• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter thinks NX will release in 2017, won't be very good.

That's kinda my fear. Unless it can court and win 3rd parties, grow up in the online space, be as powerful as current consoles, have BC and a unified account system and cross-buy, It might just be a dud for me.
Maybe for $499 US dollars. They can port the handful of Wii U games people want to play.

Finaj

I don't believe him. That being said, he was right about the Wii-U (in that it would be Nintendo's Dreamcast), but a broken clock is still right twice a day. We'll see.

Kouriozan

I would say based on Nintendo’s recent history, it is not going to be very good.
Said the guy who predicted that $250 for the 3DS was too low :p
He was excited for it, otherwise he wouldn't predict that.

Regiruler

Releasing in 7102 confirmed.

Thankfully retro should be done with Metroid Prime 4 by then and half life 3 can be a launch title.

2016 it is. Also SHOCKING NEWS: Pachter still being desperate to stay relevant.

Desperate to stay relevant? What, did Gaming Bolt only agree to this interview after Michael Pachter kept calling their offices every day? Mind you, I get that people sometimes take issue with Pachter's phrasing and/or accuracy in making predictions. But I always find sentiments like this wildly off base in that it just seems to misunderstand why he continues to get attention. If people that don't like Pacther stopped reacting to things that he says, you'd find that gaming outlets would be less interested in getting sound bites from him.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I think a March release like the 3DS isn't really a bad idea. That way they can get a few launch titles out and it gives them a few extra months to work on some big titles for the Holiday season.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Even if it`s good, why would people buy it? People have already settled with PS4 or Xbox One. If the rumors are true, the NX will probably be weaker than the PS4 as well, so no need to go third party on the NX as well.

He's litterally just another analyst. There's been tons of them predicting a whole bunch of stuff on the NX. Hell it was analyst predictions that said shit like "NX will work with PS4." I don't know why Nintendo-gaf has to get so defensive over one just because he says things you don't like.
He's probably not wrong either.

But I thought the Wii U was Nintendo's Dreamcast. There shouldn't be another system coming!
More like their Saturn. NX might be a return to form for Nintendo, but they might have reached the point of no return for relevancy in the home console sector thanks to Wii U. Sega's problem was running out of money while Nintendo's money might be having too little marketshare to remain a player with home consoles.

RE4

can someone tell me what this guy does?

is he actually making a living from saying stuff like this?

I have to agree that the main NX console will launch in 2017.

Here is what I think NX will be.

Nov 2016 NX handheld and a NX "portal", a cross platform hub, similar to Miiverse, tied to your Nintendo account, will launch.

NX handeld will be a more powerful vita not backwards compatible.

NX portal will run on NX handheld, mobile and PC. It will have a few basic and VC type games that you can play anywhere with added enhancements. Yes you will have to buy them again for the third time, but they will be finally cross play and buy.

NX console will launch in 2017, run NX portal and obviously have exclusive software. About a XB1 in power with better japanese support but pretty much the same western support outside a token exclusive or two. It also wont be backwards compatible. Remasters will tickle dowm of the WiiUs best games.

I kind of agree that it's not going to be more powerful than anything else that's out there. Honestly I'm expecting it to be about or maybe slightly more powerful than the Wii U which is why I don't get why people are leaping over themselves trying to justify Zelda U being an NX title. Seems to me like a lot of people who are asking for that just don't want to buy a Wii U.

Coming from Pachter's perspective, would it surprise anyone of the NX came out and underperformed or continued to crater market share for Nintendo? I think this is more where Pachter's is coming from rather than speaking on whether or not those who buy it wil be satisfied. It could have quality games and still tank to the general public.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
tsumi-smiling2r4k4z.gif

We're thankfully not far away from Nintendo's Fiscal Year Earnings Release for FY 2015 and E3, where we will actually get something substantial to talk about instead of speculation.

No, he doesn't make a living from offering opinions about video games. I'm not entirely clear on what his day job is, but I know that his research position at Wedbush involves him covering far more than just video game stocks.

Oppo

I've no idea why anyone cares what this guy says, he knows absolutely nothing.

well, he's a financial analyst for the games industry (and a few other sectors, I guess), specializing in specific publishers, i believe. he wouldn't have a job anymore if it was that wrong, that often. he just likes to poke at players because a certain segment squirms predictably. don't worry too much about it.

