• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 41, 2010

FIFA 11 (combined) is now at 74,424.

Assuming the split is still roughly 40/40/20 (Xbox 360/PS3/Wii&PSP) then FIFA 11 Xbox 360 is just over 30k.

This should be an indicator of how low sales are outside of the top 10 and that Vanquish, EA Sports MMA and DJ Hero 2 have sold very badly.

gogogow said:
Bayonetta did so much better at no.6 (360) and 14 (PS3).

Not necessarily - positions can be misleading. That said, I think the period Bayonetta released was a lot better in terms of week-to-week sales, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if it did do substantially better.

gogogow

Cosmonaut X said:
Not necessarily - positions can be misleading. That said, I think the period Bayonetta released was a lot better in terms of week-to-week sales, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if it did do substantially better.
True, but it was up against the likes of MW2, NSMBWii, WSR, Wiifit, UC2, AC2 etc. Shouldn't have done THAT bad (compared to Vanquish) if the game is between those ones.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Sad reflection of the current gaming market in UK, Europe.

Its seems to be getting harder to launch a new IP (Enslaved, Vanquish) as cash strapped gamers are making "safe" choices with their money by buying known good games like FIFA, Fallout and other big franchises.

Opus Angelorum said:
This should be an indicator of how low sales are outside of the top 10 and that Vanquish, EA Sports MMA and DJ Hero 2 have sold very badly.
On the subject of DJ Hero 2... one of my local supermarkets had a display that had about 30 boxes of that in it. I couldn't help feeling at the time that it was likely to be a bad idea. :lol

navanman said:
Sad reflection of the current gaming market in UK, Europe.

Its seems to be getting harder to launch a new IP (Enslaved, Vanquish) as cash strapped gamers are making "safe" choices with their money by buying known good games like FIFA, Fallout and other big franchises.

Isn't this the same thing that is observed in each generation?

As your userbase grows and matures and the range of games on offer increases, particularly in terms of established series, it becomes harder and harder to launch a new IP. The "boom time" for new IP is at or near launch where there is less competition - especially from the big names - and more light on what would otherwise be lower-profile titles.

There's almost a "fire ecology" at work; that is that there's a point when, for smaller publishers or for the sake of creating new, successful IP, the whole console cycle needs to be restarted to allow fresh growth. It's why I wonder quite how beneficial Sony and Microsoft's "10-year-plans" are to the industry as a whole.

Bernbaum

No offense to Mass Effect 2, but seeing a Q1 game like that ahead of the decent but simple Enslaved makes me sadpandaface.

Bernbaum said:
No offense to Mass Effect 2, but seeing a Q1 game like that ahead of the decent but simple Enslaved makes me sadpandaface.
Could be worse... it could be Wii Sports Resort or Wii Fit Plus you're talking about. =/

noobie

Banned
guardian use to give the percentage of each title sold in multiplatform titles.. doesnt it give this percentage anymore?

FrankT

Bethesda’s ‘Fallout: New Vegas’ is the new No1, comfortably beating Bethesda’s previous record holder ‘Fallout 3’ which debuted at No1 in week 44, 2008 (up 29% units over the previous title).

Impressed. Not surprised by Vanquish, Castlevania or Enslaved. With that said has Forza been in the mix lately? When is that re-release? The thing may have a shot at platinum.

Cosmonaut X said:
Isn't this the same thing that is observed in each generation?

As your userbase grows and matures and the range of games on offer increases, particularly in terms of established series, it becomes harder and harder to launch a new IP. The "boom time" for new IP is at or near launch where there is less competition - especially from the big names - and more light on what would otherwise be lower-profile titles.

There's almost a "fire ecology" at work; that is that there's a point when, for smaller publishers or for the sake of creating new, successful IP, the whole console cycle needs to be restarted to allow fresh growth. It's why I wonder quite how beneficial Sony and Microsoft's "10-year-plans" are to the industry as a whole.
Red Dead Redemption (1st game was niche in comparison), Bayonetta, Darksiders, Heavy Rain, Alan Wake, Just Dance, Demons Souls, and Dragon Age have all been pretty successful in the past year.

