• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter was right about PS4 graphics

Knack already have scenes that could be easly mistaken for Pixar or dreamworks movie and i watched 1080p trailer and there was no any AA problems:

iMTT30pp3jZjg.gif

Right now for me best looking game is Knack simply because it shows terrific IQ that changes some scenes to really CGI looking ones.

That might as well be a Pixar movie, as its just a CG cutscene.

EDIT:
I mean, you could do that on the PSOne, albeit at a lower resolution.

spock

The EXACT same argument was made at the launch of the current generation. And I'll take it one step further. Almost every game on the PS360 launch also appeared on their predecessors.

Why dont you actually pull some people over and test the argument. Show them stuff from the ps2 era and then from ps3 launch and ask what they think. Then do the same now with the ps4.

Test it and see. You only need to do it to a few people to get a good idea what the general consensus is going to be.

Izick

Also, I was bored and decided to watch Microsoft's E3 2005 press conference to get me hyped up for the Nextbox event, and I realized something. I think one of the biggest reasons people were so impressed with the leap (looking back the games don't even look THAT much better) was because of the whole transition to HD and widescreen. That was pretty big, because just watching that conference on Youtube in 360p, you notice when they show off the OG Xbox games and they're all super-grainy and cramped into this square box and it just all looks worse than it actually is. Then you see the Xbox 360 games that look better, but not a whole lot better, but they're in HD and widescreen and they just feel larger and more...real, I guess?

So yeah, just another two cents.

I think he was right.

The fact that GAF seems split down the middle regarding the issue is kind of proof of that.

GAF is split in half because, let's say it this way, "avid supporters of other brand consoles" are being fuckin obnoxious trolls, mainly the ones supportive of italian plumbers and green tunic wearing adventurers.

it's a sizeable jump over what the current gen offers. folks who don't see that have their head stuck in the sand, simple as that.

we talking about the same folks that said God Of War 3 looked like an HD version of 2.

LCGeek

formerly sane
The bigger textures are the more DPI you need to see them. Best example is Witcher 2 and Dark Souls armors. In 720p you won't see many details but when you switch to 1080p those razor sharp textures just pops out from picture and hit your eye with awesomness.

If you do not have real 1080p screen you won't see difference same as people with NTSC CRTs won't see difference between HD and SD.

That doesn't compute. What signal I run through a crt tv or monitor doesn't have anything to do with my dpi levels. My sony trinitons look great because they were built well a crappy crt is just that. You will always see a difference between that level especially if it's 1080p vs 480p and its far more apparent than my samsung or asus lcds.

I've seen better pictures on gdm fw900 than any flat panel screen sans a panasonic one.

velociraptor

We will first hit realism barier.

People should not expect next Gran Turismo to look way better. Already with GT5 especially with overcast weather i had from time to time feeling of uncanny valley. With next GT they will only do more things that this uncanny valley will be more in your face.

Now what will matter most will be the IQ. Because it is IQ that makes this CGI difference. Knack already have scenes that could be easly mistaken for Pixar or dreamworks movie and i watched 1080p trailer and there was no any AA problems:

iMTT30pp3jZjg.gif

Right now for me best looking game is Knack simply because it shows terrific IQ that changes some scenes to really CGI looking ones.

I agree.

news_more_gran_turismo_5_videos-10239.jpg

Mariolee

We will first hit realism barier.

People should not expect next Gran Turismo to look way better. Already with GT5 especially with overcast weather i had from time to time feeling of uncanny valley. With next GT they will only do more things that this uncanny valley will be more in your face.

Now what will matter most will be the IQ. Because it is IQ that makes this CGI difference. Knack already have scenes that could be easly mistaken for Pixar or dreamworks movie and i watched 1080p trailer and there was no any AA problems:

iMTT30pp3jZjg.gif

Finally, video games will be able to look like exactly like Toy Story.

spock

GAF is split in half because, let's say it this way, "avid supporters of other brand consoles" are being fuckin obnoxious trolls, mainly the ones supportive of italian plumbers and green tunic wearing adventurers.

it's a sizeable jump over what the current gen offers. folks who don't see that have their head stuck in the sand, simple as that.

we talking about the same folks that said God Of War 3 looked like an HD version of 2.

