• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 49, 2007

RBH

Lightning said:
Only 2 days sales for Uncharted? I will wait for next week before calling bomba to anything.

Do we seriously have to deal with this redundant shit literally every week in the PAL threads? It's getting ridiculous at this point when people try to bring up this excuse.

Mario & Sonic is doing better than I thought it would, while Mass Effect continues to tumble on down.

Lightning

Banned
Lefty42o said:
i never said majority. i said alot as in more than 2.

the majority of the posters in the impression thread where those who were big followers of the game. the minority was those of us who were on the fence and the demo let us down. many of us were called trolls and banned. thus making the thread a giant orgy of love for uncharted.

as a ps3 owner and consumer the demo was a poor showing and the reason i did not buy the game. that was the point i was trying to make. had their been no demo and slightly diff marketing i might had bought it. how mayy others do you think are in the same position as i am.

which is why i said that the demo hurt it more than helped it.
On the other hand the demo for me sent my motivation for the game into overdrive. You can't generalize like that.

And sales can improve, just look at Mario & Sonic, it definitely wasn't no1 last week yet it improved. Of course, some idiots are going to say "OMG.... That fucking excuse again...GTFO" when it has happened before. I always find the 2nd week more conclusive then the first, I can recall saying the same thing with Mass Effect. Also the 2nd week can give an indication of what the legs will be like.

Is the first week sales disappointing? Of course, does that = Bomb? definitely not, imo.

RBH said:
Do we seriously have to deal with this redundant shit literally every week in the PAL threads? It's getting ridiculous at this point when people try to bring up this excuse.
Deal with this shit? What the hell? Perhaps you've been online a little too long buddy and need a break or perhaps removing the stick from your ass about comments that don't match your point of view.

haha now people are blaming poor sales on a FREE DEMO no less lol
sony is in rock and hard place sometimes...... no demo people dont buy. release a demo, people still dont buy win win situation for sure

RBH

Lightning said:
Deal with this shit? What the hell? Perhaps you've been online a little too long buddy and need a break or perhaps removing the stick from your ass about comments that don't match your point of view.

What point of view, exactly? All that I'm seeing is the same excuse ("it's only been released for two days", etc.) being trotted out seemingly every week whenever certain games come out, yet some people seem to never learn.

I'll be shocked if Uncharted charts above its current position next week. It's a terrific game no doubt about it and it deserves to sell better than Heavenly Sword imo, but unfortunately, the best games don't always sell as much as they should.

Lightning

Banned
All that I am saying is that next week will give a better indication to whether or not the game will ever do anything in the UK. I already accepted more then once that it's not a great first week but the game may have legs and I think it a bit premature to label bomb after 2 days sales.

Remember, Uncharted's word of mouth is generally positive, Heavenly Sword's for the most part was Sevenly Short.

Lobster

Banned
Hell ye! Congrats SEGA! This only confirms more Wii support from the wonderful and amazing SEGA! Secret Rings sequel!

Lightning said:
On the other hand the demo for me sent my motivation for the game into overdrive. You can't generalize like that.

And sales can improve, just look at Mario & Sonic, it definitely wasn't no1 last week yet it improved. Of course, some idiots are going to say "OMG.... That fucking excuse again...GTFO" when it has happened before. I always find the 2nd week more conclusive then the first, I can recall saying the same thing with Mass Effect. Also the 2nd week can give an indication of what the legs will be like.

Is the first week sales disappointing? Of course, does that = Bomb? definitely not, imo.

M&S is a casual game, Uncharted is a hardcore game. Casual games tend to sell sporadically, while hardcore games are front loaded. Don't expect uncharted to chart better next week.

909er

Lightning said:
All that I am saying is that next week will give a better indication to whether or not the game will ever do anything in the UK. I already accepted more then once that it's not a great first week but the game may have legs and I think it a bit premature to label bomb after 2 days sales.

Remember, Uncharted's word of mouth is generally positive, Heavenly Sword's for the most part was Sevenly Short.

Dude, I think people need to look at reality. He's right, everyone says "wait till next week" every week, and nobody learns. The game places lower the next week (bar the very few exceptions which seem to be Soccer or Nintendo related) and that fact is ignored and replaced by a new set of people saying "well, it's only been out 2 days". Even games that have long legs like Mario Galaxy have consistently placed under Assassins Creed 360. It didn't have a resurgence to the top. It's not gonna do better next week. Just like Mass Effect isn't going up from word of mouth, etc.

Sharp

Lobster said:
Hell ye! Congrats SEGA! This only confirms more Wii support from the wonderful and amazing SEGA! Secret Rings sequel!
I honestly don't know whether you're being sarcastic or not, dude.

Lightning

Banned
Well, if Uncharted doesn't improve next week then I will be very unhappy. Freakin excellent game.

It better not sell poorly in France, Germany, Spain and Italy as well because that will REALLY suck.

Lobster

Banned
Sharp said:
I honestly don't know whether you're being sarcastic or not, dude.

Half and Half. But I am happy that SEGA is supporting the Wii and getting good sales..as long as we still get awesome games like NiGHTS and a good Sonic game!

Sharp said:
It used to be "Blind NFan," I believe. Make of that what you will.

To be fair, I used that name because while I was lurking around here, I realised you get less attention and shrugged off if you do bannable shit if your name or tag was stupid..I didn't have a tag so the name was the way to go.

That didn't stop the Zelda TP incident though. :D

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
frAntic_Frog said:
haha now people are blaming poor sales on a FREE DEMO no less lol
sony is in rock and hard place sometimes...... no demo people dont buy. release a demo, people still dont buy win win situation for sure

I've changed preorders based on the Need for Speed Pro Street demo recently. I did not like it at all.

Kenka

I don't know if it was already posted but Nintendofrance strikes again :

Top du 12 novembre 2007 au 18 novembre 2007

1. (Wii) Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo)
2. (PS3) Assassin's Creed (Ubisoft)
3. (360) Assassin's Creed (Ubisoft)
4. (PS2) Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (Konami)
5. (PS3) Call of Duty 4 : Modern Warfare (Activision)
6. (360) Call of Duty 4 : Modern Warfare (Activision)
7. (Wii) Wii Play (Nintendo)
8. (PS2) Dragon Ball Z : Budokai Tenkaichi 3 (Namco Bandai)
9. (Wii) Rayman contre les Lapins ENCORE plus Crétins (Ubisoft)
10. (NDS) The Legend of Zelda : Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo)
11. (NDS) MySims (EA)
12. (NDS) New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
13. (NDS) Léa Passion Bébés (Ubisoft)
14. (NDS) Les Sims 2 : Naufragés (EA)
15. (NDS) Pokémon Diamant (Nintendo)
16. (NDS) Programme d'Entraînement Cérébral du Dr Kawashima : quel âge a votre cerveau ? (Nintendo)
17. (Wii) Mario Party 8 (Nintendo)
18. (NDS) Programme d'Entraînement Cérébral Avancé du Dr Kawashima : quel âge a votre cerveau ? (Nintendo)
19. (NDS) Léa Passion Mode (Ubisoft)
20. (NDS) Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)

Français, pourquoi achètes-tu Léa Passion Mode ? :lol

Arde5643

Sharp said:
AC better be a good game, because it's getting a shitload of sales.
It's not, that's why some folks, including me, are complaining seeing how Assasin's Mediocreed is selling shitloads better than Uncharted and Mario Galaxy.

Sean

Banned
AC is flawed but not a bad game by any means. It deserves the sales for actually attempting new things.

I'm glad, I thought this game would bomb but these sales pretty much ensures a sequel. And I'm confident that the AC team will address the issues of the first game (mostly they just have to add more variety to the missions and NPC dialog).

test_account said:
I see. I know that bundling will increase sales of course, just look at Wii Sports. But what if they bundle Uncharted? :p My point is that its too early to call it a bomba. Its only been out for a little time, no one knows how many copies it sold so far and how many copies it would sell.
It's been out as long as any game that debuts in the charts. As others have pointed out it being a hardcore game it'll be more frontloaded than stuff like RRR or M&S. It's funny though, all the people proclaimed SMG as a bomba right from the get-go when we knew it would've legs but we should wait on Uncharted?

If they decide to make a compelling bundle the sales may go up considerably. But that's not a given really. Just look at PES. Sony was pushing that bundle and everyone expected this to do very well, yet PES for PS3 still went down fast.

