• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter thinks NX will release in 2017, won't be very good.

I think he's probably right about the release schedule – what is the prevailing thinking about a 2016 release? i.e. why should we think that will happen? I've not followed NX stuff too closely.

I think it just feels right and logical. Apart from Zelda and possibly some unannounced Wii U titles, the holiday seems pretty empty, and on top of that you have Nintendo prepping their new account service, rewards service, and mobile apps. It doesn't feel like a 2017 release to me. Also according to leaks Zelda is going to have an NX version, and the game is scheduled to release this year.

marmoka

Banned
I don't see why his speculations should be more relevant than ours here.

And remember what Trev said: Holiday 2016. Even some third parties have confirmed that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
this time he is literally saying he has no idea what it is or what Nintendo is doing, yet still speculates on dates and how good it'll be.

Sigh.

vareon

This is what happens when you asked a guy something he knows nothing about, then guy had to answer with something, and then you had to write something based on that answer.

TheJoRu

can someone tell me what this guy does?

is he actually making a living from saying stuff like this?

He's an analyst. He does research and analyses on stocks (not just related to video games) and then gives out recommendations on whether to buy, hold or sell. NIntendo being so unpredictable and their future hard to analyze is probably one of the reasons why he dislikes them with such a passion.

While it isn't confusing in theory, one problem with the Wii U was that many consumers seemingly had no idea what it was or what was up with it. With the NX, Nintendo would do well to keep things simple, and I don't think they're going to make it that convoluted. If anything I feel like the handheld would release after the console, if it's indeed a console/handheld hybrid.

It wont be a hybrid. Its going to be a shared platform. like how Microsoft is trying to do retroactively with Windows 10 UWP and Xbox one.

There is no way to make a console/handheld without compromising the functions and design of both.

And I dont see where its convoluted. Nintendo handheld, Nintendo console, Nintendo mobile games. All with shared features and software. Long as they get their branding and marketing right, its actually much more simple.

Neoxon

It would technically still be a dedicated handheld.
But there wouldn't also be a dedicated home console that you could purchase on its own. The idea is to have both the next console & the next handheld be "like brothers". Can't be brothers if you're the only child.

Sorcerer

If the NX is 2 devices Nintendo needs time to ramp up the inventory needed for the 2 power supplies that will cost you extra. 2017 sounds right.

Then they will withhold the power supplies and cause shortages so no one can even plug in their systems.

bman94

He's not saying anything official. He's speculating. Just like most people here in NX threads do. That's not spreading false information.

People get so worked up about Pachter. It's ridiculous.

When you say phrases like "You know..." That usually signifies information that was proven true at one point in time. If he were to say "rumors point to it being a hybrid" or "fan speculation leaves one to believe that the NX is a hybrid" makes it more clear that he's predicting rather spewing things he thinks is fact.

It wont be a hybrid. Its going to be a shared platform. like how Microsoft is trying to do retroactively with Windows 10 and Xbox one.

There is no way to make a console/handheld without compromising the functions and design of both.

I'm just saying after the Wii U it would make sense for them to do something more simple. Dividing things up like this and trying to explain it to consumers might be challenging and that's the last thing they want.

gogogow

He's an analyst. He does research and analysises on stocks (not just related to video games) and then gives out recommendations on whether to buy, hold or sell. NIntendo being so unpredictable and their future hard to analyze is probably one of the reasons why he dislikes them with such a passion.

He still mad Wii HD didn't happen.

WarpathDC

Seriously can I have this guy's job? Get paid to speculate on video games, even with uninformed opinions?

Also, the new Nintendo boss looks Yakuza af. He's going to chop some heads off if the product isn't stellar. I believe.

No, he doesn't make a living from offering opinions about video games. I'm not entirely clear on what his day job is, but I know that his research position at Wedbush involves him covering far more than just video game stocks.
This video sums it up nicely:

https://youtu.be/dBPPO40eH9o

Starts at 10:40.

I think the guy's brilliant and smart and very good at his JOB, but especially great at his leisure activity of ruffling the feathers of many patrons of a certain video game forum. ;)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

His job is to forecast earnings for a large number of video game companies (and a few related industries) and advise major corporate investors on whether it's worth investing in them (or shorting them).

