• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pakistan's defense minister tweets nuclear threat to Israel after...reading fake news

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrkSage

alright, ruling out the ice caps melting, meteors becoming crashed into us, the ozone layer leaving and the sun exploding, we are definitely going to blow ourselves up.

watershed

Banned
Fake news and the post-truth reality we all live in is gonna spell the end of humanity. There's too much stupid and too little accountability. We're seeing it everywhere.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I'm glad our future national security advisor hasn't fallen for fake news.

US nuclear submarines can not launch without an order (the UKs can)

I'm trying to imagine what Trump would probably be tweeting at 3AM after he got the call about an incoming strike, rather than giving any orders.

"Chicken Little generals making up stories about nuclear war! Sad!"

Plum

I come into OT after a full day of chilling on the Gaming side and the first thing I see is this.

Fucking someone just shut down Twitter already for fucks sake. I'm so sick of that website and its willingness to allow speech that can literally kill and potentially start wars.

I come into OT after a full day of chilling on the Gaming side and the first thing I see is this.

Fucking someone just shut down Twitter already for fucks sake. I'm so sick of that website and its willingness to allow speech that can literally kill and potentially start wars.

Its the whole fucking internet though. Its all gone fucking rotten. Everything is just stupid memes and fake news.

Plum

Its the whole fucking internet though. Its all gone fucking rotten. Everything is just stupid memes and fake news.

Of course, though if Twitter and Facebook actually did something it would be easier to contain.

...I just can't shake the feeling that we're going to end up destroying ourselves in the next 10 years. The anxiety is fucking horrible.

D i Z

You guys do know that using propaganda to disrupt social stability, credible information, and a nudge for governmental upheaval (even in the modern age) predates Hideo Kojima games, right? Idiocracy was no scrying pool either.

There's a part of me that says erase twitter from this timeline, but then you realize without twitter this guy would have read a story and just believed it, instead of having it hilighted by real news and having twitter users reply saying the quote wasn't real.

There's a part of me that says erase twitter from this timeline, but then you realize without twitter this guy would have read a story and just believed it, instead of having it hilighted by real news and having twitter users reply saying the quote wasn't real.

Somebody who works for him likely would have identified it as fake before he ever made it to the microphone. Social media allowed him to lash out immediately on a platform where such statements spread like an airborne plague. Worse still, this threat of nuclear retaliation is comprised of less than two dozen words, three of which are abbreviated. Not a lot of room there for nuance.

There are lots of people who do not pay attention to real news or even bother to investigate when commenters call a link out as fake.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
You guys do know that using propaganda to disrupt social stability, credible information, and a nudge for governmental upheaval (even in the modern age) predates Hideo Kojima games, right? Idiocracy was no scrying pool either.
Seriously, I'd love to stop hearing about both as if they were paragons of original thought. Read some history, read some older literature, etc.

Future

One thing you quickly realize after growing up is that all those adults you thought had it together are actually idiots

I mean this is a video game forum where every single mainline MGS game (except V) has won GOTY and every member would still worship Kojima as a demigod if not for MGSV.

alright, ruling out the ice caps melting, meteors becoming crashed into us, the ozone layer leaving and the sun exploding, we are definitely going to blow ourselves up.

cea.jpg

Screen the organization and not each article.

There are government issued licenses and regulations for all sorts of industries, why not the media as well?

There were, you used to have to reapply for an FCC license and at the time had to legitimately prove you were broadcasting actual news but because of deregulation any jackass with money to buy a radio/tv station can air whatever BS as "news". Its why right wing radio and cables "news" exists this went unchecked and has jumped onto the internet which honestly is the fucking wild west there is zero accountability there.

Madness

Mutually assured destruction still exists. There's a reason no one has used nukes since WW2. The deterrence is real.

Only the US and Russia have mutually assured destruction as they are roughly equal in nuclear capabilities. Otherwise against other nuclear states, they are easily able to destroy their enemies in a first and second strike. You could say China is getting up there the more they improve their ballistic missiles.

The real reason no one has used nukes since WW2 is that it would probably be the worst crime against humanity committed and that the Soviets wanted to nuke China but the US prevented them, the US wanted to possibly nuke India to save Pakistan from losing in 71 and losing East Pakistan aka Bangladesh and the Soviets stopped them. Beyond those two other nations, who else would use nukes? The british? The french? Who else has gotten into a major or all out war that nukes would be needed?

Humans are emotional, you'd be stupid to think in a major war they won't do stupid things. Look at shooting downs of civilian airliners for shits and giggles in Ukraine, use of possible chemical weapons to prevent a regime collapse etc. Crimson Tide is easily more realistic than we would think and this news shows that a Pakistan defense minister would threaten nukes over fake news. What if they believed a threat to be credible? Paranoia, delusions and emotions are dangerous.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Fake news or not, it's highly irresponsible for a defence minister to threaten nuclear attacks on Twitter.

Only the US and Russia have mutually assured destruction as they are roughly equal in nuclear capabilities. Otherwise against other nuclear states, they are easily able to destroy their enemies in a first and second strike. You could say China is getting up there the more they improve their ballistic missiles.

States with slbm arsenals are highly resistant to first strikes and even a few dozen warheads hitting you would result in completely unacceptable losses for any attacking power. Modest arsenals like the UK are still effective deterents because of this.

JCreasy

I'm deleting my twitter account. Between Nazi trolls and the civilization ending tweets, I'm done. Why the fuck am I on there.

History will look back on twitter as one of those supposed advancements that actually hurt mankind. It's the heroin of this generation. Cocaine. X-rays in shoe stores.

We thought we were connecting people when all we were doing was enabling propaganda and rotten bad actors. Social media is corrosive as fuck.

