• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pach-Attack!

Sorry about the double post BUT HOLD THE PRESSES !!! :O:O:O

First time I heard this:

In 2011 at E3 Activition is going to attend this year!!!

So this can mean:
COD MW3 will be at the show
All the acti other stuff (true crime, tony hawk etc)

And maybe Blizzard again???????

1-D_FTW

The Dutch Slayer said:

What am I missing with Acclaim? Huh? Turok was the worst decision ever and it put them out of business? What's the story with this? I know the N64 version of Turok saved them and was a boon. Looked at Wikipedia and they went under in 2004 (and mentions nothing of Turok in development). The 2008 version was done by Propaganda. So what's the story? Never heard it. Or is Pachter just off his rocker?

MedIC86

1-D_FTW said:
What am I missing with Acclaim? Huh? Turok was the worst decision ever and it put them out of business? What's the story with this? I know the N64 version of Turok saved them and was a boon. Looked at Wikipedia and they went under in 2004 (and mentions nothing of Turok in development). The 2008 version was done by Propaganda. So what's the story? Never heard it. Or is Pachter just off his rocker?

Yeah this puzzles me as well, perhaps it was Turok Evolution (2003) and the financial aftermath of that?

1-D_FTW said:

Well somehow Disney got it, and if Turok was acclaims last game then it had to have been the reason for their downfall. Though it seems theres another unrelated Acclaim?

1-D_FTW

Dedication Through Light said:
Well somehow Disney got it, and if Turok was acclaims last game then it had to have been the reason for their downfall. Though it seems theres another unrelated Acclaim?

According to Wikipedia:

The game was originally released for the Game Boy Advance but then later released for the Nintendo GameCube, PlayStation 2, and Xbox in 2002. A port for the PC was released in 2003 for the European market.

Then on the Acclaim Wikipedia:

Acclaim suffered severe financial problems in 2004, the result of most of their video and computer game titles (like Showdown: Legends of Wrestling) selling very poorly. This resulted in the closure of Acclaim Studios Cheltenham and Acclaim Studios Manchester in England and other places and their filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, leaving many employees unpaid. Amongst the titles under development at the UK studios were Emergency Mayhem, Kung Faux and Made Man.

It definitely wasn't the last game they made. It just seemed like another flop in a long line of licensed material flops.

EDIT: Releases in chronological order:

BMX XXX 2002 Xbox, Nintendo GameCube, PlayStation 2
Burnout 2: Point Of Impact 2002 (PlayStation 2)
2003 (Nintendo GameCube, Xbox) PlayStation 2, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox
Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 3 2002 Game Boy Advance
Legends of Wrestling II 2002 PS2, Xbox, Nintendo GameCube
Turok: Evolution 2002 PS2, Xbox, Nintendo GameCube, PC
Virtua Tennis 2 2002 PS2
AFL Live 2004 2003 PC, PS2, Xbox
ATV Quad Power Racing 2 2003 PS2, Xbox, Nintendo GameCube, GBA
Gladiator: Sword of Vengeance 2003 PS2, Xbox, PC
NBA Jam 2003 PlayStation 2, Xbox
Paris-Dakar 2: The World's Ultimate Rally 2003 PlayStation 2, Xbox, Nintendo GameCube
Showdown: Legends of Wrestling 2003 PS2, Xbox
Vexx 2003 PS2, Xbox, Nintendo GameCube
AFL Live Premiership Edition 2004 PC, PS2, Xbox
Alias 2004 PC, PS2, Xbox, Mobile
XGRA: Extreme-G Racing Association 2004 PS2, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox
World Championship Rugby 2004 PC, PlayStation 2, Xbox

Chesskid1

Banned
if a company makes a decision that makes a lot of $$ = good financial decision.

if a company makes a decision that loses a lot of $$ = bad financial decision.

thanks, pach! :D

so results oriented!

The Dutch Slayer said:
Sorry about the double post BUT HOLD THE PRESSES !!! :O:O:O

First time I heard this:

In 2011 at E3 Activition is going to attend this year!!!

So this can mean:
COD MW3 will be at the show
All the acti other stuff (true crime, tony hawk etc)

And maybe Blizzard again???????

CoD NPG

vectorman06 said:

Well I imagine they will also show up for Microsoft to show Modern Warfare 3 or is it Space Warfare/Future Warfare...and announce exclusive access to map packs for the console, and they kill two birds with one stone by having a playable booth as well.

Luken

clip said:

StarCraft 2 on Xbox Live would be great to play with my friends. My notebook doesn't have the minimum requirements to play this game, and I don't want to buy a new PC just for one game.

I love RTS games for the Xbox 360, I own Halo Wars and LOTR battle for middle earth 2 for the Xbox 360, and those both games played very well on a console. Why not make the best RTS for the Xbox 360?

clip

Luken said:
This is a problem that game developers can solve. Command and Conquer Tiberium Wars for the X-Box 360 had a good control scheme and it worked well for that game.

