• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 3, 2017

Hasney

I gather Yakuza 0 was sold out on Amazon UK. Probably not an indicator but here's hoping :)

If it fails, I'm claiming stock issues ;)

EDIT: Might not be far from the truth. Game Collection are sold out too.

EDIT 2: SimplyGames as well. It may just have exceeded expectations, sweet.

I'd buy GR2 at half the price, but the narrative failings of the first that don't seem to have been addressed in the second.. for me that's a turn off.

Same really. I appreciate it's disappointing when a game people think is a gem doesn't seem to make much of a dent in a sea of shooters and sports sims, but by the same token there's lots of well-thought of outlets and people who buy nicher titles have been turned-off GR2. Like, I have Yakuza 0 and Nier Automata pre-ordered, I bought TLG on release and I was really intrigued by GR2. But watching people like Giant Bomb spend time with it has put me off; just doesn't look it's for me.

Raylan

Banned
Same really. I appreciate it's disappointing when a game people think is a gem doesn't seem to make much of a dent in a sea of shooters and sports sims, but by the same token there's lots of well-thought of outlets and people who buy nicher titles have been turned-off GR2. Like, I have Yakuza 0 and Nier Automata pre-ordered, I bought TLG on release and I was really intrigued by GR2. But watching people like Giant Bomb spend time with it has put me off; just doesn't look it's for me.
Still, in the end, they all received the same review scores (81-85). So quality-wise, they are not that much different.

Shame for GR2.

I played my part.

I do however, regardless of its actual value proposition as a seemingly lengthy game, think they should have done a Ratchet and released at a more budget price. It seems quite pricey for a niche game to sell even half decently.

LotusHD

Banned
Shame for GR2.

I played my part.

I do however, regardless of its actual value proposition as a seemingly lengthy game, think they should have done a Ratchet and released at a more budget price. It seems quite pricey for a niche game to sell even half decently.

Seemingly? It's been noted to take around 20-40 hours, and I'm already well past that myself lol

I don't know if things would've been that much better with a cheaper price tag, but it certainly doesn't have to go out of its way to justify its current price.

Still, in the end, they all received the same review scores (81-85). So quality-wise, they are not that much different.

Not doubting quality, I just mean people have different tastes about a game's content. Some were essentially saying that people are just not willing to support nicher games at the expense of shooters and sport sims. Whereas I think quite a lot of people who buy nicher titles have been put off by what they have seen/heard of GR2 so far, myself included.

Hasney

Eh, looking on Opencritic, there is a touch of a difference. It's 80 for GR2 and 86 for Yakuza 0 average which translates to GR2 being in the top 19.8% of games reviewed on the site and Yakuza in the top 4.5. There's a difference in critics recommending as well as GR2 got 68% of critics to recommend it and Yakuza 0 has 94%.

Although the score is only 6 points of difference, with it being an average, the actual recommendations have been stronger for Yakuza.

Maxximo

Now to just wait and pick up GR 2 for dirt cheap.

Just started Dishonored 2, still going trough some of the best late 2016 games.

novabolt

And I thought Halo Wars 2 was gonna do bad.

Week 3 and our British PAL charts are still predictable as ever, how boring lol. I'm happy Forza is still trucking because Playground Games made a masterpiece. GTA on top is good because Rockstar may not release a lot of games, but when they do, their good.

Not doubting quality, I just mean people have different tastes about a game's content. Some were essentially saying that people are just not willing to support nicher games at the expense of shooters and sport sims. Whereas I think quite a lot of people who buy nicher titles have been put off by what they have seen/heard of GR2 so far, myself included.
Well said, thanks :)

Well, at least we got the sequel we deserve! Bless you, Kat!

Ugh.

Not surprised at GR2's placement, but it still kinda sucks. The U.K. doesn't seem to be very receptive towards Japanese games =/

I did my part in the US, so hopefully it fares better here and in other markets.

Raylan

Banned
Not surprised at GR2's placement, but it still kinda sucks. The U.K. doesn't seem to be very receptive towards Japanese games =/

I did my part in the US, so hopefully it fares better here and in other markets.
It won't. It won't get a lot more sales in the west.
Japan will be its best region, sales-wise.

LotusHD

Banned
What's wrong with Giant Bomb? I've never heard of them and don't go into the NeoGAF threads about them.

I have no idea how much clout or w/e Giant Bomb has, but I did find it amusing that people kept referring specifically to their 30min. video in my thread as an indicator that the game isn't very good. Which felt weird since it was described as a "quick look", as opposed to the numerous reviews already out, both positive and mixed, that covered the whole game.

I don't think it's about japanese games, Souls/Bloodborne games sells good actually.

It's more about a mix of Anime aesthetics + abstract gameplay with not as much focus on combat IMO. It's a hard game to sell to the average guy with a console.

Souls games are made by a japanese dev, but not considered japanese games. They,re not the typical jrpg. Same is true for Pokémon.

The only successful "classic japanese" game in the west is FF

Ferr986

thatsbait.gif

P2iBGjs.gif

Souls games are made by a japanese dev, but not considered japanese games. They,re not the typical jrpg. Same is true for Pokémon.

The only successful "classic japanese" game in the west is FF

Yeah I know some people think like that but I don't agree with "Souls games aren't japanese games". A japanese game doesn't mean it's anime or JRPG. Same with, say, Dragon's Dogma, for example (talking about games that people dont consider "japanese").