Arde5643 said:
Were gamers really taken in by Jade actually?

If so, that just shows how desperate most gamers are. :/
Maybe, maybe not, but they got a lot of free press out of it. Jade was even on the cover of the KulturSpiegel (Spiegel is a german mag, comparable to newsweek etc., the KulturSpiegel is an insert):

0,1020,1005623,00.jpg

Hammer24

Banned
Lightning said:

We are still talking about the game that got nicknamed "Dude Raider" on E3?
Just that people in the GAF demo impressions thread got shouted out or outright banned if they weren´t totally overhyped for the game doesn´t automatically mean that "the word of mouth is generally positive".
And once more: for the UK charts new games will always only get counted two days. And it got outsold by a third party Wii game (RRR) and frikkin Links Crossbow Training!

Fady K

Lightning said:
Well, if Uncharted doesn't improve next week then I will be very unhappy. Freakin excellent game.

It better not sell poorly in France, Germany, Spain and Italy as well because that will REALLY suck.

I agree with you man, that will suck.

Its just sad seriously - I mean Mario & Sonic - which is considered average at best and Assassin's Creed which is possibly the most deceptive release of this year that fooled many, and theyre selling a whole lot.

And after seeing No More Heroes shit sales in Japan recently along with Lost Odyssey's, I remember how just because a game sells doesnt mean its worth shit.

Kosma

Banned
Poor Uncharted, hope it climbs up a bit next week.

Hope the rest of Europe picks it up, I've certainly seen good sales of it in the store where I work.

And once more: for the UK charts new games will always only get counted two days. And it got outsold by a third party Wii game (RRR) and frikkin Links Crossbow Training!

RRR was Bundled with the Wii in a lot of shops and are you really suprised that a "zelda" game(or a new Wii peripheral depending on your outlook) outsold a new IP with a badly judged ad campaign(we don't like American voiceovers)

Kosma

Banned
When this gen is over a lot of so called gamers will be punching themselves in the face for skipping all those PS3 games.

oo Kosma oo said:
When this gen is over a lot of so called gamers will be punching themselves in the face for skipping all those PS3 games.

Why? From the reviews I read of Uncharted it does nothing particularly new It just does things well(ie a good genre piece). Or is there another game you are refering to?

Defuser

Lobster said:
To be fair, I used that name because while I was lurking around here, I realised you get less attention and shrugged off if you do bannable shit if your name or tag was stupid..I didn't have a tag so the name was the way to go.
I swear you keep on saying about the how you have a Nintendo raging in you even after the name change. Thats fucking creepy

Kosma

Banned
Cerebral Assassin said:
Why? From the reviews I read of Uncharted it does nothing particularly new It just does things well(ie a good genre piece). Or is there another game you are refering to?

PS3 games in general, Ratchet, Heavenly Sword, Uncharted. AAA games that no one picks up.

One day people will remember them as this gens Guardian Heroes, Panzer Dragoon, Burning Rangers etc. Gems that no one played.

oo Kosma oo said:
PS3 games in general, Ratchet, Heavenly Sword, Uncharted. AAA games that no one picks up.
I'll give you Ratchet and Uncharted... they need to sell and it's a real shame if they don't. But HS? Short + gameplay and graphics issues mean that this is not the game it should have been.

Nolan.

I wouldn't look for great Uncharted sales in other Euro territories. I would hope that it does amazingly in N/a to compensate. Especially since the other euro territories outside the Uk aren't that big for sales worth noting, outside the pc and now ds market.

oo Kosma oo said:

One day people will remember them as this gens Guardian Heroes, Panzer Dragoon, Burning Rangers etc. Gems that no one played.

Come on now, Heavenly sword doesn't compare(strictly gameplaywise the presentation is awesome) to genre games from the last gen(DMC NG GOW etc) let alone "classics" like Guardian Heroes.
I haven't played the others but according to reviews they do nothing new(ie they may be good games but I'm not really missing out not playing them)

Loudninja

Cerebral Assassin said:
Come on now, Heavenly sword doesn't compare(strictly gameplaywise the presentation is awesome) to genre games from the last gen(DMC NG GOW etc) let alone "classics" like Guardian Heroes.
I haven't played the others but according to reviews they do nothing new(ie they may be good games but I'm not really missing out not playing them)

Who gives a crap if a game is nothing new? Thats the dumbest thing I ever read.You might as well not play no games this gen, because most are nothing new

Tendou

Banned
The "nothing new" argument is growing a bit tired...

