• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PA Report - The Xbox One will kill used games, that's good

M3d10n

Once that secondary market is removed you can suddenly profit from every copy of your game sold, and as profit margins rise it's possible we'll see prices drop.

Physical copies are paid in advance by retailers. When they slash their prices (the proverbial bomba), they are no longer going to recoup the money spent ordering those copies through their sale. Deep, permanent price drops in the digital storefront while a good number of physical copies are still floating around is a good way to make the retailers skip carrying your next entry in the series.

Has anyone asked Microsoft how they will handle charitable donations?

I know people who donate old games all the time to children hospitals and the like.

How exactly will people be able to give Xbox One games away for donation?

UberTag

Can we just have a thread where we nail dishonest journalists and companies to the wall? I hear one thing like this, and I'm done with them. Ben Kuchera should be forever publicized for this garbage.
Ben Kuchera, Arthur Gies... who else will go up on this wall of shame?
Let's out all of the corporate shills and publically brand them so their opinions no longer carry any weight!

I agree on one point. I absolutely hated asking customers if they wanted the used copy instead for $54.99 on a game that came out a week ago.

I don't know what the solution is, maybe an agreement on a price point that if Gamestop (all other stores that do trade-ins as well) dipped below on their used games then the publisher would no longer want/get a piece of it, say 35-50% below the MSRP of a new copy. /shrugs

Holy shit, was Mitt Romney ghostwriting this piece of shit article?

Nah as bad as Romney is he'd realize it would be easier to make a profit with volume rather than a big price tag.

Business people are all about most profit for most sales. If the sales suck but there is a large price tag and results in making some money, it's good but not great. If a cheap game sells a fuck load and makes a larger overhead (10 people buying it at 30 as opposed to 3 buying it a 60), then games will be cheaper.

I seriously doubt Microsoft will do this judging buy how fucking expensive Word still is.

The current economics of the industry are a creation of the industry. You can't just run your business into the ground and then claim that the only solution is to take away consumer rights. It's insane.

But you still have your rights to play the game the YOU bought. Everyone else has to buy their own copy. Sounds like a good deal to me.

turnbuckle

gaf is always a tear fest with candlelight vigils everytime a studio is closed yet a system that helps the industry stay alive and profitable is being demonized.

A system that takes away focus from games and places it on tv and other non-gaming features is good for new game sales how?

Anyways, I disagree with the premise in the first place that used games and piracy are killing the industry. Spiraling budgets, alternative products soaking up more of our time and money, treating gamers like the opposition, and nickel-and-diming us to the point are.

Can we just have a thread where we nail dishonest journalists and companies to the wall? I hear one thing like this, and I'm done with them. Ben Kuchera should be forever publicized for this garbage.

This GAF trend of "opinion I disagree with is the result of a bribe" thing is getting silly.

Mxrz

Found this conversation between Justin McElroy and Patrick Klepeck interesting:

0zHtZ3K.png

McElroy loving dat slippery slope.

McElroy, completely not surprised.

Yeah, dude. We never really lent out games our to friends. All just a dream. Slurp slurp slurp.

There really should be a giant wall of shame for all these shills.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

I know people who donate old games all the time to children hospitals and the like.

You won't even be able to play Xbone games in 10 years, let alone donate them.

Risette

A Good Citizen
reduced piracy and lower prices

this guy
What I've noticed with these types of articles is that they always paint this weirdly optimistic fantasy world where everything planned for this system makes perfect sense and nothing could go wrong.

Actually, it extends beyond the articles too. The presentation itself showed off the features in ways that people really wouldn't use them, but the way Microsoft wants them to use them because otherwise their product doesn't make any sense. The conference had an almost surreal quality to it in that way.

Even re-reading this article, the assumptions and assertions are astoundingly imbecilic - and insulting.

Used games need to go for Steam Sales. Don't like Microsoft's plan? Pirate.

Its both condescending and misinformed. It takes effort to make such tripe.

nib95

Banned
Anyway, it's happening. We can finally see the numbers speak for themselves if this will work or not.

Just two points to think about:

1) The PS3 enjoyed a few years free of piracy and software sales weren't dramatically better for that.

2) The 3DS is still piracy-free and it's software attach ratio isn't nowhere as good as the DS, which was piracy laden.

Pretty interesting.

Found this conversation between Justin McElroy and Patrick Klepeck interesting:

0zHtZ3K.png

McElroy loving dat slippery slope.

Someone from Polygon sucking off big publishers?

shocking news!

But I personally dont have a problem with locking games to a account. I would love to toss away discs after the install and never have to get up and find a disc to change a game. I am more worried about online requirements and stuff. Still I 100% see why people would hate it and I see the problems that could happen if every game is like that on a system.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
A system that cracks down on piracy/used game sales *could* be good for legitimate customers. However the potential for abuse is ripe.

It's going to be fascinating to see how this plays out.

jay

Ben Kuchera, Arthur Gies... who else will go up on this wall of shame?

We can wait for Jason Kotaku to come and tell us about how this is all very complex and not black and white like we see it. It's sweet that while he stands up for the establishment, he feels guilty enough about it to not just say we are entitled jerks.

GYNGA

If not used games, I wouldn't even be able to play at all. Selling my games allows me keep the buying train going, now add a PS+ and I have a pretty nice constant flow of games.

Camjo-Z

If publishers want me to stop buying used games then maybe they should lower their prices. I'd like to get a lot of new games, but at $60 a pop it's just not possible. I supported games like Sly 4 and Anarchy Reigns because they weren't afraid to put out a quality product at a more affordable price.

Ranger X

What is this backward thinking? Are people THAT brainwashed by huge corporations nowadays?

Second hand market is great business BECAUSE game prices are high, not the opposite. And keeping high prices ('cause you all know it won't drop, just like going digital didn't drop anything) + removing second hand sales will INCITATE into more piracy.

Really, the real solution is to make shorter games with lower budget. Stop fucking the customer for your nice green dollars. Seriously, wtf. Sometimes I wish that industry just crashes and burn so all this mess in order to keep that old hollywood system would simply die and be renewed by more accurate with time and intelligent people.

Duster

Do people like this truly believe that if people didn't buy used games then they'd buy everything at full price?

It will be interesting to see who or what these companies and journalists blame for poor sales if they can't blame piracy or used games sales.

Dragon

Banned
We can wait for Jason Kotaku to come and tell us about how this is all very complex and not black and white like we see it. It's sweet that while he stands up for the establishment, he feels guilty enough about it to not just say we are entitled jerks.

As much as I don't like that guy he's been pretty outspoken on here against Microsoft's policies since the reveal.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
People just seem to look at this as "a traded in game enables a first hand purchase". But it also enables a second hand purchase for someone else that takes away a new sale and benefits no one but GameStop.

Whether or not you think that's a problem is a personal decision, but people ignore the fact the 3 games you trade in to buy GTA5 are 3 lost new sales for those games.

Your logic is flawed.

Trading in 3 games does not automatically equate to 3 lost sales. AFAIK, GS has no policy dictating that they'll only take in a game if they know it will sell.

Obviously, they have different prices based on their supply catalog and the game's 'newness', but you cannot state with absolute certainty that people are going to buy those 3 games instead of a new copy, especially given box pack-ins like the past online activation codes, multiplayer modes, etc.

What I've noticed with these types of articles is that they always paint this weirdly optimistic fantasy world where everything planned for this system makes perfect sense and nothing could go wrong.

Actually, it extends beyond the articles too. The presentation itself showed off the features in ways that people really wouldn't use them, but the way Microsoft wants them to use them because otherwise their product doesn't make any sense. The conference had an almost surreal quality to it in that way.

I got this gist as well. Kind of bizarre in a lot of ways.

Catshade

This is good news for a few reasons. The first is that piracy will likely be reduced. If the system phones home every so often to check on your licenses, and there is no way to play a game without that title being authenticated and a license being active, piracy becomes harder. You'll never be able to stop pirates, not entirely, but if you can make the act of pirating games non-trivial the incidence of piracy will drop. This is a good thing for everyone except those who want to play games for free.

So piracy reduction, although not elimination, will likely be a solid byproduct of this system.

Does this guy even know how commercial piracy industry works? It may be technically harder to pirate, but once someone out there manages to, the floodgates are opened. Non-trivial to do it yourself? In my country (and many other countries), you just pay someone else or a store to do it for you; Even easier, you can just buy a pre-modded console (with dozens of pre-loaded games in the HDD!) with a decent mark-up from them.

JazzmanZ

tumblr_lfl3x7M1og1qc0j6lo1_400.jpg

The Xbox One will have a new Halo

That's good!

But You have to pay a fee to play it on another persons Xbox.

That's bad.

Ah, but it comes with a free Kinect.

That's good!

And the Xbox one will kill used games.

..??

that's bad.

nullref

Whether or not the used game market helps or hurts the industry seems mostly irrelevant, in the long run. Physical media is going away (this will be its last gen), and the used game market will go with it. (While it would be technically possible to implement some sort of trade/resale for digital goods, I just don't see that happening any time soon, if ever.) Things have already worked this way on PC and mobile devices for years, for all kinds of digital goods.

I'm not saying you're not losing anything when the ability to trade/resell games goes away (you are, it will be an adjustment), but all this uproar basically amounts to "Please delay the inevitable, for one more gen." Seems sort of pointless.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

those people are poor, who cares?

imo charities need to stop leeching off corporations.

A year or 2 ago this forum was up in arms about how used games take away from the developer. DOWN WITH GAMESTOP! Now everyone supports them? lol

But yeah i dont think banning used games is going to make the prices go down on anything, they could go up because thats the only way you can get them

What's the point of arguing if you don't even try to understand?