Enslaved and Vanquish have the disadvantage of launching in a crowded month with not one but several high-profile releases, and of course running into FIFA/PES head first, which hurts every game released against them every year in PAL territories.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Red Dead Redemption (1st game was niche in comparison), Bayonetta, Darksiders, Heavy Rain, Alan Wake, Just Dance, Demons Souls, and Dragon Age have all been pretty successful in the past year.

Enslaved and Vanquish have the disadvantage of launching in a crowded month with not one but several high-profile releases, and of course running into FIFA/PES head first, which hurts every game released against them every year in PAL territories.

RDR had a massive ad push and was from one of the industry's highest-profile devs, the jury's out on the success of Bayonetta outside of Japan (yes, I know Sega's shipment figures), Heavy Rain and Alan Wake were both essentially first-party titles that had the full weight of the platform-holder behind them...

Of your list, you can probably point to Just Dance, DS and DA as being successful breakouts, but even there you have the weight of Bioware and Ubisoft behind two of them...

Anyway, I'm not arguing that you can never have successful new IP this far in to a generation, just that the chances of succeeding become that much lower and the bar is set that much higher, squeezing out the publishers and devs who don't have the resources to compete in terms of promotion and polish.

EDIT:

...and your final para kind of makes my point. At this point in the generation, new IP like Vanquish is more likely to be going up against other high-profile releases from established series and competing against that, and against a growing back-catalogue, so it become tougher and tougher to get a foothold.

Pooya

oh boy, Naruto UNS2 is out of top 40 in it's second week and last week by our estimations it did 12k-13k at most, mega bomba.

sales split, didn't see it posted here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2010/oct/25/video-games-chart-top-10

Fallout: New Vegas Xbox 360 (60) PS3 (30) PC (10)
Medal Of Honor Xbox 360 (52) PS3 (44)
Fifa 11 Xbox 360 (44) PS3 (38) Wii (6) PSP (6)
F1 2010 PS3 (51) Xbox 360 (49) PC (0)
Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 PS3 (63) Xbox 360 (35)PC (2)
Dead Rising 2 Xbox 360 (59) PS3 (40)

miladesn said:
oh boy, Naruto UNS2 is out of top 40 in it's second week and last week by our estimations it did 12k-13k at most, mega bomba.
I doubt any Naruto has debuted better than that, also its out of stock in nearly every e-retailer (amazon, play, all the hut group, game, hmv, all blahdvd group...).

Majora

I'm really surprised at the Fallout split. That type of split is usually what you see from the likes of Dead Rising, Bioshock or Lost Planet - games that debuted on 360

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Majora said:
I'm really surprised at the Fallout split. That type of split is usually what you see from the likes of Dead Rising, Bioshock or Lost Planet - games that debuted on 360

DLC

FrankT

Fallout really isn't that surprising. It sold a ton on the 360 the first time around and it had the DLC to go with it. Not sure how much the late DLC announcment may have impacted things this time around, but it has built a strong brand name around the 360 this gen.

Edit: Really have to wonder what ME2's LTD WW is now.

Majora said:
Fallout 3 and most WRPGs have traditionally been much bigger on 360, it's the next "sure-thing" genre on the box after fps, sports, and open-world games.

Responding to me being quoted above, I wouldn't exactly say that Sega and Namco are indie small fries. Their western branches are largely incompetent, but they did put together some pretty nice campaigns for Tekken 6, Soul Calibur 4, The Conduit, and AvP. I would think that Sega probably made a wise choice by not pouring its full budget into a niche score-attack shooter (unless they played up the "from the creator of RE4 angle").

Namco really tried, but I question the wisdom of publishers who keep giving Ninja Theory AAA budgets when they've never made a hit game. Bioware is able to get away with janky new ips like Dragon Age because they've built up credibility over the years, thanks in large part to Baldurs Gate on the PC side and KOTOR on the console side. Maybe DmC wl be NT's "New Vegas" or "World at War" but it's equally likely they'll drag the ip down with them.

Rad-

subversus said:

I doubt the exclusive DLC really mattered in this case as it was announced so late, and quite quiet announcement to boot. I think it has more to do that 360 just has a bigger WRPG fanbase (Fable, Mass Effect etc as compared to PS3's well, nothing).

Top Bottom