• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter thinks NX will release in 2017, won't be very good.

quesalupa

*Nintendo cries tears of joy*

Actually, what if Pachter is a huge Nintendo fan and he's doing this on purpose? Good guy Pachter.

This is inaccurate. He's a self-confessed gamer -- as much as his job & family allow him. He also talks to industry insiders everyday.

What else do you think it entails? Investors invariably ask Pachter two questions: should I buy or should I sell?

Advise in market's current health and trends. I dont pretend to be right though :p

Hoje0308

Banned
Hey, Fox and DailyMail are still around.

His job isn't to pander to bigots and conspiracy theorists though...

Actually, what if Pachter is a huge Nintendo fan and he's doing this on purpose? Good guy Pachter.

2f11109b3575e1375720b56e54e7c43e5313a7ef_full.jpg

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
This is inaccurate. He's a self-confessed gamer -- as much as his job & family allow him. He also talks to industry insiders everyday.

Because he plays video games doesn't mean that his opinions are based on fandom nessecarily -- it's his job to analyze and predict the trends of the market. This is information that most of us don't follow on the level that he does. So when he says "NX won't be very good", I don't think it's because he hates Nintendo as a company or hates the games, it's because Nintendo has been a very poor company to invest in for the past few years and he doesn't see that trend changing based on a variety of factors.

Pokemaniac

Why all the controversy? The two main takeaways from Pachter's statements are:

Both of these points are pretty straight forward and there's little reason to think that Nintendo is doing much to refute them.

You mean aside from Nintendo's massive internal restructuring, branching out into new markets, and stated goals to adopt a more Android/iOS style model with their new hardware?

spookyfish

So it's okay to trash him when he's wrong, but when he makes a correct prediction he gets no credit? (No wonder he no longer posts here)

That's not what I'm saying.

He's an analyst, who is PAID for his specialized knowledge. It was clear to anyone with half a functioning brain that from the beginning the WiiU was gonna be a flop, from the marketing to the continuation of "casual" gaming, when the bottom had dropped out with the Wii.

He needs to see things others don't see. That's what a true analyst does. From what I can tell, Pachter throws a dart and makes his conclusions.

Oersted

He's an analyst, who is PAID for his specialized knowledge. It was clear to anyone with half a functioning brain that from the beginning the WiiU was gonna be a flop, from the marketing to the continuation of "casual" gaming, when the bottom had dropped out with the Wii.

He needs to see things others don't see. That's what a true analyst does. From what I can tell, Pachter throws a dart and makes his conclusions.

He was wrong on WiiU.

Megatron

The amount of fanatical mob hate that Pachter gets is absurd. Nothing he's said this time is even really inflammatory or some huge leap in logic. Hedging your bets that it won't be a success when there are still wildly different rumors about what the console will even be but will release in the next 9 months or that it will be pushed back to early next year isn't exactly an unreasonable assumption.

So? Do you know what an equity researcher even is? It's his job to give opinions and like Nirolak says he's going off of things he's heard, not discussions he's had with management at the company. People really need to learn more about finance.

Again, please learn what his job is because I don't think you understand. It's not "irresponsible" for him to do his job, this post is so over dramatic.

He admits that has no idea what the nx is. Those are his words. It is irresponsible to 'analyze' something when you have no idea what it is. Hes not doing his job. Doing his job woukd entail actually finding out what the NX is and analyzing that.

Nictel

Back in November Pachter said that "Nintendo has about 60% chance of succeeding with the NX". So uhm what changed?

TimFL

How this guy is still news worthy goes beyond me. I cringe every time I see a Pachter thread on GAF.

He admits that has no idea what the nx is. Those are his words. It is irresponsible to 'analyze' something when you have no idea what it is. Hes not doing his job. Doing his job woukd entail actually finding out what the NX is and analyzing that.

This. This. This. It's literally in the first sentence quoted. For good or ill, people listen to Pachter and when he speaks from a point of ignorance, it damages the industry.

4Tran

You mean aside from Nintendo's massive internal restructuring, branching out into new markets, and stated goals to adopt a more Android/iOS style model with their new hardware?
The only newish venture that Nintendo embarked on with any promise is entering the mobile market. However, that has yet to bear any fruit and even if it's successful, it has little bearing on either NX platforms.

Bear in mind that nothing that Pachter talks about in terms of games and how they do are his day job - he just does it as a hobby. His day job is to analyze the dozen or so stocks that he covers for institutional investors.

With the big steps Nintendo has been taking recently, I don't think the 'old business model' argument is that strong. There will always be the "they should've done this 5 years ago" backlash whenever Nintendo introduces something to improve their infrastructure, and some of their decisions still seem dated compared to others in the industry. However overall it seems Nintendo is stepping out of their comfort zone and that's a good thing. Last time they did that, we had the Wii/DS era and I'm pretty sure that one was preluded with lots of dooom as well.

entremet

When has Patcher been bullish on Nintendo?

He's been pretty unconvinced at their business strategy for as long as I could remember.

fernoca

Pretty much.
He's analizing...nothing. Since he doesn't know what it is but assumes it won't be good because of...things.

An actual analysis (and predictions) would be better when it is announced and we know their plans for launch and in general.

But right now?
Is like saying that the next update to NeoGAF will be bad even though I don't know what it is, based on me not liking something.

bud23

Patcher is always on the money, and of course he is right most of the time

The fact that you don´t like his arguments, doesn't mean he's wrong

But yeah, haters gonna hate

Roshin

That's kinda my fear. Unless it can court and win 3rd parties, grow up in the online space, be as powerful as current consoles, have BC and a unified account system and cross-buy, It might just be a dud for me.

Yes, that's the worry, isn't it? Will they be able to catch up and be competitive or will it be another underpowered Nintendo box with a gimmick of some sort slapped onto it.

I'd like it to be 2017 just to see the Nintendo fans go bananas.

There would be a ton of posts saying "Yeah, makes perfect sense. Good on Nintendo!", "I knew it would release in 2017 all along", etc.

Come on man, you know we can't let facts get in the way of the "Nintendo is the old industry dinosaur" narrative!

Dmonzy

I wouldn't say he's always on the money, he's made quite a few mistakes over the past couple years.

That said, he's making some pretty safe predictions here. He'll probably be right with most of them (except maybe the hybrid part).

joecanada

Nothing he said is very enlightening but it's hard to see what Nintendo can do to hit a home run and that's tough.
He's just kind of stating the obvious but clinging to an old business model as it passes them by seems pretty accurate at this point.
Wii was good concept but relying on that mainstream family market may be tough in iPad times

He has been objectively wrong on counless occassions.
I absolutely remember his "the 3DS should have been more expensive / well it's really dead I mean / the Vita will do better / actually it's dead too " flip flopping.

He predicted the XBone would succeed through TVTVTV and a smartphone-like subscription service. It's in super rough shape pretty much everywhere outside the UK/ US and MS is altering how they do business in response.

He has an awful eye for anything that's not in the western AAA space and even there he is far from good.

this is just wrong.

When your competitors have sold nearly 70M consoles more than you and when your product relies on supply-side synergies (3rd party support) and a "bandwagon effect" on the demand side in a highly elastic market, you can easily make statements to this effect.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Of course he does. This is not the first time Pachter has looked at something Nintendo-related, whilst admitting he has no information about it whatsoever, and assumed it will be rubbish.

Baseless assumption is baseless.

Anth0ny

I think he made a positive prediction towards Nintendo like, one time.

something along the lines of "The Wii U will sell out until March 2013"

Top Bottom