• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 26, 2015

Chobel

29 (NE) XBO MOTOGP 15 (PQUBE)
34 (NE) PS4 MOTOGP 15 (PQUBE)

What What Whaaat? Why the hell did this happen? Racer games usually do in PS4, plus MotoGP 14 (prequel) was on PS4 but not on XBO.

The sales split in favour of PS4 is pretty staggering.

MS must be kicking themselves that they cant get a foothold in software wise
for a lot of the big releases that aren't pure FPS.

Must be a bloodbath in EU and ROTW too.

I think you mean Wii U, not Vita.

Odd that Vita's there. I'm assuming that's Blackgate, but if it is, shouldn't 3DS be there too? Or is that sub-1%?

That said, I would be inclined to list Blackgate separately anyway.

Arkham Origins didn't come out on Vita so it can't be Vita sales.

Blackgate is a different game and should not be listed alongside Origins.

It's not that Bruno is choosing to list the game that way and ignoring the other versions, it's just how Guardian chose to do their listings when they released the breakdown in 2013:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/oct/28/uk-top-20-video-games-chart

Xbox 360 (54)
PS3 (44)
VITA (2)

If you have a problem with their choosing to lump Blackgate in with Origins, then I suggest you take it up with them, but since they don't provide platform breakdowns anymore I doubt they'll care :p

Edit: Nvm, Mpl says they released later, so I guess that's why no %!

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Glad to see Yoshi up there, though it does not necessarily mean it has sold well, considering it's a summer week, right :(? I hope the super-strong week for Splatoon in France will lead to a nice launch week for Yoshi, too.

Mikey Jr.

Heh, and people are getting tired of marketing deals, and want to see them go away.

Yeah, no fucking chance. This shit works.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Origins Wii U and Blackgate 3DS came out later compared to PS3/360/Vita versions. That's why, in its debut week, the game has no Nintendo %.

geordiemp

The sales split in favour of PS4 is pretty staggering.

MS must be kicking themselves that they cant get a foothold in software wise
for a lot of the big releases that aren't pure FPS.

Must be a bloodbath in EU and ROTW too.

Maybe the fact that it WAS at release technically the best version with 1080p and solid Frame rate has allot to do with it when consumers are deciding which version to buy (PC patch may have changed that ?)

Discerning consumers ?

Heh, and people are getting tired of marketing deals, and want to see them go away.

Nah, if you had a PC, Xb1 and Ps4 after reading technical reviews, Ps4 ran the best and would be favoured unless you did not have the choice.

Don't think marketing deals has that much say.....

Steroyd

BATMAN: ARKHAM ASYLUM (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE) - 247,000 (90%) [5 weeks of tracking]

Xbox 360 - 131,000 (53%)
PlayStation 3 - 116,000 (47%)

BATMAN: ARKHAM CITY (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE) - 294,000 (90%) [2 weeks of tracking]

Xbox 360 - 166,000 (56%)
PlayStation 3 - 128,000 (44%)

BATMAN: ARKHAM ORIGINS (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)

Xbox 360 (54%)
PlayStation 3 (44%)
PlayStation Vita (2%)

BATMAN: ARKHAM KNIGHT (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)

PlayStation 4 (67%)
Xbox One (33%)

I don't get it, I know the Xbox 360 was the multiplat console of choice, but PS3 sales weren't too far behind as far as the splits go, but the sales in the new gen represents a 2:1 sales ratio that hardware sales doesn't suggest.

I don't know, it seems to work for Sony but does fuck all for MS, and The Witcher was a series that only appeared on Xbox in the past, to twist that knife a little further.

Maybe MS needs to start making marketing deals with original 3rd party IP's thinking on it, Sony did do that last gen with Batman Arkham Asylum, Assassin's Creed and a few others.

geordiemp

I don't get it, I know the Xbox 360 was the multiplat console of choice, but PS3 sales weren't too far behind as far as the splits go, but the sales in the new gen represents a 2:1 sales ratio that hardware sales doesn't suggest.

I don't know, it seems to work for Sony but does fuck all for MS, and The Witcher was a series that only appeared on Xbox in the past, to twist that knife a little further.

