• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter: Wii U a "mistake Nintendo may never recover from"

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
If Nintendo, with 20 billion in cash reserves, can't recover then they don't deserve to.

Stark

Banned
Chû Totoro;47889998 said:
Of course they do but the purpose of an analyst is to find what has the most chances to happen or at least understand what had and will happen and why.

I can say random things and they may eventually happen... one day.

Apple profits will go really really down !

Oh yeah, definitely. otherwise you'd be fired. But this isn't his job, he doesn't have to analyze extensively to see, he can just pull shit out of his ass because the media asks him to. So there's not much valid reason to say "when will he shut up" or something like that.

I think that's coming true!

each week Pachter is a step higher.
In 2 months he will reveal that Iwata buys and sells babies' organs.

Yeah, yeah, Mike, Nintendo is dead, we know.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Pachter is right (gasp) that the WiiU is a mistake the Nintendo home console business won't recover from, hence the almost inevitable hybrid HD device that will follow the 3DS.
The "inevitable" or the "he's right they won't revover" are the worst kind of posts. Let the doubt play his part.

Vinci

Danish
That lack of licensing revenue's a huge deal. If they're putting out a system that only exists to play first-party games, that's where the road to Sega-hood begins. I love Nintendo, but they have made decisions with this hardware cycle that have put them into an incredibly precarious position moving forward.

It's like you haven't been watching what's been happening to 3rd party support on Nintendo consoles for the last three generations. It hasn't been good. The vast majority of Nintendo's profits and share growth has resulted from its own efforts, with little to do with 3rd parties.

The only reason Nintendo hit huge with the Wii was due to some extremely appropriate software to coincide with a blue ocean idea. Now that they don't have that, because it's not easy to accomplish that generation after generation, they're going to struggle but probably turn a profit in the end.

Am I saying they're in great shape? No. I'm not delusional. What I am saying is that tying it to their difficulties with 3rd parties is a bit off, 'cause that's been the status quo for quite a while now.

The wii U just needs some of that secret sauce.

13612156190763yerf.gif

all over Pachters smelly face.

Pachter guessed 750k Wii Us sold in December. He overestimated by about 350k. I thought 100k was his way of ensuring he'd never overshoot the mark again, and then 57k happened in a rare month for NPDs that included an extra week of sales. Safe to say no one really predicted the Wii U would be this big of a bomb.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
The Gamecube era was propped up by the GBA. I dont think the 3DS is putting up anywhere near GBA revenue.

Nintendo will likely converge the Wii and DS lines into something new. Its about that time, and it'll work out for them, I feel. The Wii U bombing hard worldwide in every territory doesn't take away from Nintendo's potential, just their presence.
I think that would be for the best tbh. From both a business and consumer standpoint, it's starting to make sense. I've spent $600 (launch 3DS & Wii U) for machines that are primarily for Nintendo games. For comparison, I spent $400 ($200 less) for a Wii and DS at launch. Consumers aren't going to continue to do that especially if there isn't some compelling gameplay hook to lure them in like Wii & DS. In fact, the signs are there that they have already given up on that and gone elsewhere.

Right now, it makes more sense for them to put all their games on one system - I prefer a hybrid choice. It will also be easier for Nintendo to support one system and just focus on that especially since consumers have shown they buy a Nintendo system in conjunction with a competitor system. I don't even know if it's possible, but it would be clutch if they could scale down that guts of Wii U and put it in a handheld by 2015. If they did that and fixed their DD account management, I think it may help. They could at least use something like that to tide them over until they had reason to release another dedicated console. As it stands right now, with the Wii U, they don't.

He really is dumb. Nintendo to have an amazing recovery confirmed.

I honestly don't understand the intent of posts like this. What -- besides not liking Michael Pachter or what he's saying here -- makes his analysis so egregious. I can see having a different take than him on what's about to happen, but is it really necessary to insult his intelligence and proceed to not even argue against his observation outside of professing that he's always so off the mark that the opposite occurs?

shandy706

Despite my calling him an idiot...I'm a little worried he may be a little right this time.

