• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pakistan's defense minister tweets nuclear threat to Israel after...reading fake news

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/24/w...er=rss&emc=rss&smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

A fake news article led to gunfire at a Washington pizzeria three weeks ago. Now it seems that another fake news story has prompted the defense minister of Pakistan to threaten to go nuclear.

The defense minister, Khawaja Muhammad Asif, wrote a saber-rattling Twitter post directed at Israel on Friday after a false report — which the minister apparently believed — that Israel had threatened Pakistan with nuclear weapons. Both countries have nuclear arsenals.

“Israeli def min threatens nuclear retaliation presuming pak role in Syria against Daesh,” the minister wrote on his official Twitter account, using an Arabic acronym for the Islamic State. “Israel forgets Pakistan is a Nuclear state too.”

Mr. Asif appeared to be reacting to a fake news article published on awdnews.com.

That story, with the typo-laden headline “Israeli Defense Minister: If Pakistan send ground troops to Syria on any pretext, we will destroy this country with a nuclear attack,” appeared on the website on Dec. 20, alongside articles with headlines like “Clinton is staging a military coup against Trump.”

The fake story about Israel even misidentified the country’s defense minister, attributing quotations to a former minister, Moshe Yaalon. Israel’s current minister of defense is Avigdor Lieberman.

It's good to know that so many nuclear states are led by people that can't tell reality from fiction. This is good. Nothing bad can come from this.

DarkKyo

Honestly it's surprising to me that mankind and this planet still exist seeing as how we're all so fucking stupid. Only a matter of time...

DavidDesu

Right now a million Heath Ledger's Joker fans are scrambling to come up with fake stories to bring a nuclear holocaust! And sadly our world leaders and military would likely all take the bait, especially with Trump in charge. Oh dear.

c4jt321.png

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I'm telling you, there's a part of older people who haven't grown up with the internet and they don't know that most of it is just dumb BS anyone can post are not ready for it. But they are all using it now, it's frightening.
We have a certain digital common sense and they never developed it.

King_Moc

Banned
I'm telling you, there's a part of older people who haven't grown up with the internet and they don't know that most of it is just dumb BS anyone can post are not ready for it. But they are all using it now, it's frightening.

You're giving them too much credit. They believe this shit because they want to believe it. It's just feeding their lust for hate.

pantheon

Neo Member
Defence Ministry in Pakistan is a rather useless and ceremonial institution. Most people don't even know who their Defence Minister is.

Its really got to feel surreal for the long standing news organizations who spent a century plus trying to build credibility, and then a mere 15 years of mainstream Internet and politicians calling you "lamestream media" and suddenly every Tom, Dick, and Newstand on the Web has equal standing in the eyes of the public.

How the fuck was Kojima so right?

In 500 years the historians are going to have to sort through terabytes of bullshit to piece together what society was actually like today.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...smaying-inability-to-tell-fake-news-from-real

It's not specific to any generation, most people are do not rigorously question the accuracy of a story they read.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Its really got to feel surreal for the long standing news organizations who spent a century plus trying to build credibility, and then a mere 15 years of mainstream Internet and politicians calling you "lamestream media" and suddenly every Tom, Dick, and Newstand on the Web has equal standing in the eyes of the public.

How the fuck was Kojima so right?

In 500 years the historians are going to have to sort through terabytes of bullshit to piece together what society was actually like today.
Historians? In the nuclear wasteland soon to come? Don't make me laugh.

sazzy

500 years ago, all the people involved in this would've been eaten by a lion.

Now they make fake websites, tweet, and share articles on Facebook.

This seems like a very bad idea in an era of authoritarian governments who could use that to filter articles out that they don't like.

I meant in the direct advisory circle of officials, not wholesale on the entire population. But technically the objective selection of relevant news is what the media as a 'fourth power' is already supposed to do.
The threat you worry about has already happened with the Murdochs, Kochs, and so on. See Daily Mail, see Fox News, etc.

At this point it's just fighting rationality with rationality until states decide to bring in a global fairness doctrine or something. They would never agree on the terms, of course, so that won't happen, but perhaps the threat of fake news causing disaster can push the UN in that direction anyway.
But more worryingly, the US completely dominates the media landscape and as such, bears most of the responsibility for any future disaster caused by fake news, wherever they may occur. There is no such thing as 'isolationism' now and that's not some little thing that can be ignored.

And btw, with net neutrality threatened already, it's not like the GOP isn't going to try and cut down even giants like Google down, thereby affecting relevant search results and information flows. We're past the bargaining stage, is what I'm getting at.

Did they actually contact him for a comment? How do we know that this twitter isn't just run by an unpaid intern? Maybe they don't know that in the new Trump century that twitter is the primary channel for international diplomacy.

I have been thinking and this isn't exactly related but twitter just shut itself down for the common good. Internet should crowdfund some money and buy them out and shut them down. Not like they are expensive.

Whatever benefit they provide is not more than the consequences the world will face when Trump says some dumb shit on Twitter and diplomacy takes a back seat. And you can bet your fucking ass he will be tweeting dumb shit after inauguration.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
On another topic, I wonder what happens if Russia decides to just do a preemptive nuclear strike against us, and despite all of his military advisors alerting him, Trump decides they're all wrong and it's not really happening.

cdyhybrid

All those theories about civilizations wiping themselves out before they can achieve Type II status were correct, weren't they?

On another topic, I wonder what happens if Russia decides to just do a preemptive nuclear strike against us, and despite all of his military advisors alerting him, Trump decides they're all wrong and it's not really happening.

Why would Russia nuke us when Putin can just call Trump up and ask for whatever he needs?

At the very least Nuclear submarines are there to retaliate with standing orders. The systems are not designed to allow one side to "win" a nuclear war with no response.

Mutually assured destruction still exists. There's a reason no one has used nukes since WW2. The deterrence is real.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Honestly it's surprising to me that mankind and this planet still exist seeing as how we're all so fucking stupid. Only a matter of time...

This is a part of a trend started by Trump whose stupidity as a amateur politician knows no bounds

I'm glad our future national security advisor hasn't fallen for fake news.

At the very least Nuclear submarines are there to retaliate with standing orders. The systems are not designed to allow one side to "win" a nuclear war with no response.
US nuclear submarines can not launch without an order (the UKs can)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom