• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter Predicts: Xbox One outsold PS4 in September (dance, you puppets)

Xando

There should really be a "In the US" on the thread title.

I almost laughed myself to death until I saw that he was talking about US numbers. Which doesn't seem so impossible.

With SCEA stating that Destiny week was the best week since christmas it does seem impossible.

Sony is quiet because they are literally asleep at the wheel, they've even come out and basically said "we don't know why we are successful". It shows, their game library won't be in full swing until early 2016.
Bloodborne and The Order in February.
Uncharted 4 and by rumors Bend's game in the fall.
The Tomorrow Children, Rime, Ratchet and Clank, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture.

Plus timed console exclusives like No Man's Sky.

2015 looks solid.

Bloodborne and The Order in February.
Uncharted 4 and by rumors Bend's game in the fall.
The Tomorrow Children, Rime, Ratchet and Clank, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture.

Plus timed console exclusives like No Man's Sky.

2015 looks solid.

To clarify, I consider this the ramp up. 2016 will be full swing as the momentum continues rather than merely starting. Purely from a software perspective fyi.

BS article. Those are the sales since the birth of the franchise. All 23 singstar games that released on ps3 sold less than 5 millions total (best one sold 1.07million). Don't expect a lot of sales for the ps4 version.

The game is free it is the songs that cost. When you buy the new Singstar disc it is not a new game only new songs and most people just go to the ingame shop to buy the songs they like instead. Low retail numbers actually means nothing now compared to the ps2 era when it was the other way around.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sony is quiet because they are literally asleep at the wheel, they've even come out and basically said "we don't know why we are successful". It shows, their game library won't be in full swing until early 2016.

They have as many exclusives out this year as M; They have been offering good bundle deals in Europe at least; were the first to offer a new console colour; have made sure retailers were offering competitive alternatives to eg the Xbox Fifa bundle (again in Europe)

They have as many exclusives out this year as M; They have been offering good bundle deals in Europe at least; were the first to offer a new console colour; have made sure retailers were offering competitive alternatives to eg the Xbox Fifa bundle (again in Europe)

I agree. Sony may appear quiet on the software (read firmware) front but commercially they've been very quick.

Still would like that damn 2.0 software already.

kazinova

How to sell more Xbox Ones.

1. Set up a demo unit with Fantasia: Music Evolved
2. Profit

That game screams: "Mom, we NEED this!"

mocoworm

It is absolutely fine for you to say you think X company has a more compelling lineup. It is a stretch to then say that most people will find X company's lineup more compelling.

Of course, I completely agree. It's totally subjective. My preferences are not the same as others. My posts are always just my angle on things. I am not a parent or a casual gamer, or a teen, or limited by a small budget ... so my opinions will differ vastly from many.

I am very careful now to say, 'In my opinion...' or 'Personally I feel that...' , in many of my posts to get this point across.

A lot of people who jump on my back do not respect that different people have different views, especially on subjective things like preferences of games. It's the same as someone having a go because you like different music than they do.

Personally, I feel that the MS games lineup for 2014 is a lot stronger than the PS4. That's a subjective opinion. It's not wrong. It can't be wrong. It's like saying, 'You think Led Zeppelin are the best band ... but you are wrong.'

I will be buying all the great exclusives for my PS4. It is currently an exclusives machine for me and as such, apart from PS+ free games, I only own Killzone, TLOU, Infamous and Resogun. I can't wait for 2015 as I think that is when the PS4 will really start to be worth my investment in it.

It's not like there weren't any PS4 bundles last month. Most of them being a lot more attractive than the Xbox ones, at least here in Germany/Europe.

Joeki11a

Banned
PS4 wont be outsold ever, when will people realize this already?, nothing MS can do will make that happen, halo5 master chief editions bundled of all kinds, it wont ever outsell PS4.

The effect of e3 and fiasco after are still in full effect, you can fire Donny and say sorry take away kinect etc people didnt like the initial approach, they didnt come correct right away thus the must now feel the after effect of that for the entire generation.