I don't see a huge market for the WiiU, at least not one that includes the millions of casual players/people that the Wii captured.

He's still a turd though, LOL

kirblar

Pachter simply takes whatever direction the hype is blowing and amplifies it a thousandfold in order to make people read what he says. He's essentially a sports columnist who's paid to get attention who writes about video games instead.

braves01

Banned
Pachter is horrible at prediction. Nothing but reactionary comments coming out of his mouth.

News that Wii U preorders are sold out? Pachter: Wii U sold out through April.

News that Wii U sales are very bad? Pachter: Nintendo is doomed.

Basically, Pachter reads the news and extrapolates without deeper analysis.

Vinci

Danish
I honestly don't understand the intent of posts like this. What -- besides not liking Michael Pachter or what he's saying here -- makes his analysis so egregious. I can see having a different take than him on what's about to happen, but is it really necessary to insult his intelligence and proceed to not even argue against his observation outside of professing that he's always so off the mark that the opposite occurs?

There is a bandwagon. Some people jump on board. I don't like it either, nor do I appreciate the fascination GAF has with the guy (though I suspect it has something to do with calling an alleged authority figure 'stupid').

Oh yeah, definitely. otherwise you'd be fired. But this isn't his job, he doesn't have to analyze extensively to see, he can just pull shit out of his ass because the media asks him to. So there's not much valid reason to say "when will he shut up" or something like that.

I think that's coming true!
oh ok. I'm just barking after him for nothing then... if it's not his job, please media people, don't ask him such things.

And yeah ;)

Pociask

After seeing the entire section dedicated to Skylanders figurines in Walmart, I am beginning to understand Iwata's bold prediction for a complete turnaround. If Skylanders is that huge, imagine how much Nintendo stand to make with X/Y + figurines + some type of Pokemon Battle Stadium game on Wii U.

I'm kind of surprised Nintendo hasn't been much more proactive with this. They already sell Nintendo toys. They already sell video games. Their brand new video game console has the NFC reader.

I'm not saying he's a great business mind, but if Bobby Kotick was in charge of Nintendo, does anyone doubt what Nintendo would be selling, right now?
Yearly sequels and expansion packs desperate to mantain their popularity. /snark
. Pokemon Wii U would be a launch game - catch 'em all, or buy 'em all. Or catch em' all, except for the ones you can only buy! Or what about for New Super Mario Bros U? Buy the base package, you can only play as Mario, Luigi, and random toads. But hey, buy the official NSBMU figuirines, and you can unlock the ability to play as Peach, Daisy, Toad, Toadette, Metal Mario, Donkey Kong, Petey Pirhanna, etc. etc. etc.

Amir0x

Banned
Thanks, Pachter!

Stay strong fellow Wii U owners--looks like the 2nd half of this year is going to be huge!

for some reason all I could think of is

Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter! Spear shall be shaken, shield be splintered, a sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now, ride now! Ride for ruin… and the world’s ending! Death! Death! Forth WiiU Owners!

Vinci

Danish
I'm kind of surprised Nintendo hasn't been much more proactive with this. They already sell Nintendo toys. They already sell video games. Their brand new video game console has the NFC reader.

I'm not saying he's a great business mind, but if Bobby Kotick was in charge of Nintendo, does anyone doubt what Nintendo would be selling, right now?
Yearly sequels and expansion packs desperate to mantain their popularity. /snark
. Pokemon Wii U would be a launch game - catch 'em all, or buy 'em all. Or catch em' all, except for the ones you can only buy! Or what about for New Super Mario Bros U? Buy the base package, you can only play as Mario, Luigi, and random toads. But hey, buy the official NSBMU figuirines, and you can unlock the ability to play as Peach, Daisy, Toad, Toadette, Metal Mario, Donkey Kong, Petey Pirhanna, etc. etc. etc.

This is honestly where I thought they were heading this generation, from the start. Not sure why it's taking so long. The system is perfect for it.