How come Uncharted: Drake's Fortune gets discredited for doing nothing new, while Bioshock for example gets praised because of it's presentation and polish?
In my opinion, both games offer very solid gameplay experiences and feature great art and a compelling atmophere.

I just don't get why people focus on certain aspects in one game but ignore them in another.

Agent Icebeezy

Tendou said:
The "nothing new" argument is growing a bit tired...

How come Uncharted: Drake's Fortune gets discredited for doing nothing new, while Bioshock for example gets praised because of it's presentation and polish?
In my opinion, both games offer very solid gameplay experiences and feature great art and a compelling atmophere.

I just don't get why people focus on certain aspects in one game but ignore them in another.

For the Mayweather - Hatton fight, I was watching an English stream and they were advertising Bioshock heavily during the fight. I didn't see a PS3 ad.

Agent Icebeezy

Tendou said:
And that's relevant... how?

I'm talking about sales, this is a thread about sales. You all are whining about what you figure to be good gaming quality and bad gaming quality.

NekoFever

I really can't believe how much the Training games have become here (UK) recently. At work we sold out of Brain Training and More Brain Training twice in a week and I keep hearing middle aged people talking about how it's improved their mental arithmetic or that of their school-aged kids. Advertising for it is everywhere, it's constantly being featured on TV, and the number of sales from word of mouth recommendations must be phenomenal. This is really turning into DS land.

Who gives a crap if a game is nothing new? Thats the dumbest thing I ever read.You might as well not play no games this gen, because most are nothing new

He was saying that I would regret not playing any of those games in the future(like people regret not plaing GH, Burning rangers etc.) my point is none of the games listed do anything new in their respective genres(again to reiterate I'm not calling these bad games) so why would I regret not playing them? Or are you guys honestly trying to tell me in 10yrs time people will be holding up R&C,Uncharted &HS as some of the best games of the gen?(I would lay money that HS at least won't make in into the top 10 PS3 titles)

Because Bioshock has an atmosphere that is rare in games where Uncharted looks like a **** Raider clone, so people are a bit put off by this, perhaps.

Frillen

oo Kosma oo said:

Did you just call Heavenly Sword an AAA title? I think you just did :lol

LoudNinja said:

In English please.

Tendou

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
I'm talking about sales, this is a thread about sales. You all are whining about what you figure to be good gaming quality and bad gaming quality.
Still doesn't explain why you quoted my post...

Cerebral Assassin said:
Because Bioshock has an atmosphere that is rare in games where Uncharted looks like a **** Raider clone, so people are a bit put off by this, perhaps.
You're talking about the theme of the games...

Bioshock's boasts a 50's theme, which is quite refreshing. Uncharted's jungle/ruin theme has been done before by a few games. You're right about that.

But that's not what Bioshock got credited for. It's atmosphere was credited - rightfully so. The way it's world came to life through visuals, sound and immersion.
This isn't any different with Uncharted, yet it hardly receives any praise for it...

This isn't any different with Uncharted, yet it hardly receives any praise for it..

Because you are always going to get more praise for portraying a world(theme) that isn't seen too often than something that comes across as generic(look at the box-art, adverts etc.)

pswii60

Lobster said:

That didn't stop the Zelda TP incident though. :D

Wha? I thought having two accounts was a bannable offence.

Tendou

Banned
Cerebral Assassin said:
Because you are always going to get more praise for portraying a world(theme) that isn't seen too often than something that comes across as generic(look at the box-art, adverts etc.)
What you say is true and I find this to be a sad thing.

I don't think you can discredit a game based on it's setting/theme. Call of Duty 4 and Mass Effect are two examples of quality games with commong settings.

A game with great atmosphere and immersion should be given it's deserved credit.

Gameplay is no different. In my opinion, Bioshock does nothing really new when it comes to gameplay, but it boasts a very solid system. I feel the same about Uncharted...

