• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 47, 2012

Pooya

http://www.vg247.com/2012/12/03/uk-charts-black-ops-2-holds-top-wii-u-peaks-at-11th/

Nintendo’s highest Wii U entry is Nintendo Land at 11th place, surpassing fellow console releases New Super Mario Bros. U and ZombiU. Bear in mind however that it’s a single format, has just come out and is in limited supply. If the American market is any measure – in which Wii U sold 400,000 units in its first week of launch, we could see the console and its software do big guns when next week’s chart releases on Monday 10th Dec.

Meanwhile Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 holds firm at the top spot, despite analyst claims that the series has entered a sales decline.

Island-hopping shooter Far Cry 3 has debuted at second place, proving that insanity sells. This is despite a slew of Uplay connection issues on PC that disrupted play.

#11 is Nintendo Land which is basically Deluxe/premium bundles right?

Nintendo Land being first is a bit surprising. But guess that means not everyone is picking up Mario but other games instead which is positive I suppose.

Still would have prefered it one or two positions higher.

Pooya

Nintendo Land being first is a bit surprising. But guess that means not everyone is picking up Mario but other games instead which is positive I suppose.

Nintendo Land is the bundled game with premium sets, these charts count bundles.
you can buy it separately too but I doubt many would.

Loudninja

Premium Wii U bundle claims 60 per cent of launch sales
Nintendo’s high-end Premium Wii U SKU was by far the most attractive to UK buyers over the console’s launch weekend.

That’s according to data from GfK Chart-Track, which says that the £300 bundle won around a 60 per cent share of the console’s launch weekend sales.

The ZombiU bundle accounted for 30 per cent, leaving Nintendo’s entry-level 8GB Basic pack grabbing just 10 per cent.
The highest Wii U entry in the software charts was bundled game Nintendo Land, although it failed to break into the Top Ten, debuting at No.11. Fellow first party release New Super Mario Bros U entered the listings in 13th with Ubisoft claiming the highest charting third party title – ZombiU in 17th.

No other Wii U exclusives charted.
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/premium-wii-u-bundle-claims-60-per-cent-of-launch-sales/0107412

It's been obvious that it would get off to a slow start. A very high price, extremely confusing advertising and Inconsistent stock (you can easily get one, but supermarkets and so forth have nothing at all in parts of the country. I would expect that it will come in somewhere between Vita (30 - 40k) and the Xbox 360’s 75k opening weekend.

Nintendo Land is the bundled game with premium sets, these charts count bundles.
you can buy it separately too but I doubt many would.

When did they change the rules to distinguish between pack-in and bundled? Wii Sports (original) never charted; is it a case of "game is available elsewhere = bundle"?

Dynoro

So ZombiU sold half the bundles that Nintendoland did and dropped 6 places due to this (even with people buying ZombiU separately)? Doesn't this mean very low sales across the board as neither managed to get in the top 10?

The basic model should have never existed and it's becoming increasingly obvious no one wants it. And it actually seems these positions are pretty mediocre.

So ZombiU sold half the bundles that Nintendoland did and dropped 6 places due to this (even with people buying ZombiU separately)? Doesn't this mean very low sales across the board as neither managed to get in the top 10?

I think so. Having now seen where both bundles charted, PROBABLY a bit higher than Vita's February launch, but not by much. Nintendo need to start thinking about chopping £100 off the price pre-Christmas if it has collapsed like this elsewhere.

Sandfox

I'm expecting decent numbers for this market but not anything amazing.

The basic model should have never existed and it's becoming increasingly obvious no one wants it.

They probably did it because people were demanding that they have a pack in game and they also wanted to have a cheaper model out there.

I think so. Having now seen where both bundles charted, PROBABLY a bit higher than Vita's February launch, but not by much. Nintendo need to start thinking about chopping £100 off the price pre-Christmas if it has collapsed like this elsewhere.

That is a lot of money. They would probably just be better off just waiting it out for a year than do that IMO.

antonz

Basic has become the tard pack real fast and its not popular at all. People are willing enough to pass the basics up to find deluxes.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Probably it's because NL is available alone too.

However, remember that it's end of the year, numbers are much higher than they were in other months ( Example. COD:BOD is the 2nd best debut for Vita in 2012. Given Vita launched in 2012, it's between 15k - FIFA Football - and 21k - Uncharted. It charted 17th).

How can you go off chart positions when sales are much higher this time of the year?

Nintendo need to start thinking about chopping £100

wat

Dynoro

How can you go off chart positions when sales are much higher this time of the year?

Even if sales are massively increased (like 3-400% up on normal) a sub top ten spot has got to be pretty small numbers given what the UK market has been like recently. But you are right; it is difficult to extrapolate too much as we haven't had semi accurate numbers for a long while.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
When did they change the rules to distinguish between pack-in and bundled? Wii Sports (original) never charted; is it a case of "game is available elsewhere = bundle"?