Actually I think the folks so adamant about their being this "big leap" are the ones with their head in the sands. These folks want next gen to fit their idea of next gen so bad they see a level of improvement that the majority of people will not. They want to be sold so bad they are literally selling themselves.

People hoped for revolutionary improvements in the visual element but the reality is much more evolutionary. The fact next gen consoles are inline with high end PC's says it all. The improvement is clearly their for consoles but the wow factor is pretty damn low.

I was impressed, and Pachter was wrong. As usual.

He wasn't wrong. The leap isn't as noticeable as non-HD to HD was. It's definitely noticeable though, and anyone that thinks we're going to have a hard time discerning the differences between the PS4 version of Watch Dogs and the 360/Wiiu/PS3 versions is deluded.

ticl

Banned
For once, I'd have to agree with the guy.

The visuals, while definitely pretty, did not feel like a substantial leap over PS3.

Am I the only one that feels like we're truly getting diminishing returns?
i dont see much improvement over launch wii u games. dont beleave anything from sony anyways. they said killzone for the ps3 at revealing was gameplay. later it was learned it was cg and they blatently lied about it. most of the improvements in ps4 is sharing. i have a pc for facebook

I haven't really seen much that couldn't be accomplished on current console hardware. A lot of the KZ footage was scripted(and some of those scripted parts are what people are going crazy for)

It's a jump over a lot of current console games, but it's not huge. We'll never see the leaps we have in the past. PS1 to PS2 and then to PS3 were all large even with early titles. This one not so much.

I haven't really seen much that couldn't be accomplished on current console hardware. A lot of the KZ footage was scripted(and some of those scripted parts are what people are going crazy for).

you think that geometry, texture quality, image quality, particle effects and lightning could be achieved this gen? really?

and what does being scripted have to do with graphical fidelity?

am i reading these posts from actual people, not bots? it's giving me cancer.

you think that geometry, texture quality, image quality, particle effects and lightning could be achieved this gen? really?

You say this as if it's super impressive. It's fine if some of have had your minds blown, but I haven't. (I'm also not alone)

Graphical fidelity and overall amazing IQ are easily pulled off when what you're showing is linear and not player controlled.

spock

Do you actually think the majority of potential console buyers say things like... "wow, look at those particle effects and that killer geometry man!"

Its not that the improvements are not noticeable, its there not glaringly obvious to most. For the majority of people they will say "yea it looks good", but as of right now there is no "holy sh*t, check that out" level of improvement or experience.

Do you actually think the majority of potential console buyers say things like... "wow, look at those particle effects and that killer geometry man!"

Its not that the improvements are not noticeable, its there not glaringly obvious to most. For the majority of people they will say "yea it looks good", but as of right now there is no "holy sh*t, check that out" level of improvement or experience.

this^

Graphical fidelity and overall amazing IQ are easily pulled off when what you're showing is linear and not player controlled.

ok, so, the only good looking games with good IQ will be the linear ones where the player doesn't have any input? gotcha. don't bother circling around, it's what you just implied.

saving this gem of a post for a later date.

@spock

i didn't even mention potenctial buyers or whatever.

i'm responding to a post saying that Killzone Shadow Fall's demo, and i quote, "seen much that couldn't be accomplished on current console hardware", which is factually wrong on every way possible.

Sure there's a visual leap, but not one you're going to notice outside of large detailed areas. Most games won't look better than this generation unless thay are explicitly designed to take advantage of the extra power. Some genres will certainly benefit but most games don't have you constantly flying over huge glass metropolises. In close quarters, the average consumer won't likely see a difference. Last gen already hit the graphics ceiling in many design scenarios.

velociraptor

I doubt most people will say the same of Crysis 3 running at max settings in 1080p to be honest, despite that fact that I can tell it is actually a generational leap compared to what we have now.