He's actually very good at that and has one of the highest accuracy rates there.

These predictions are somewhat related in that he's speculating at what might happen with the company, but his real job is getting the numbers right before the quarterly results and advising about where the stock is headed.

Like we can actually take one of his most wrong predictions and see how he was actually still right as far as the stock was concerned. Pachter predicted that FUSE would ship 5 million units, but he felt it was irrelevant because it was a low margin external title in a business EA was largely dropping, and that Battlefield 3's upcoming success would instead define the start of EA's resurgence as a hugely successful publisher. FUSE sold more like 500K LTD if even, but his sentiment was correct along with his guidance on the company.

His read here is basically that the NX won't turn around Nintendo's dedicated device situation in a meaningful, long term way. I suspect he's wrong on the specifics of the device, but I don't think that's an especially risky prediction about the nature of the business as a whole.

When you say phrases like "You know..." That usually signifies information that was proven true at one point in time. If he were to say "rumors point to it being a hybrid" or "fan speculation leaves one to believe that the NX is a hybrid" makes it more clear that he's predicting rather spewing things he thinks is fact.

The part after the "you know" is what makes it sound like speculation. I don't think he is saying "you know" in the way you are thinking. It's speech filler, like "like" or "umm". It's not meant to be assertive.

Oersted

Pachter tells the world he doesn't know anything.

Okay.

He's basically just commenting on the rumours form last year. Increasingly looking like it'll be a console with a handheld tie in down the line.

But honestly no one knows.

Absolutely nothing increased.

I'm just saying after the Wii U it would make sense for them to do something more simple. Dividing things up like this and trying to explain it to consumers might be challenging and that's the last thing they want.

im sure far more people understand Iphone ipad and imac than

2DS/3DS/3DSXL/N3DS and WiiU BasiC/WiiU Deluxe/Wii

especially as 3 of these devices have wildly different interfaces.

Hoje0308

Banned
Seriously can I have this guy's job? Get paid to speculate on video games, even with uninformed opinions?

Also, the new Nintendo boss looks Yakuza af. He's going to chop some heads off if the product isn't stellar. I believe.

Yeah, it's annoying when people with little knowledge on the subject make inaccurate statements.

Genio88

I don't know about the release date, though i agree a bit with him when he says that NX could not be a success, it's gonna be pretty tough for Nintendo to repeat the Wii success, today Smartphones and Tablets are huge, i don't really imagine what could they create to appeal consumers...The risk is that, like the WiiU, this console will arrive too late for this gen(Xbox One and PS4) and too early and so underpowered for next gen

bachikarn

I don't agree with a lot of his stuff but he is probably right here

“But I think Nintendo is desperately clinging on to an old business model that is passing them by.”

Nintendo has been disruptive before, but ironically, have been slow to adapt to others disruptions.

wazoo

Yeah, and I'm worried that it might be too late after they bled so much money and markeshare fighting against all the big industry innovations made over the last decade. At this point it'll take a multi-generational effort to reach a stable audience of 40-60 million for a Nintendo home console audience.

Bleeding money is very relative. Sony bled money with the ps3 (3 billion $) whereas Nintendo gained 10B$ in the same timeframe and never really lost money since.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know about the release date, though i agree a bit with him when he says that NX could not be a success, it's gonna be pretty tough for Nintendo to repeat the Wii success, today Smartphones and Tablets are huge, i don't really imagine what could they create to appeal consumers...The risk is that, like the WiiU, this console will arrive too late for this gen(Xbox One and PS4) and too early and so underpowered for next gen
Don't forget the Supplemental Computing Devices. ;)

Shredderi

"Ive got no idea what its going to be..... I dont think its going to be very good"

Wow. What insight.

You do realize he was asked the question so he had to say something. He wasn't going around "hey wanna know what I think about NX?". I mean you do realize this? None of us knows what the NX will be but propably all of us have some kind of picture in our heads about it, he shared his when asked.

Top Bottom