• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter Predicts: Xbox One outsold PS4 in September (dance, you puppets)

MRMagoo

Neo Member
Never underestimate, dude. haha

Yes answering the question honestly any one would choose LBP3 over any of those games, the game has limitless possibilities and they even added more stuff to the infinite stuff already there, the game is going to last people years because people will always be pushing the engine to the limits and making games on it no one thought possible, for example some one managed to make an fps game and a top down rpg with lvl ups with a 2.5d platformer game.

Tell me that doesnt sound better than any of the others honestly

Tommy DJ

Halo, Gears and Mario are all in the top 20 best selling franchises from last generation. What this proves is that People like video games, the more games the better. It's why exclusives are a great thing.

What those sales prove is that if they're on a console that people have bought or are willing to buy, they will buy those exclusive games if they're really damn good. Unless there is a critical mass of exclusives that are absolutely fantastic and cannot be substituted, it is probably doubtful that the wider public will buy a console to simply play exclusives. Most people have continuously proved that they overwhelmingly prefer multi-platform games and will pick the best system to play those games.

Gears of War 1 was absolutely revolutionary and still the best cover based shooter of the last generation. They also had the benefit of the PS3 hardware and software launch being the biggest mess in recent consumer electronics history. Three more games later and we see that Gears of War Judgement sold like shit with the oversaturation of cover-based shooters in the industry.

Mario was on the Wii, which literally everyone bought. Mario can't convince people to rush out and buy a Wii U or 3DS, as we can see in the really dire sales both consoles have. Even Mario Kart 8 did nothing but stick some jumper cables into the dead corpse that is the Wii U.

If Microsoft released another Gears game in today's industry, do you think it will be a huge seller? Unless it brings what the original Gears of War brought to the table, I'm going to say no.

spwolf

As a gamer, would you rather play Singstar or SO, the MCC or Littlebigplanet? I mean, I know people love Sony but come on.

difference is that there are many 3rd party heavy hitters coming in FPS genre, while basically there is nothing in LBP or Singstar (which was very popular in UK actually).

So for the overall lineup, LBP and Singstar are great additions, especially to the UK, which is one of the contested territories...

mocoworm

What? You don't think it's fair making lists including 6 months old games vs just the upcoming titles dismissing entirely early 2015?

When I am specifically talking about 2014 and stating that, then no ... 2015 is not listed.

My post was about the games we can actually play over the upcoming holidays. Kids wanting consoles for xmas etc. Parents will be buying now, we are only 12 weeks away or something like that.

PS4 has it's exclusives, Infamous, Killzone, TLOU, Resogun etc I know that, I am not dismissing them ... but the bundles, upcoming 2014 exclusives, recent exclusive releases (FH2, Titanfall), and deals instore now, I personally feel, are weighted in MS favour + no kinect and price drop .... that was my point... because of that I can see why the NPD numbers would be increasing for XONE.

I wasn't aware of Singstar releasing or it's sales figures when I posted.

Hindle

Banned
difference is that there are many 3rd party heavy hitters coming in FPS genre, while basically there is nothing in LBP or Singstar (which was very popular in UK actually).

So for the overall lineup, LBP and Singstar are great additions, especially to the UK, which is one of the contested territories...

SO is like a Pixar movie with the art style and it's all brand new as well. A new universe, new characters etc. Yet people would prefer Singstar or LBP.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Ok? so you should know that most "gamers" would probably prefer a mega redo of one of the biggest franchises in history, no?

I think that was the point he was making.

That is hard to measure. The hardcore will probably tilts towards MCC. The casuals? Absolutely not. They'll go for LBP 3.

Busty

Banned
It should be clear to anyone that has been following gaming news recently that Sony has allowed their success to go to their head and turn into classic Playstation arrogance. While Xbox continues to positively pump out new OS features that makes The One a joy to own, Playstation contents themselves with stability updates and, if we are lucky, a Share Factory update once every four months.

It is also apparent in their approach to releasing games. While Xbox continues to delight gamers, by securing breathtaking exclusives like Sunset Overdrive and Rise of the Tomb Raider or by securing exclusive FIFA experiences, Sony are content to only enter transparent marketing deals for the biggest disappointment of the generation. Playstation arrogance have even gotten to levels where they feel they can stop paying checks to Ubisoft to gimp XBO versions of games to give gamers the impression that PS4 is superior hardware. A gross miscalculation, in my opinion. When AC: Unity releases this fall and looks just as good on The One, gamers will finally realize that the so-called power advantage of the PS4 was a lie all along.

This can't be a real post from someone who actually thinks this way.

Can it?

I'm not up on the current joke, meme generating members of GAF. This chap has to be one of them.., right?!

Yes answering the question honestly any one would choose LBP3 over any of those games, the game has limitless possibilities and they even added more stuff to the infinite stuff already there, the game is going to last people years because people will always be pushing the engine to the limits and making games on it no one thought possible, for example some one managed to make an fps game and a top down rpg with lvl ups with a 2.5d platformer game.

Tell me that doesnt sound better than any of the others honestly

It sounds nice. Yah.

But i've been waiting for Halo CE with real MP for a very very long time, and plus Halo 2 anniversary? Halo 5 beta? There's a lot of people gearing up for this.

Xando

SO is like a Pixar movie with the art style and it's all brand new as well. A new universe, new characters etc. Yet people would prefer Singstar or LBP.

So what? People have preferences?
LBP is one of the most creative games i have ever played, SO looks like Infamous on drugs. I mean i will probably buy a XB1 for SO but if i had to choose one i would take LBP everyday.
You seem to dismiss everything that isnt good for your bias but i guess everyone on Gaf knows it by now.

Imouto

Banned
Ok? so you should know that most "gamers" would probably prefer a mega redo of one of the biggest franchises in history, no?

I think that was the point he was making.

Is it me or are you implying people who bought and played those games aren't "gamers"?

GnawtyDog

Banned
This can't be a real post from someone who actually thinks this way.

Can it?

I'm not up on the current joke, meme generating members of GAF. This chap has to be one of them.., right?!

Obv. your sarcasm detector had doubts. It's the arrogant Sony meme.

Is it me or are you implying people who bought and played those games aren't "gamers"?

I don't even know the connotations anymore. is it hardcore gamer now? the point was that a lot of people are waiting for MCC and SO. I'd say more so than LB3. I could be wrong?

FeiRR

Banned
I mean LBP has two installments already, whilst SO is completely new. Halo 2s multiplayer is returning better then ever but they'd rather play Singstar. You have to admire the loyalty.
So you're saying that people who don't like shooters and killing things with guns but would rather play a peaceful game without violence are Sony loyalists?

This thread is going places, indeed.

When I am specifically talking about 2014 and stating that, then no ... 2015 is not listed.

My post was about the games we can actually play over the upcoming holidays. Kids wanting consoles for xmas etc. Parents will be buying now, we are only 12 weeks away or something like that.

PS4 has it's exclusives, Infamous, Killzone, TLOU, Resogun etc I know that, I am not dismissing them ... but the bundles, upcoming 2014 exclusives, recent exclusive releases (FH2, Titanfall), and deals instore now, I personally feel, are weighted in MS favour + no kinect and price drop .... that was my point... because of that I can see why the NPD numbers would be increasing for XONE.

I wasn't aware of Singstar releasing or it's sales figures when I posted.

Didn't Titanfall release in February? Not really recent. Infamous, last light, TLOUR and dozens of PSN games have come out since then, significantly outnumbering XO releases.
There aren't really any noticeable official bundles in the Uk between the consoles, but as it stands both consoles have a weak lineup in terms of exclusives, in my opinion.

wotta

Have you ever compared LBP and SingStar sales numbers to Forza, Bayo... sales numbers?

Not being funny, but if you don't want to play Halo (I'm not a fan) then both consoles line up's are comparable. Also Sony has by far the better line up in early 2015 what with The Order 1886 and Bloodborne on the way. A console isn't just about the now, it's about the future and with Guerilla's new IP, Uncharted, Rachet & Clank, Gran Turismo and more, Sony will bring the games.

September is PS4 due to the sheer power of Destiny. October has a shot since white SKU and Sunset Overdrive. November will be interesting since Smash and MCC.
Although the only common thing is he is going to be wrong.
Edit: Sony has early Q1 due to Bloodborne.

This thread is about 2 consoles. XONE and PS4. Those games are exclusive to one of those consoles.

Those games aren't exclusive to XB1 whether you like it or not. Titanfall is on 360 and Pc and FH2 is on 360 as well.

And LittleBigPlanet is critically pretty well received.

dAKFxKn.png

apart from that awful kart game

They sell pretty well as well. LBP sold 4.5 million.

Raytow

I love of Hindle and Son of Sam(aka Ryse is the same as Bloodborne) are acting like they are the bastion of impartiality, when they are probably two of the most biased fanboys in this forum.

I'm not saying the conspiracy theory is true, it's ridiculous. This thread has a lot of weight being swayed in favour to one company regardless of September. Neogaf atm is very much PS4 + Bayonetta 2. Microsoft has been copping the most hate, regardless of the fact they're getting the exclusives that come second to the Nintendo Only Software Wii U ecosystem. I have not seen one positive Sunset Overdrive thread and any FH2 thread becomes versus Driveclub. The war is in full scale but Neogaf has collectively picked a side, much like the current consumer consensus. However, Sony hasn't done much in software to show they've earned it. Rather, Microsoft has been doing a lot to show that Sony doesn't deserve it as much as people would like to believe.

spwolf

you dont understand what I am saying.

LBP3 and Singstar dont have 3rd party alternatives right now, so they extend PS4 versatility.

On the other hand, PS4 player has a ton of sports, shooters, even racing games. If you want to shoot something on PS4 you have variety of genres - COD, Battlefield, GTA, AC, FarCry, and bunch of other not so huge franchises.

That being said, SO looks great.

I'm not saying the conspiracy theory is true, it's ridiculous. This thread has a lot of weight being swayed in favour to one company regardless of September. Neogaf atm is very much PS4 + Bayonetta 2. Microsoft has been copping the most hate, regardless of the fact they're getting the exclusives that come second to the Nintendo Only Software Wii U ecosystem. I have not seen one positive Sunset Overdrive thread and any FH2 thread becomes versus Driveclub. The war is in full scale but Neogaf has collectively picked a side, much like the current consumer consensus. However, Sony hasn't done much in software to show they've earned it. Rather, Microsoft has been doing a lot to show that Sony doesn't deserve it as much as people would like to believe.

What if... Sunset Overdrive just isn't exciting to gamers?
What if Forza isn't such a big hit this time around?
What if your opinion on Microsoft "bringing the heat" really just isn't?
What if both Sony AND Microsoft dropped the holiday 2014 ball?

Also, are you willingly choosing to ignore the last week or two with nothing but constant hatred for the PSN and the whole Driveclub debacle?

Hindle

Banned
I love of Hindle and Son of Sam(aka Ryse is the same as Bloodborne) are acting like they are the bastion of impartiality, when they are probably two of the most biased fanboys in this forum.

If MS had Fable and Kinect Sports, going up against BloodBorne this holiday, I'd be saying exactly the same criticism only for MS.

BumRush

I don't understand your sentiment that MS has "earned" it with software but Sony hasn't. First and foremost, a consoles lifecycle isn't the first year. Sony has a ton of great content coming in the future, as does MS. To date, you really think any one of the now gen consoles has destroyed another with software? I don't.

Additionally, the SO thread I was just reading had a very positive vibe about the game. Go check it out...a lot of great discussion in there!

I don't understand your sentiment that MS has "earned" it with software but Sony hasn't. First and foremost, a consoles lifecycle isn't the first year. Sony has a ton of great content coming in the future, as does MS. To date, you really think any one console has destroyed another with software? I don't.

Additionally, the SO thread I was just reading had a very positive vibe about the game. Go check it out...a lot of great discussion in there!

Neither has earned it but one of them is challenging the other.

Abdiel

Man, your selective reading/vision is pretty serious, huh? Forza has been getting endless positive comparisons against Driveclub, the mods had to start enforcing a 'no shitpost' policy in Driveclub threads because it was becoming so prolific. Seen one positive thread about SO? Then you weren't looking, because every time new footage has come out, people talk in those threads about how it looks great, they're excited, etc... But the threads drop off fairly quickly. Maybe that's the bigger statement - Not that the threads don't exist, but they don't sustain themselves very long.

Acting like GAF has become some kind of hive mind is just depressing. It comes across as so persecuted, like you feel you're taking on a giant with a slingshot, or something. If a majority of GAF is supporting the PS4, that merely reflects the market at large, that Sony has done a great deal right to win over customers. They've released far more games on their system than the XB1, throughout the year, instead of just during the holidays.

Do I think Sony should bring out more PS4 features? Absolutely. I'd love to get DNLA and MP3 support. However, the biggest thing is that it is getting a steady flow of excellent games that perform best on their platform (Other than PC, which I have never attempted to claim was deferring to consoles).

Let go of the defensive 'rage against the machine' mentality, and recognize that your tastes/impressions of this situation are very subjective, rather than going after GAF for 'justifying the conspiracy', as though all last gen the Sony bashing was *real*.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
The PS2 Generation killed a lot of competition. The Gamecube was fading fast and the Xbox had less that 10 hits. Hell, Nintendo had to sell of RARE and refuse a buyout offer form Microsoft in that very special generation. Great for consumers, eventually. competition still shrunk massively.

The PS2-generation killed a lot of competition?! It created Wii and Xbox 360 that both went on to overshadow Sony's efforts for a whole generation.

Competition isn't locked into one generation; it's what directly affects the next generation. If you say that Sony needs Microsoft's competition you want Microsoft to produce a better successor to the XBO. If you want a stronger Microsoft then you want Sony to "win". If you want a stronger Sony then you want Microsoft to "win".

Ombala

It should be clear to anyone that has been following gaming news recently that Sony has allowed their success to go to their head and turn into classic Playstation arrogance. While Xbox continues to positively pump out new OS features that makes The One a joy to own, Playstation contents themselves with stability updates and, if we are lucky, a Share Factory update once every four months.

It is also apparent in their approach to releasing games. While Xbox continues to delight gamers, by securing breathtaking exclusives like Sunset Overdrive and Rise of the Tomb Raider or by securing exclusive FIFA experiences, Sony are content to only enter transparent marketing deals for the biggest disappointment of the generation. Playstation arrogance have even gotten to levels where they feel they can stop paying checks to Ubisoft to gimp XBO versions of games to give gamers the impression that PS4 is superior hardware. A gross miscalculation, in my opinion. When AC: Unity releases this fall and looks just as good on The One, gamers will finally realize that the so-called power advantage of the PS4 was a lie all along.

Perhaps most embarrassing of all is how Sony envisioned Driveclub to be a big exclusive that would help drive sales throughout the Holiday season. With gameplay stuck in the 1900s and next to no customization options how did they expect anyone to pick that game up in 2014? And don’t get me started on the multiplayer and PS+ version fiasco. Rather than propel PS4 sales, I expect the bad word-of-mouth from the Driveclub fiasco will negatively affect PS4 sales well into 2015. I am willing to commit to the following bet here and now: Driveclub will be a huge disappointment that will not even chart in the NPD to be released this week. If it does, I will eat my hat. You can laugh all you want, but I expect to be the one still laughing on Thursday night, and you can quote me on that.

Is this real?

I agree with this post. You have the Nintendo crazies that have will always be on here. And there seems to be a bigger Sony base here ATM compared to Microsoft. As an outsider that right now has no interest in either XBO or PS4, it does feel like Microsoft is working harder than Sony at the moment, especially with all the OS updates each month. Sony, to me, seems to be resting on it's laurels at the moment in that regard (didn't 3D Bluray get rushed out just as a response to MS' announcement?). Then again, Microsoft does need to be rebuilding all the good will it lost from last gen by the missteps this gen. I don't think Singstar is as much of a draw as it used to be, Wii to U shows that the casual audience has moved on. I suspect it'll be similar for Singstar.

Whatever the case, looking forward to good competition between both this Q4 so it works out better for consumers.

madp0k

Singstar Frozen Edition would literally print shed loads of money, big warehouse size sheds. That is all
cash in usual place @yosp

I would argue that the success of Xbox Live created what was atleast the pre-Kinect Xbox 360. Also the Nintendo DS created the Nintendo Wii. A gimmick, budget hardware and a Nintendo library of software. Sony wasn't a fucking Wizard during the PS2 generation that created every success afterwards. The next set of consoles were built on the personal successes of the previous.

Top Bottom