• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 9, 2012

Can any calculations be done on the numbers we got (calculated) last week to get a rough idea of just how bad the sales are this week?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Can any calculations be done on the numbers we got (calculated) last week to get a rough idea of just how bad the sales are this week?

Well, calculated sales of Unchy Golden Abyss at launch were around 25K (if I remember correctly!!!), so this week could be around 7.5K

Just rough numbers, no "true" here. At all.

No clue about SSX and MarioParty.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Well, calculated sales of Unchy Golden Abyss at launch were around 25K (if I remember correctly!!!), so this week could be around 7.5K

Not quite. UC:GA sold at least 26k last week but there was no upper boundary defined, it could have very well been closer to 50k than 25k.

Hammer24

Banned
It starts to look like a new pattern - every new release does OK, while nothing older than a week has legs and sells horrendously. I shiver in anticipation of the numbers.

All we were really able to say is that UC was minimum 26k last week so it would be at least 7.5k this week.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Not quite. UC:GA sold at least 26k last week but there was no upper boundary defined, it could have very well been closer to 50k than 25k.

Well, the following was what I meant:

All we were really able to say is that UC was minimum 26k last week so it would be at least 7.5k this week.

sorry if I wasn't clear

that said, looking at leaked HW numbers I think that first week should be really near to the "minimum" we set last week

Wow at Vita's domination in French top 5!

All things being considered, Vita may have been performing possibly better in France than in U.K. and Germany, but we'll never know for sure unless actual hardware numbers for each country are disclosed.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Wow at Vita's domination in French top 5!

All things being considered, Vita may have been performing better in France than in U.K. and Germany, but we'll never know for sure unless actual numbers for each country are disclosed.

yeah.
due to the "misterious" sony's PR that stated only confusing WW numbers, I think that we will have to wait until the end of March (end of FY) to see some "real" number...

test_account

XP-39C²
Uncharted 3 has been charting for 18 weeks in a row now and havnt left the chart since it launched, very impressive. Probably the longest charting PS3 game i think? Well, i guess that some Call of Duty game hold that record, but besides that :) Also very good hold for Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart, they havnt left the chart since launch either.

I'm curious how the next week will compare. In the 3rd week, the 3DS had no titles in the Top 40. Since there arent many upcoming Vita games in the near future, i guess we will see something similar (not next week though).

Radec

France:
Week 8, 2012 - Individual Console Formats (Units)

01 (NE) [PSV] Uncharted: Golden Abyss (Sony Computer Ent.)
02 (NE) [PSV] Fifa Football (Electronic Arts)
03 (NE) [3DS] Mario et Sonic aux Jeux Olympiques de Londres 2012 (Sega)
04 (NE) [PSV] Rayman Origins (Ubisoft)
05 (NE) [PSV] Wipeout 2048 (Sony Computer Ent.)

Dafuq is this sorcery ?

Vita software not doomed?

liger05

Apparently Vita sold short of 250,000 units in Europe on launch week (roughly half PSP's number). 42k in France.

Source is lefigaro.fr, relayed here but the original is for suscribers only.

Sony could clear it all up as there press release did not. 250,000 seems too low!

jvm

Gamasutra.
That would mean that it sold around 400k in the US in february. Guess we'll figure out soon.
Isn't that the same article from the week 8 thread? I didn't see a source for the figures, which makes me suspicious.

As an example of what's going around, Joystiq linked to a VentureBeat article which cited Statista (PARTNERED WITH DOW JONES!) who put VG Chärtz data into a graph that all the others then printed. Purportedly showed global first week sales for all these different handhelds, including the Vita. :(

Raist

Banned
US + rest of world (Latin America, Asia etc)

That wouldn't be too unreasonable imo.

If US sales are like 200k I don't think South America and Asia minus Japan would explain the missing 200k :p

Isn't that the same article from the week 8 thread? I didn't see a source for the figures, which makes me suspicious.

