• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 47, 2013

Tearaway is on the wrong handheld for the audience it was going for, this is the reality(I know it was a 1st party studio).

The reality is that all companies need to build that audience. It's foolhardy to not expand your audience base, and rely strictly on the core audience.

Puppeteer and Tearaway are no Marios, or even Kirbys/DKs, but their existence is necessary to showcase that games of such appeal exist outside of the Nintendo platforms.

Just because it never did well doesn't mean it's a flop. Killzone games keep getting made, despite their percieved flops compared to other mainstream shooters.

And anyway, why concern yourself over stuff like that. Let them make it, and we'll be the judge. Every studio goes through their ups and downs.

Killzone games keep getting made because SCEE top management refuse admit they made a mistake by purchasing GG for a fuckton of cash and then pumping even more money into them to make a "Halo killer".

Once they climbdown happens GG is not going to be around, at least not how it is right now. They will send in someone from SCE UK to fix it up.

Technically incompetent after having been bailed out for Killzone on PS3 and creatively lacking. Just poor all around.

I say this as a very, very disappointed Killzone fan. The only good one has been Mercenary, which was developed by SCE Cambridge. If they take over the franchise, it might actually be good. However, I would prefer them to work on their own games from now on.

SmokyDave

Perhaps more tellingly this means that Xbox One is, according to the same source, now just a few thousand units short of beating the Wii U’s total UK sales accrued since its release a year ago this week.

Stock permitting Xbox One should shoot ahead of Nintendo’s machine this week. And a strong launch for PS4 this Friday could see Nintendo relegated to third place in the UK next-gen battle.
'Relegated to third place' is a polite way of putting things. 'Consigned to complete and utter irrelevance' is how I'd have put it.

Perhaps more tellingly this means that Xbox One is, according to the same source, now just a few thousand units short of beating the Wii U’s total UK sales accrued since its release a year ago this week.

Just goes to show, a year's head-start doesn't always mean much.

It's a shame though. The console is in a mess but the first party games are fantastic as always. It's a shame to think millions of people will completely miss out on every laying their hands on them because they're tied to a console they'll never buy for themselves or for their kids. I can't wait for NSM3DW this Friday. Yes, I'll be getting PS4 the same day, but in all honestly I know what I'll likely spend more time on this weekend, and it'll be last year's console.

They will send in someone from SCE UK to fix it up.

That'd be good, though I do hope they can rise to the occasion on their own merits.

If they take over the franchise, it might actually be good. However, I would prefer them to work on their own games from now on.

The fact that they're now Guerilla Cambridge doesn't fill me with much expectations. Feels like they may end up being Guerilla's farm-studio, making games utilising assets from the main studio. ( Killzone ,or whatever new IP they're making )

Kysen

The only good one has been Mercenary, which was developed by SCE Cambridge.

This was my first Killzone and it has not left a good impression on me. Definitely felt like a B-tier shooter(story/VA terrible) and I regret buying it. Contrary to popular belief I don't think the Vita analogue sticks are good for shooters, way too loose and finicky.

Killzone SF on Friday will be the final chance I give this franchise.

I was expecting Tearway to bomb but not that badly, even W101 charted at #14, I was expecting a similar result.

And people need to buy more Zeruda, it will probably chart for a while though.

SmokyDave

That will be next week, if Mario would chart at no. 38.
Nah, it's already irrelevant. One more Mario game isn't going to change anything. Mario could hit number 1 for the next 3 weeks running but it couldn't paper over the cracks that form the rest of the Wii U release schedule. Nintendo are about to get deservedly flattened.

(As an aside, are you really trying to compare 3D World to Tearaway?! You crazy).

I was expecting Tearway to bomb but not that badly, even W101 charted at #14, I was expecting a similar result.

I didn't expect Tearaway to chart at all. Was a pleasant surprise.

A great game is never a waste of anyone's talent. Besides, the game was made by 15 people.

They already have a team working on PS4 stuff. If anything, Tearaway is a gateway for greater things utilising the papercraft concept moving forward on PS4.