By Amazon accounts, GR2 is also a disaster in the US, and I'm pretty sure Japan will be by far the most successful market for it (between 50K and 100K).

I can't understand how PlayStation gamers can make The Last Guardian a decent success and just after ignore completely Gravity Rush 2. The remastered paved the way, the reviews were excellent, the timing was right and the marketing was not nonexistent either. A fucking disgrace, no excuse can be found here.

Why should people pay £45 for something they don't want to play? Marketing wouldn't have helped.

I have no idea how much clout or w/e Giant Bomb has, but I did find it amusing that people kept referring specifically to their 30min. video in my thread as an indicator that the game isn't very good. Which felt weird since it was described as a "quick look", as opposed to the numerous reviews already out, both positive and mixed, that covered the whole game.

That's the word though, their video provided an 'indicator', not an indictment. From it, I wouldn't be able to judge the entirety of a game's content but I would be able to see the core mechanics, the style of quests, the art style and so on. That indicated for me that it probably wasn't my thing, no big deal. I read up some more from other sources, yeah, still probably not my thing.

But yeah, my broader point is that some are acting like people are ignoring GR2 because they don't enjoy nicher experiences and my point is that maybe some people just aren't into it, for the sake of balance. For what it's worth, I hope it does well as I'd rather see a wider range of nicher games out there doing well even they don't float my boat as that's good for everyone - some of my favourite games sold poorly and reviewed far worse haha.

Begaria

GR2 was too expensive. Should have been priced similarly to Ratchet and Clank, but instead you'd have been hard pressed to find anywhere selling it under £40.

Why? It's completely worth full price due to the amount of good content in the game. It's not a reimagining of a decade old game, but a full fledged sequel to a new IP.

wapplew

Why? It's completely worth full price due to the amount of good content in the game. It's not a reimagining of a decade old game, but a full fledged sequel to a new IP.

I guess that's the perceived value for GR2.
Handheld origin, cell shaded etc make people think it should cost less. Everyone who played it know it worth every penny tho.
Thier lost.

silva1991

GR2 was too expensive. Should have been priced similarly to Ratchet and Clank, but instead you'd have been hard pressed to find anywhere selling it under £40.

Probably is.

It's a 40-70 hours game depending on how many side missions you will do.

It certainly worth full price more than the upcoming everyone's 6-8 hours darling tomorrow.

Theorry

And I thought Halo Wars 2 was gonna do bad.

Probably will. And thats coming from someone who is excited to play it next month.
Halo name will help and good reviews will help. But its not gonna do good on the chart. Its pretty niche and not really for the big audience who still get their games at retail.
Still doesnt mean its a bad game. Just like GR2.

novabolt

Ahh, okay. May I trouble you for the link of that video you're talking about, please?

I just think their are numerous previews of the game that better represent the game. Not in the sense that they only praise the game either. I'm speaking in terms of best showcasing how GR2 plays and what not.

I'm new to them but from what I've seen from some of their videos, I'm not a fan.

Seemingly? It's been noted to take around 20-40 hours, and I'm already well past that myself lol

I don't know if things would've been that much better with a cheaper price tag, but it certainly doesn't have to go out of its way to justify its current price.

Seemingly from own experience so far. I've not read up on the games length so had no idea on how long it would be but certainly seems meaty backed up from what you've said also.

And I think a big part of Ratchets success was it's budget price. It certainly doesn't always work but I feel in this instance many more would have taken the punt if it was cheaper and could have helped a niche title sell better. Sometimes certain titles just need that little push. But GR2 was never going to light the charts on fire sadly.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Well I'll be doing my part and buying GR2 soon in the US. Just trying to beat Dishonored 2 before I jump into it.

Probably will. And thats coming from someone who is excited to play it next month.
Halo name will help and good reviews will help. But its not gonna do good on the chart. Its pretty niche and not really for the big audience who still get their games at retail.
Still doesnt mean its a bad game. Just like GR2.
Halo Wars 1 did pretty well iirc.

I don't think 2 will do as well.

Kill3r7

What's wrong with Giant Bomb? I've never heard of them and don't go into the NeoGAF threads about them.

Giant Bomb is a "old men yell at clouds" thing, for me. Some like them, some don't.

I guess it depends on your perspective. At times GB can come off as "old men yelling at clouds". However, when you compare it to most gaming podcasts/websites out there, which tend to be nothing more than glorified hype machines, being a bit of curmudgeon is not necessarily a bad thing. Also, familiarity with the guys plays a big part into it. To be fair, it also does not hurt that my gaming tastes align with theirs for the most part.

xrnzaaas

Jeepers... Titanfall has died. Pleased for Steep! Great, underrated game.

That's very sad. Most of the local stores are selling the console versions for the equivalent of 25 dollars (PC version is even cheaper at around 20 bucks) and that's not counting various sales.

yurinka

Gravity Bomba 2
Shouldn't take long now, if retailers want to get rid of copies.

Gravity Rush 2 has been the best selling game of the week in Japan.

For western markets it's a small niche game. It isn't a mainstream AAA game, so it's a bit silly to think it bombed because it doesn't appear in the top selling rankings for a western country.

Nobody including retailers or Sony expect to see it there, a game like this has lower sales expectation and can be performing as expected without being a top selling game.

No. Maybe it isn't a big AAA, but it's an open world game with dozens of hours of content and great, charming visuals and art style.

Top Bottom