As an example of what's going around, Joystiq linked to a VentureBeat article which cited Statista (PARTNERED WITH DOW JONES!) who put VG Chärtz data into a graph that all the others then printed. Purportedly showed global first week sales for all these different handhelds, including the Vita. :(

lefigaro isn't usually too far from reality, but yeah, they don't cite their source. They clearly didn't use ******** tho as these guys have the vita at 65k for week 1 in France.

Yes it's the same article from last thread

jvm

Gamasutra.
lefigaro isn't usually too far from reality, but yeah, they don't cite their source. They clearly didn't use ******** tho as these guys have the vita at 65k for week 1 in France.
That's a fair point, but still not a proof. :) Perhaps someone could ask them the original source of the data, just to clear it up?

TOP 10 All Platform

1 UNCHARTED L'ABISSO D'ORO PS Vita SONY
2 JUST DANCE 3 WII UBISOFT
3 UNCHARTED 3 L'INGANNO DI DRAKE PS3 SONY
4 KIRBY'S ADVENTURE WII NINTENDO
5 FIFA FOOTBALL PS Vita ELECTRONIC ARTS
6 FIFA 12 PS3 ELECTRONIC ARTS
7 MARIO KART 7 3DS NINTENDO
8 CALL OF DUTY MODERN WARFARE 3 PS3 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
9 MARIO & SONIC AI GIOCHI OLIMPICI DI LONDRA 2012 3DS SEGA
10 WII PLAY MOTION + WII REMOTE PLUS WII NINTENDO

Top 10 PS Vita Chart

1 UNCHARTED L'ABISSO D'ORO SONY
2 FIFA FOOTBALL ELECTRONIC ARTS
3 RAYMAN ORIGINS UBISOFT
4 WIPEOUT 2048 SONY
5 RIDGE RACER NAMCO
6 LITTLE DEVIANTS SONY
7 NINJA GAIDEN SIGMA PLUS TECMO
8 ULTIMATE MARVEL VS CAPCOM 3 CAPCOM
9 VIRTUA TENNIS 4 SEGA
10 ASPHALT INJECTION UBISOFT

Sheikh

Banned
major bump in sales of UC3 all around europe ,which is nice to see. After all, it is just an amazing game that virtually has no peer. After a record breaking 3.8m day 1 shipment for the game , i expect this to sell well for quite some time down the line. UC PSVITA sales prove that it is indeed a strong franchise

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
The 3DS did 330k, so 250k for Vita seems reasonable in comparison i think.

Yes, but usually in western market Sony platforms debuted better than Nintendo platform, so considering also the price (3ds was 250 at launch) to me should not be so "strong" for the new "hitech" Sony release.

Raist

Banned
For what it's worth, the french market is roughly twice bigger than the spanish one. Don't remember the spanish numbers for Vita (21k) being dismissed, so a 40k ballpark for France seems reasonable, especially since 4 games out of the top 5 are vita releases.

Bruno MB

11 (13) [3DS] Super Mario 3d Land (Nintendo)
22 (30) [3DS] Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo)

It has been 3 months since both games were released, and I never thought that it was possible for SM3DL to keep up with MK7. In fact, in the latest weeks SM3DL has been outselling MK7.

What was the consensus sales-wise for the Mario platform title before its release?

It has been 3 months since both games were released, and I never thought that it was possible for SM3DL to keep up with MK7. In fact, in the latest weeks SM3DL has been outselling MK7.

What was the consensus sales-wise for the Mario platform title before its release?
more successful than most if not all 3d titles but less than 2d mario

test_account

XP-39C²
Yes, but usually in western market Sony platforms debuted better than Nintendo platform, so considering also the price (3ds was 250 at launch) to me should not be so "strong" for the new "hitech" Sony release.
I think that times have changed, especially after the huge success of the DS and the Wii. And also with the increased popularity of the smartphones and tablets. But i'm not surprised if the Vita did 250k in Europe in its first days. Seems reasonable to me looking at the 3DS numbers.

