved me more than anything in a long time. I really appreciated the simplicity of it - every time I went through a loop, I always dreaded what might have changed. Very smart way to make something very complex with not a lot of resources.

But after like an 1.5 hours of wandering around the last loop trying to get the phone to ring, I was completely taken out of the experience. Still, I think I appreciate the fact that they obscured the true ending and the reveal at the end more than I was frustrated with not being able to find it for myself.

The whole experience of the game and the announcement of Silent Hills is one of my favorite things anyone has ever done in gaming. What a great way to introduce a game.

glottis8

Banned
OK this is the thing i seen at the Clock

oooo... i thought it was a new scare you were talking about haha.

But after like an 1.5 hours of wandering around the last loop trying to get the phone to ring, I was completely taken out of the experience. Still, I think I appreciate the fact that they obscured the true ending and the reveal at the end more than I was frustrated with not being able to find it for myself.

The whole experience of the game and the announcement of Silent Hills is one of my favorite things anyone has ever done in gaming. What a great way to introduce a game.

I agree... and i doubt this will be the case for the game. All other puzzles were straight forward. some might want you to slow down and explore. but eventually it made sense. The last one is just them trying to lag people into figuring it out, and i hope this will not be the norm. I've been to so many streams that have turned the game off out of frustration.

But then.. kojima did say the purpose of this game was to get people talking about it and get together to try to figure out. I think he's been really successful. I have to agree too tho.. what a way to introduce the game. I was annoyed at the announcement coming from a twitch stream.. but the more i looked into it and played it it just made sense. Lots of fun so far figuring it out, getting scared, and looking at other people getting scared.

Well, this game broke me when I played it the first time and it didn't take long. God damn I've never had a game that genuinely made me this tense before. I was playing it with my girlfriend, thought it would be fun to have her play it while I watched. The first time we saw the ghost she just stood still and refused to touch the controller anymore so I picked it up and continued. After getting 'killed' for the first time I ended up turning it off just because I felt exhausted from the stress.

We are planning to continue playing it and want to get all the way through but god damn, bravo Kojima.I think the lighting in the game being so amazing really adds a lot to how scary it all is.

panda-zebra

I walked up to the phone, paused the game and just left it like that
after about 8 minutes the second laugh came while I was in the pause menu
I unpaused and left the controller alone
then it started buzzing etc etc

Thanks, with the amount of times I got this to work and others posting I'm confident it's 100% repeatable, the timing is the only thing that varies and you have to just wait it out (it's OK to go away for a long time and assume the giggle happened).

Playing this teaser with good headphones at night was so damn intense. Just imagine playing this with Morpheus/Oculus. I would literally lose my shit.

Imagine the fun you could have sneaking into a room where someone had that on their head... oh the possibilities...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
OK this is the thing i seen at the Clock

Yeah, that's just a place she sometimes spawns, and if you walk up to her she does that. Nothing to do with the clock.

Thanks, with the amount of times I got this to work and others posting I'm confident it's 100% repeatable, the timing is the only thing that varies and you have to just wait it out (it's OK to go away for a long time and assume the giggle happened).

Is the pausing necessary?

red731

Well, this game broke me when I played it the first time and it didn't take long. God damn I've never had a game that genuinely made me this tense before. I was playing it with my girlfriend, thought it would be fun to have her play it while I watched. The first time we saw the ghost she just stood still and refused to touch the controller anymore so I picked it up and continued. After getting 'killed' for the first time I ended up turning it off just because I felt exhausted from the stress.

We are planning to continue playing it and want to get all the way through but god damn, bravo Kojima.I think the lighting in the game being so amazing really adds a lot to how scary it all is.

Fuckin lol. Hohokum it is. Imma nope out of playing this at 22:23 now
KuGsj.gif

Tomorrow is Friday and I can weep all weekend in the freaking corner after playing this tomorrow.
Thanks for the impressions!