You'd need to make fundamental changes to the mechanics of the game in order to make it work on a controller. It isn't as simple as remapping some keys.

mug

Luken said:
StarCraft 2 on Xbox Live would be great to play with my friends. My notebook doesn't have the minimum requirements to play this game, and I don't want to buy a new PC just for one game.

I love RTS games for the Xbox 360, I own Halo Wars and LOTR battle for middle earth 2 for the Xbox 360, and those both games played very well on a console. Why not make the best RTS for the Xbox 360?
I'd recommend looking at Blizzard's track record when it comes to consoles. SC2 + 360 would be an experiment.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I thought at first he was talking about the Turok game Bish worked on.

That was the footage being shown while he was talking about it, so it was inherently confusing.

ICallItFutile said:
Please elaborate.

Question 1:

He doesn't actually answer the question at all, just lists games that underperformed. Even then, he doesn't talk about why they underperformed or how they were mismanaged, just deems it a foregone conclusion that because they underperformed they were bad decisions. There is absolutely no insight or analysis going on.

A better example of a gaming industry disaster would be the Playstation 3, which erased all of SCE's profits from the entire PS1 and PS2 generations. Then, as for going back and changing the outcome you can talk about using an architecture other than Cell, and/or ditching the Bluray drive (winning the HD disc media war has been a drop in the bucket for Sony financially), and/or waiting for different launch positioning, and/or just streamlining the device down to reach price and performance parity with the 360 while offering free online multiplayer and so forth.

Or you could talk about Sega failing and going third party, or Square's attempt at a Hollywood blockbuster tanking the company, or RRoD, or any number of other preventable events. A non-shovelware game turning out poorly is often more about middle management inadequacy, and any game's success or failure is often more about marketing and leveraging IPs.

Question 2:

Pachter answers by saying that Starcraft 2 isn't likely to come out on 360 because Activision isn't willing to go through Microsoft to connect to the online play for its games.

??????????

Starcraft 2 is just a normal multiplayer-oriented RTS game. There are many additional layers of functionality with Battle.net to make Battle.net more of a PC gaming platform like Steam and to provide players with communication and league options, but nothing with regards to Starcraft 2 that could not be adapted to a 360 version using XBL's integrated features. The multiplayer itself just needs a matchmaking server and P2P connectivity, like every console multiplayer game...for example, Call of Duty.

Starcraft 2 isn't likely to come to consoles because the gameplay would be kind of a joke and it is designed as a competitive e-sport game. In every way in terms of gameplay it is built from the ground up to take advantage of the PC platform. You could make Starcraft 2 for a controller but you would be rolling with a maximum APM of about 10. You could do it, much like Starcraft 64 or Red Alert PS1 or Supreme Commander 360 were done, but Blizzard has no interest in any half-assed ports; they have a premium brand image that translates into customer loyalty/fanboyism. Additionally, Starcraft 2 has very low base system requirements and can be played on any ol' vaguely recent computer (it plays on low just fine on my non-gaming laptop), so there is very little barrier to entry as it is.

They have talked about the possibility of an eventual console port of Diablo 3, which would translate far, far better to gamepad play.

Luken

clip said:
You'd need to make fundamental changes to the mechanics of the game in order to make it work on a controller. It isn't as simple as remapping some keys.

Yes, they should do whatever is necessary do make the game easy to play on consoles. I'm sure there is a way.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
But then it would lose what makes Starcraft what is it, which is the mechanics required and depth of strategy and gameplay. A 360 port would have to be on rails or something. They might as well make it a different game completely. It would only serve to dilute the Starcraft brand.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Veins said:
But then it would lose what makes Starcraft what is it, which is the mechanics required and depth of strategy and gameplay. A 360 port would have to be on rails or something. They might as well make it a different game completely. It would only serve to dilute the Starcraft brand.

It wouldn't dilute the Starcraft brand. People would just ignore it, just like they ignored Starcraft 64.

Luken

EviLore said:
Question 2:

Pachter answers by saying that Starcraft 2 isn't likely to come out on 360 because Activision isn't willing to go through Microsoft to connect to the online play for its games.

??????????

Starcraft 2 is just a normal multiplayer-oriented RTS game. There are many additional layers of functionality with Battle.net to make Battle.net more of a PC gaming platform like Steam and to provide players with communication and league options, but nothing with regards to Starcraft 2 that could not be adapted to a 360 version using XBL's integrated features. The multiplayer itself just needs a matchmaking server and P2P connectivity, like every console multiplayer game...for example, Call of Duty.