Double Eleven and Tarsier should be able to make use of the MM secret sauce into something great, while MM go think up another crazy concept.

Of course it's a waste if it doesn't find an audience. I'm sure Double 11 and Tarsier are good studios but I'd prefer MM made the next LBP. A 3D LBP from them would be amazing.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
(As an aside, are you really trying to compare 3D World to Tearaway?! You crazy).

Isn't the best game on Vita this year? And Vita sold more LTE than Wii U, didn't it?

I don't say that it should sell more than Mario, I was talking about what "utter irrelevance" is.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Did Nintendo release a Wii U game this week that I'm not aware of since so many here is discussing the irrelevancy of it instead of the numbers we actually got here?

How can Tearaway at 38th be a pleasant surprise Dave? It's a high profile title, from a big studio, that was highly critically acclaimed. Are you trying to spin me off my feet here?

Need for Speed is such a decaying franchise.
Chuckled at Black Flag on WiiU. Seems sad especially given that the game was so well received. Nintendo's audience are their own worst enemy some times.
Happy that Capcom has had some success at last.
Glad Tearaway charted. Wish I could justify the cost to play it

Can't wait for Mario next week.

crinale

Stock permitting Xbox One should shoot ahead of Nintendo’s machine this week. And a strong launch for PS4 this Friday could see Nintendo relegated to third place in the UK next-gen battle.

And it's been only few days for X1, PS4 isn't even released yet. Oh my.

TW101 didn't launch the same week as a new console, in the midst of the busiest shopping season. It would be lost without trace if it launched around now.

SmokyDave

Isn't the best game on Vita this year? And Vita sold more LTE than Wii U, didn't it?
It's certainly the highest reviewed (personally I'd probably put it 3rd behind Killzone and Dragon's Crown).

I don't know how the Vita LTD stacks up to the Wii U, they're probably in the same ballpark.

Are you really suggesting that Tearaway should have the same market relevance as a new 3D Mario?

Everyone knew Tearaway was going to bomb. It has been long lamented. If 3D World bombs, the board will go into a state of shock.

And it's been only few days for X1, PS4 isn't even released yet. Oh my.
Stock permitting, the PS4 will blow past the Wii U in a matter of hours. Incredible.

Look at those brand new gaming ecperiences topping the charts.

Yeah, that's quite a depressing top 10 overall.

Should have been a Vita/PS4 game. ;(

No, almost all of its unique features wouldn't have been possible or at least not been as well integrated on the PS4.

Are these charts going to be usefull in the years ahead without having information on digital sales?

Tearaway I imagine would have been higher and PS4 and XB1 are going to be pushing digital sales.

Traditional charts are going to be increasingly useless as the months and years pass by. I would guess a good proportion of Vita sales are digital. I would have bought Tearaway from PSN if I didn't already have a copy pre-ordered.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
TW101 didn't launch the same week as a new console, in the midst of the busiest shopping season. It would be lost without trace if it launched around now.

There are 8 new console games in top 15. And 12 in top 40.

Are you really suggesting that Tearaway should have the same market relevance as a new 3D Mario?

Forget Mario, how about W101 and Rayman Legends Wii U? How about Sonic Lost World, the ultimate bomba?

But if you're happy with this result, fine for me.

Dusky

Killzone games keep getting made because SCEE top management refuse admit they made a mistake by purchasing GG for a fuckton of cash and then pumping even more money into them to make a "Halo killer".

Once they climbdown happens GG is not going to be around, at least not how it is right now. They will send in someone from SCE UK to fix it up.

Technically incompetent after having been bailed out for Killzone on PS3 and creatively lacking. Just poor all around.

I say this as a very, very disappointed Killzone fan. The only good one has been Mercenary, which was developed by SCE Cambridge. If they take over the franchise, it might actually be good. However, I would prefer them to work on their own games from now on.

At this stage I'd say that GG's next title is basically a make or break for them.

SmokyDave

Forget Mario, how about W101 and Rayman Legends Wii U? How about Sonic Lost World, the ultimate bomba?