It just feels like the gaming media is unsure of how to review this generation's games and this is mirrored by the gaming community in general.

Jokeropia

Kenka said:
I don't know if it was already posted but Nintendofrance strikes again :

Top du 12 novembre 2007 au 18 novembre 2007

1. (Wii) Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo)
2. (PS3) Assassin's Creed (Ubisoft)
3. (360) Assassin's Creed (Ubisoft)
4. (PS2) Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (Konami)
5. (PS3) Call of Duty 4 : Modern Warfare (Activision)
6. (360) Call of Duty 4 : Modern Warfare (Activision)
7. (Wii) Wii Play (Nintendo)
8. (PS2) Dragon Ball Z : Budokai Tenkaichi 3 (Namco Bandai)
9. (Wii) Rayman contre les Lapins ENCORE plus Crétins (Ubisoft)
10. (NDS) The Legend of Zelda : Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo)
11. (NDS) MySims (EA)
12. (NDS) New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
13. (NDS) Léa Passion Bébés (Ubisoft)
14. (NDS) Les Sims 2 : Naufragés (EA)
15. (NDS) Pokémon Diamant (Nintendo)
16. (NDS) Programme d'Entraînement Cérébral du Dr Kawashima : quel âge a votre cerveau ? (Nintendo)
17. (Wii) Mario Party 8 (Nintendo)
18. (NDS) Programme d'Entraînement Cérébral Avancé du Dr Kawashima : quel âge a votre cerveau ? (Nintendo)
19. (NDS) Léa Passion Mode (Ubisoft)
20. (NDS) Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)

Français, pourquoi achètes-tu Léa Passion Mode ? :lol
France rocks!

Frillen, can you update the OP with the new charts? (Only France so far I think.)
TheRipDizz said:
Behold the future of gaming. Thanks Wii Sports.
That order does not hold true for worldwide sales and will hardly be the case for UK lifetime sales either.

Sean said:
AC is flawed but not a bad game by any means. It deserves the sales for actually attempting new things.

Oh please. These "new things" aren't worth anything without a good game, and there isn't a good game here. There is however a shit game with apparent mainstream appeal, and that's why it sells. It's a shame, because Ubi should not be rewarded for this. When they implement these new things into a functioning and worthwhile game, then they can get credit for it. This? No, and it's a slap in the face of quality game design that the tripe sells as well as it does.

Cerebral Assassin said:
my point is none of the games listed do anything new in their respective genres(again to reiterate I'm not calling these bad games) so why would I regret not playing them?

Because they are quality games, with masterful game design and production values well above the norm? But you know, fuck quality.

Kosma

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Oh please. These "new things" aren't worth anything without a good game, and there isn't a good game here. There is however a shit game with apparent mainstream appeal, and that's why it sells. It's a shame, because Ubi should not be rewarded for this. When they implement these new things into a functioning and worthwhile game, then they can get credit for it. This? No, and it's a slap in the face of quality game design that the tripe sells as well as it does.

Have to agree with Andrews here. After the first assassination I just sold the game because I didn't like it.

Assassin's Creed does much more right than it does wrong.

The gameplay controls, first off, are flawless, responsive, and intuitive enough for casual gamers to pick up right away.

The story is compelling.

The game looks and sounds amazing (if you're playing the 360 version at least).

The biggest problem that people seem to have is the repetitive mission structure. But I'd rather have a free-roam game with great gameplay and limited mission structure (like Crackdown or AC) than one with tons of throwaway minigames and variety with clumsy shit gameplay (hello GTA).

The variety for me in AC comes in the different ways you can approach each scenario, learning more of the story during each of the objectives (who knew those eavesdropping missions actually had a point?), in scaling the massive, well-detailed architecture, just looking around, and in general just causing mayhem.

oo Kosma oo said:

Have to agree with Andrews here. After the first assassination I just sold the game because I didn't like it.

It's one thing to not think the game is flawless (it's not), it's another thing to think the game isn't great (it may not be your cup of tea), but it's a completely different beast altogether to say the game is worthless and try and tell people that Heavenly fucking Sword is an unappreciated masterpiece. Martyring of PS3 exclusives has already begun I see, even though the millions who own the console right now could give less than two shits about them.

Top Bottom