• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 24, 2008

test_account

XP-39C²
Kweh said:
Top Spin 3 is definately out this week on 360.
cjelly said:
Hulk was out last week.
Ok, thanks for the info! :) I totally missed The Hulk for Xbox 360, kinda wierd that it didnt chart in the top 40 induvidual format, no? I thought movie-based games usually sold ok.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
test_account said:
Ok, thanks for the info! :) I totally missed The Hulk for Xbox 360, kinda wierd that it didnt chart in the top 40 induvidual format, no? I thought movie-based games usually sold ok.
It's #38 in the all-formats chart.

I can only find it at #12 in the 360 chart.

test_account

XP-39C²
cjelly said:
It's #38 in the all-formats chart.

I can only find it at #12 in the 360 chart.
Ah ok, thanks for the info, i didnt check the all-formats chart, i only checked the Xbox 360 chart and i saw it there :) But i thought movie-based games sold alittle better than this. On the other hand i cant recall seeing too much of Iron Man on the list either (if that game is out in Europe though, i think it is atleast).

Orlics

FabCam said:
When you see the difference in the install base, it is stupid.

No, it's not. So many people have already explained why having a bigger install base does not mean that the sales of a similar game will scale proportionally.

To summarize the argument, consider how much more PS2s there are than PS3s. Then consider the sales of Madden PS2 vs. Madden PS3.

RBH

Captain Smoker said:
Italy software

Rank / Title / System / units this week / LTD

06/02 - 06/08/2008:
01 Ninja Gaiden 2 (360) [7.650] [7.650]
02 Dragon Ball Z Burst Limit (PS3) [6.350] [6.350]
03 GTA IV (PS3) [6.150] [147.550]
04 Cooking Mama 2 (DS) [5.000] [92.950]
05 Race Driver: GRID (PS3) [4.350] [4.350]
06 Wii Play (WII) [3.850] [> 76.700]
07 Brain Training (DS) [3.750] [> 350.900]
08 Training Di Matematica (DS) [3.400] [> 10.200]
09 GTA IV (360) [3.100] [90.000]
10 Dragon Ball Z Burst Limit (360) [3.050] [3.050]
Yay NG2. :)

nli10

Raist said:
I'd say Okami is a bomba. Seriously it's an excellent game. wtf

Has the potential to rise next week, but I'm guessing the £19.99 PS2 version is just as tempting to most.

Hopefully GWOM will help tis to take off like some other games did, but most of those had local multiplayer.

I feel bad for never having played this one, but I seriously don't have the time for many home console games.

MGS4 does as expected, it'll be interesting to see how long it'll stay in the Top 10.

NGII starts its probable steep decline. Civ Rev and Don King are off to rather disappointing starts. But I think Civ Rev is a game that can sustain sales over a longer period of time, esp. with good word of mouth - Don King not so much. Maybe the Don King name just doesn't have that big drawing power for a video game.

Family Ski not showing up is interesting, I think so far it performed very well in both the US and Japan. Are Ski games popular at all in the UK?

Raist said:
I'd say Okami is a bomba. Seriously it's an excellent game. wtf
It's a port of a game that bombed hard on the console with the highest install base by far last gen. It also had zero marketing and for being a port has a very unattractive price point too - 45 €!!! WTF? (good thing Amazon honoured my 33 € pre-order :D ). What exactly did you expect?

According to Capcom it met their expectations in the US and I'm sure it does so in Europe.

Oh and we all know that good quality doesn't neccessarily equal good sales or vice versa to begin with.

Burli

Pringo
All I see from this is that a lot of idiots didn't buy MGS3, which makes no sense, especially considering the size of the PS2 install base when it was released, compared to the PS3.

Raist

Banned
Phife Dawg said:
It's a port of a game that bombed hard on the console with the highest install base by far last gen. It also had zero marketing and for being a port has a very unattractive price point too - 45 €!!! WTF? (good thing Amazon honoured my 33 € pre-order :D ). What exactly did you expect?

According to Capcom it met their expectations in the US and I'm sure it does so in Europe.

Oh and we all know that good quality doesn't neccessarily equal good sales or vice versa to begin with.