By your definition, Sony will be full swing by summer next year then. Not in 2016

I don't know exactly, I'm probably being a bit liberal with the year here. 2016 is just being nice with the timeframe, I suppose. I own a Wii U so I'm used to waiting a long time for games to appear, that's probably why I'm saying 2016 because so far next Gen consoles have taken 2 years to redeem their dry period.

CozMick

Banned
PS4 wont be outsold ever, when will people realize this already?, nothing MS can do will make that happen, halo5 master chief editions bundled of all kinds, it wont ever outsell PS4.

worldwide it wont even be close, however November npd will certainly be an eye opener.

If MCC manages to shift more consoles than sony could manage then it'll certainly be a great xmas for those interested in American sales.

Ricky_R

I don't know exactly, I'm probably being a bit liberal with the year here. 2016 is just being nice with the timeframe, I suppose. I own a Wii U so I'm used to waiting a long time for games to appear, that's probably why I'm saying 2016 because so far next Gen consoles have taken 2 years to redeem their dry period.

Well, for Sony, you can argue that it will only take approximately 1 year since next year is looking great. Providing that no games are delayed till 2015.

I wouldn't call which console will sell more overall so early, look at how much legwork the PS3 has done in these few years and last I checked both the 360 and PS3 were at about 70-80 million all time sales. The Xbox one is so far doing legwork as well and all it take is the right mood.

Joeki11a

Banned
worldwide it wont even be close, however November npd will certainly be an eye opener.

If MCC manages to shift more consoles than sony could manage then it'll certainly be a great xmas for those interested in American sales.

I am saying NPDs, people made their choice already aint nobody switching over to xbox its the other way around this gen.

NPDwise when ps4 madden stand alone beats your Madden Bundle xbox its big, now what you think will happen with Unity Bundle,COD bundle, same exact thing. All 3rd party games will sell best on PS4

worldwide is done already, also keep in mind Sony is doing this without their big IPs, thats the scary part of it all for MS.

Again this is all MS fault for messing up the initial approach, they would of won easy by saying xbox one was 299.99, what do they got to lose?.

TheRossatron

Neo Member
Well maybe the Halo fanbase went mental bental for Bungie's new game, bought a lot of new Xb1's, pushed the sales up a bit?

As much as I would be amazed if Ps4 was outsold, there is a bit of logic there (IMO), however miniscule

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Woke up to this on my Facebook feed... and saw this story in a bunch of other places yesterday. That's a lot of coverage ;)

q7GtlkK.png

Footos22

How to sell more Xbox Ones.

1. Set up a demo unit with Fantasia: Music Evolved
2. Profit

That game screams: "Mom, we NEED this!"

What i played of it last night was very poor.

I was expetcing to fly thorough underwater worlds and stuff. all you get is the same shitty backgrounds for every song.

My daughter thought it was boring. Its gonna sell terrible.
Amplitude kickstarter will end up selling more than that game.

Far too expensive too. should be a cheap title not 45 quid. when it kept telling me to buy the full game to even play more than quarter of a song i thought id have a look thinking itll be on the same lines as dance central.

laughed then uninstalled it

I am lucky to have a GF that bought a ps4 of her own so I dont need to sell her on anything. And I still belive having those kinds of games on a new console makes it alot easier to convince your close ones to pick one up compared to Halo or other titles aimed at hardcore non couch gaming regardless if you already own it on another plattform. Singstar is also free it is the songs that cost money and you can use your old account and microphones as well so you dont lose anything by uppgrading.

Sure it does, but unless there are games that YOU want, you're not going to bother trying to convince anyone else that it's worth buying.

That's why games like Halo are more important. They appeal to the kind of people that want a new £300 console in the first place.

Salex_

I'm starting to realize no one cares about the first 3 quarters of the year.
As a gamer, would you rather play Singstar or SO, the MCC or Littlebigplanet? I mean, I know people love Sony but come on.

Don't care about any of these games. As a gamer, I'd rather play GG Xrd.

I love the console warriors defending the honor of their box while us multi-console/pc people just get to sit back and get more cool stuff while these companies duke it out.