Maybe MS needs to start making marketing deals with original 3rd party IP's thinking on it, Sony did do that last gen with Batman Arkham Asylum, Assassin's Creed and a few others.

Let me answer that for you. Last gen we had 2x Ps4 and then 2x 360 (4 consoles, 2 TV's).

We bought Batman on 360 twice. Why ? Game ran and looked better. Its that simple.

geordiemp

Or just people with no friends.

A guy posting on neogaf using the claim that gamers have no friends.

#neogafshitposts.

Let me tell you a secret....If Xb1 was a stronger console, in UK it would be 2:1 in favour of Xbox.

I was in a COD clan of 30 on 360 - we all moved to PS4....All of us.

Why ? COD ghosts ran at 720p on Xb1 on release, that was not a console we wanted for the next 4 years even if it was a watercooler thing

TomShoe

Banned
Nah, if you had a PC, Xb1 and Ps4 after reading technical reviews, Ps4 ran the best and would be favoured unless you did not have the choice.

Don't think marketing deals has that much say.....

That's implying the average consumer reads a technical review about a game they're going to buy. The farthest most average people go for research is most likely looking @ Metacritic for a score and maybe a few reviews from popular sites like IGN. There's a reason why marketing accounts for about 1/2 the budget in both games and movies, because it has a clear impact on sales.

Percy

Banned
A guy posting on neogaf using the claim that gamers have no friends.

#neogafshitposts.

Let me tell you a secret....If Xb1 was a stronger console, in UK it would be 2:1 in favour of Xbox.

I was in a COD clan of 30 on 360 - we all moved to PS4....All of us.

Why ? COD ghosts ran at 720p on Xb1 on release, that was not a console we wanted for the next 4 years even if it was a watercooler thing

Come on now, dude was obviously joking.

/Insert joke about XB1 users playing Ryse so why would they need Batman

No offense, but I preferred the joke someone made earlier in last week's chart thread about XB1 users waiting for Forza 6 so why would they want to drive the Batmobile? ;)

bombshell

Thanks to EA Access, digital sales on Xbox One are through the roof!

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
The Witcher 3 (minus pc version)
PS4: 66%
XBO: 34%

Project Cars (minus pc version)
PS4: 67%
XBO: 33%

Batman: AK (minus.... lol version)

Those ratio's are actually really simalar. My take is that XBO only owners buy the XBO version and PS4 only owners buy the PS4 version. That will bring the ratio of sales 1:1.3 in favour of the PS4. Then we have to factor in that these types of games did relatively good on PS platforms in the past. The rest of that gap can be atributed to PS4/ XBO owners who are opting for the PS4 version for primary performance (better gfx) reasons.

geordiemp

That's implying the average consumer reads a technical review about a game they're going to buy. The farthest most average people go for research is most likely looking @ Metacritic for a score and maybe a few reviews from popular sites like IGN. There's a reason why marketing accounts for about 1/2 the budget in both games and movies, because it has a clear impact on sales.

No. Even my 12 year old son and all of his online gaming friends mock the Xb1 power and ability to run games 'decently'. Its not a fair mock, they have no idea what they are talking about....BUT IT EXISTS....They don't know why and don't read DF. How is that ?

My opinion is that the first batch of game son XB1 were very poor technically, the worst being Call of Duty Ghosts which is huge to joe public. It ran at 720 vs 1080 ps4.

Social media and opinions stick, and it will take allot for MS to counter that in markets other than the US.

A console gets it IMAGE in its first months of release and it tends to stick, I can only think of Ps3 that managed to partly reverse its fortunes (by hefty losses)

stryke

WB must be smiling ear to ear. Are rocksteady no longer contracted to do anymore Batman games?

Apparently every game they've released this year has topped the charts. And yeah, it's the last Batman game from them but since they're owned by WB they'll probably be working on another WB property and not a new IP.

Steroyd

Let me answer that for you. Last gen we had 2x Ps4 and then 2x 360 (4 consoles, 2 TV's).

We bought Batman on 360 twice. Why ? Game ran and looked better. Its that simple.

I get that, but the PS3 sales weren't always being outsold 2:1, looking at previous entries in the series, the split was generally 55:45.