It came super late on the PS2 when it already had a shitload of games. What action/adventure games the Wii has so far ? Zelda ? And ?
Not to mention that in europe it came roughly at the same time than GoWII and FFXII. Kinda sent to die.
And I'm not sure why you guys see the price as an issue. Sure, you know it's a port. But how many people do ? And yeah, you say that it originally bombed. They have to recoup that money :p And 45€ is still a decent price IMO.

Raist said:
It came super late on the PS2 when it already had a shitload of games. What action/adventure games the Wii has so far ? Zelda ? And ?
Not to mention that in europe it came roughly at the same time than GoWII and FFXII. Kinda sent to die.
And I'm not sure why you guys see the price as an issue. Sure, you know it's a port. But how many people do ? And yeah, you say that it originally bombed. They have to recoup that money :p And 45€ is still a decent price IMO.
Applying that logic FPS games shouldn't do decent numbers all the time. Ōkami is pretty much the only way for PS fans to play Zelda, regardless of when it was released. It should've done better by your criteria, which is not really feasible imo. What games are on PS2 that are comparable to Ōkami/Zelda that put up decent numbers?

Ōkami Wii is released roughly around the same time as WiiFit, MK Wii, Lego Indy, SSBB etc. Kinda sent to die as well I guess? Wii owners have enough games to buy as is (I for one am developing quite a Wii backlog, something that hasn't happened with the GC). Whether or not you think these are of the same quality as Ōkami is not a question of sales, since it had the same quality on the PS2 (and the advantage of not having to compete with Zelda).

Price is most certainly an issue, if you don't advertise the game the mass market won't ever notice - you are basically selling to a rather niche market (as disappointing sales of Ōkami on PS2 have shown). Since PS2 was/is such a popular console you are competing with the price for the PS2 game. If Amazon wouldn't have honoured my pre-order I wouldn't have gotten it. 45 € may be a decent price if you compare it with PS360, but I wouldn't pay 65-70 € for a video game without an accessory anyways these days (PC gaming ftw). MK Wii is 50 € btw and has a wheel accessory, which goes for 10 € seperately.

All discussion aside, in the end it met Capcom's expectations in the US without entering the top positions, I can't see why they would see a bigger sales potential in the UK. And if a game performs like expected by the publisher it can hardly be called a bomb, since these expectations were the ones that had the project greenlit.

dabra

2zidg7c.png

Spain
week 23, 2008

01 (01) [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo)
02 (02) [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)
03 (__) [PS3] Dragon Ball Z Burst Limit (Atari)
04 (03) [PS3] Grand Theft Auto IV (Take 2 Interactive)
05 (__) [360] Ninja Gaiden II (Microsoft)
06 (08) [WII] Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo)
07 (07) [PS2] Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (Konami)
08 (__) [360] Dragon Ball Z Burst Limit (Atari)
09 (__) [WII] Big Brain Academy (Nintendo)
10 (__) [PS3] Race Driver: Grid (Codemasters)

Vagabundo said:
It is all about marketing really.

TV ads pay off in spades for Wii games, I haven't seen any ads yet for Okami.

I agree, the average Wii owner isn't going to buy a Wii magazine or read IGN or what ever, they'll respond much more to a TV ad campaign

Vagabundo said:
It is all about marketing really.

TV ads pay off in spades for Wii games, I haven't seen any ads yet for Okami.
And you won't see any, Sven from Capcom has said that they did not plan to do any TV campaign for the game (they probably decided that the potential benefit wouldn't have justified the financial effort).

tiong_fi

2ry58hv.png

Finland :
Week 23+24, 2008 - All Formats

01 (__) Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (Konami)
02 (02) Grand Theft Auto IV (Take 2)
03 (__) LEGO Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures (Activision)
04 (__) Mass Effect (Electronic Arts)
05 (03) Wii Fit (Nintendo)
06 (01) Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures (Eidos)
07 (06) Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock (Activision)
08 (__) FIFA 08 (Electronic Arts)
09 (05) Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)
10 (04) NHL 08 (Electronic Arts)

dabra

Chart-Track: MGS4 had "minimal" impact on UK PS3 sales

Speaking to GamesIndustry.biz, Chart-Track director Dorian Bloch played down the game's impact on hardware, revealing: "There's not a lot to say about it – it had minimal impact really. Units were up by seven percent."

But it was a different story for Nintendo, which launched three new flavours of DS - red, turqoise and green - across Europe last Friday (June 13).

"The new colours had a massive impact – sales were up hugely," said Bloch, who also broke down the performance of each model, adding: "Black is still the king, followed by red, pink, white, turqoise, green and silver." Black accounted for "more than a third" of DS sales. Chart-Track does not publish specific hardware sales figures.

ziran

hmm...

I don't think I'm too surprised by PS3 sales, but I did expect more than a 7% increase for MGS4.

DS on the other hand, has obviously been huge, but Nintendo's advertising has been excellent once again. Both the Father's Day ads and the family holiday one for the DS colours were very well done.

Phife Dawg said:
Applying that logic FPS games shouldn't do decent numbers all the time. Ōkami is pretty much the only way for PS fans to play Zelda, regardless of when it was released. It should've done better by your criteria, which is not really feasible imo. What games are on PS2 that are comparable to Ōkami/Zelda that put up decent numbers?

Ōkami Wii is released roughly around the same time as WiiFit, MK Wii, Lego Indy, SSBB etc. Kinda sent to die as well I guess? Wii owners have enough games to buy as is (I for one am developing quite a Wii backlog, something that hasn't happened with the GC). Whether or not you think these are of the same quality as Ōkami is not a question of sales, since it had the same quality on the PS2 (and the advantage of not having to compete with Zelda).

Price is most certainly an issue, if you don't advertise the game the mass market won't ever notice - you are basically selling to a rather niche market (as disappointing sales of Ōkami on PS2 have shown). Since PS2 was/is such a popular console you are competing with the price for the PS2 game. If Amazon wouldn't have honoured my pre-order I wouldn't have gotten it. 45 € may be a decent price if you compare it with PS360, but I wouldn't pay 65-70 € for a video game without an accessory anyways these days (PC gaming ftw). MK Wii is 50 € btw and has a wheel accessory, which goes for 10 € seperately.

All discussion aside, in the end it met Capcom's expectations in the US without entering the top positions, I can't see why they would see a bigger sales potential in the UK. And if a game performs like expected by the publisher it can hardly be called a bomb, since these expectations were the ones that had the project greenlit.
I agree with a lot of what you're saying.

Also, saying a game is great, therefore it should/deserves to, sell well, is too subjective to be of any use in a sales thread in terms of analysis. Perceived quality from the hardcore rarely has anything to do with sales. I mean, I think Okami is a bad game, so saying it shouldn't sell, while correct in answer, has a completely flawed method.

I'm sure there are many reasons why Okami Wii didn't sell, but the one I think fits best is, a port of a failure is destined for failure.

Dascu

Shiggy said:
Does it have the "IGN 9.0" put over the IGN logo? That's the case in Germany, I think.
Yes, it does. The special packaging is a cardboard sleeve for the game. It still has the standard European boxart.

Do UK have any special MGS bundles like in Japan and the US?

I wonder if the hardware push in the US will be more like Japan (big) or UK (small)....?

liuelson

AnimeTheme said:
Do UK have any special MGS bundles like in Japan and the US?

I wonder if the hardware push in the US will be more like Japan (big) or UK (small)....?

Do we have hardware data for Japan yet? (Bump for PS3 hardware during MGS4 launch?)

ziran

Well, there is quite a difference between PS3 in Japan and UK/Europe. In Japan PS3 usually sells very poorly, but in Europe it's been fairing much better from the limited info we get, and has been selling at a decent level for the kind of system it is.

So, a big increase in Japanese sales makes far more sense than a big increase in the UK. Also, from what I saw in stores over the weekend, MGS4's launch was fairly low key, especially in terms of being a brand new exclusive on PS3. I think retail realised it wasn't going to do much as a system seller so they didn't bother, which of course is a bit circular, though I think they were right. I just don't think the Metal Gear series has the excitement level or interest it once had, and a lot of the people who would want it would be those who've already bought PS3 in anticipation.

Raist

Banned
fe01ti.png

Denmark :
TOP 20 ENTERTAINMENT SOFTWARE (ALL PRICES) - Week 24, 2008

01 (02) Lego Indiana Jones: Original Adventures (Activision)
02 (__) Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns Of The Patriots (Pan Vision)
03 (01) Grand Theft Auto IV (K.e. Media)
04 (03) Fifa 08 (Electronic Arts)
05 (__) Age Of Conan: Hyborian Adventures (Ubisoft)
06 (04) Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock (Activision)
07 (05) UEFA Euro 2008 Austria-switzerland (Electronic Arts)
08 (06) Singstar Summer Party (Nordisk Film)
09 (08) Need For Speed: Prostreet (Electronic Arts)
10 (10) Counter-strike: Source (Electronic Arts)
11 (07) Race Driver: Grid (Electronic Arts)
12 (11) The Sims 2: Kitchen & Bath Design Stuff (Electronic Arts)
13 (17) Warcraft III: Reign Of Chaos (Vivendi Games)
14 (__) Warcraft III: Frozen Throne (Vivendi Games)
15 (13) Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision)
16 (__) Need For Speed: Carbon (Electronic Arts)
17 (19) World Of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade (Vivendi Games)
18 (15) Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (K.e. Media)
19 (09) Mass Effect (Electronic Arts)
20 (14) Counter-strike 1: Anthology (Electronic Arts)

2ziy2o3.png

Italy :
Week 23, 2008

01 (__) [360] Ninja Gaiden II (Tecmo)
02 (__) [PS3] Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit (Atari)
03 (02) [PS3] GTA IV (Take 2)
04 (04) [NDS] Cooking Mama 2 (505 Games)
05 (__) [PS3] Race Driver: Grid (Codemasters)
06 (08) [NDS] Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training (Nintendo)
07 (05) [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo)
08 (06) [NDS] Pr. Kageyama's Maths Training (Nintendo)
09 (07) [360] GTA IV (Take 2)
10 (__) [360] Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit (Atari)
11 (12) [NDS] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Sega)
12 (10) [PS2] UEFA Euro 2008 (Electronic Arts)
13 (09) [NDS] More Brain Training from Dr. Kawashima (Nintendo)
14 (01) [360] Race Driver: Grid (Codemasters)
15 (__) [NDS] Imagine Babies (Ubisoft)

test_account

XP-39C²
Raist said:
fe01ti.png

Denmark :
TOP 20 ENTERTAINMENT SOFTWARE (ALL PRICES) - Week 24, 2008

01 (02) Lego Indiana Jones: Original Adventures (Activision)
02 (__) Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns Of The Patriots (Pan Vision)
Possible #1 on all PAL charts for MGS4 launch date didnt happend :\ Its not on #1 in Spain either, but i read earlier that there were some transport strike that was the reason for that MGS4 was being released alittle later in Spain that first planned.

nli10

From the closed MGS sales 'Geography Warz' thread:

My take is that in the UK there is a big crossover between GTA fans and MGS fans and the gradual increace in sales week on week prior to these launches is due to the added value these games bring.

Amazed the Black DS is still king though even with new shades! Great to see the best games console currently on the market is still selling so well. :D

Neo C. said:
Needs more Etrian Odyssey in the charts.

Who am I kidding? :(

Damn - I'd completely forgotten that this was out too. Think it missed the whole DS top 40?!

THat's a shame, but I am part of the problem not buying it. I guess importing kills niche titles unless they get them out fast enough.

I'm gonna go for the sequel I think.

Goldrusher

test_account said:
Possible #1 on all PAL charts for MGS4 launch date didnt happend :\

No. Denmark charts = multi-platform titles only listed once.

Or did you expect MGS4 to outsell a family game based on epic, ultrapopular movies starring (one of) the most popular toy(s) in the world, released on a dozen platforms, did you ?

edit: Looks like that's the case in Finland.

test_account

XP-39C²
Goldrusher said:
No. Denmark charts = multi-platform titles only listed once.

Or did you expect MGS4 to outsell a family game based on epic, ultrapopular movies starring (one of) the most popular toy(s) in the world, released on a dozen platforms, did you ?

edit: Looks like that's the case in Finland.
To be honest i'm not sure what i expected, but i think it would be cool if Metal Gear Solid 4 was at the #1 spot in every PAL chart for MGS4 first weeks of sale :) Ye, thats true, Lego Indiana Jones is released on 7 SKUs (PC, PS2, PS3, Wii, Xbox 360, DS and PSP (i dont know if the game is released on all of these SKUs in Danemark yet though)) while MGS4 is on 1 SKU (PS3), so Lego Indiana Jones might have a bigger chance to sell more when Danemark's chart show multi-platform titles and not individual systems like i.e UK's chart does. I think this is Lego Indiana Jones' 2nd weeks of sales in Danemark though, but still, that game is on 7 SKUs i think + i think maybe some more days of sales are counted due to it was being released last week or so, so maybe its not big suprise that it outsold MGS4 this week (well, last week). We'll see how MGS4 charts in the danish charts next week, maybe it is at #1 then :)

Kinan

Legs comparison time! Gran Turismo 5 Prologue vs Forza2:

If you use the individual platform (units) chart for Gt5P it looks like this:
sw3dc4.jpg

Sadly, for most of Forza data the same chart was not yet provided by chart track, so I used "all prices" chart for it.

To be completely fair, thats how the comparison looks like when you use "all prices" chart for both games.

331d4xu.jpg

I think one can say that GT5P drops somewhat slower, but one should not forget that Prologue is selling at substantially lower price in comparison to Forza.

ziran

Luckyman said:
Uh, these first week sales from UK and Japan do not really show this.
I don't mean sales to dedicated fans, I'm talking about hype level amongst a broader audience, in the UK.

It has a fan base, and is selling well, but given its cost and importance as one of PS3's biggest exclusives, it isn't doing anything to appeal outside this group, even at a more hardcore level, judging by the hw increase. Also, its placing at retail is much lower key than I expected.

Really, I thought Sony and Konami would be pushing the game more.

spwolf

Kinan said:
I think one can say that GT5P drops somewhat slower, but one should not forget that Prologue is selling at substantially lower price in comparison to Forza.

we dont have PSN sales info for GT5P either...

test_account said:
Its not on #1 in Spain either, but i read earlier that there were some transport strike that was the reason for that MGS4 was being released alittle later in Spain that first planned.
The current Spanish chart is about week 23 and not 24 and if you include the tranport strike that delayed the game by some days there, I'd expect to see it in the charts in week 25, that is 2 weeks from now since Spanish charts have a one-week delay. Am I correct?

reminder

2up4lc5.png

Germany:
Week 24, 2008

01 (__) [PS3] Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (Konami)
02 (01) [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)
03 (02) [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo)
04 (04) [PS2] LEGO Indiana Jones (Activision)
05 (03) [PS3] Grand Theft Auto IV (Take 2)
06 (09) [NDS] Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training (Nintendo)
07 (08) [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
08 (__) [WII] Sports Island (Konami)
09 (06) [360] Grand Theft Auto IV (Take 2)
10 (05) [NDS] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Sega)

test_account

XP-39C²
Steiner_Zi said:
The current Spanish chart is about week 23 and not 24 and if you include the tranport strike that delayed the game by some days there, I'd expect to see it in the charts in week 25, that is 2 weeks from now since Spanish charts have a one-week delay. Am I correct?
Ah ok, my bad, i thought the spanish charts were from week 24, sorry. Thanks for the info :) Ye, then we might see MGS4 in week 25 instead of week 24 if the transport strike were active in week 24.

snoopers said:
But that wouldn't be a UK sales comparison anymore, right ?
I think he ment that GT5P also is being sold through PSN in the UK as well. I guess some people buy GT5P through PSN in the UK too, but those numbers arent counted by Chart Track as far as i know.

nli10

Kinan said:

Completely different RRPs and launch dates
One available digitally (as pointed out by SPWolf)
Forza given away free in a bundle with the X360 at various points (argos esp.) but counted towards chart
Forza now available for £10 new in multiple chains
One a full game and the other an Intro Game (or Demo for peoplelike me that don't think that demo is a derogatory term)

Top Bottom