Joeki11a

Banned
I thought this was true about the 360 vs the PS3, but the PS3 eeked out several months last year.

It aint happening this year thats for sure, MCC cant save them, COD/Ubi partnerships cant save them, watch its pretty much will be a fact
COD/Unity/GTA V and every other 3rd party game will sell best on PS4 and will sell PS4s to.

The gap is there already where its a given the software sales will always favor PS4, now its almost a year later and PS4s are easy to find, thats the key Sony are able to continue to pump out these things with ease, MS cant stop this train its almost a year later and look at it selling software like crazy, bet you DriveClub sells 1Mil probably outsold Forza.

The guy became a millionaire from writing about his predictions on the video game industry.

In my opinion Pachter is always winning, all of the time.

I actually like Pachter.

It makes me laugh how every time his name comes up, there are posts claiming he is always wrong and knows fuck all.

That is clearly garbage or the guy would be out of a job. I'd wager he knows a hell of a lot more about the actual business side of the games industry than the vast majority of posters here.

frizby

I don't care, I'm just pointing out a rather continuous pattern in Neogaf at the moment. People calling Neogaf a hivemind isn't a new concept and in some cases it can be entirely true. It just shows how important this forum is to some gamers.

Wow. Hivemind and 2016? Really?

You might consider unplugging your keyboard for a bit...maybe get some fresh air.

Jack cw

I love the console warriors defending the honor of their box while us multi-console/pc people just get to sit back and get more cool stuff while these companies duke it out.

Wonder where this eltism thinking will get you here and it completely misses the point.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.

I like how you express yourself, however unintentional.

"however November npd will certainly be an eye opener." is basicly the same thing that people who wish the XBO would sell more has been saying every single month. It's the "moving the goalpost" of reasoning.

"If MCC manages to shift more consoles than sony" is an odd way of indirectly saying that Microsoft has fucked up and it's simply down to a HD-port to sell the console as opposed to Sony who is actually selling a console succesfully despite what games it chooses to release. Personally I doubt an HD remake can move that many consoles, but I could be wrong. I expect CoD to move more XBOs than MCC (and I expect CoD to sell more on PS4).

It aint happening this year thats for sure, God of War cant save them, GTA/Konami partnerships cant save them, watch its pretty much will be a fact
COD/Madden/GTA IV and every other 3rd party game will sell best on 360 and will sell 360s too.

The gap is there already where its a given the software sales will always favor 360.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I wouldn't call which console will sell more overall so early, look at how much legwork the PS3 has done in these few years and last I checked both the 360 and PS3 were at about 70-80 million all time sales. The Xbox one is so far doing legwork as well and all it take is the right mood.

Wrong wrong wrong, debunked literally hundreds of times. The PS3 was always selling better than the 360 in several regions worldwide last generation, and by the end they were able to shift the ration in regions that they weren't selling as well as 360 (the UK and US) in order to catch up worldwide overall.

This generation Xbone is selling worse everywhere.

Unless the PS4 is literally discontinued there is nothing that MS can do to catch up.

Joeki11a

Banned
People forget how long it took for PS3 to get traction after their bad initial approach, MS better hold on the effects of a bad approach takes years to wear off.

Skii

I thought this was true about the 360 vs the PS3, but the PS3 eeked out several months last year.

Because the PS3 was still the strongest seller in Japan and in most of Europe. The Xbox One is losing in almost every important country/continent at the moment.

Then you factor in the fact that Sony's first party studios pushed the PS3 to its absolute limits consistently providing better looking games than Microsoft's first party studios. This just won't happen this time round as the PS4 is more powerful than the Xbox One.

Finally, Microsoft don't seem to be interested in supporting their console when it's time to move onto the next one. They completely abandoned the 360 when it was time to start developing the One. Sony instead decided to keep pushing out exclusives for the PS3 and that's another reason as to why they clawed back sales near the end. It also helps that it was getting a ton of Japanese support and I expect the same to happen this time round.

I don't really see the Xbox One "pulling it back" like the PS3 did. But it could happen with certain exclusives like Minecraft 2 etc.

Top Bottom