• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 25, 2008

Kagari said:
Releasing it at £150 there was a mistake.

Fixed,

Actually I think the choosing of the one format was more to do with limited supply of the instument kits and perhaps a little help from MS.

Besides Rockband will have legs like GH3 and be in or around the charts at Christmas as well

After a close fought encounter with ‘Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots’ last week, ‘Lego Indiana Jones’ retakes No1 in the All Formats Chart from Konami’s PS3 stealth-em-up.

It’s a case of which game falls by the greatest margin as sales of the LucasArts’ film/toy franchise drop 29% compared to MGS4 which falls by 59%. MGS4 shifts down one place to No2, ahead of Atari’s ‘Alone in the Dark’, reborn on Xbox 360, Wii, PC and PS2 after a seven year absence - debuting at No3 with under half the sales of MGS4 this week. ‘GTA IV’ continues to fall by one place, down from No3 to No4, while ‘Wii Play’ gains 2 places, up from No7 to No5. ‘Mario & Sonic’, ‘Brain Training’ and ‘Race Driver GRID’ all drop 2 places to No’s 6, 7 and 8 respectively, while Activision’s ‘Guitar Hero III’ hits all the right notes, back into the All Formats Top 10, up from No13 to No9 - boosted by a retailer promotion of the PS3 version. Having debuted at No2 in the Japanese Charts in September last year ‘Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII’ enters the UK All Formats Chart at No10. Released only on PSP, the Square-Enix published RPG accounts for 54% of all Full Price PSP games sold this week.

There are 2 more new entries that make the All Formats Top 40 – Take 2’s ‘Top Spin 3’, in time for Wimbledon at No12 and Nintendo’s Chef Training (not Brain Training) lifestyle title ‘Cooking Guide: Can’t Decide what to Eat’ at No19.
http://www.charttrack.co.uk/?i=561&s=1111

PistolGrip said:
28 (__) [PS3] Top Spin 3 (Take 2)
32 (__) [360] Top Spin 3 (Take 2)

kind of weird. probably because 360 owners were buying Alone in the dark

07 (__) [PSP] Crisis Core: Final Fantasy Vii (Square Enix Europe)
:( was expecting 2nd or 3rd spot. Alone in the dark beat it double :(

Wimbledon started Today, so I'd expect it to move up a 20 or so places next week in the UK at least..

dyls

I know lots of people hate seeing Wii Play on there, but it's probably the best barometer of Wii hardware sales we could ever get as it pretty much sells to new owners only. It being number two this week means there was a healthy shipment of Wiis to the UK—Mario Kart's boost seconds the idea.

Which begs the question, where are the Wii Fits, Nintendo?

mr_bishiuk said:
Fixed,

Actually I think the choosing of the one format was more to do with limited supply of the instument kits and perhaps a little help from MS.

Besides Rockband will have legs like GH3 and be in or around the charts at Christmas as well

£180.

It's gonna sell to a core audience, but it will not have the legs of GH3.

Talamius

dyls said:
It being number two this week means there was a healthy shipment of Wiis to the UK—Mario Kart's boost seconds the idea.

Which begs the question, where are the Wii Fits, Nintendo?

I think Mario Kart, at worst, is this year's Mario Party 8 worldwide. At best, it's the latest "it" game for Wii. It's definitely a shocker, considering people were afraid of it getting lost in the SSBB/Wii Fit hype.

Jammy

Banned
Talamius said:
I think Mario Kart, at worst, is this year's Mario Party 8 worldwide. At best, it's the latest "it" game for Wii. It's definitely a shocker, considering people were afraid of it getting lost in the SSBB/Wii Fit hype.

Mario Kart has always been a huge hit on every system it's been released on, though. I do think the Wii game will reach near DS and pass 64 numbers, though.

It's the Wii factor (Zelda, Metroid, SSB, Mario, etc. all selling much better than they did last generation).

farnham

Banned
Mario kart is one of the biggest nintendo franchise (I think on the GC it was right behind SSBM and Mario Sunshine)...