Nintendo to come back and sell more WiiU's than Orbis/Durango combin-

...yeah that's run it's course. I see where he's coming from on this, but we still haven't seen Nintendo's biggest hitters/system sellers yet.

No we haven't but with the Wii, when they didn't have the biggest hits or possible system sellers out at the beginning, they had many more consoles sold.

KaYotiX

Banned
Their last 2 releases have been misfires. The 3D function on the 3ds is hardly used and the Wiiu was poorly marketed.

Luckily the 3ds has the games to back it up at this time.

And just like the 3DS after 8-9 months the WiiU will have games also. Nintendo is just REALLY slow when it comes to bringing the GOOD games to its systems.

Glass Rebel

It's like you haven't been watching what's been happening to 3rd party support on Nintendo consoles for the last three generations. It hasn't been good. The vast majority of Nintendo's profits and share growth has resulted from its own efforts, with little to do with 3rd parties.

The only reason Nintendo hit huge with the Wii was due to some extremely appropriate software to coincide with a blue ocean idea. Now that they don't have that, because it's not easy to accomplish that generation after generation, they're going to struggle but probably turn a profit in the end.

Am I saying they're in great shape? No. I'm not delusional. What I am saying is that tying it to their difficulties with 3rd parties is a bit off, 'cause that's been the status quo for quite a while now.

The third-party situation is coming back to bite them in the ass though. Or at least Nintendo's unwillingness or inability to respond to it. They will have a hard time providing two constant streams of software for two platforms by themselves and I am not entirely sure if they're appropriately expanding.

Any professional advisors closer? Sounds like Pachter was on point.

c'mon son

check your snarkiness detector

Schnozberry

After seeing the entire section dedicated to Skylanders figurines in Walmart, I am beginning to understand Iwata's bold prediction for a complete turnaround. If Skylanders is that huge, imagine how much Nintendo stand to make with X/Y + figurines + some type of Pokemon Battle Stadium game on Wii U.

Hard to argue with it. Even if they just go with NFC based Pokemon cards, it will end up printing money in short order.

Vinci

Danish
The third-party situation is coming back to bite them in the ass though. Or at least Nintendo's unwillingness or inability to respond to it. They will have a hard time providing two constant streams of software for two platforms by themselves and I am not entirely sure if they're appropriately expanding.

They're expanding. But that's a very risky process and takes a lot of care. There's really nothing they could do about the 3rd party situation, particularly in the West. I think the 3DS and Wii U are just hitting during a very transitional period in general for the industry, which makes me wonder how well the PS4 and Durango are going to do unless they pull something really clever and distinct off.

Wolfie5

I don't know why some are complaining about Pachter. His predictions are almost always spot on. You just need to know how to read his predictions.

Formula goes like this:
(positive/negative)Pachter prediction * -1 = True prediction

Example:
Pachter predicts Wii U will be sold out until March. Positive Pachter prediction. Let us put this in the formula to get the truth:

Positive Pachter prediction * -1 = Negative Pachter prediction. True prediction is that Wii U will not sell out until March. Good prediction Pachter!

Cheebo

Banned
Wait, people in this thread still think 3DS is doing good? Are you serious?

Nintendo had to massively cut software forecasts from 70 million to 50 million after software sales for 3DS started to collapse after winter 2011.

3DS hardware is trending down every month and year over year. Nintendo's initial FY 2012 projections were 18.5 million, then halfway through the year they took it down to 17 million, then a few months ago down to 15 million. And they are likely going to miss that 15 million number too.

3DS is doing good in one region, Japan. Everywhere else it is struggling. It cannot prop up WiiU like GBA did to GCN. It won't match GBA hardware sales and it's software sales are so far much worse than GBA's were.

Jezbollah

This thread reminds me - has that show/podcast regarding Neogaf seen release yet?

