• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter Factor: Michael Pachter is back with his new show. (SIFTD games)

oneils

Does he still think console gaming is on its way out?

What he used to say is that he didn't expect to see console sales to grow all that much compared to last gen, while the growth would be in mobile. He figured that the console install base was about 200million or so with not much room to grow. Revenue growth would have to come from dlc or other streams on these platforms. Doesn't seem too far off base to me.

NYR

I loved his enthusiasm doing the Switch unboxing, it was infectious, he looked like a kid opening it! :)

AmyS

I loved his enthusiasm doing the Switch unboxing, it was infectious, he looked like a kid opening it! :)

Yep!

BkLtSdO.jpg

AmyS

I really liked his take on is the old school way of looking at console generations dead?
I totally get why Sony + Microsoft are doing what they're doing now

Same here, it was pretty refreshing actually. Even though he vastly oversimplified the leaps from 8-bit to 16-bit to 32-bit etc.

mitchman

Gold Member
Pachter Factor Episode 57: PC Exclusives

Not a fan of the "people wanna play on a couch with a controller" argument when discussing PC vs. console, but I guess most people won't actually hook up their PC to their TV probably.

Well, I have a monster gaming PC (GTX 1080 etc.) but I prefer to play on my coach with the surround system even though I can connect the PC to the LG OLED. It's just the convenience of coach gaming. Gfx-wise, the difference between the PS4 Pro and the PC isn't that big and with HDR on the PS4 Pro, many games look better than on the PC.

Justinh

Well, I have a monster gaming PC (GTX 1080 etc.) but I prefer to play on my coach with the surround system even though I can connect the PC to the LG OLED. It's just the convenience of coach gaming. Gfx-wise, the difference between the PS4 Pro and the PC isn't that big and with HDR on the PS4 Pro, many games look better than on the PC.

What I meant that it's dirt simple to hook up a PC to a television and use a controller for gaming, but I get that probably most people won't want to have their tower on their living room floor somewhere. Mine is actually sitting right next to my couch, and my monitor is sitting on my coffee table with the keyboard and mouse on one of those hueg mouse mats. I didn't think about HDR though. I can't think of any HDR enabled games on PC other than Shadow Warrior 2.

Pachter Factor Episode 58: Nintendo Switch VR

Is a Nintendo Switch VR helmet a possibility? Do graphics really matter to a game’s sales? The long-term future of investing in games, the costs associated with digital compared to physical games, and more!

I thought I was still an egg on Twitter, but for some reason it looks like I set my avatar to a transparent square PNG. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Grinchy

Banned
Not a fan of the "people wanna play on a couch with a controller" argument when discussing PC vs. console, but I guess most people won't actually hook up their PC to their TV probably.

I love playing PC games on my TV, but console convenience is hard to beat. I can press the PS button my PS4 controller and the PS4 not only turns on, but it turns my TV on and switches to the proper HDMI channel. From there, everything is also very easy and convenient.

For PC gaming, I have to open up my bluetooth connections, hold the Share and PS Button to put the controller into pair mode, connect the controller, for many games start up DS4Windows, then I have to go into my display settings and set it to only display on my TV, go to the couch, get the wireless mouse out to use on the coffee table, navigate to the game I want to play, ect...

And PC gaming is so weird when it comes to surround sound for me. Even when I used to have a proper Dolby soundcard, things often didn't work or sounded weird. The nice improvement in visuals is great, but sometimes I just want to use the damn PS4.

Justinh

Yeah whenever I hear "People want to play on their TV." I think that it's never been easier to hook up a PC to a TV and play on a couch, but after some thinking... yeah, it might be easier than ever, but it is still a hell of a lot more work than just playing a console on a TV. I think the immediate hang up for a lot of people would probably be "where am I gonna put my tower?" and then there's the "little things" that further convince people to say "screw it."

NYR

Who the fuck is complaining about his clothes. People are such assholes, I concur with Pachter, fuck off.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Who the fuck is complaining about his clothes. People are such assholes, I concur with Pachter, fuck off.