Id say No. 1 Mario No. 2 Pokemon No. 3 Kirby No. 4 Zelda No. 5 Mario Kart No. 6 SSB in terms of sales

Jammy

Banned
farnham said:
Mario kart is one of the biggest nintendo franchise (I think on the GC it was right behind SSBM and Mario Sunshine)...

Id say No. 1 Mario No. 2 Pokemon No. 3 Kirby No. 4 Zelda No. 5 Mario Kart No. 6 SSB in terms of sales

I know Kirby's surprisingly big, but I don't think it's Nintendo's third most successful franchise.

dyls

Jammy said:
Mario Kart has always been a huge hit on every system it's been released on, though. I do think the Wii game will reach near DS and pass 64 numbers, though.

It's the Wii factor (Zelda, Metroid, SSB, Mario, etc. all selling much better than they did last generation).

I think the Wheel actually helped quite a bit. I've played the game with a number of casual gamers—actually more like lapsed gamers who got left behind in the transition to 3D gaming many years ago. The wheel seems to help them deal with the complexity of the game (even though much of GAF would call it overly simple). Pretty much everyone I've handed the wheel to has loved it.

Nintendo’s Chef Training (not Brain Training) lifestyle title ‘Cooking Guide: Can’t Decide what to Eat’ at No19.

This is Cooking Navi, right? Any impressions of the translation yet? I may have to import it as I don't believe it's coming to the US.

Raist

Banned
frankthurk said:
MGS4 which falls by 59%.

I think it did.

Like any other big game. GTA even dropped more than that. Some people expected it to drop from the first place, probably.

Raist

Banned
i739dt.png

CowGirl

Raist said:
Like any other big game. GTA even dropped more than that. Some people expected it to drop from the first place, probably.

It did drop from the first place, lego indiana jones moved back to number 1.

People really thought MGS would fall off the number 1 spot only after 1 week? What titles did you expect to over take it? There was next to no releases

pswii60

Elbrain said:
What I meant by the drop off is that it would be out of the top 10 in all areas.
Who the hell thought that? Don't make shit up. Even HAZE didn't drop out of the top 10 until week 3 or something.

test_account

XP-39C²
CowGirl said:
It did drop from the first place, lego indiana jones moved back to number 1.
In the all-format chart it did, thats true, but i guess he ment in the induvidual chart since thats the chart that is being posted here.

UK:
MGS IV:
1. week: 122.000
2. week: 50.020
---------------------
Total: 172.020

Worldwide:
MGS IV:
Jap.: 476.334
UK.: 172.020
---------------------
Total: 648.354

test_account

XP-39C²
mr_bishiuk said:
When Sony's comments were analysed it was realised that they were talking about continental europe, the 360 is 1m units ahead of the PS3 in the UK so if you take out the UK then in the remainder of Europe the PS3 would have caught the 360
Is that refered to the numbers that Sony gave out in their speech on Sony's Gamer day about 1-2 months ago or something?

nli10

Captain Smoker said:
UK:
MGS IV:
1. week: 122.000
2. week: 50.020
---------------------
Total: 172.020

Alone in the Dark at number 2 had "under half" of MGS4 so under 25,010, but Wii Play at number 2 had more than that.

Even presuming that they were both around the 20,000 mark that's a pretty hefty amount of sales for a Wii Play, a game that has already passed the million mark just because there was stock available!

I saw people picking the game up on Sat without the Wii because they couldn't find it at launch.

I also bought 8 budget PSP titles :lol - I think that 54% of the PSP full price catalogue these days doesn't mean much!

We have Cooking Navi UK edition, but it's for a gift so not yet opened it. Even as a £25 game it seemed good value compared to similar books.

FrankT

test_account said:
Is that refered to the numbers that Sony gave out in their speech on Sony's Gamer day about 1-2 months ago or something?

Yes, the numbers they discussed last month. Since then, we also know the 5 weeks after the release of GTA IV ChartTrack stated the 360 saw a bigger increase in overall sales compared to the PS3 going on to say that the PS3 lead for the year was cut from about 20% to 10% during this time frame. ChartTrack also stated the PS3 saw about a 7% increase in HW sales the week of MGS4.

Luckyman

Banned
No, lol. Sony did not exclude UK. http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/ps3-vs-xbox-360-whos-really-winning-europe/?biz=1
Here's what a Sony rep told us, "The statement was based on the fact that cumulative sales of PS3 in Europe since its launch now exceed the cumulative sales of Xbox 360 in Europe since their launch, despite Xbox 360 having had a 16 month lead on PS3. Europe means the whole of Western Europe, Eastern Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Russia. SCEE sources its market data from official sources such as ChartTrack and Gfk, from their retailers and from a variety of additional sources. SCEE has been using the same methodology for the last 10 years or so."

test_account

XP-39C²
Jtyettis said:
Yes, the numbers they discussed last month. Since then, we also know the 5 weeks after the release of GTA IV ChartTrack stated the 360 saw a bigger increase in overall sales compared to the PS3 going on to say that the PS3 lead for the year was cut from about 20% to 10% during this time frame. ChartTrack also stated the PS3 saw about a 7% increase in HW sales the week of MGS4.
Ok, but at Sony's Gamer Day Sony said that they had sold something like 5 million PS3 consoles. If the UK isnt counted in this, then PS3 should be at about 6 million now (or maybe more now since its been maybe a month ago since it was said). Or did they mean that these numbers that Sony showed at Sony's Gamer Day not long ago didnt count Xbox 360 in UK? If so, i doubt Sony would do that, or else the comparison would be totally unfair in my opinion. If they include UK sales for PS3 and then compare it to Xbox 360 i would find it naturally that they would include UK sales for Xbox 360 as well in this comparison.

FrankT

test_account said:
Ok, but at Sony's Gamer Day Sony said that they had sold something like 5 million PS3 consoles. If the UK isnt counted in this, then PS3 should be at about 6 million now (or maybe more now since its been maybe a month ago since it was said). Or did they mean that these numbers that Sony showed at Sony's Gamer Day not long ago didnt count Xbox 360 in UK? If so, i doubt Sony would do that. If they include UK sales for PS3 and then compare it to Xbox 360 i would find it naturally that they would include UK sales for Xbox 360 as well in this comparison.

Microsoft rejected the outright claim of the PS3 overtaking the 360 in the terrotiry as was stated earlier. Whether Microsoft or Sony is or is not counting the UK I have no clue. Sony said ~5 million and Microsoft said we have about a 1 million lead, thus ~6 million. But to your earlier question is this the numbers Sony gave out at their event last month, yes.

test_account

XP-39C²
Jtyettis said:
Microsoft rejected the outright claim of the PS3 overtaking the 360 in the terrotiry as was stated earlier. Whether Microsoft or Sony is or is not counting the UK I have no clue. Sony said ~5 million and Microsoft said we have about a 1 million lead, thus ~6 million. But to your earlier question is this the numbers Sony gave out at their event last month, yes.
Ok, thanks for the answer :) But then we have 2 different statements, 1 from Microsoft and 1 from Sony, both saying that they have outsold eachother. I see that Sony said that they included Western Europe, Eastern Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Russia in their stats. Does Microsoft also count these territories? I think its wierd that Sony goes out and say that they have outsold Xbox 360 if the truth is that Xbox 360 has sold about 1 million consoles more.

EDIT: Maybe Microsoft and Sony arent counting the same territories and thats why they have different numbers, or that Sony is counting numbers of consoles sold to retailers and MS is counting consoles sold to customers, maybe thats why both Microsoft and Sony have different numbers, but i dont know what the reason is for that, sorry :\

Top Bottom