Manu

I think it's worth mentioning that when I beat it I got some messages on my screen like the ones you get with the picture pieces, but they just happened by themselves. The messages were different too.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
The lighting absolutely is one of the biggest elements in this teaser. The Fox Engine shines like no other in that regard like I knew it would from watching their extensive talk on how they do their lighting in that engine. Really fascinating stuff and seems like all that hard work and actual research to get it right is paying off.

Hats off to everyone involved with this playable teaser.

I'm really glad I went in not knowing what to expect. I've played a lot of horror games, and PT unnerved me more than anything in a long time. I really appreciated the simplicity of it - every time I went through a loop, I always dreaded what might have changed. Very smart way to make something very complex with not a lot of resources.

Yep, you hit the nail on the head. The obscure nature of the ending just left a sour taste in my mouth. If the demo was a relatively straight-forward experience through this house, I would have been blown-away. Instead, I just got frustrated and gave up, which took me out of the game and dampened my enthusiasm somewhat.

glottis8

Banned
i am trying to come up with 500$ so i can play this before they remove it. funny how a demo saved the ps4.

Saved? Pardon me?

I know right... maybe he is not aware that the PS4 sold 10 mill already WW.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/08/12/ps4-10-million-and-going-strong/

t the PlayStation 4 has sold through more than 10 million units worldwide –- and more than 30 million PS4 games have been sold –- since its launch less than nine months ago.

panda-zebra

Is the pausing necessary?

No idea, but it works, simply sitting there doing nothing might work just as well but I'd have thought you'd have to then respond to the giggle within a set time rather than have the rumble/3rd giggle queued up waiting when you come back later and exit the menu during the next haunting.

XaosWolf

Yep, you hit the nail on the head. The obscure nature of the ending just left a sour taste in my mouth. If the demo was a relatively straight-forward experience through this house, I would have been blown-away. Instead, I just got frustrated and gave up, which took me out of the game and dampened my enthusiasm somewhat.

It's more the fact that even knowing to use the mic, there is seemingly no sensible clues indicating that we should do so.

Same for the 10 steps. No idea why that works besides "It just does."

KOMANI

KOMANI
I figured out the second giggle.

You have to predict where the haunting spot will be. She walks in a linear pattern. use surround sound to figure out where she's at, then where she'll be.

Schrade

I think one of the biggest helps for the experience of this is to not do what they say for the gamma slider levels. They tell you to move the slider until the skull on the right disappears. But if you do that you'll never see the painting that has dropped from the wall in the hallway. You need to move the slider so that the skull disappears and then bump it up a few notches from that so it's just barely visible.

Just watched the latest Spooking with Scoops, made it 40 minutes in before I just went nope.jpeg all up in that piece and closed the video.

The ambient sound just makes me want to curl up into a ball and shut everything out. They do an incredible job with lighting as well, just based on this teaser (lord knows if the full game will live up to what we've seen in the teaser).

Looking forward to seeing what this game will end up being.

BRKsEDU

Neo Member
I managed to get to the end of the teaser with the tactics posted here.

Mic always left on with a Total Biscuit video playing. Got the second giggle after 4 or 5 attempts. I was between the hallway entrance door and the radio when I got the second giggle.

vypek

You have to predict where the haunting spot will be. She walks in a linear pattern. use surround sound to figure out where she's at, then where she'll be.

Is that guaranteed? You can do this with no mic?

panda-zebra

So you can prove this? It's repeatable? You have a list of her locations in order?

How to beat it

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/fd4smo/silent-hills-teaser-trailer---how-to-beat-it

We finally did it! We share the love with some notes on how to achieve the seemingly impossible in the P.T. "Silent Hills" playable teaser!

Yeah, that's bullshit mostly. 10-steps and getting possessed then waiting by phone. It's not repeatable, people are going to see that and try to do exactly what happened there and get pissed off.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I keep standing at this phone. For eons I've been standing here. Forever I might stand here. This phone is my life now. And yet nothing happens. My life is nothing. I am nothing.