I have to agree that the main NX console will launch in 2017.

Here is what I think NX will be.

While it isn't confusing in theory, one problem with the Wii U was that many consumers seemingly had no idea what it was or what was up with it. With the NX, Nintendo would do well to keep things simple, and I don't think they're going to make it that convoluted. If anything I feel like the handheld would release after the console, if it's indeed a console/handheld hybrid.

Neoxon

We only know like two or three things about the NX and one of those things is that it isn't a hybrid.
Pachter did specify what he meant, in that we'd have a separate console & handheld that are unified to some degree. While I don't agree with his use of the word "hybrid", he didn't mean a single-device hybrid (which was the idea that Iwata shot down).

Lol it is as if Patcher just gets off from pissing off Nintendo fans. Why give this kind if opinion if you admit you have no freaking idea of what it will be like?

Even if it`s good, why would people buy it? People have already settled with PS4 or Xbox One. If the rumors are true, the NX will probably be weaker than the PS4 as well, so no need to go third party on the NX as well.

Just a hunch, but I suspect they're going to go with the same strategy they've gone with for the last 30 years - hope that the sheer quality of their first party titles will attract consumers and third parties to the platform.

L Thammy

I think 2016 is looking pretty good. It wouldn't be too surprising if it's another system that isn't all that interesting. But the Wii U's initial problems went well beyond just a lack of support; I think Nintendo would have to be a whole other kind of inept to make another system that bad again.

_PsiFire_

He was right about wii u
...and he was wrong on more than 1 occasion regarding the Wii - like every year he made a prediction the Wii was going to flounder because he didn't like Nintendo's business model and he was wrong.

He was right one time about the Wii U though. Good job.

bman94

“You know, it’s sounding an awful lot like it’s a handheld and console hybrid, where you have a handheld and you do some stuff on it, and the console will be like an Apple TV or something, and you can pull games down from that,”

No you don't know. Stop spreading false information. Nintendo has not officially said anything about it being a hybrid.

Dunkley

My opinion on the Nintendo NX so far:

From the time I spent with it I'd say it's a solid 5/10 console.

Here are the things that I think are good about it:

And here are the things that I think are bad about it:

In conclusion I think the NX might be the greatest console ever made, the worst console ever made, or anywhere in between those two extremes.

Oppo

I think he's probably right about the release schedule – what is the prevailing thinking about a 2016 release? i.e. why should we think that will happen? I've not followed NX stuff too closely.

I've considered Wii U to be Nintendo's Saturn for a long time now (though I think I might actually prefer the Saturn!). The NX is where they pull out all the stops and hope for the best.
Yeah, and I'm worried that it might be too late after they bled so much money and markeshare fighting against all the big industry innovations made over the last decade. At this point it'll take a multi-generational effort to reach a stable audience of 40-60 million for a Nintendo home console audience.

Faustek

I want another Captain Toad.
Zelda.
Metroid(that shit on 3DS is shit, give me Samus in sweet 2D).
Xeno games.
That third party Japanese support.

No, he doesn't make a living from offering opinions about video games. I'm not entirely clear on what his day job is, but I know that his research position at Wedbush involves him covering far more than just video game stocks.

He said in his Pacht attack that he made predictions for clients. Many different predictions and that was apparently just a part of it. What he shared with us was crumbs or at least I got that feeling.

This video sums it up nicely:

https://youtu.be/dBPPO40eH9o

Starts at 10:40.

I think the guy's brilliant and smart and very good at his JOB, but especially great at his leisure activity of ruffling the feathers of many patrons of a certain video game forum. ;)

No you don't know. Stop spreading false information. Nintendo has not officially said anything about it being a hybrid.

He's not saying anything official. He's speculating. Just like most people here in NX threads do. That's not spreading false information.

People get so worked up about Pachter. It's ridiculous.

Chastten

Banned
2017 sounds good to me. This year is packed with 3DS games and I'm still playing catch-up on Wii U.

I just hope the unified stuff is real and NX will get ALL Nintendo's games. If you put the 3DS and Wii U's libraries together you have an absolutely stellar collection. A little support from SquareEnix and Capcom and I'm good.

Top Bottom