People that want to convince themselves that Pachter doesn't know what he's doing even though it's obvious he clearly does.

I tend to group them in with people who firmly believe that Dan Rykert is an dumber than them.

Justinh

I really hope he's right about the price on Scorpio and it doesn't cost more than "whatever the PS4 Pro costs." It feels like that makes sense, but the constant hammering of that it's a "premium product" makes me wonder.

NYR

I really hope he right about the price on Scorpio and it doesn't cost more than "whatever the PS4 Pro costs." It feels like that makes sense, but the constant hammering of that it's a "premium product" makes me wonder.

Microsoft would be moronic to make it more than $399, it would be a niche product at a higher price point. Especially since they will have a tough time marketing it as a successor when the games have to be backwards compatible with Xbox One (one of the reasons I think the name is Xbox One X since they can't distance themselves).

I enjoy watching Pachter and always find his views/predictions interesting.

I agree on Scorpio, no way it launches above $399. For all the reasons.

My thoughts from another thread.

TLDR: Maybe it 'should' cost $499. They have to hit $399 for reasons...

Ive no idea how much this will cost to make. I've no idea if MS will get a good ROI on the box.

I just do not see a scenarios where they announce $499 price.

This is for a few reasons.

1. Phil Spencer had the unenviable task of announcing the price in 2013. Forget all the Kinect, TV TV TV, and DRM nonsense. $499 did not wash. Remember his reaction? And the crowds? Watch here: https://youtu.be/B2zslQ9PWPQ

2. The One S is currently RRP $249 with a bundled game. It will likely, closer to Scoprio launch and the holidays, drop to at least $229 RRP. Maybe even lower. The Scorpio plays the same games, uses the same accessories. Can they 'sell' a 4k upgrade for potentially double the price?

3. The competition. The PS4 Pro RRP is $399. You can expect a bundled game and/or a a price drop approaching Holiday 2017 to say $349. At $499, Scorpio would be 25-43% more expensive. It would not wash.

So, putting aside how much this 'should' cost... I can not see a price higher than $399.

Justinh

Yeah, some good questions for this episode.

I completely forgot about that Call of Duty Elite thing. I don't know if no Season Passes for the EA shooters is enough to drag people away from getting CoD, though. I totally forgot OnLive was a thing too.

dickroach

I thought he was nutty when he said single player campaigns weren't getting longer, so I hit up howlongtobeat.com...

AC III - 15.5 hr
AC IV - 22.5 hr
AC Rogue - 9.5 hr
AC Unity - 17 hr
AC Syndicate - 17 hr

CoD MW - 7 hr
CoD Blops - 7 hr
CoD MW2 - 6.5 hr
CoD Blops2 - 7 hr
CoD AW - 7 hr
CoD Blops3 - 9 hr
CoD IF - 7 hr

Demon's Souls - 32 hr
Dark Souls - 49 hr
Dark Souls 2 - 47 hr
Bloodborne - 35 hr
Dark Souls 3 - 31.5 hr

Dragon Age O - 41 hr
Dragon Age 2 - 26.5 hr
Dragon Age I - 45 hr

FF10 - 49 hr
FF12 - 58 hr
FF13 - 49 hr
FF15 - 27 hr

Forza 5 - 50.5 hr
Forza H2 - 20 hr
Forza 6 - 23 hr
Forza H3 - 17 hr

GTA 3 - 17 hr
GTA VC - 20.5 hr
GTA SA - 33.5 hr
GTA 4 - 28 hr
GTA 5 - 31 hr

Halo 1 - 10 hr
Halo 2 - 9 hr
Halo 3 - 9 hr
Halo 4 - 8 hr
Halo 5 - 8 hr

Mass Effect - 17 hr
Mass Effect 2 - 24.5 hr
Mass Effect 3 - 24 hr
Mass Effect A - 20 hr