I know from when I used to work with fund managers in an investment management company that if there was analysts who were so wayward and flipflopping on their "analysis" (something Pachter gets paid to do) they would be ridiculed just as much in the City than they would be on internet message boards...

kirblar

There is a bandwagon. Some people jump on board. I don't like it either, nor do I appreciate the fascination GAF has with the guy (though I suspect it has something to do with calling an alleged authority figure 'stupid').
There are tons of guys like Pachter all over sports "journalism." But since Sports is entertainment, no one really is all that bothered when they get things wrong because it's not "supposed" to be taken seriously and the people who actually make decisions (managers, bookies, sports bettors) aren't listening to them anyway. Pachter, though, reports on Gaming from a business perspective claiming to have "analysis", though, and because of that there's both a higher expectation that someone actually know what they're talking about as well as the ability to go back and check their work.

KAP151

While it's been a very ho-hum start to the life-cycle, they aint going anywhere, anytime soon.

Another ridiculous 'analysis'

nordique

Yeah, pretty much. It could be a huge thing with the kiddies.

Skylanders is not even a blip in my life, and I had no idea how big it really is.

Its absolutely massive.

Disney is jumping on board with their new IP and Pokémon would be huge if it happened.

jett

D-Member
Well, it's certainly looking like an extremely uphill battle to turn the console around. To call it a mistake Nintendo may never recover from is a bit much.

"Iwata, stop playing with yourself"

/Iwata's mom

Iwata: (laughs)

Vinci

Danish
There are tons of guys like Pachter all over sports "journalism." But since Sports is entertainment, no one really is all that bothered when they get things wrong because it's not "supposed" to be taken seriously and the people who actually make decisions (managers, bookies, sports bettors) aren't listening to them anyway. Pachter, though, reports on Gaming from a business perspective claiming to have "analysis", though, and because of that there's both a higher expectation that someone actually know what they're talking about as well as the ability to go back and check their work.

Hmm. Nah, I think people just like to call a professional analyst 'stupid.' It's fun, after all, to feel smarter than a professional.

farnham

Banned
Wait, people in this thread still think 3DS is doing good? Are you serious?

Nintendo had to massively cut software forecasts from 70 million to 50 million after software sales for 3DS started to collapse after winter 2011.

3DS hardware is trending down every month and year over year. Nintendo's initial FY 2012 projections were 18.5 million, then halfway through the year they took it down to 17 million, then a few months ago down to 15 million. And they are likely going to miss that 15 million number too.

3DS is doing good in one region, Japan. Everywhere else it is struggling. It cannot prop up WiiU like GBA did to GCN. It won't match GBA hardware sales and it's software sales are so far much worse than GBA's were.

Yes, they did have a horrible lineup the last half of 2012 though. For some reasons nintendo failed to get out big games like animal crossing to drive sales. They are now having those in 2013.. In the west 3ds is going to have luigis mansion, mario golf, mario and luigi rpg, animal crossing and most importantly pokemon

Taurus

If you throw enough shit on the wall, some of it might stick. Even if it is just a tiny poop ball.

Keep on throwing Patcher!

Vinci

Danish
Yes, they did have a horrible lineup the last half of 2012 though. For some reasons nintendo failed to get out big games like animal crossing to drive sales. They are now having those in 2013.. In the west 3ds is going to have luigis mansion, mario golf, mario and luigi rpg, animal crossing and most importantly pokemon

'going to have' means you're assuming that those titles will drive adoption massively in the West, no?

kirblar

Hmm. Nah, I think people just like to call a professional analyst 'stupid.' It's fun, after all, to feel smarter than a professional.
Disagree. Everyone felt like they're smarter than Nintendo's Wii U branding team and it ended up feeling awful! :(

Vinci

Danish
Disagree. Everyone felt like they're smarter than Nintendo's Wii U branding team and it ended up feeling awful! :(

Haha. Let's agree to disagree, shall we? =)

Yes i would think so given the appeal of those titles to the kids audience.

Understood. I'm just saying it's an assumption. People assumed NSMB U would drive Wii U adoption significantly, for example.

Top Bottom