There was one Wii SKU which included Wii Sports by default, that's why it wasn't included. Same with Kinect Adventures. If you bought a Wii, it included Wii Sports. If you bought Kinect, it included KA.

There are separate SKUs for the Wii U which is why Nintendo Land and ZombiU count.

Striek

The basic bundle does serve the purpose of making the deluxe look better value and having Nintendo be able to say "starting from $300/£250/€300". Same as the 360 and PS3 tard packs which no one wanted either.

They're not high enough to have a title that sold to over 60% of the install base be #11 a positive sign for that consoles sales.

We usually get reasonably precise figures for UK console launches so we should wait for that though.

The basic bundle does serve the purpose of making the deluxe look better value and having Nintendo be able to say "starting from $300/£250/€300". Same as the 360 and PS3 tard packs which no one wanted either.

They're not high enough to have a title that sold to over 60% of the install base be #11 a positive sign for that consoles sales.

We usually get reasonably precise figures for UK console launches so we should wait for that though.

Oh somehow I missed this stat. Wow, that looks pretty bad then especially since people could buy Nintendoland outside of the bundle, so it was actually 60%+ whoever bought it.

Sandfox

Looking at the actual software that topped I can see why the Wii U games are low. Its not necessarily good but I don't think its Vita bad. also, Weren't Just Dance and Skylanders released for the Wii U as well? Their multiplat but I'm sure they sold some copies at the very least lol

Looking at the actual software that topped I can see why the Wii U games are low. Its not necessarily good but I don't think its Vita bad. also, Weren't Just Dance and Skylanders released for the Wii U as well? Their multiplat but I'm sure they sold some copies at the very least lol

We really would need a split for all those multiplat games like CoD, Just Dance, and Skylanders.

antonz

If 60% of wiiUs sold included Nintendoland and it only charts at 11 that would indicate console supply more than anything probably being an issue which was rumored for months that Europe might get the shaft initially

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Because they're still not that high. #11 selling, say, 50k in this depressed market would be a massive shock. The positions suggest Vita-ish performance, perhaps a little bit worse.
360s highest at launch was PDZ at 12. Although the 360 didn't have a game included with 60% of systems.

#11 would also be a fair amount less than 50k I would think.

That is a lot of money. They would probably just be better off just waiting it out for a year than do that IMO.

People said that when I commented to similar effect on Vita - there's under performing and then there's a complete flop, which this performance suggests. Given that it's readily available, something is amiss - I think it's a combination of price (Wii launched at a much better time with more buzz & a game for £180) and the fact that most people think it's a peripheral or something.

Wow at ZombiU % and hell at Basic %

Basic was a flop everywhere it seems.
Nintendo might do well to stick some cheap bundles with it.

ZombiU did pretty fantastic.

If 60% of wiiUs sold included Nintendoland and it only charts at 11 that would indicate console supply more than anything probably being an issue which was rumored for months that Europe might get the shaft initially

Possible. Late launch in the week too. We'll see how it does over December.
I know a Game on twitter said their third shipment came in today and they were out of stock all Sunday; possibly Saturday.

Also:
No other Wii U exclusives charted.

Poor Funky Barn :p

I'm sorry can you explain why that would indicate a supply problem?
People said similarly when I commented to similar effect on Vita - there's under performing and then there's a complete flop, which this performance suggests.

It's been 2 days and you want them to lower the price below that of Vita and the 3DS XL? They might as well just take it off the market with the money they'd be losing.

antonz

People are saying its sold so terrible being at #11. Well considering it was sold with 60% of all WiiU consoles sold if its charting that low it indicates WiiU sales are of a level that #11 is the best it could manage.

The WiiU certainly lacked the power of a title like Zelda to chart higher.

People are saying its sold so terrible being at #11. Well considering it was sold with 60% of all WiiU consoles sold if its charting that low it indicates WiiU sales are of a level that #11 is the best it could manage.

No I understand why NL is so low, but why does that indicate a shortage rather than severe lack of demand for Wii U in general?

It's been 2 days and you want them to lower the price below that of Vita and the 3DS XL? They might as well just take it off the market with the money they'd be losing.

They need a price cut (they have form in that area; N64, GC, 3DS...) or advertising that hasn't been produced by baboons. A name change - or just something on the box that explains Wii U is Wii 2 - wouldn't hurt, either.

Dynoro

People are sure quick to chicken little this after 2 days.

WiiU is certainly selling less that I thought it would initially; but this could be down to supply constraints (though I'm not seeing that around here). I suspect sales will pick up once word of mouth gets around and it gets a price drop (no way near £100 though) as £300 for the deluxe is a lot compared to the other consoles.

Sandfox

But then you have to add an unknown percentage up to 40% more than than #11 to get the Wii U numbers. In all honesty its too difficult to figure out without actual numbers. It either did meh or garbage though. Its only been three days since launch so I'm more curious about next weeks numbers.