MGS 2 - 13 hr
MGS 3 - 16 hr
MGS 4 - 18.5 hr
MGS 5 - 45 hr

Pokemon Gen4 - 42.5 hr
Pokemon Gen5 - 33 hr
Pokemon Gen6 - 32 hr
Pokemon Gen7 - 31.5 hr

Uncharted - 8.5 hr
Uncharted 2 - 10.5 hr
Uncharted 3 - 9 hr
Uncharted 4 - 15 hr

Watch Dogs - 18.5 hr
Watch Dogs 2 - 18 hr

Witcher - 36 hr
Witcher 2 - 24 hr
Witcher 3 - 46.5 hr

Zelda WW - 29 hr
Zelda TP - 37 hr
Zelda SS - 38 hr
Zelda BOTW - 40.5 hr

.........I dunno what to make of it. but I guess most games aren't getting longer, there's just more open world games now so it feels that way

Justinh

I thought he was nutty when he said single player campaigns weren't getting longer, so I hit up howlongtobeat.com...

list
.........I dunno what to make of it. but I guess most games aren't getting longer, there's just more open world games now so it feels that way
Well, he does say:
Yes, games are getting longer... the single player campaigns are not.
It just seems like there's a lot more "side-stuff" or areas to comb/explore along with:
multiplayer and post launch extra content via updates and DLC
...just to keep gamers to continually keep playing the same games for longer.

The first question makes me wonder about games with shared universes I'd even really care to see. I guess I'd be interested in some No More Heroes/Killer7 crossover (even though I've never played a No More Heroes game). From what I understand there's some kind of "link" there, I think it was merely a cameo or something though.

New episode #63 is up on YouTube, only about 9 minutes long. Is anyone here a premium member and is it worth it? I don't see a lot of content on the site so I was just wondering.

Justinh

Pachter Factor Episode 64: Sony and Microsoft Unite?

Will Sony and Microsoft ever join forces? Is the 3DS Nintendo's last shot at dedicated handhelds? How can Sony compete at E3 2017? Who's making money off eSports? All this and more!

edit: Dammit! Reply window open too long...
I don't know why people are worried about Sony at E3. I know it's new hardware for Nintendo, and reveal for hardware for MS, but Sony has this whole E3 presentation thing down, They've had great shows years running now, even outside of E3.

I find his idea of a "Switch mini" kinda interesting, but since it would pretty much go against the idea of the switch, I'd reckon they'd give it another name if they did that.

New episode #63 is up on YouTube, only about 9 minutes long. Is anyone here a premium member and is it worth it? I don't see a lot of content on the site so I was just wondering.
I'm a big fan of the site. They really don't make much of their own content other than their weekly podcast which I really enjoy, the draw for me is the stuff they curate from other sites in a way that's easy to navigate through. Oh yeah, they did start a new video series "Dossier" which is basically like the Release Calendar vids from GT, but with little icons showing how that game's tracking with both SIFTD staff and the SIFTD users along with the usual (release dates, et al.)
It's up in the air whether I'll see something first between SIFTD and NEOGAF during the day, but NEOGAF is 24/7 so if it's after business hours I'll usually catch something first here. They're also changing the way they bill people starting next month though. Instead of offering a 50 dollar/year option, everyone will have to pay 4 dollars monthly (he explains why here).

You can make a basic account and get your own "sift" minus the premium features, but if that doesn't appeal to you then I don't know that you'll get much out of the site.

Justinh

I really hope he's right on his first prediction
and the Scorpio costs 399. It just makes sense to me for it to be that way because as he says, "I think higher than that they're going to have problems."

I think he might be a little off on his second prediction, though. He just said
the previous week, I think it was, that Sony's MO for dropping price is 50 dollars except for the big first price drop for the PS3 and one with the PS2. I think a 200 base PS4 could happen though.

(edit: looks like two weeks prior @2:20ish in)

dickroach

$249 PS4 pro ������

I wouldn't be surprised if they're around there come Black Friday
I mean, last Black Friday there were $250 slim bundles that came with a $60 game.

but right now? no way. the msrp for the gold slim is 249. the pro'll probably drop to 349

Top Bottom