Starcraft 2 isn't likely to come to consoles because the gameplay would be kind of a joke and it is designed as a competitive e-sport game. In every way in terms of gameplay it is built from the ground up to take advantage of the PC platform. You could make Starcraft 2 for a controller but you would be rolling with a maximum APM of about 10. You could do it, much like Starcraft 64 or Red Alert PS1 or Supreme Commander 360 were done, but Blizzard has no interest in any half-assed ports; they have a premium brand image that translates into customer loyalty/fanboyism. Additionally, Starcraft 2 has very low base system requirements and can be played on any ol' vaguely recent computer (it plays on low just fine on my non-gaming laptop), so there is very little barrier to entry as it is.

They have talked about the possibility of an eventual console port of Diablo 3, which would translate far, far better to gamepad play.

Veins said:

Ow, I guess you guys are right. I just want to play RTS games that makes you think, FPS games is just point and shoot nowadays. I give up, going to buy a new PC(new laptop) next month. Thanks, next month I will be a PC gamer, see you guys in the Need a new PC thread.

:)

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
EviLore said:
Question 1:

He doesn't actually answer the question at all, just lists games that underperformed. Even then, he doesn't talk about why they underperformed or how they were mismanaged, just deems it a foregone conclusion that because they underperformed they were bad decisions. There is absolutely no insight or analysis going on.

This is Mr. Pachter for you. A financial analyst that knows nothing about games, the game industry and its history, business strategy or anything else other than the sheer financial aspect of it. I don't even know how good/bad he is at finance because I don't know much about it myself, but as far as general knowledge of the industry and insightfulness go, he is pretty much as clueless as your average forum-goer (I'm thinking more GameFAQS member than NeoGAF member).

Question 2:

??????????

I'm suddenly reminded of the time when Blizzard released WarCraft 2 and Diablo on the Playstation, as well as StarCraft on the N64... To think we actually bought that version WC2! :lol

That won't happen again, except maybe Diablo 3 as you suggested, and even that's far from being certain. Blizzard knows no other platform more than the PC and likes polishing their games to an insane level with one platform in mind. If there was such thing as first-parties on the PC, Blizzard would be it.

Kilrogg said:
This is Mr. Pachter for you. A financial analyst that knows nothing about games, the game industry and its history, business strategy or anything else other than the sheer financial aspect of it. I don't even know how good/bad he is at finance because I don't know much about it myself, but as far as general knowledge of the industry and insightfulness go, he is pretty much as clueless as your average forum-goer (I'm thinking more GameFAQS member than NeoGAF member).

I dont think the paying investors or people who use his guidance in that area feel that way. I think he is pretty spot on in the brief mentions we see in other sectors of consumer entertainment.

onipex

I dont think the paying investors or people who use his guidance in that area feel that way. I think he is pretty spot on in the brief mentions we see in other sectors of consumer entertainment.

The few I know feel that way. I'm small time ,but some of these guys have large sums of money invested in these companies and think Pachter is pretty much a joke. That does not mean that most investors feel this way of course.

I feel that using any analyst to decide where to invest in the game industry is a poor choice.

[Nintex]

lol 2015, bow down to the savior of gaming GAF:
0209_gabe-newell_398.jpg

While guys like Pachter, John Riccitiello and such talk about imaginary 'clouds', 'digital goods' and shit this guy is like 10/20 years full steam ahead of the pack.

Now imagine Gabe teaming up with Iwata

clip

[Nintex] said:
lol 2015, bow down to the savior of gaming GAF:
0209_gabe-newell_398.jpg

While guys like Pachter, John Riccitiello and such talk about imaginary 'clouds', 'digital goods' and shit this guy is like 10/20 years full steam ahead of the pack.

Now imagine Gabe teaming up with Iwata

God damnit, I love Gabe so much. :3

Ep 206

Was it really just suggested that the next gen consoles wouldnt come until 2015? That seems kind of far off.
I really hope he's wrong about that. I can't imagine Sony or Microsoft are chomping at the bit to get the next generation going though.

krae_man

Download caps aren't going to effect the industry but paying per GB will? They are pretty much the same thing.

Also, 250gb kinect bundles sold out and 4gb kinect bundles were easy to find? Did he just have a brain fart and confuse the two?

Ep 208

Decent, I think they should get a consolidated awards for videogames that the masses would enjoy, though I will admit, I did get swayed when I saw some games and their boxes say "winner of x number of awards".

DR3AM

todays episode sucked because of the 2nd question but at least they are filming new episodes with the latest's content.

Seda

EP 217

The episode is okay, talks about price of PC games and Kinect opportunities. However, what I really want a gif of a part of this video.

Pachter "dancing" to Dance Central

I'm glad that he mentioned even if slightly that consumers get screwed with digital download prices for PC games when they appear the same cost as a boxed copy and was very surprised how out of touch he was that he didn't know that some PC game publishers are pushing $60 games even though GT did "correct" him in editing.

Top Bottom