But I think that's because PS3/360 graphics, by large, are actually very good.

But keep in mind that the games that have been shown so far are launch titles. I expect things to only get better from now. Frankly, KZSF substantially blows away everything on the PS3 and 360 based on that small video we have seen.

ok, so, the only good looking games with good IQ will be the linear ones where the player doesn't have any input? gotcha. don't bother circling around, it's what you just implied.

saving this gem of a post for a later date.

Save it...write it down...take a picture lol

Don't care. Means nothing

While early in development, take a look around at those glaringly obvious flat textures in this shot

KZ4_Blast6.jpg

Again, it looks good for a console game, but I'm not blown away.

i'm responding to a post saying that Killzone Shadow Fall's demo, and i quote, "seen much that couldn't be accomplished on current console hardware", which is factually wrong on every way possible.

LMFAO

ANYTHING is possible with sacrifices and the right optimizations.

While early in development

yes.

take a look around at those glaringly obvious flat textures in this shot

still better than what we have now. and i must assume they'll get better because...

While early in development

there you go.

Halo could also run on the NES as a Contra-style shooter, that doesn't help your point (do you even have one?) at all.

Perfectly said. Resistance was a launch game, but resistance 3 looks a lot better on the same hardware. Uncharted vs Uncharted 3, same situation

While 3 is superior in just about every way, there were some set pieces in DF than 2 and 3 just can't touch IMHO.

yes.

still better than what we have now. and i must assume they'll get better because...

there you go.

Halo could also run on the NES as a Contra-style shooter, that doesn't help your point (do you even have one?) at all.

You're reaching now lol

You took what I said and ran with it all the way back to the NES.

Did you really expect a $400-$500 console to provide a HUGE leap in visuals over what is currently offered? (especially in the way of Sony exclusives)I'm more impressed with Ascension and Last of Us *shrugs*

Can you actually tell me what's happening on screen that just simply wouldn't be possible on the PS3?

next gen graphics WILL be so much more impressive than current gen.

you people have no idea how much better games will look. I don't know either, but I'm aware of the fact that I don't know.

Of course the raw impact won't be the same as going from ps2 to PS3. How can people even expect something like that? I'll tell you how, they aren't thinking about what they are saying.

The realizations of worlds that will come about thanks to these consoles will make what we've seen seem so utterly hollow and devoid of life

charsace

Its a huge leap to me. The shaders are much better than what you see in this gen's games. Some of the stuff that looks like CGI is realtime.

You're actually impressed with the textures in SF? lol I can't take your thoughts and opinions away from ya. *shrugs*
Don't shrug. You're making a complete fool out of yourself.
Watch the uncompressed footage or screens and look at the texture detail on the main characters and take into account the resolution.

I agree that not everything is up to par right now, but this is an alpha build. Still, no console game this gen comes close in this regard.

All the rubble has high res detail ( as well as being geometric / 3d as in not flat textures of rubble) the concrete, etc.
Seriously. You are either trolling or really fucking blind. OR you haven't actually taken the trouble to WATCH.

szaromir

Banned
That's bullshit sorry. NES - SNES - PS1 - PS2 games all looked great on a nice SD display.
If by great you mean you weren't aware of any better possibilities, than I'd agree. But image quality was craptastic, just look at PS2 games - jaggies galore, shimmering textures everywhere etc. Throw in low resolution and it's painful to look at.

zoukka

If by great you mean you weren't aware of any better possibilities, than I'd agree. But image quality was craptastic, just look at PS2 games - jaggies galore, shimmering textures everywhere etc. Throw in low resolution and it's painful to look at.

Eh, we had small TV's and native resolution games (which we didn't have in the PS3 gen). The games looked soft and the SD image quality wasn't the shit that the first LCD screens offered for years.

The games look like crap if you watch screens of them on a high def display for sure, but at the time, nobody complained about the image quality of consoles. The games also tended to have higher framerates and less effects and filters that poison some of the last gen games IQ.

heyf00L

The problem is we've seen almost all of it before, but we had trade offs. We'd get amazing textures/models or lighting, but lower IQ or vice-versa. Next gen will give it to us all together.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
considering i posted a direct feed shot from the demo video and you posted a 1080p bullshot of a 720p game, yeah, "that" looks a generation ahead.