How to beat it

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/fd4smo/silent-hills-teaser-trailer---how-to-beat-it

We finally did it! We share the love with some notes on how to achieve the seemingly impossible in the P.T. "Silent Hills" playable teaser!

That doesn't tell me anything, except "look at random shit until something randomly happens". Which is totally unhelpful.

I would die. And I get the feeling this was sorta developed with Morpheus in mind. Imagine having to lean forward instead of R3. There would literally be heart attacks.

Tadale

I still loved it, though. There was more creativity in that tiny area than in the large majority of recent horror games. Probably the best sense the original Amnesia, and this was free and completely out of nowhere.

Yeah, that's bullshit mostly. 10-steps and getting possessed then waiting by phone. It's not repeatable, people are going to see that and try to do exactly what happened there and get pissed off.

That doesn't tell me anything, except "look at random shit until something randomly happens". Which is totally unhelpful.

Oh, ok...was hoping it would actually be helpful. I'm disappointed Gametrailers!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
WHY IS IT NOT WORKING FOR ME?! WHY?! I'm not buying this game when it's out. Too angry now. So much wasted time. And yet I can't stop.

WHY IS IT NOT WORKING FOR ME?! WHY?! I'm not buying this game when it's out. Too angry now. So much wasted time. And yet I can't stop.

This teaser is likely not representative of what the final game is and has no direct relation to the new Silent Hill. It's meant to be a standalone experience that reveals the trailer, nothing more (as far as we know).

vypek

This teaser is likely not representative of what the final game is and has no direct relation to the new Silent Hill. It's meant to be a standalone experience that reveals the trailer, nothing more (as far as we know).

Yeah, they mention this in the trailer if I recall correctly. But it sounds like it has some sort of connection. Is it maybe the story or something? Or is the only relation that the trailer is attached to the game and no story elements or gameplay mechanics are related at all

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Can you stream so we can watch what you're doing?

I'm not really doing anything! Mostly standing around, sometimes talking a bit (no idea if that does anything).

I just had some of those words randomly flash across the screen, and some "glitching". But no second giggle.

I know that. I'm saying I'm getting so angry at this shit that it's making me feel like boycotting the actual game. Although I probably won't.

Yeah, they mention this in the trailer if I recall correctly. But it sounds like it has some sort of connection. Is it maybe the story or something? Or is the only relation that the trailer is attached to the game and no story elements or gameplay mechanics are related at all

I'm guessing gameplay mechanics will all be different (more straightforward traditional Silent Hill, 3rd person, weapons and traditional interactions/no zooming to interact).

But I think the overall atmosphere and tone set by the teaser may remain in place.

Hoje0308

Banned
Alright, GAF, I'm about to fire this bitch back up to see if I can get a phone call. Have the potential triggers for the second laugh been put to a list yet?

vypek

I'm guessing gameplay mechanics will all be different (more straightforward traditional Silent Hill, 3rd person, weapons and traditional interactions/no zooming to interact).

But I think the overall atmosphere and tone set by the teaser may remain in place.

That could be it. :) The atmosphere and tone do seem plenty scary

Rosur

Man that first scare when you turn around after getting the flashlight damn...
I don't really get effected by scares but this games atmosphere and tone works so well to produce the scares.

Though do wish some of the puzzles were a bit more helpful in working out where to go/ what to do. I hope this is solved in the final game but only like this in this teaser as was meant to be a bit of a challenge.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

I would actually be disappointed if that's the case. I want a horror game just like this (except for the random shit). So damn immersive and scary. Sure, a 3rd person game can be creepy too, but just not like this. 1st person makes you feel much more like you're really there, and that's just more scary. In 3rd person you're just an observer, it's not really YOU that's being haunted by the ghost or whatever. Most of the scares in this thing wouldn't work nearly as well in 3rd person, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom