• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 24, 2011

Alrus

Anasui Kishibe said:
man, this Zumba shit needs to end. You can literally enter every fucking house here and find some lardass playing it or some ancient granny being forced to pretend she's having fun when she's basically having a heart attack. It's terrible

I have no idea how Zumba plays, but if it's like Just Dance I understand the appeal. They're pretty fun games.

SlipperySlope said:
Oh, and people concerned that the public doesn't realize this is a new machine, they'll learn when most new big releases will only work on the 3DS, not the DS. They'll figure it out.
Gonna be a lot of sad kids getting Mario Kart 3DS and it not fitting in their DS Lites ;_;

Anasui Kishibe said:
man, this Zumba shit needs to end. You can literally enter every fucking house here and find some lardass playing it or some ancient granny being forced to pretend she's having fun when she's basically having a heart attack. It's terrible

If only they came with authentic Zumba dancers, I wouldn't have a problem with it selling so well.

zumba%20fun.jpg

Hmmm

oh I don't know if they're good or not, they're probably fun games and all...but the obsession, at least in England, has reached the boiling point

and I don't want it to beat OOT :(

Dabanton

I think people do know that the 3DS is a new machine they are just not that interested. The DS is still a good machine and the people Nintendo targeted last time the mums,grandparents and older gamers they seem to be going the opposite way this time.

I remember always being surprised at how many older people had DS's on my train ride to and from work. Brain training,professor layton etc now on the train i see the same people with iPads, iPhones and other tablets and smartphones playing games, buying apps.

How does Nintendo challenge that?

Oh yeah by releasing old games.

Dabanton said:
I think people do know that the 3DS is a new machine they are just not that interested. The DS is still a good machine and the people Nintendo targeted last time the mums,grandparents and older gamers they seem to be going the opposite way this time.

I remember always being surprised at how many older people had DS's on my train ride to and from work. Brain training,professor layton etc now on the train i see the same people with iPads, iPhones and other tablets and smartphones playing games, buying apps.

Oh yeah by releasing the third best game ever created.

It's a red ocean now. Can't complete with dollar games in that demographic. So Nintendo is changing so they can still make money.

Let the dollar games eat each other and the companies to drive each other out of the industry. Dollar games are unsustainable. That industry will crash. Nintendo can come back in to rebuild the "mass market" after it resets. Like they did before with the console industry.

Oh, and fixed.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
confuziz said:
Or Chart-track ;). If it's actually true, those figures are absolutely terrifying for Nintendo.

I actually did find a mistake in my calculations. The 52k sales in March was for Zumba (wii) and not Zumba (All formats). This actually makes the calcultaion more accuate since it uses an actual sales figure and not a potential maximum. The Guardian chart allows you to work out the total sales of Zumba for week 13. After that it is just a case of following the percentage changes. The revised calcs gave a results of 92.3k slaes of Zumba (Wii) in April. Gfk reported 92k so I think this is acurate.

For this week:
Zumba = 37.9k
Zumba (Wii) = 33.7k
Zelda: OoT < 33.7k
3DS LTD < 168.7k

Not a huge difference.

Also:
Zumba (360) = 3.4k
Zumba (PS3) = 400

BKK

Saiyar said:
I actually did find a mistake in my calculations. The 52k sales in March was for Zumba (wii) and not Zumba (All formats). This actually makes the calcultaion more accuate since it uses an actual sales figure and not a potential maximum. The Guardian chart allows you to work out the total sales of Zumba for week 13. After that it is just a case of following the percentage changes. The revised calcs gave a results of 92.3k slaes of Zumba (Wii) in April. Gfk reported 92k so I think this is acurate.

For this week:
Zumba = 37.9k
Zumba (Wii) = 33.7k
Zelda: OoT < 33.7k
3DS LTD < 168.7k

Not a huge difference.

Also:
Zumba (360) = 3.4
Zumba (PS3) = 400

Bear in mind that the monthly chart numbers aren't extrapolated. Chart-Track claim to cover around 90%, so if you /.9 it will give a slightly higher upper limit for 3DS.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Dabanton said:

Oh yeah by releasing old games.

Yeah, the whole situation really doesn't make sense, does it?

SlipperySlope, even if you're going by the assumption that the market Nintendo went after with the Wii and DS is now a red ocean, 1) they have/had the first-mover advantage and have the uncontested leadership in that area, so they shouldn't drop it or even loosen their focus, 2) this doesn't make the market for traditional gamers any less of a red ocean.

But really, leaving all that ocean stuff, let's not miss the forest before the tree. As praised and successful as OoT was, this is just a remake. Super Mario 64, a game that was way more successful than OoT was never able to do anything for the DS even though it too got an enhanced port. Nintendo will never ever get traditional gamers by making ports of N64/GC games. It's like they're just asking for a good beating, really. Completely baffles me.

Kilrogg said:

SlipperySlope, even if you're going by the assumption that the market Nintendo went after with the Wii and DS is now a red ocean, 1) they have/had the first-mover advantage and have the uncontested leadership in that area, so they shouldn't drop it or even loosen their focus, 2) this doesn't make the market for traditional gamers any less of a red ocean.

But really, leaving all that ocean stuff, let's not miss the forest before the tree. As praised and successful as OoT was, this is just a remake. Super Mario 64, a game that was way more successful than OoT was never able to do anything for the DS even though it too got an enhanced port. Nintendo will never ever get traditional gamers by making ports of N64/GC games. It's like they're just asking for a good beating, really. Completely baffles me.

Nintendo's not leaving the "mass market" market. They're trying to rebalance their portfolio. They themselves have had a few mild-sellers in that category. Like Wii Music and Wii Party. But to repeat, they're not leaving that market. Heck, the demos they showed were mostly minigames, even if they weren't retail products.

Speaking of parties guess whats returned to the Wii top 40...Mario Party 8 (well it was number 40 last week). Guess the news of Mario Party 9 at E3 got people excited?

Otherwise the OOT 3D. I'm impressed a 3DS title actually got to the top end of the top 40 but the fact Zumba Fitness beat it I'm not sure what it says more about, the install base of the Wii or the install base of the 3DS.

Starwolf_UK said:
Speaking of parties guess whats returned to the Wii top 40...Mario Party 8 (well it was number 40 last week). Guess the news of Mario Party 9 at E3 got people excited?

:lol I didn't know they did whole top 40 for those.

Interesting to see Wii Sports on the Wii budget chart now, number 14 this week, doesn't seem like the must-have game it once was!

onipex

Graphics Horse said:

Interesting to see Wii Sports on the Wii budget chart now, number 14 this week, doesn't seem like the must-have game it once was!

The only people buying it would be those buying the new bundle.

Kilrogg said:

Nintendo is asking for a beating, because Nintendo is holding back for third parties. It really doesn't make sense at all since Nintendo knows first party titles sell hardware.

BKK

Which would put Dungeon Siege III (360) in 12th place at around 7k, and uncharted Dungeon Siege III (PC) at around 2.8k. Bottom of Top 40 should be around 3k.

Edit:

01. = ~33.7k
12. = ~7k
25. = ~3.4k
40. = ~3k

Ah so have chart-track/The guardian sorted out the "glitch" where systems exclusives would only sell 99% on that system...shame the whole shares not adding to 100% still persists. I assume due to missing decimal place or systems?

Graphics Horse said:

Systems start with a top 10* and if they get more popular that becomes 20, then 40. Not to mention budget charts too even though inclusion into them can be arbitrary at times.

*-Well, actually it can go down as low as a top 5 as the last PS2 chart shows.

As for Wii sports...I'll get to that in a sec.
onipex said:
The only people buying it would be those buying the new bundle.
The gap between Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort in the charts is way too big for that though. Since thew new Bundle has both on one disc I'm assuming only Wii Sports resort is counted for hardware purposes.

Or its the other way round and standalone Wii Sports Resort is the one with massive sales compared with the hardware.

Alrus

Starwolf_UK said:
The gap between Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort in the charts is way too big for that though. Since thew new Bundle has both on one disc I'm assuming only Wii Sports resort is counted for hardware purposes.

Or its the other way round and standalone Wii Sports Resort is the one with massive sales compared with the hardware.

The new bundle he's talking about is the Mario Kart one, no Wii Sports/WSR included.

swerve

Speedymanic said:
Just what the hell is going on with the 3DS.

Which UK early adopter is going to get excited about buying a European 3DS if they can't import the cool stuff from Japan/America? And that would require there to *be* cool stuff, which there isn't because 3DS has more in common with a home console than a gameboy, and as such it suffers long development times and a tendency towards competing on graphics.

3DS excludes plenty of people in its software line-up. DS excluded no one.

BKK

Starwolf_UK said:
Systems start with a top 10* and if they get more popular that becomes 20, then 40. Not to mention budget charts too even though inclusion into them can be arbitrary at times.

*-Well, actually it can go down as low as a top 5 as the last PS2 chart shows.

For some reason PS3 has only ever had a Top 30. Even with it selling more software than Wii last year it didn't get increased to a Top 40, so I'm not too sure what their criteria are for increasing or decreasing the number of titles in those charts.

Maybe the bottom titles in a chart must be consistently above a certain threshold, say 1,000 or 500 units for example.

dabra

2up4lc5.png

Germany:
Week 24, 2011

01 (__) [3DS] The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time 3d (Nintendo)
02 (01) [PS3] Duke Nukem Forever (Take 2)
03 (04) [PS3] L.A. Noire (Rockstar Games)
04 (03) [PS3]Infamous 2 (Sony)
05 (__) [PS3] Alice: Madness Returns (Electronic Arts)
06 (__) [PS3] Dungeon Siege 3 (Square Enix Europe)
07 (06) [NDS] Pokemon Black (Nintendo)
08 (05) [NDS] Pokemon White (Nintendo)
09 (02) [360] Duke Nukem Forever (Take 2)
10 (07) [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)

swerve said:
Evidently not.
Region locking has had no influence on 3DS sales in any way. Bar a couple of fangry forum posters. The issue is cost, software and the thing not coming across properly as a new system.

Dragon

Banned
butter_stick said:
Region locking has had no influence on 3DS sales in any way. Bar a couple of fangry forum posters. The issue is cost, software and the thing not coming across properly as a new system.
So what you're saying is that it at least has an insignificant effect.

test_account

XP-39C²
About not being region free, has anyone not bought a 3DS because of this? If so, may i ask why? By not buying it, then you cant play any games :)

test_account said:
About not being region free, has anyone not bought a 3DS because of this? If so, may i ask why? By not buying it, then you cant play any games :)

I am not buying it because of that. I travel a lot and I tend to buy games on impulse before long flights. I am not missing it... have my iPad and my DSi. Also my gf is Japanese... and if she can't play Japanese games... no buy.

test_account

XP-39C²
NemesisPrime said:
I am not buying it because of that. I travel a lot and I tend to buy games on impulse before long flights. I am not missing it... have my iPad and my DSi. Also my gf is Japanese... and if she can't play Japanese games... no buy.
Fair enough :) Doesnt sound like you have that much interest in the 3DS to begin with (due to the comments about iPand and DSi), so then its understandable.

BKK

Sonic the Hedgehog released 20 years ago today.

1zgyw5i.png

UK:

Originally Posted by Games-X:

04/Jul/1991

Shock of shocks! F15 Strike Eagle 2 has smashed into the number one spot and surprised everyone. Flight sims certainly do set the public alight don't they?

Gremlin's excellent Heroquest has jumped back up from number 16 to number two, just when I thought it had run out of steam. I suppose the Speccy version helped the rise.

Sega's Sonic the Hedgehog has stormed in at number four (Alex has finished it by the way!) quite amazing for a single format game really. Platforms and cute characters are certainly all the rage nowadays!

Back at number 15 after an absence of one week is Lucasfilm's hilarious adventure game, The Secret of Monkey Island. Obviously you saw our preview of the sequel last ish and went and bought it. Very wise!

Nothing much happening in the rest of the chart this week, but Winning Tactics certainly hasn't done as well as Final Whistle, Anco has clearly pushed Kick Off too far.

Week 26, 1991 - All Formats Full Price (Units)

01 (N) F15 Strike Eagle 2 (Microprose)
02 (^) Heroquest (Gremlin)
03 (V) Eye of the Beholder (US Gold)
04 (N) Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega)
05 (V) PGA Tour Golf (Electronic Arts)
06 (V) Lemmings (Psygnosis)
07 (^) Dizzy Collection (Code Masters)
08 (^) Mickey Mouse (Sega)
09 (V) Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles (Imageworks)
10 (=) Viz (Virgin)
11 (^) Power Up (Ocean)
12 (^) Big Box (Beau Jolly)
13 (V) Shadow Dancer (US Gold)
14 (V) Super Monaco GP (US Gold)
15 (R) Monkey Island (Lucasfilm)
16 (V) Armour-Geddon (Psygnosis)
17 (V) Supremacy (Virgin)
18 (V) Winning Tactics (Anco)
19 (V) Multi Player Soccer Manager (D&H)
20 (V) Kick Off 2 (Anco)

Charts compiled by Gallup for ELSPA.

10oh45e.png

Norway:
1) Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS)
2) L.A. Noire Nordic Edition (PS3)
3) inFamous 2 (PS3)
4) The Sims 3: The Generation (PC)
5) New Super Mario Bros (DS)
6) Duke Nukem Forever - Dukes Kickass Edition (PS3)
7) Lego Pirates of Caribbean: The Videogame (DS)
8) The Sims 3 (PC)
9) FIFA 11 (PS3)
10) The Sims 3: The Generation (PS3)
11) Dirt 3 Nordic Edition (PS3)
12) WoW 60 Days Game Card (Card)
13) The Sims 3: The Late Night (PC)
14) Duke Nukem Forever - Dukes Kickass Edition (PC)
15) Duke Nukem Forever - Dukes Kickass Edition (X360)
16) COD: Black Ops (PS3)
17) Lego Star Wars 3: The Clone Wars (DS)
18) Red Dead Redemption (PS3)
19) L.A. Noire (X360)
20) Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (PS3)

2ry58hv.png

Finland:
1) WoW Pre-paid Game Card 60 Days (Card)
2) Duke Nukem Forever - Dukes Kickass Edition (PS3)
3) The Sims 3: The Generation (PC)
4) NHL 11 (PS3)
5) inFamous 2 (PS3)
6) Duke Nukem Forever - Dukes Kickass Edition (X360)
7) PlayStation Network Card 20 € (Card)
8) Duke Nukem Forever - Dukes Kickass Edition (PC)
9) NHL 11 (X360)
10) Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS)
11) Skate 3 (PS3)
12) LittleBigPlanet 2 (PS3)
13) Dirt 3 Nordic Edition (PS3)
14) L.A. Noire (PS3)
15) FIFA 11 (X360)
16) Xbox360 Live 3 Month Gold (Card)
17) Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS)
18) Duke Nukem Forever: Balls of Steel Special Edition (PC)
19) FIFA 11 (PS3)
20) COD: Black Ops (PS3)

http://www.gfkhitlist.com/game.aspx

BKK said:
Week 26, 1991 - All Formats Full Price (Units)

01 (N) F15 Strike Eagle 2 (Microprose)
02 (^) Heroquest (Gremlin)
03 (V) Eye of the Beholder (US Gold)
04 (N) Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega)
05 (V) PGA Tour Golf (Electronic Arts)
06 (V) Lemmings (Psygnosis)
07 (^) Dizzy Collection (Code Masters)
08 (^) Mickey Mouse (Sega)
09 (V) Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles (Imageworks)
10 (=) Vis (Virgin)
11 (^) Power Up (Ocean)
12 (^) Big Box (Beau Jolly)
13 (V) Shadow Dancer (US Gold)
14 (V) Super Monaco GP (US Gold)
15 (R) Monkey Island (Lucasfilm)
16 (V) Armour-Geddon (Psygnosis)
17 (V) Supremacy (Virgin)
18 (V) Winning Tactics (Anco)
19 (V) Multi Player Soccer Manager (D&H)
20 (V) Kick Off 2 (Anco)

Charts compiled by Gallup for ELSPA.
That just gave me a nostalgia overload. :')

BKK

Psychotext said:
That just gave me a nostalgia overload. :')

Yeah, I wondered what happened to most of those houses;

Sega
Electronic Arts
Code Masters (Codemasters)
Lucasfilm (LucasArts)

U.S. Gold > Eidos > Square Enix
Psygnosis > Sony
Ocean Software > Infogrames > Atari Inc.

Microprose > Hasbro > Infogrames > Defunct
Gremlin Interactive > Infogrames > Defunct
Imageworks (Mirrorsoft) > Acclaim > Defunct
Virgin Interactive > Titus > Defunct
Beau Jolly > Defunct
Anco > Defunct
D&H Games > Defunct?

BKK

Zelda OoT debuts at the same position as the original. The original climbed to number one the following week for Christmas before dropping back down the charts (supply constrained?).

Week 50, 1998 - All Formats (Units)

01 (01) FIFA '99 (EA)
02 (NE) The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time (Nintendo)
03 (02) Tomb Raider 3 (Eidos)
04 (NE) Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped (Sony)
05 (RE) V Rally (Infogrames)

Week 51, 1998 - All Formats (Units)

01 (02) The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time (Nintendo)
02 (01) FIFA '99
03 (03) Tomb Raider 3 (Eidos)
04 (04) Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped (Sony)
05 (NE) Turok 2: Seeds of Evil (Acclaim)
06 (05) V Rally (Infogrames)
07 (__) TOCA Touring Car Championship (Codemasters)
08 (__) Brian Lara Cricket (Codemasters)
09 (__) Abe's Exoddus (GT Interactive)
10 (__) Crash Bandicoot (Sony)

Loudninja

UK chart
505 Games’ ‘Zumba Fitness’ retains the top spot with an impressive 33% increase in sales

recording its second highest sales week since its release 31 weeks ago, outselling the next three titles combined (ironically its highest selling week was week 13 2011 where it only managed No2 due to being pipped at the post by Crysis 2). Rockstar/Take 2 are still on the case with ‘L.A. Noire’ climbing two places to No2 despite a 15% drop in sales, with Warner Bros.’ new release ‘F.E.A.R. 3’ following closely behind at No3 (funnily enough F.E.A.R. 2 debuted at No2). The titles at both No4 and No5 have also moved up the chart despite a drop in sales with Codemasters’ ‘DIRT 3’ ( -11%) up three places to No4 and Disney’s ‘Lego Pirates of the Caribbean’ (-21%) at No5. Last’s week’s No2, Nintendo’s N64 port ‘The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D’ (-69%), is now down to No6 with EA’s ‘FIFA 11’ (+2%) moving up the table to No7. 2K Games/Take 2’s ‘Duke Nukem Forever’ (-61%) sees the biggest drop, down five places to No8. Bethesda’s ‘Brink’ (-48%) has dropped from No5 to No9 and rounding off the Top 10 is 2K Sports/Take 2’s ‘Top Spin 4’ (+98%) flying up the chart from No28 as we have the first week of Wimbledon. We have a couple of other new releases this week with the PS3/Xbox 360 version of ‘Transformers: Dark of the Moon’ debuting at No17 and EA’s Shadows of the Damned in at No31.

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index....p&ct=110032&arch=t&lyr=2011&year=2011&week=25

Spiegel

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Zelda and Child of Eden held up pretty well. Fear 3 probably number one overall.

If last week's estimations are correct, Zelda sold ~10k this week (69% drop).

So this means that anything below nº2 (Zelda) sold <10k this week.

Top Bottom