Nah.

I think the reason for all of this is pretty clear. We're seeing diminishing returns in the Polygon Wars. The PS3 can already push "enough." That flying thing in the SF shot you linked, there is nothing there that the PS3 couldn't do, in terms of building that model. And it could fake its way with normal maps and all manner of effects to make it seem like it's drawing more polys than it is. What we get from the PS4 is hugely better lighting and texturing. And yes, those are great, but they aren't what people usually expect from a new generation. They want MORE POLYGONS. More highly detailed geometry.

And duh, it does more polygons. But when you're showing off a scene that the PS3 could already do: namely 100% of the on-foot parts of the SF demo, it's not going to impress as much. But the shots that show SCALE, the flyover of the city, then you go "oh shit" because it's pushing far more geometry than the PS3 could ever hope to achieve. THAT'S where you see the generation gap. But on-foot in that demo, where all we have are new effects and textures and lighting on the skeleton of what might as well be a PS3 game? That's where it fails to impress as much.

McLovin

I thought the visuals were amazing. Especially considering how much detail you lose when streaming video online. Even in 1080p.

You're actually impressed with the textures in SF? lol I can't take your thoughts and opinions away from ya. *shrugs*

It's a pretty big leap, if you can't see that, than sorry I can't take your poor opinions away from ya.
The problem is we've seen almost all of it before, but we had trade offs. We'd get amazing textures/models or lighting, but lower IQ or vice-versa. Next gen will give it to us all together.

Watching that video in 1080p and then replaying Killzone 2, was telling... it's amazing how far we've come

Save it...write it down...take a picture lol

Don't care. Means nothing

While early in development, take a look around at those glaringly obvious flat textures in this shot

KZ4_Blast6.jpg

Again, it looks good for a console game, but I'm not blown away.

LMFAO

killzone-1-15.jpg

A bit of a side note: it's weird to think how far we've come with graphics. The original Killzone is almost a decade old. At the time, it's graphics would have passed as "good for a console game", too. In 2004, I couldn't have fathomed a game looking as good as Killzone SF. 10 years from now, who knows how good games will look?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Nah.

I think the reason for all of this is pretty clear. We're seeing diminishing returns in the Polygon Wars. The PS3 can already push "enough." That flying thing in the SF shot you linked, there is nothing there that the PS3 couldn't do, in terms of building that model. And it could fake its way with normal maps and all manner of effects to make it seem like it's drawing more polys than it is. What we get from the PS4 is hugely better lighting and texturing. And yes, those are great, but they aren't what people usually expect from a new generation. They want MORE POLYGONS. More highly detailed geometry.

And duh, it does more polygons. But when you're showing off a scene that the PS3 could already do: namely 100% of the on-foot parts of the SF demo, it's not going to impress as much. But the shots that show SCALE, the flyover of the city, then you go "oh shit" because it's pushing far more geometry than the PS3 could ever hope to achieve. THAT'S where you see the generation gap. But on-foot in that demo, where all we have are new effects and textures and lighting on the skeleton of what might as well be a PS3 game? That's where it fails to impress as much.
I would get a PS4 for the IQ improvements alone. I could plug it up to my PC monitor without wanting to scratch my eyes out.

But, apples to apples, it's clear that they're improving far more than just the IQ.

You seem certain. Do you have evidence to support that theory?

Errr... no, I don't have 'evidence' that what is quite clearly a cutscene is in fact a cutscene.

More than half of the Knack trailer is cutscenes. Are people unable to tell what is and isn't gameplay footage anymore?

DBT85

Errr... no, I don't have 'evidence' that what is quite clearly a cutscene is in fact a cutscene.

More than half of the Knack trailer is cutscenes. Are people unable to tell what is and isn't gameplay footage anymore?

I think that is going to be more and more the case with this generation.

Top Bottom