But if you're happy with this result, fine for me.
Oh, I see, this is the same ol' 'you said something about the Wii U so I'll take a swipe at the Vita' thing. Man, never gets old.

I'm happy with the Tearaway result because I accept that the Vita is an irrelevant platform and that Tearaway was always going to bomb in a spectacular manner. That it even charted is a relative success to me, which should tell you that I view the Vita in general as a commercial failure.

Zemm

Tearaway is on the wrong handheld for the audience it was going for, this is the reality(I know it was a 1st party studio).

But you couldn't do what it does on the 3DS, or any other console for that matter (PS4 port beggars). Take away the touch stuff etc and it wouldn't be half as good.

Maedhros

Sonic is Sonic. It doesn't matter if they don't market it that much (and they market it a lot), it does have it's fans.

Tearaway was a fucking great game, without any marketing behind it. Of course it would bomba, even with a great price.

And there's no way it'll come out in other platforms. People need to deal with it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Oh, I see, this is the same ol' 'you said something about the Wii U so I'll take a swipe at the Vita' thing. Man, never gets old.

I'm happy with the Tearaway result because I accept that the Vita is an irrelevant platform and that Tearaway was always going to bomb in a spectacular manner. That it even charted is a relative success to me, which should tell you that I view the Vita in general as a commercial failure.

No, it's not "I'll take a swipe at the Vita". It doesn't make me happy that Tearaway is selling so bad, because it looks like very nice game. And I think there is a need for more games like this on the market. I'm actually more intrigued at your joy in bashing the Wii U with every occasion (and even saying that it will be irrelevant even if Mario will be no. 1 - not that there is any chance for that to happen, it will need to sell more than Wii U LTE for that) when you enjoy a handheld that has quite a similar story. And I'm also intrigued about considering no. 38 a success, but I understand your point. I still think W101 selling so bad it's a failure.
But I'm getting off-topic here somehow.

Phii

Banned
I will keep in mind that Tearaway's prize in PSN Europe is much cheaper than retail. I saw on the swedish PSN that over 1000 people already has rated this game (which is only allowed if you purchased the digital version), which is very rare, compared to Killzone Mercenary - to this day, only 765 people has rated the game (and Killzone was released 4 Sep 2013).

(Yeah, it doesn't say much but I think MM sell some copies through PSN).

EDIT: Im still sad the retail version isn't on top 15 :(

Steroyd

Just goes to show how important 3rd party devs are to the whole equation, whether or not they're just re-hash after re-hash or cheap shitty games.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
No, but a couple games have been for sale for two weeks.

Yes. This week, FIFA 14 for PS4 and Assassin's Creed IV for PS4 made their debut in charts.

Where the fu*k are the Guardian shares >_>

Nibel

Kind of sad how "charting at all" is considered a great result - I think Tearaway was released at the wrongest time possible and it's kind of upsetting since the game should be much higher if user and media reviews are any indication

Zelda did much better in the Xbox One week than I expected; makes me wonder how the game would have performed if next-gen wasn't around the corner

From the looks of it, NFS:Rivals bombed pretty hard

Hammer24

Banned
This is interesting, games released before consoles and they can still on chart.

Well, the sales numbers have not been spectacular the last couple of months, so everyone expects the Guardian shares to make more sense of the mere charts rankings.

From the looks of it, NFS:Rivals bombed pretty hard

Well, like people said, they had to compete with Forza. Lets wait what it does on PS4 before declaring it bomba.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Any estimate for the software numbers?

So far, these are the only estimates available

FIFA 14 (+328%) - 177,500
111,476 < Call of Duty: Ghosts (-16%) < 125,874
Battlefield 4 (+134%) - 72,168
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (+123%) - 69,032

Now, we just need Guardian shares that should be posted soon. I mean, they're quite late compared to other times, they can't be even more late, right? Right?
RIIIIIIGHT?!?! ;_; Someone contact Guardian.com NOW XD

Top Bottom