Gamestop leeching a large amount of cash out of the gamer's hands (low trade in value, high second hand cost) has absolutely NOTHING to do with stepping on consumer rights by no longer allowing people to lend their games to eachother, sell their games when they are done with them (not everyone is stupid enough to sell their game to gamestop for 10 dollars) or your games becoming defunct when the authentification servers go down?

Can you please, PLEASE try to read this and understand and think hard before you argue about anything?

I think gamestop and co are indeed leeches who profit off the game industry AND more importantly off gamers without adding anything of value to justify it, but I have my rights when it comes to what I buy.
I have always lent games to friends when I was a teenager, we borrowed eachother's games (and often discovered new genres and games we'd never have given the light of days otherwise, not that I even need to justify it).
I've always had consoles in a bedroom or in a summer house with no internet connection, nowadays I have a stable broadband connection but I'm not of the 'as long as I get mine' school of american consumerism.
I played on my sega genesis last month (cyborg justice coop) , I expect to be able to play any console or game I buy 20 years from now.

You know why these things piss me off? Because they are arbitrary and they have no benifits whatsoever for the consumer or the gamer and even if they did they could still not be justified.

Prices don't drop when you corner a market. In the words of Walter White (loosely) "first you corner the market, then you raise the price."

There is a possibility that we'll see sales, but nowhere near the dollar value that you see on a service like Steam, period. To note the possibility that it exists is one thing and I respect that, but I just don't think that's going to happen.

MrKaepora

This article it's so dumb and take many assumptions that it hurts my brain.

For starters, what the hell does used games and piracy have to do with each other? Did they just called someone who buys an used game a pirate? I don't get it.

Then they talk about that we can still sell our copy to Microsoft and they will give us..."stuff" and we will be free from the devils at gamestop. Here's the thing, in my case, I don't use gamestop or any store of the kind to sell my used games, I like to stablish the price and get what I think it's deserved for the game. With Microsoft establishing prices in the used games market, I can't do that anymore and worse, Microsoft now has the monopoly in the used games market regarding their platform.

And saying that the prices will go down...I honestly very much doubt this will happen, but I would like to be proven wrong.

As for piracy, I still don't get this comparison with the used sales market. Piracy will always exist and this system will only make the pirates look for alternatives in other places.

mclem

That stat always niggles at me. I'd like to see some research into the money 'lost' on a game being purchased used versus new versus the money 'gained' on a new sale funded by resale money (do note that the quote marks are important, since we're dealing with hypothetical losses and gains). I suspect the stat is only half the story, but I'm very curious as to which way the actual breakdown lies.

(On the other hand, as the quote indicates, it's worth bearing in mind that it does have an ability to make the 'sticker shock' of the new game purchase less of a factor)

(On the other other hand, it's be interesting to see what *sorts* of games benefit from this. Is it the case that the majority of these 'new'-sales-funded-by-used-sales are going to the big blockbuster titles with tons of hype, or is the love shared around evenly?)

Kingbrave

I think Used Games are hurthing the market. I think "sales" and developer sanctioned price drops and lower prices are the way to go.

The fact you get like 75% of your sales in the first month is unhealthy for the industry. Steam is a much better model.

How are used games hurting the industry? You think it has nothing to do with ridiculous high budgets and mismanagement?

As I said on Twitter this is one of the dumbest things I have read in a while and reads like a corporation apologist.

What companies like MS and EA want nothing more is sell you a copy of a game for 60 bucks, that you can never re-sell and on top of that please buy some more DLC. They are all greedy corporations which if they are allowed to take consumer rights away will be more than happy to oblige. I am not giving my rights away on promises and fairy dust.

What consumer rights are they taking away? Honest question that no one seems to be able to answer.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Whether or not the used game market helps or hurts the industry seems mostly irrelevant, in the long run. Physical media is going away (this will be its last gen), and it will take the used game market with it. (While it would be technically possible to implement some sort of trade/resale for digital goods, I just don't see that happening any time soon, if ever.) Things have already worked this way on PC and mobile devices for years, for all kinds of digital goods.

I'm not saying you're not losing anything when the ability to trade/resell games goes away (you are, it will be an adjustment), but all this uproar basically amounts to "Please delay the inevitable, for one more gen." Seems sort of pointless.

I'm sure people said the same thing about movies and music. Those are still available at retail. PC games are, too. Your dark future is not an inevitability.

To be fair, you'd have to be pretty stupid to publish that kind of shilling for free.

I mean it is possible that they really are just that stupid.

What consumer rights are they taking away? Honest question that no one seems to be able to answer.

Uh, lol? First sale doctrine for one.

Imagine if you couldn't sell your car privately and instead had to get a code from a dealership or the manufacturer.

The whole idea that developers are going out of business due to used games is ridiculous. Howabout publisher and developers stop blowing tens of millions of dollars on every damn game that they make? It's okay to make something that isn't AAA. And it's also okay to release that through retail. But all through this generation we've seen publishers just continue to double down on bigger budgets. Game didn't meet your expectations? Let's spend more money and throw a multiplayer mode into the sequel. That'll make people buy it!

Top Bottom