And it's not even a one off, several titles across multiple genre's has the same mad split, with Japaneese games having roflcopter splits.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Looks like the ps4 is cementing itself in the UK. Pretty impressive. Needs price drop just for good measure

The Witcher 3 (minus pc version)
PS4: 66%
XBO: 34%

Project Cars (minus pc version)

Batman: AK (minus.... lol version)

Those ratio's are actually really simalar. My take is that XBO only owners buy the XBO version and PS4 only owners buy the PS4 version. That will bring the ratio of sales 1:1.3 in favour of the PS4. Then we have to factor in that these types of games did relatively good on PS platforms in the past. The rest of that gap can be atributed to PS4/ XBO owners who are opting for the PS4 version for primary performance (better gfx) reasons.

But the last batman did better on the 360.

I think it more says about the type of gamer Microsoft has "got" as their audience, they buy an Xbox to play your halo, forzas, fables, gears franchises and AAA FPS games, games outside that core focus are niche, evidenced by Sunset Overdrives bomba, that had Plenty marketing here in the UK, a bundle, good review scores, and the audience pretty much ignored it.

Looks like the ps4 is cementing itself in the UK. Pretty impressive. Needs price drop just for good measure

You can get a PS4 for under £300 now, do not think it needs a price cut this year. I think what will happen is they just introduce the 1TB model and more limited editions to the market to drive sales.

Bruno MB

I found these in the old PAL thread. Are they still relevant?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32090961&postcount=6

Top 10 Entertainment Software (All Prices), Week Ending 22 October 2011

01. BATMAN: ARKHAM CITY - WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE - <246,000 / NEW

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32097822&postcount=87

01. [360] BATMAN: ARKHAM CITY - <147,000
02. [PS3] BATMAN: ARKHAM CITY - <118,000

These numbers are based on the information provided by the Chart-Track PR note. They reported that Batman: Arkham City was the 4th biggest launch of the year so far behind FIFA 12, Gears of War 3 & L.A Noire. Hence that <246,000 since we knew that L.A Noire sold 246,000 units.

Famitsu would later publish actual Batman: Arkham City sales data for its debut month.

October 2011 Individual Format Top Ten

01. [360] FIFA 12 (Electronic Arts) - 249,000
02. [PS3] FIFA 12 (Electronic Arts) - 224,000
03. [360] Battlefield 3 (Electronic Arts) - 214,000
04. [360] Forza Motorsport 4 (Microsoft) - 183,000
05. [360] Batman: Arkham City (Warner Bros. Interactive) - 166,000
06. [PS3] Battlefield 3 (Electronic Arts) - 144,000
07. [PS3] Batman: Arkham City (Warner Bros. Interactive) - 128,000
08. [WII] Just Dance 3 (Ubisoft) - 119,000
09. [360] Rage (Bethesda) - 79,000
10. [360] Gears of War 3 (Microsoft) - 61,000

[All Formats] Batman: Arkham City - 294,000 (2 weeks of tracking)

First Week: 198,650
Second Week: 95,350 (-52%)

Maybe the fact that it WAS at release technically the best version with 1080p and solid Frame rate has allot to do with it when consumers are deciding which version to buy (PC patch may have changed that ?)

Discerning consumers ?

Nah I don't think that's the over riding element.

Most folks buying Arkham Knight are regular Joe's not even thinking of the PC release.

They just pre order the game and play it.
Simple fact that the higher install base and PS4 brand awareness winning big time here.

blakep267

But the last batman did better on the 360.

I think it more says about the type of gamer Microsoft has "got" as their audience, they buy an Xbox to play your halo, forzas, fables, gears franchises and AAA FPS games, games outside that core focus are niche, evidenced by Sunset Overdrives bomba, that had Plenty marketing here in the UK, a bundle, good review scores, and the audience pretty much ignored it.
I don't think it's an exact science. ESO continues to do better on the Xbox and I don't even know if that game had any marketing attached to it, where as witcher skews towards ps4 regardless of marketing

stryke

I don't think it's an exact science. ESO continues to do better on the Xbox and I don't even know if that game had any marketing attached to it, where as witcher skews towards ps4 regardless of marketing

No marketing but it was first unveiled at Sony's E3 2013.

Top Bottom