Its really got to feel surreal for the long standing news organizations who spent a century plus trying to build credibility, and then a mere 15 years of mainstream Internet and politicians calling you "lamestream media" and suddenly every Tom, Dick, and Newstand on the Web has equal standing in the eyes of the public.

How the fuck was Kojima so right?

In 500 years the historians are going to have to sort through terabytes of bullshit to piece together what society was actually like today.
Errh that is already what a historian has to do. Anyone thinking that fake news, propaganda and meme like content is somehow a new phenomenon is sorely mistaken.

The amount of noise you have to sift through in historic sources is astronomical, regardles of era. The tools to sift through remain the same, so its not like its becoming harder to identify bullshit from genuine worthwhile sources.
If anything, the acceleration of content is helping in determining fakes.

The real problem is confirmation bias.

The Internet. Simultaneously our greatest and worst invention

Damn, the Amish were right all along... I mean, a country threatening another nuclear power (although they'd never officially admit they are) with a nuclear strike, that's old school. But using twitter for it after reading fake news, that's quite something, given that millions of peoples' lifes are at stake here.

This guy literally has no actual say in the country's defense matters and is usually busy defending the prime minister's corruption.

Don't take him seriously.

Ishan

The real reason no one has used nukes since WW2 is that it would probably be the worst crime against humanity committed and that the Soviets wanted to nuke China but the US prevented them, the US wanted to possibly nuke India to save Pakistan from losing in 71 and losing East Pakistan aka Bangladesh and the Soviets stopped them. Beyond those two other nations, who else would use nukes? The british? The french? Who else has gotten into a major or all out war that nukes would be needed?

Humans are emotional, you'd be stupid to think in a major war they won't do stupid things. Look at shooting downs of civilian airliners for shits and giggles in Ukraine, use of possible chemical weapons to prevent a regime collapse etc. Crimson Tide is easily more realistic than we would think and this news shows that a Pakistan defense minister would threaten nukes over fake news. What if they believed a threat to be credible? Paranoia, delusions and emotions are dangerous.

One where do you get your news from us wouldn't have nuked India there was a possibility of military action . Secondly . Yes the us and Russia can carpet nuke most other nuclear powers can't . But you attack say India as us we launch off our recent nuclear powered submarines with slbms and at the least take out 5-6 major cities . We also nuke most of Western European countries within our ICBM range . Have fun America rebuilding from that and the nuclear winter which follows . Worst comes to worst we nuke all nearby countries impose nuclear winter on the planet ... Have you even thought these things thru ? Same applies to Britain France etc . Mutually assured destruction isn't I blow up all your cities it's I'll blow up enough and make the world unlivable enough for you even if I die .

Edit it's not you kill me I kill you often it's you kill me I'll blow your legs and an arm off you'll live I'll die but do you want that sort of life

Magwik

Banned
That doesn't change it being their first exposure to it and only reference point.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
You aren't the only one to grow up on the killing fields. War is a cruel parent, but an effective teacher. Its final lesson is carved deep in my psyche: that this world, and all of its people, are diseased. Free will is a myth. Religion is a joke. We are all pawns of something even greater: memes, the DNA of the soul. They shape our will. They are the culture. They are everything we pass on. Expose someone to anger long enough, they will learn to hate. They become a carrier. Envy, greed, despair: all memes, all passed on. You can't fight nature, Jack. Wind blows, rain falls, and the strong prey upon the weak. Sam tells me you see your weapon as a "tool": something that saves lives, a means of justice. Now, there's a pretty meme! Exquisite! It spared you the burden of all the lives you've taken, absolved you of guilt when you enjoyed it.

Madness

States with slbm arsenals are highly resistant to first strikes and even a few dozen warheads hitting you would result in completely unacceptable losses for any attacking power. Modest arsenals like the UK are still effective deterents because of this.

In an all out war where nuclear weapons use is authorized, anything short of your own utter destruction is acceptable. When the base country is anhilated within minutes, nuclear submarines MAY launch their second strikes based on what their war doctrine is, but what would they really achieve unless they launched enough to destroy the other country. The letters of last resort of the UK depend on what the prime minister says. If the UK is destroyed they will either launch, do nothing, go under allied command etc. Other countries have similar doctrines.

Again, I am talking about what mutually assured destruction was. And that was that the Soviet Union and US both had enough first or second strike capabilities to anhilate each other, beyond just acceptable losses. For example, while Russia is centralized around a few cities unlike the US where you have 50+ major metro cities over 1 million population, the danger comes from the numerous hidden mobile ICBM launchers hidden throughout forests and fields all over Siberia, the dozens of nuclear SLBM's and even regular ICBM's. China is getting closer and closer to having enough of a similar deterrent with their rapid increase in ICBM missile technology, increasing number of nuclear subs.

So my point stands. Aside from Russia and the US, no other country has mutually assured destruction from them. Similarly due to the sizes and capabilities of their arsenal and close proximity, Pakistan and India are perhaps the other states that have MAD with each other in that both have enough capability to anhilate each other.

Nydius

Starting to miss the days when this was the only readily available "fake news" and was only found at supermarket checkouts along side those really dumb monthly astrology predictions that were packaged in those little plastic tubes. Back then, fake news was just cringe-worthy. Today it might get us all killed.

myKpIC3RJYO7EwloXhMk3MA.jpg

Uzzy

I'm glad our future national security advisor hasn't fallen for fake news.

US nuclear submarines can not launch without an order (the UKs can)

Technically the UK submarine commanders are to check the letters of last resort from the Prime Minister, to see what orders they should follow.

Oriel

Sabre rattling bullshit. Those Pak nukes are assigned to Indian cities, Israel has nothing to worry about......until the day Iran gets the bomb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom