• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 21, 2015

Number 3 for Splatoon is great and fifth best selling U title too? Pretty impressive all round.

Maybe Nintendo will finally start to market most of their games...

It was a glitch in Amazon, it's fixed now and the deal is no more.

Of course, I should have realised. Amazon would never willingly put out such an amazing deal.

Alo0oy

Banned
Physical/Digital Ratio in the UK according to SuperData

Original Article

DAT bloodborne digital ratio.

As I've always said, the more "hardcore" games always have a higher digital ratio than the more casual ones.

so even though Bloodborne sold better than Dark Souls 2, it probably sold even more than that with the digital ratio being close to 40%.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Do we have past week FIFA and GTAV sales? So we can estimate how much they sold this week.

Chobel

Assuming TW3 did 175K last week, This week (-69%) ~55K.

Splatoon did less than XBO version of TW3 so <27K

If Splatoon really had somewhat comparable marketing campaign to Mario Kart I really don't see how around 20k debut week is that good. Sure it's UK and WiiU but still. Well it's not another Bayonetta 2 either though.

Paganmoon

What's the reason for the differences in DD vs Retail splits (if that chart is accurate?), seems very random some games at 15% others at around 50%. Or are we talking really low total sales numbers that small fluctuations can cause big differences?

And holy hell at Witcher 3 PC retail selling more than X1 in Sweden.

MouldyK

If Splatoon really had somewhat comparable marketing campaign to Mario Kart I really don't see how around 20k debut week is that good. Sure it's UK and WiiU but still. Well it's not another Bayonetta 2 either though.

For a new ip with the userbase the console has over here, I think it's pretty decent.

GRW810

17k is never decent, even indie games need to sell more than that to be called a "decent" debut.
Again, context. Wii U is non-existent in the UK, where Xbox and PlayStation dominate. Yet Splatoon, a Nintendo game that isn't Mario and is a brand new IP, still managed to rank highly.

You can only discuss these things within the reasonable parameters and all things considered, Splatoon did well. And it's going to do much better outside the UK.

NotLiquid

With the marketing campaign in mind, the question for me isn't how Splatoon would debut but how long it's legs will be. That was the impetus of the MK marketing campaign and it seems like they wanted to mirror that here. It was fairly evident that they were in this for the long haul. For the majority of June it'll be fairly empty up until June 23 when Batman releases.

In spite of that, I think this is a pretty good debut for it's circumstance.

Alo0oy

Banned
In one country? If an indie game sold 17k just in the UK itd be considered a massive success

I guess indie is a broad term, I was talking about the bigger indie games like Transistor. Nevertheless, it's my mistake for not being clear.

He's clearly working for Square. :p

They'd cancel the ip right away and make a new FF game.

You're taking this a bit personally, it's just a video game.

Again, context. Wii U is non-existent in the UK, where Xbox and PlayStation dominate. Yet Splatoon, a Nintendo game that isn't Mario and is a brand new IP, still managed to rank highly.

You can only discuss these things within the reasonable parameters and all things considered, Splatoon did well. And it's going to do much better outside the UK.

"Did well" is the key word here, but a 17k debut should never be called that, "at least it wasn't as bad as B2" would be a better way to put it.

I guess indie is a broad term, I was talking about the bigger indie games like Transistor. Nevertheless, it's my mistake for not being clear.

Transistor sold 600k worldwide in its first 7 months, I'd be shocked if it'd had managed to sell 17k in the UK alone in its first 3 days

MouldyK

You're taking this a bit personally, it's just a video game.

Nah, i'm only joking for the most part. :)

But do remember that other established Nintendo ip like Kirby and such has not been as high as Splatoon.

And besides, if they want it to be like Mario Kart, the bigger test is the staying power.

If it drops like a rock like most other Wii U titles, then that's really bad.

Weeks ago I was expecting Splatoon to bomb massively, but then again I wasn't expecting Nintendo to give it the huge marketing push that they did. That's a good result for them.

Kathian

Banned
Splatoon is one of those products that creative companies especially just drop out from time to time, new fresh and with marketing/branding that is perfect.

Good name, good character design and a good fun game. Its the sort of thing kids will want to jump into.

somewhat comparable marketing campaign to Mario Kart

Co'mon; one is a new IP and the other is one of (if not the) Nintendo's most popular products.

DAT bloodborne digital ratio.

As I've always said, the more "hardcore" games always have a higher digital ratio than the more casual ones.

so even though Bloodborne sold better than Dark Souls 2, it probably sold even more than that with the digital ratio being close to 40%.

Bloodborne's success pleases me greatly.

NotLiquid

Co'mon; one is a new IP and the other is one of (if not the) Nintendo's most popular products.

Mario Kart was bound to sell better no matter what really, but with Splatoon they explicitly said they were mirroring the marketing push. Hell several malls in Canada got giant Splatoon statues as marketing. Can't blame them; this is a game reliant on it's playerbase and a brand new IP on the Wii U from Nintendo would be quite of a hard sell.

Alo0oy

Banned
Transistor sold 600k worldwide in its first 7 months, I'd be shocked if it'd had managed to sell 17k in the UK alone in its first 3 days

17k is less than 3% of their total sales, why the hell not?

Nah, i'm only joking for the most part. :)

But do remember that other established Nintendo ip like Kirby and such has not been as high as Splatoon.

And besides, if they want it to be like Mario Kart, the bigger test is the staying power.

If it drops like a rock like most other Wii U titles, then that's really bad.

Yeah, legs are important right now, if it can stay in the charts for the next few weeks, I guess it won't be as bad.

How did B2 do? 10k?

It actually did a bit better than I remembered after checking. Between 10 and 13 k.

For a new ip with the userbase the console has over here, I think it's pretty decent.

With the marketing campaign in mind, the question for me isn't how Splatoon would debut but how long it's legs will be. That was the impetus of the MK marketing campaign and it seems like they wanted to mirror that here. It was fairly evident that they were in this for the long haul. For the majority of June it'll be fairly empty up until June 23 when Batman releases.

In spite of that, I think this is a pretty good debut for it's circumstance.

Well obviously if it has legs the end result will be a lot better. And of course we are only talking about UK here. While in UK Nintendo might lose money with Splatoon when you combine biggish marketing campaign and lowish sales elsewhere the story could be completely different (at least in Japan Splatoon seems to have good debut week)

I don't know why that should matter that much if Splatoon really had big marketing campaign. You don't make money in UK with debut of 20k if you had marketing campaign similar to Mario Kart. Obviously legs could change the situation but because we are talking about WiiU and UK I kinda doubt that.

Oh hey farming simulator on ps4 outsold xb1 this week

Wait this comparison from splatoon to mario kart was only for the marketing right?

gtj1092

I don't think being a new IP hurts that much if you have a huge marketing campaign. Destiny and watch dogs both had huge launches. Seeing as I can't name too many Wii U games bigger than splatoon it did about what should be expected.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
17k is never decent, even indie games need to sell more than that to be called a "decent" debut.
UK is to Wii U what Japan is to XBox One. With that context in mind, it can be called decent. Splatoon is such a good game, I reckon it should sell far more.

Top Bottom