They need a price cut (they have form in that area; N64, GC, 3DS...) or advertising that hasn't been produced by baboons. A name change - or just something on the box that explains Wii U is Wii 2 - wouldn't hurt, either.

Its too early for them to go crazy over that.

If Wii U is bombing it probably has more to do with the software lineup and hardware than the price or advertising. A quick price drop that loses them a lot money won't do much.

Mpl90

UK All SKUs top 40 (courtesy of Ukie)

Activision’s ‘Call of Duty: Black Ops II’ takes a 3rd straight week at No1 (-35%) with a Wii U version debuting this week. Ubisoft claim the biggest new entry at No2 with ‘Far Cry 3’ for 360/PS3/PC and this title becomes the 9th biggest launch of 2012, just behind last week’s ‘Hitman Absolution’. EA’s ‘FIFA 13’ remains at No3 for a 4th week in a row (+19%) and also welcomes a Wii U version into the family. This means that ‘FIFA 13’ is now available on 9 different formats, which has not happened since 1993/1994’s ‘FIFA International Soccer’, which also made it to 9 formats. Square Enix’s ‘Hitman Absolution’ drops from a debut last week at No2 to No4 this week (-51%) and Ubsioft drop 1 place to No5 with ‘Assassin’s Creed III’ (53,923), which this week gains 2 Wii U SKU’s (Standard edition and Join or Die edition). Ubisoft’s ‘Just Dance 4’ moves up 1 place to No6 (+48%) and also gets a Wii U edition. Warner’s ‘Lego The Lord of the Rings’ is at No7 (+6%) and Microsoft’s ‘Halo 4’ drops 3 places to No8 (-12%). Activision’s ‘Skylanders Giants’ is at No9 (+4%) also with a Wii U version and EA’s ‘Need For Speed Most Wanted’ takes No10 (+28%). The Top 3 Wii U titles all debut in the Top 40 with Nintendo’s ‘Nintendo Land’ at No11, ‘New Super Mario Bros. U’ at No 14 and Ubisoft’s ‘Zombi U’ at No17. In summary, there were 5 Wii U SKU’s of titles within the Top 10 and 10 Wii U versions of titles within the Top 40.

CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS II - ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
FAR CRY 3 - UBISOFT
FIFA 13 - ELECTRONIC ARTS
HITMAN ABSOLUTION - SQUARE ENIX EUROPE
ASSASSIN'S CREED III - UBISOFT
JUST DANCE 4 - UBISOFT
LEGO THE LORD OF THE RINGS - WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE
HALO 4 - MICROSOFT
SKYLANDERS GIANTS - ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
NEED FOR SPEED MOST WANTED - ELECTRONIC ARTS
NINTENDO LAND - NINTENDO
DISHONORED - BETHESDA SOFTWORKS
FOOTBALL MANAGER 2013 - SEGA
NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. U - NINTENDO
WWE '13 - THQ
MOSHI MONSTERS: MOSHLINGS THEME PARK - MIND CANDY
ZOMBI U - UBISOFT
MEDAL OF HONOR: WARFIGHTER - ELECTRONIC ARTS
NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. 2 - NINTENDO
FORZA HORIZON - MICROSOFT
BOOK OF SPELLS - SONY COMPUTER ENT.
RESIDENT EVIL 6 - CAPCOM
THE ELDER SCROLLS V: SKYRIM - BETHESDA SOFTWORKS
SONIC & ALL STARS RACING TRANSFORMED - SEGA
F1 2012 - CODEMASTERS
LEGO BATMAN 2: DC SUPER HEROES - WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE
MARIO & SONIC LONDON 2012 OLYMPIC GAMES - SEGA
ANGRY BIRDS TRILOGY - ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
FORZA MOTORSPORT 4 - MICROSOFT
MARIO KART 7 - NINTENDO
DISNEY EPIC MICKEY 2: THE POWER OF TWO - DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS
KINECT DISNEYLAND ADVENTURES - MICROSOFT
PROFESSOR LAYTON AND THE MIRACLE MASK - NINTENDO
UDRAW STUDIO: INSTANT ARTIST - THQ
JUST DANCE DISNEY PARTY - UBISOFT
F1 RACE STARS - CODEMASTERS
007 LEGENDS - ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
SUPER MARIO 3D LAND - NINTENDO
CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS DECLASSIFIED - ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
DANCE CENTRAL 2 - MICROSOFT

No I understand why NL is so low, but why does that indicate a shortage rather than severe lack of demand for Wii U in general?

It's true that it doesn't have the usual presence in major supermarkets (seems some big stores have stock, most nothing at all) but that could be because they don't think it's a valid use of store space. It's in stock wherever you look online, so the extremely low sales can't realistically be attributed to a lack of units.

Mpl90

Wait a second, didn't notice the AC3 number. Probably something went wrong: that's where you put percentages, not actual numbers. :lol

Top Bottom