Nederland:
1) Just Dance 3 (Wii)
2) SSX: Deadly Descents (PS3)
3) COD: Modern Warfare 3 (PS3)
4) FIFA 12 (PS3)
5) SSX: Deadly Descents (X360)
6) Battlefield 3 (PS3)
7) Mario & Sonic At The London 2012 Olympic Games (Wii)
8) Mario Kart 7 (3DS)
9) Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
10) Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure (Wii)

http://www.dutchcharts.nl/game_charts.asp

Impressive to see Sony faring so well in Europe with a much more expensive handheld considering the economic environment there.

Doing 250k and costing that much more than the 3DS has to be considered a success.

Doing 250k and costing that much more than the 3DS has to be considered a success.
Success comes over the long term, not the short term. As Sony themselves once said:

"We have built up a certain brand equity over time since the launch of PlayStation in 1995 and PS2 in 2000 that the first five million are going to buy it, whatever it is, even if it didn't have games"

There will always be the hardcore who will go out in droves for a product launch. How it does in the weeks and months to come will tell the real story (see the 3DS and the forced price drop).

Hmm, 250K in the principle EU markets.

I guess my 250K NPD prediction might work out okay, if LA, Asia and non-EU PAL land bought 100K.

BKK

Based on last week's FIFA estimate;

FIFA 12 ALL = <14k x .95 = <13.3k
FIFA 12 360 (50%) - <6.7k
FIFA 12 PS3 (35%) - <4.7k
FIFA 12 Wii (5%) - <0.7k
FIFA 12 PSP (4%) - <0.6k

MP9 - <14k

M&S WII (60%) - <6.7k
M&S ALL (100%) - <12k
M&S 3DS (39%) - <4.4k

COD 360 (48%) - <4.7k
COD ALL (100%) - <9.8k
COD PS3 (42%) - <4.2k

FIFA PSV - <9.8k

UFC PS3 (44%) - <4.7k
UFC ALL (100%) - <11k
UFC 360 (55%) - <5.9k

BF3 360 (49%) - <4.2k
BF3 ALL (100%) - <8.5k
BF3 PS3 (37%) - <3.2k
BF3 PC (12%) - <1.1k

01 (NE) [360] Ssx (Electronic Arts)
02 (NE) [PS3] Ssx (Electronic Arts)
03 (NE) [WII] Mario Party 9 (Nintendo) - <14k
04 (01) [PSV] Uncharted: Golden Abyss (Sony Computer Ent.)
05 (02) [PSV] Fifa Football (Electronic Arts) - <9.8k
06 (09) [360] Fifa 12 (Electronic Arts) - <6.7k
07 (16) [PS3] Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (Sony Computer Ent.)
08 (07) [WII] Mario & Sonic London 2012 Olympic Games (Sega)
09 (03) [360] Ufc Undisputed 3 (Thq) - <5.9k
10 (20) [WII] Zumba Fitness (505 Games)
11 (13) [3DS] Super Mario 3d Land (Nintendo)
12 (21) [PS3] Fifa 12 (Electronic Arts) - <4.7k
13 (14) [WII] Just Dance 3 (Ubisoft)
14 (17) [360] Forza Motorsport 4 (Microsoft)
15 (08) [360] Syndicate (Electronic Arts)
16 (27) [WII] Zumba Fitness 2 (505 Games)
17 (12) [360] Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Activision Blizzard)
18 (05) [PS3] Ufc Undisputed 3 (Thq)
19 (28) [NDS] Moshi Monsters: Moshling Zoo (Mind Candy)
20 (RE) [360] Assassin's Creed: Revelations (Ubisoft)
21 (36) [360] Saints Row: The Third (Thq)
22 (30) [3DS] Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo)
23 (24) [3DS] Mario & Sonic London 2012 Olympic Games (Sega) - <4.4k
24 (15) [PS3] Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Activision Blizzard) - <4.2k
25 (11) [360] Battlefield 3 (Electronic Arts)
26 (23) [PS3] Final Fantasy Xiii-2 (Square Enix Europe)
27 (RE) [360] Batman: Arkham City (Warner Bros. Interactive)
28 (29) [360] The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Bethesda Softworks)
29 (RE) [PS3] Assassin's Creed: Revelations (Ubisoft)
30 (RE) [PS3] Batman: Arkham City (Warner Bros. Interactive)
31 (RE) [360] Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning (Electronic Arts)
32 (06) [PSV] Rayman Origins (Ubisoft)
33 (22) [360] Final Fantasy Xiii-2 (Square Enix Europe)
34 (32) [PS3] Battlefield 3 (Electronic Arts) - <3.2k
35 (RE) [360] Rage (Bethesda Softworks)
36 (RE) [360] Zumba Fitness Rush (505 Games)
37 (RE) [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)
38 (18) [PS3] The Jak And Daxter Trilogy (Sony Computer Ent.)
39 (RE) [PC] Football Manager 2012 (Sega)
40 (RE) [360] Kinect Sports (Microsoft)

liger05

Impressive to see Sony faring so well in Europe with a much more expensive handheld considering the economic environment there.

But the 3DS launched @ the same price and if im reading right did 300k in its first weekend in Europe.

Back calculating UC:GA gives us its debut range at between ~26K to ~48K.

At 31% of launch software sales that would put total PSV launch week software at between ~84K to ~159K.

Launch retail tie ratio somewhere between 1.7-3.2 assuming the 50K hardware number is accurate.

Calculation error obviously huge.

But the 3DS launched @ the same price and if im reading right did 300k in its first weekend in Europe.

Well 20 euros more expensive at least I guess, as the 3DS has 4GB of storage included, right? So you need to add at least the price of a 4GB card, which is 20 euro? Not that it matters that much, but many people will have spent at least 270 or more (I got a 16GB card myself, for 60 euros)

BKK

Back calculating UC:GA gives us its debut range at between ~33.8K to ~48.2K.

At 31% of launch software sales that would put total PSV launch week software at between ~109K to ~159K.

Launch retail tie ratio somewhere between 2-3 assuming the 50K hardware number is accurate.

Calculation error obviously huge.

That's not right "<" means "less than", which means that FIFA PSV sold between 0 and 9.8k. Thus for UC:GA the chart only shows that it sold between 0 and 14k this week (but as we estimated lower end of 26k last week we can say it sold at least 7.5k this week). Anyway, we should get more accurate estimates for it this week or next hopefully.

That's not right "<" means "less than", which means that FIFA PSV sold between 0 and 9.8k. Thus for UC:GA the chart only shows that it sold between 0 and 14k this week (but as we estimated lower end of 26k last week we can say it sold at least 7.5k this week). Anyway, we should get more accurate estimates for it this week or next hopefully.
Oh I see, my mistake - read all the numbers as minimums for some reason.

01 (NE) [360] Ssx (Electronic Arts)
02 (NE) [PS3] Ssx (Electronic Arts)
03 (NE) [WII] Mario Party 9 (Nintendo) - <14k
04 (01) [PSV] Uncharted: Golden Abyss (Sony Computer Ent.)
05 (02) [PSV] Fifa Football (Electronic Arts) - <9.8k
06 (09) [360] Fifa 12 (Electronic Arts) - <6.7k
07 (16) [PS3] Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (Sony Computer Ent.)
08 (07) [WII] Mario & Sonic London 2012 Olympic Games (Sega)
09 (03) [360] Ufc Undisputed 3 (Thq) - <5.9k
10 (20) [WII] Zumba Fitness (505 Games)
Those numbers are just... ugh.

Top 5 games doing sub 14k. =/

So if Uncharted dropped 71% and is at best 14000:

14000 / 29 = 483 (1%)

483 * 100 = 48,276 (100%)

First week = 48,276
Second week = 14,000
LTD = 62,275

I read in some thread here that the UK is supposed to be the 2nd largest gaming market in the world. Looking at these abysmal numbers that doesn't make any sense at all, especially when comparing them to the Japanese charts.

Are there reliable numbers for other EU-countries? With these low numbers I'd assume that either Germany or France probably sell more games than the UK.

Top Bottom